iii

Let's Meet Again

Over the next few weeks, Dongho found himself subconsciously returning to room 629 after his classes to spend time with the cardiomyopathy patient. The more he talked to her, the more her unique charm overshadowed her similarity to Hyeji. He tried to avoid his uncle as much as possible because he knew Dr.Shin would have more than enough to say about this situation. Dongho would occasionally walk Mi Ran to her check-ups and see his uncle smiling a fatherly smile for a split second before the door closes in front of him. 

 

 

Mi Ran's 17th birthday was nearing and it would be a lie if one said that Dongho wasn't even just the slightest bit worried about presents. He knew of the fact that her parents rarely visited her and their family situations were a bit similar. At the hospital, there weren't that many longtime patients that hadn't already passed or could get get her a present to celebrate her birthday.

 

 

Therefore, Dongho tried in the slyest way to wriggle out an answer to what Mi Ran wanted the most for her birthday. 

 

 

Junho was already getting her a doll so that was scratched off the list. It seemed as though she had all of the books in the world already. Dongho was in a tough bind.

 

 

"Have you ever used your wish before?" Dongho asked one day as the two sat by the window. 

 

 

Dongho was sitting on the bean bag chair while Mi Ran was situated on the wooden rocking chair. Mi Ran looked up from her novel, surprised by his sudden question. 

 

 

She shook her head. "I gave it to someone else because I want nothing more. Why do you ask?"

 

 

Dongho sighed, shaking his head at her angelic personality. "There's absolutely nothing that you want? Not even things you want to do or places you want to go to?" he pressed on, trying to get an answer out of her. "I mean, there has to be something."

 

 

Mi Ran shrugged. "I've always wanted to go to Hogwarts or Narnia," she whispered. 

 

 

He blinked. Well, that wasn't going to work out. Rhythmically tapping his fingers on his knee, he continued. "Um, is that all?"

 

 

The girl looked down at her book without replying right away. 

 

 

Dongho could only stare at her as she swam through the thoughts in her mind. He had to admit, she was pretty darn beautiful. She had such soft, delicate features and he felt like she would break at any given moment because she seemed that fragile. She was always so soft-spoken and was the type of person that kept to herself most of the time, a main characteristic that they both shared. She had the most beautiful eyes that he'd ever stared into in all 20 years of his life. Her eyes were so endless that he felt as if he could drown in her grey orbs. 

 

 

"I wish to—go to school with you."

 

 

Mi Ran's reply had been in the softest voice she'd ever used but Dongho heard her wish loud and clear. 

 

 

Before Dongho could react, Nurse Ahn barged into the room. "Mi Ran-ssi, it's time for your IV drip." she announced.

 

 

The two youngsters turned to look at the nurse that was pushing a cart in front of her. Dongho stood up first to help Mi Ran get up onto her feet, her answer replaying in his head. 

 

 

Nurse Ahn's arrival was Dongho's cue to leave for the day. He bid Mi Ran and her attending nurse farewell before making his way home. Now that he knew what Mi Ran wanted for her birthday, he didn't know how to go about granting it. He wondered if she was ready to attend university seeing as to how she had never been in an actual school before even if it would just be for one day. He didn't even know if she was even allowed to, especially since her attending physician is so protective. Dongho knew that as a matter of fact more than anything else.

 

 

He was reluctant. She was too feeble and he didn't know if she would be able to keep up with the fast pace of university. 

 

 

Dongho bit his lip as he entered the empty mansion, suddenly missing Mi Ran's quiet presence that he had gotten so used to. As he fell back onto his bed with an arm over his forehead, Mi Ran's wish replayed in his head. He couldn't erase the image of her sparkling, hopeful eyes as she had confessed the wish to him. There was no way that he would be able to just ignore her. It was the only thing that she wanted, and he couldn't pass it up. 

 

 

While busily contemplating over the situation, Dongho fell into a deep slumber.

 

 

"Dongho-yah!" a little girl, who looked to be around 7, exclaimed. She ran up to the boy who had been older than her by only a year, jumping into his arms. Fortunately, the grass in the garden cushioned their fall as the weight of the girl brought Dongho down. 

 

 

The two laughed, helping each other up off of the floor.

 

 

"Yah, Lee Hyeji, what did I tell you about overexerting yourself?" the child version of Dongho scolded, patting dirt off of the girl's hospital gown. 

 

 

Hyeji sheepishly beamed up at him, throwing her arms around his waist. "I just missed you so much! You never come visit me anymore!" 

 

 

Dongho's expression softened, patting the younger girl's hair. "Walk with me?" he requested.

 

 

The little girl squealed, latching herself onto his arm immediately, 

 

 

With a smile, the two began to stroll around the hospital garden. They volleyed back and forth casual questions about current events in their lives, admiring the nature around them as they cruised along.

 

 

"Oppa-yah," Hyeji called, earning Dongho's attention. "Do you know what I want to be when I grow up?" 

 

 

Dongho looked down at her as they walked with an affectionate look on his face. "What?" he asked to entertain her although he most likely already knew her answer. 

 

 

He had been expecting the usual answers pertaining to music, modeling, or teaching, but those weren't the ones that came out of .

 

 

"I want to be Dongho's most beloved," she shyly admitted, turning her head to the side as to hide her flushed cheeks.

 

 

Dongho laughed wholeheartedly, his 8 year old self enveloping Hyeji into a tight embrace. "You already are," he whispered. 

 

 

The scene shifted to Hyeji's hospital room where she was asleep, needles and wires sticking all out from her body everywhere. A 14 year old Dongho stood at the door, his body shaking and his eyes getting clouded over by tears. 

 

 

He spun around to his uncle, grabbing onto his collar. "I thought you told me that she had gotten better! It's been a year, she was doing so well! What is this?" he raged, frustrated tears streaming down his face. 

 

 

Dr.Shin wasn't able to give his nephew an answer and resorted to just shaking his head. 

 

 

Dongho's knuckles turned white and his breathing became heavy. His hand limply fell back down to his side as he dropped to his knees. "You lied to me," he whispered, "you told me that she had a chance. Look at her now!"

 

 

Junho looked down at his feet in remorse. "I have no excuses. She was doing fine, but something happened. I had never imagined this outcome and all of this is purely my fault. I'm sorry, son, I'm sorry. I'll try my best, I promise. I'll do something about this." he pleaded.

 

 

Dongho clenched his teeth, punching the ground with his fists. 

 

 

And a week later, at 14 years old, Dongho witnessed a loved one's death for the first time in his life. 

 

 

With a smile on her face, a single tear sliding down her cheek, he watched his only sunshine return back home.

 

 

"Thank you for being my friend," spoke Hyeji, breathing her last as her hand in his went limp. 

 

 

«»«»«»

 

 

"Hey, what's up with you?" Soohyun asked in concern, assessing Dongho's face as the two sat across from each other for lunch. 

 

 

The younger male shook his head, massaging his temples. "I've just been having bad dreams lately," he casually dismissed. 

 

 

Soohyun just shrugged, taking a sip from his cup of water. "What was it that you wanted to ask me anyways?"

 

 

Dongho nibbled on his bottom lip, twirling the ice cubes in his glass around. "I needed your advice," Dongho revealed. 

 

 

"It has to do with that girl, doesn't it?" Soohyun smirked in amusement. 

 

 

Dongho's silence only affirmed that he was right.

 

 

"Did you fall for her or something?" he joked. 

 

 

Dongho just shook his head. "It's about her birthday," he started, "but I don't know what to do about her wish." 

 

 

"Did she ask for like, a vacation to Hawaii or something like that? It's not like you can't afford it, kid." 

 

 

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I wish it were that simple." 

 

 

Soohyun raised an eyebrow. 

 

 

"She wants to go to school with me, hyung. Even if it's just for one day, I can't even grant her this. I can't bring myself to do it; how would she survive?" 

 

 

The older male stared at his troubled friend. "Are you afraid that she'd feel bad about herself? Being surrounded by healthy people?"

 

 

Dongho slightly nodded in shame. 

 

 

Soohyun shook his head in disappointment. "From what you've told me about her, do you really think she'd care? She doesn't seem like that type of person. You're just overthinking it. She's much stronger than what meet's the eye. After all, she is the one fighting a life-threatening disease. Get your head in the game!" 

 

 

The university junior frowned. "Other people will judge her." 

 

 

"Who gives a flying crap about other people? The only ones that matter are you, me, and the rest of the boys. We'll help you take care of this. No matter what, you have to grant this wish for the girl. She deserves so much in this world, and this is the least you can do for her," Soohyun chided.

 

 

"Hold onto that girl and give her everything she asks for. It's not every day you'll be able to find a patient willing to give up her wish for someone else."

 

 

«»«»«»

A/N:

Because my birthday is in 2 days
and I felt really bad.

If you guys were wondering,
yes,
this story is partially based off of a true story.
Yes,
Mi Ran was somewhat crafted like me.
I live every day with countless life-threatening diseases
but honestly,
that doesn't stop me from living life to the fullest.
That doesn't stop me from going to as many concerts as I want.
That doesn't stop me from achieving my dreams.
I've always been the patient,
but one day,
I'll be on the other side.
I'll be my own Dr.Shin,
but a whole lot better.

I had my own Dongho once,
when I was 6.
I don't know where he is now
but thank you for easing the pain
and for being my friend.
I was too young to know what love was
but I loved him like a friend.
I'm pretty content with my life now, though.
Because I'm constantly surrounded by
my own sunshines.

"God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble."
-Psalm 46:1