Lockers

Notes

Useless. That's what he was. Years of people repeating it to him had made he himself believe that.Useless. That's what he was. Years of people repeating it to him had made he himself believe that.

He couldn't exactly remember when the bullying started. Was it because of his bug-eyes? His height? Or was it just the way he carried himself? Back hunched and eyes downcast, trying his best to just disappear.

He counted himself as lucky. At least not the whole school was against him. Only the "populars" that thought it was cool to trip him in the corridors or spray painting crude things onto his locker.

Yes, the populars. The so called Kingkas and Queenkas of his school, Seoul High.

Although not everyone was deliberately bullying him, the rest were not any better. The rest of the student body just can't be bothered or are too afraid to standup against the populars.

Kyungsoo sighed. This was what followed him throughout middle school and now to high school.

 

-

Kim Jongin. The name of everyone’s envy in Seoul High. The dark prince, as everyone came to call him. Girls would do anything to make him notice them, anything to differentiate themselves from his other fangirls.

Jongin did not ask for this popularity. People are just attracted to his looks, and he had to suit his personality to everyone’s ideals.

He forgot the time when he had truly laughed with his friends, the time when he used to fool around and not care about what other people thought of him.

What he really wanted was to be able to have a real friend, not those that only stuck to him to rise in popularity nor for his looks alone.

 

-

Jongin walked through the halls with his group of friends. They called themselves “EXO” and were the kingkas of the school.

In other words, they controlled the school.

What they liked, the rest of the students liked and whatever they do are worshipped by the other students.

Therefore, when they targeted someone for them to bully and be their “toy", the whole school followed. After all, only the stupid would dare to go against them.

“Yo Jongin, miss us after that long school break?” Kris laughed, wrapping his arms over Jongin’s shoulders as he walked past. “Your little girlfriend has been asking for you every since she arrived in school.”

Kris jerked his thumb behind his shoulders, indicating the direction Jongin’s girlfriend, Sooyoung went.

Giving Kris a small smile of acknowledgement and giving his a bro first, Jongin stalked off in the direction that Kris indicated, knowing that Sooyoung was never a very patient person.

“Jongin!” Turning around at the call of his name, he had the wind knocked out of him as a petite girl with her hair tied up in a tiny pigtail wrapped her arms around him.

“Hey, Sooyoung. How have you been?” Jongin gave her a weak smile as he tried to wiggle out of her death grip.

“I missed you so so much.” Sooyoung pouted at him. “Why haven’t you messaged me the whole of yesterday?”

The truth was that Jongin was tired of her consistent messages about what shoes were nicer or what hairstyle she should use on the first day of school.

However, if he told her that, she would throw a fit.

“I’m sorry, I brought my phone for repair yesterday. I’m sure I told you my phone was acting a little weird the past week?” Jongin held Sooyoung closer to his chest, brushing her hair back and leaning down to press a chaste kiss on the side of her lips. “I would never ignore you messages.”

“You’re so cheesy.” Sooyoung blushed, gently hitting Jongin’s chest with her fist.

“Hey lovebirds, mind if we join in?” A voice called from behind them, causing the two of them to separate.

“Hey guys.” Jongin waved to his group of friends.The whole group, consisting of six members, have already arrived. They were Jongin himself, Kris, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Jongdae and Sehun.

“I’ll get going now, oppa.” Sooyoung flicked her hair out of her face and rejoined her own queenka group.

“Jongin! Chanyeol and I are in the same class as you. Come on let’s get to class before all the seats are taken up.” Baekhyun beamed at him.

“Bye, guy! See you during lunch!” Chanyeol waved at the rest of the group, giving them his signature “happy virus” smile.

 

-

 

On the other hand, Kyungsoo had dreaded this day. The first day his second year in high school. He could only pray hard that he is not put into the same class as any of those popular kids.

Unfortunately, his prayers were not answered as when he walked into his first lesson of the day, he noticed some of the kingkas near the back. Kyungsoo could vaguely remember they they  called themselves "EXO" or something along that line.

“I just hope that Do Kyungsoo isn’t in our class.” Baekhyun muttered, twirling his pen around his fingers then putting it on his lips in thought. “On the other hand, it would be fun if he is in our class.”

This made Jongin look up with interest.

"Why do you guys hate him so much?” Jongin cocked his eyebrows. Jongin had only heard rumours about this Kyungsoo person but he has not really met him in real life before.

“Have you seen him, Jongin? He pretends he’s so innocent with those eyes of his. But I heard he sells his body for money.” Baekhyun whispered.

“Not as if anyone would want him in the first place.” Chanyeol added, joining into their little gossip group.

“Yeah, Chanyeol. I bet he’s so desperate for attention that’s why he does it.” Baekhyun grinned, making Chanyeol laugh and clap his hands like a seal.

However, Jongin was not that amused. Did they even know what they were saying?

“Speak of the devil.” Baekhyun noticed the owl-eyed boy looking lost near the entrance of the classroom.

Shooting up from his seat, Jongin met eyes with a scruffy looking kid with huge owl like eyes. He was pale, so very pale. As if he has not met the sun in his life. He had a deer-in-headlights expression and Jongin found it rather endearing actually.

So this is the infamous Do Kyungsoo?

Immediately breaking eye contact, Kyungsoo let out a little squeak, making Jongin’s lips quirk up and he felt his face heat up. Probably due to embarrassment, he told himself.

Kyungsoo glanced around the room to find somewhere to seat. Curse his luck, the only seat available was next to that handsome tanned boy that he had met eyes with when he walked in.

He could feel his heart beating wildly. How could he just walk up to the group of Kingkas and take a seat beside one?

Jongin noticed Kyungsoo zero-ing onto his seat and he could feel the ba dum of his heart in his chest.

Kyungsoo was going to sit beside him. Kyungsoo is going to sit beside him.  Calm down, Jongin. Breathe in, breathe out.

Kyungsoo  was aware of the eyes on him as he was the only one hesitating at the door right before lesson was about to start.

"Ehem. If you're done standing around, get into class and take a seat."

Jumping at the sudden voice, Kyungsoo whipped his head around to face what he assumed was his new mathematics teacher.

"Y-yes, I'm sorry sir." Ducking his head, Kyungsoo scurried in the direction of the only seat available. Blood pounding in his ears as he awaited the reaction of the three Kingkas seated there.

Just as Kyungsoo was about to reach his seat, he felt himself falling forward, books in his arms spilling everywhere.

Disorientated, he frantically tried to gather up his books. Ears buzzing from the loud mocking laughter that seemed to be coming from all directions. Successfully gathering his books, he turned to see the Baekhyun hi-fiving Chanyeol, eyes traveling to him and giving him a mocking sneer.

The loud laughter snapped Jongin out of his trance and he almost let out a loud gasp as he followed Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s gaze onto Kyungsoo who was on his hands and knees, books scattered around him.

Jongin almost wanted to get up to help Kyungsoo, only to remember that this is Kyungsoo. The most hated boy in the school.

Furrowing his eyebrows, Jongin bit his lip as he saw Kyungsoo struggle to not let his tears fall.

Eyes trained onto his sneakers, Kyungsoo quietly slipped into his seat, not before letting out a little sniffle that Chanyeol and Baekhyun caught.

They caught Jongin’s eye, giving a little wink.

“Yo Jongin, now you can have fun when you’re bored in class.” Chanyeol whispered to him, diverting his eyes into Kyungsoo’s direction.

Jongin let out a scoff, only to see Kyungsoo flinch at the sound.

Did Kyungsoo think that the scoff was for him? Jongin tried to catch Kyungsoo’s eyes to made sure, but Kyungsoo had his eyes on his desk the whole time.

The teacher just shook his head at the scene, going on to introduce himself and immediately jumping straight into lesson.

For the whole of the lesson, Jongin was not able to keep his mind off the person sitting right beside him.

He glanced at Kyungsoo once in a while, admiring the way he bites his lip when he writes down his notes and the way he scrunches his face a little when a particular hard question is asked.

Throughout the lesson, Kyungsoo attentively took notes of everything that was taught. Studying was his escape from reality, and books were his comfort. Books would never judge him.

He never noticed the boy beside him glancing at him with interest once in awhile.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo was thankful that the next few periods went by smoothly and it was finally lunch time. Heading down to his locker to collect his lunch, he thought of potential spots he could enjoy his lunch at. Under the old oak tree behind the school maybe?

Opening his locker, he grabbed his lunchbox with a small hum. After all, today he prepared his favourite kimchi spaghetti to enjoy.

However, he did not expect the hand that roughly pushed him into the lockers behind him when he was about to leave.

"Hey , I heard you forced yourself on my boyfriend today." With a hand on her hips, Sooyoung gazed at him cockily. "As if he would even look at someone like you."

"W-what?" Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Don't try to act innocent. I'm telling you to stay away from my Jongin or you're going to get it from me." Flipping her hair, Sooyoung gave Kyungsoo a smirk.

"Oh, and what's that vile thing in your hands? Let me get rid of it for you." Before Kyungsoo could blink, the box of kimchi spaghetti in his hands was snatched away and dumped onto the floor.

For the second time that day, Kyungsoo could feel himself trying his best to control his emotions. He would never let them have the satisfaction of seeing him cry.

BIting his trembling lips, Kyungsoo slowly bent down to collect his container and trying his best to salvage the spaghetti on the floor.

"Enjoy your meal, ." Sooyoung stepped on the spaghetti Kyungsoo was trying to scoop up, twisting her feet before having a disgusted look on her face at the sauce and spaghetti remains under her shoes.

She laughed at the expression on Kyungsoo's face and seeing Jongin approach, she immediately ran to his side.

"Oppa! Look, he dirtied my shoe!" Sooyoung pouted at Jongin, giving him her best aegyo.

A flash of shock appeared on Jongin's face but he hide it immediately, putting on his infamous smirk.

"Don't worry, Sooyoung, I'll buy a new pair for you. Lets go." Without casting Kyungsoo a second glance, Jongin snuck an arm around Sooyoung's waist and led her away.

Using his last bit of self control, Jongin forced himself to not look back at the way Kyungsoo’s lips trembled as he led Sooyoung to the canteen.

Kyungsoo sat on the ground, stunned for a few moments and hearing the chuckling of students passing through before collecting himself. Taking out a packet of tissue, he slowly cleaned up the mess Sooyoung made. This was going to take a while.

-

 

The group sat at their table, plates clean in front of them.

“Ah I’m so full.”  There were a nods of agreement around the table.

Jongin rummaged through his bag for his after lunch snack. He specially brought two muffins today to share with his girlfriend.

Just as he was about to take out the second muffin, his thoughts travelled to Kyungsoo and how his lunch was cruelly destroyed in front of him.

Kyungsoo must be so hungry right now.

Secretly hiding the second muffin back into his bag, he took out only one of the muffins.

“You only brought one muffin? But I want one too!” His girlfriend pursed her lips and tugged at Jongin’s sleeve.

Biting into one end of the muffin, Jongin lifted the muffin up to Sooyoung’s mouth, encouraging her to take a bite.

“It’s more romantic this way, isn’t it.”

Sooyoung’s cheeks tinted pink as she took a small bite out of the muffin, nodding her head. Jongin heaved a sigh of relief.

Now he only cannot let Sooyoung see the extra muffin inside his bag.

“Sooyoung, don’t bother yourself with Kyungsoo anymore okay?”

“Why, Jongin. Having a soft spot for Do Kyungsoo now?” Sehun piped up from the side.

“Shut up, Sehun. Says the one who can’t keep his eyes of a particular Chinese transfer student.” Jongin shot back, making Sehun blush a bright red.

“Oppa, you like Do Kyungsoo now? What about me?” Sooyoung whined.

“Of course not, as if I would like someone like him.” Jongin felt a pang at that statement. Did he really feel something for Kyungsoo? Of course not, he told himself. “It’s just not worth your time associating yourself with trash like him.”

“Oh.. I see.” Sooyoung nodded her head in agreement. “You’re right, but if he tries to get close to you again, he’ll get it.”

Jongin laughed.

“Sooyoung, he isn’t trying to get close to me.”

“Fine, but if he does.” Sooyoung brushed her hair back from her face.

 

-

 

“Jongin, you not leaving?”

It was after school already and the rest of the students are preparing to leave.

“Nope, I’ll stay for awhile. I have something to do.”

Once all the students left the classroom, Jongin took out his stack of sticky notes that he brought for his classes but did not really use.

Picking up his pen, he wrote his thoughts onto the piece of paper.

He was about to write down his name before stopping himself.

Kyungsoo could not know it was him who wrote this note.

the piece of paper, Jongin decided to go with his childhood nickname. After all no one knew about that name of his now.

Below the note, he signed “Kai”.

 

-

 

Putting the notes and the muffin into Kyungsoo’s locker, Jongin glanced around the empty hallway, paranoid that someone would see him.

Stop it, Jongin, it’s not as if you're doing a crime.

However, that did not stop his heart from accelerating and him jumping at every sound.

"Jongin! You're still here? Let's walk out together!" Jongin jumped out of his skin, recognising the voice as Jongdae.

Like a kid caught taking a cookie from the cookie jar, Jongin prayed that Jongdae did not notice him putting the things into Kyungsoo's locker.

Fortunately for him, Jongdae did not seem to notice and just slung an arm around his shoulders, chatting all the way about his experience during the last period.

Jongin could not help but look back at the locker, worried that Kyungsoo would not see what he put into the locker.

 

-

Kyungsoo was late for class after lunch and had to go for detention. Suffering through the rest of the school day plus detention with an empty stomach and jeers from the students, he gladly welcomed the time when he could go home.

 

Heaving a sigh of relief, Kyungsoo balanced his books in one arm and went to his locker. The sky was already starting to darken outside and to his relief, not many students were in school at this time.

Opening his locker, he was surprised to see a yellow sticky note stuck to the door of his locker. Along with it sat a perfectly brown chocolate muffin.

Tilting his head, Kyungsoo cautiously unstuck the note to read first, ignoring his stomach's protesting growls.

 

You must be hungry, I saved my last muffin for you:)

Don't let what others say keep you down, I'll always cheer you on!

Fighting!

-Kai

 

Feeling his heart swell, Kyungsoo clutched the note to his chest, frantically looking around to see if the person named Kai was around here somewhere.

Seeing no one, Kyungsoo felt his heart sink a little. However, he took his attention to the muffin innocently sitting inside his locker.

Thank you, Kai. I'll be sure to eat that muffin well.

 

---

Hey guys I combined the first two chapters together as it was repetitive. I'll update this story soon! Sorry so much for the wait!