Chapter 22

Kidnap Me Hyung

 

From that day on, Onew was glued to Taemin's side. Wherever Taemin went, Onew followed, like a shadow. During work, Minseok showed up everyday to help, worried that if he didn't, Onew would become too distracted by Taemin and accidentally burn himself or something. 
Joon stayed close as well, as did Jonghyun whenever he wasn't busy with schedule. Taemin appreciated that they cared, but at the same time, guilt was eating away at him. It felt like his friends were dropping everything for him, and as grateful that he was, he felt selfish, and wished he could do more than cower behind them in fear.  
One good thing came out of the encounter though. Since Taemin had seen his parents, Jongin had given up sneaking around, and Taemin was finally able to see his friend outside of practice. They still didn't meet at the cafe- both agreed the Lee's shouldn't know where Taemin was living- but they would rendezvous in parks or other restaurants. 
Along with that, the date of the concert was quickly approaching, less than two weeks until Taemin got to stand on stage. Tensions were running high, every missed step felt like the end of the world. The stress was getting to Taemin, making him less the happy-go-lucky  Taeminnie Onew knew and turning him into a total diva. Taemin forbade Onew from his dance practices, stating that he couldn't afford to be distracted for even a millisecond, and even their skinship became almost non existant. 
Taemin knew he was being unfair, and sometimes downright mean, but he couldn't help it. He'd worked towards this moment for so long, he couldn't let any potential threat get in the way of his dancing. Yes, Onew was a potential threat. Late nights were especially dangerous, and it was only fear for his dancing that kept the two apart in bed. 

One day after meeting Jongin, everything changed. As Taemin walked home, music blaring through his headphones, he caught sight of something in the corner of his eye. He spun around quickly, but nothing was in sight. Suspicion clouding his mind, he continued  down the road, pulling his phone out as he did so. Using the camera as a mirror, he covertly scanned their area, a shiver of fear running through him when he realized he was being followed by a car. He looked closer, and noticed the familiar logo for SM corporations. 
His parents were following him. 
Trying to look as natural as possible, he turned down the first alley he saw, running as soon as was out of view. At the end was a wall, but Taemin cleared it easily with the help of a dumpster. It felt like he was in a movie, except these villains were all to real.  
Ten minutes, a few more turns, another wall, and a particularly terrifying street cat later, Taemin had lost them. With a sigh of relief, he began making his way back to the cafe, hands shaking slightly from the close encounter. 
Head down, Taemin walked into the cafe, trying to avoid Onew eyes. He was sure he looked like crap, but what could he do about it? All he could do was hope that Onew wasn't paying attention.
"Taemin, what's wrong?" Taemin sighed internally. Today was not his day.
"Nothing hyung, I'm just tired. I'm going to go rest, wake me up when you get upstairs okay?"
Taemin gave Onew a small smile and squeezed his hand lightly behind the counter. Despite everything, Onew was still skittish about any public displays of affection, even that simple touch was enough to scare the barista. 
"Arasso Minnie." Onew said, smiling brightly in return. Taemin dropped his hand and headed upstairs, feeling guilty for lying to the elder. In his room, Taemin immediately walked over to the bed and fell onto it, letting out a groan of despair as he did. Throwing his arm over his head to block out the light, his mind went back to the events from earlier.
The sight of his parents so close to home-yes, he had finally come to consider Onew's house his own- shook him up, to say the least. He didn't dare tell Onew, fearing that it would only fuel the elder to do something stupid. As calm and collected as the elder usually was, Taemin knew if it appeared that he was in trouble, Onew wouldn't hesitate and would do anything to protect him. Taemin loved him for that, but he couldn't always let Onew fight his battles for him.
The appearance of his parents once again did, however, pose a troublesome question: what did Taemin do? He knew that if he stayed, it would only make it easier for him and Onew to be found. He also knew he stood no chance against his parents, and that even if he wanted, he couldn't protect Onew by using force.
That left only one option. Taemin had to leave. 
The thought of having to leave, even if it was only to move back in with Jongin, made him sick to his stomach. He'd grown used to having the elder around, used to waking up to his smiling face. Taemin didn't want to leave the warm home to go back to sleeping in his bed, cold and alone. He couldn't imagine falling asleep without Onew's arms wrapped around him. Leaving the elder felt impossible, but he had to do it. To protect Onew.
Deciding on leaving and telling Onew turned out to be two very different things. Deciding was relatively easy, but telling Onew he was leaving felt like an impossible task, and it took three days before he finally gathered the courage to pull Onew aside one evening to reveal his plan. 
They had just closed up shop for the day, and Minseok and Luhan-the younger barista's equally adorable boyfriend- had said their goodbyes only a few moments before. Joon had left to get some dinner from a nearby grocery store, leaving Taemin alone to tell Onew. Multiple scenarios ran through Taemin's brain, depicting how this conversation would go, but none ended well. The first thing, Taemin thought, was that he needed to start off without scaring Onew.
"Hyung, we have to talk." Okay, there goes that plan. 
Onew looked up from his notepad, where he had been busy writing down what looked like lyrics. The elder's dark eyebrows drew together in confusion, staring at Taemin with a mixture of curiosity and wariness.
"What is it?" 
"I think I'm going to move out." 
Onew dropped his pencil, letting it clatter to the floor. "What?" He said, voice small.
"I'm not leaving, don't worry. I'm just going to move back with Jongin."
"Did I do something?" Onew was suddenly distraught, every feature on his face revealing how hurt he felt.
"No, no!" Taemin shook his head. "It's just..." Taemin paused as he tried to find a reason without telling Onew that he had seen his parents again. "I've been thinking, my parents already found me, so it's pretty much pointless for me to stay here."
"I thought you liked it here? Do you not want to live with me? Are you sure I didn't do something wrong?"
Taemin sighed. "Hyung, I know you want to keep me close, but I don't want to risk them knowing where you live."
"That's what this is? Taemin, you know I don't care-"
"But I do hyung! I can't stand the thought of them hurting you."  He was afraid if he looked into the elder's warm, caring eyes, he would break down and beg the elder to stop him. 
"Please, Taemin, don't go."
"Hyung, I don't want you to get hurt."
"I'll be fine, just stay." 
"This isn't up for discussion. I would never forgive myself if something happened to you because of my parents. I'm going, that's final." 
"I can't lose you Kibum!"
Taemin froze, silence falling over the two.
"What did you call me?" Taemin said, eyes filled with disbelief. 
"I-I didn't mean- it was a slip of the tongue-" 
"Is that all I am to you? Another Kibum? You and Jonghyun both always compare him to me, well news flash hyung, I'm not Kibum."
"Taemin, I didn't mean-"
"But you did! You always do!" Taemin's eyes were red with tears that refused to fall. Venom in his voice and fists tightly clenched, he stared down the elder.
"Do you even love me hyung? Or am I just your second chance?"
"No, Taemin it's not like that, I swear! It will never happen again." Onew said desperately, but Taemin wasn't listening, busy shoving on his shoes and grabbing his bag.
"Where are you going?" Worry colored Onew's voice. Taemin wasn't leaving him, he couldn't be leaving him. 
"I'm going to the studio. Don't follow." Taemin replied coldly.
"When will you be back?" Onew's voice was hushed, almost afraid to hear the answer. 
Taemin shook his head. "I won't." He said,  and slammed the door. Onew stared at the door, distraught. Slowly, he moved backward, until his legs hit the couch, and fell onto it heavily.
What had he done?

-------------------

oh my gosh guys I'm sorry this is so late and short D: school is absolutely crazy, I have my ACT test in two weeks, and I'm taking three extra classes in preparation for it right now. (For those who don't live in the US/ take the SAT instead, it's pretty much the test that will determine whether or not I'm able to go to a decent college) I'll try to get the next chapter up before the test, but I make no promises. Please forgive me!!