Remembering the times

Love Symptoms

In a quiet café somewhere in Seoul, the bell connected to the door to the café rings, signaling the arrival of customers, which was rare in that street which the café was in. The 5 women sitting inside looked up as they saw 5 men walking in with caps on or hoods up and sunglasses or masks. They smiled as the men walked briskly to them, taking off their disguise along the way. The men sat in front of the women at the long table as they exchanged greetings before starting up their chats. Outside, the soft chirping of birds together with the occasional rustle of the leaves on trees in the way of the wind broke the silence of the morning, the warm rising morning sun lighting up the café.

Little did anyone know, this little interaction between 10 men and women started because of a first meeting quite contrasting to this very scene. Let us rewind time a little more, and shift the scene to a country 7 hours flight away from Seoul.

It was a pretty usual boring Saturday in Singapore, students and adults all alike, sleeping soundly at home or studying or working somewhere. But at a closer look, you could see that in the central area, at this particular building, loads of people sat waiting for something. There were queues everywhere, and you could literally see banners being thrown everywhere where the crowd was. It was a concert. Whose concert? Look closer at the shirts of the people. On it, it clearly says: EXO. Yes, EXO was in town, in Singapore for their first solo world tour in 2014. How amazing was that?

So, as you can see, the line for the mosh pits were so long that it had to go down the stairs and go one whole round of the building before it came to an end. But yet, it was only 9 in the morning, and the concert doesn’t start until 6 at night, though the fans are allowed in at 4 in the evening. Fans were everywhere. From finding hand banners, giving out special fan support fun packs, buying merchandises, getting drinks and food to supplement them for the rest of the day. Moving to the front of the queue for the mosh pit, there is a group of girls, or women if you want it to be more formal, who were eagerly waiting for the concert to start, and happy that they were close to the speakers, so they could hear the beats of the music during the rehearsal.

There are twelve of them in total, all friends with each other and are staff and admins of a Singapore EXO fan site: EXONATIONSG. Yes twelve of them only and no more, but yet no less either, because they believe it brings out uniqueness. Their biases were obviously one for each of the staff, and maybe it was the way they acted, but it almost seemed like a second EXO, seeing as to how they had absolute teamwork amongst themselves. Two of them went to queue up for the merchandise for the rest of the group, five of them went around the place to give out cards to promote birthday support for the EXO members whose birthdays were in December and had yet to pass, as well as hand banners, another three going around the place to get extra banners for themselves, and get food and drinks to supply themselves while waiting, the last two taking care of the belongings of the others.

Take a peek into their bags, and you can see expensive camera lens and cameras that looked so professional that it didn’t seem like it belonged to a group of young adults. Why were there cameras when it wasn’t allowed in concerts? Well you see; the group tickets were not the usual mosh pit tickets you see in the hands of others in the queue. It is, however, a special ticket for the twelve of them each, a VIP Backstage Excess ticket. And this ticket not only allowed them for backstage excess, but also for them to take pictures before, during and after the concert. Of course, you may think that such a ticket doesn’t exist, but if you knew of the reason why such a ticket exists, you would be fully able to understand and believe.

The reason was simple: the photographers in the group were actual professional photographers who had been in Korea before for a huge project for a magazine, and they had worked with SHINee before. Of course, the story was long, so to cut it short, SM Entertainment CEO, I think you know who, had seen the pictures that they have taken, and had visited their fan site to look at their activities. He was amazed at the photographs taken because of the nice angle even though the pictures were taken during SHINee’s concert in Seoul, which meant lots of movements.

So, the photographers had actually interacted with him, and he promised them that if they could help in taking photographs for a photo book that they were planning to release for EXO, he would give them, and their friends working for the fan site which did their best and worked hard for the fans residing in Singapore, special VIP tickets which consisted of backstage excess before and after the concert, and photograph taking during, before or after the concert. Of course, they immediately agreed, and here they are now, waiting until EXO arrives for their rehearsal and they could go in for interviews, photo-taking and interaction time with EXO.

As the morning turned to early afternoon, news of EXO arriving for rehearsal spread around and it wasn’t long before the 12 girls got the news, and was soon approached by the security guards who escorted them to the backstage, of course, secretly. They packed their stuff that they have brought for the overnight camp they did the previous night for the concert, and the photographers got out their cameras, the other staffs taking out notepads to take down the answers that EXO will give to their interview asked by the admins.

Let’s move a little quicker, to when they met each other. So when the twelve girls entered the waiting room, they were met with loud chatters of incoherent Korean words and Chinese words mixed together. But of course, the group had learnt Korean, and could be said to be quite fluent in it, just like Luhan was, so they could understand most of the conversations closest to them. When EXO finally realized that they were there, they stood up from their chairs and gathered together to introduce themselves, which we all know, are not, needed, but for courtesy sake, they should. After EXO was done with their introductions, it was time for the group’s introductions. Though they did not have such a fanciful group greeting like the EXO, they of course did the introduction thoroughly and it wasn’t long before EXO caught they names-seeing as all their names were in English- and they started the interview.

The interview was pretty simple, consisting of questions that were simple to answer but full of sincere feelings. The interview was done quickly, and they found themselves split, the girls with their biases, as they chatted, happy that they could communicate smoothly without the need of a translator, which is the job of a few staff. But just as they were getting way too comfortable for a fan idol relationship, EXO was up for rehearsal, their mikes ready for testing. The newly formed friends unwillingly broke their conversations as the girls went out first to the mosh pit area to take some pictures while the boys went to get ready. As the rehearsal started, the photographers went around to take pictures while the admins took down a few notes on their actions, the other staff quickly translating the interview into various languages, as per requested by SM.

When the rehearsal ended, the girls went to the backstage after the boys, and they started off another round of chattering while they ate their lunch. Soon, lunch time was over and EXO had to start preparing for their concert, so the girls sat at one corner of the room, discussing about their conversations. But as they talked, it was easily pointed out that Amy, Marilyn, Irene, Lauren and Charlotte were day dreaming. When asked what they were day dreaming about, all they said was similar: they feel warm inside, their hearts are fluttering, and they feel very relaxed. The others stared at them as they sighed dreamily and went back daydreaming while they thought of their biases.

The oldest of the group, Alice, smirked as she concluded the reason for the girls’ actions. She clapped her hands to capture the attention from the rest of the group and brought them a safe distance from the five to whisper in their ears her conclusion and their plan.

At the other side of the room, the boys, who had all changed into their first performance costume for the night, all crowded around as the waited for the stylist to finish styling their hairs. But amongst the twelve of them, it was clear who was actually attentive to their surroundings like they should and who wasn’t. Kai, Luhan, Sehun, Tao and Baekhyun were all actually quiet, unlike their usual selves. Of course, it built up suspicions in the rest of the group, who confronted them from their seats-because they were still having their hair and makeup done. It was soon found out that the reason for their quietness was due to confusion of feelings towards a certain five in their new group of friends.

Kris, being one of the wisest in the group, let whatever the five said sink in as he searched his wise advice mental book to check the reason behind all that the five had felt. Then, as though something clicked inside him, he smirked and he pulled the rest of the members who were done with their hair and makeup over and whispered his thoughts and conclusion to them, and they effectively spread it to the rest of the members except the five who were still thinking of their feelings, their blushes that were definitely unusual, their quickening heartbeat at every contact, but yet that feeling of warmth inside them that they have not felt before.

When EXO was done with the preparations and their briefing, they went back to chatting, which also resulted in the 7 pairs of good friends discussing their plans with each other, and the oh so occasional glance at the 5 pairs who were blushing with almost every sentence said, laughing wholeheartedly, and everyone could see the look in their eyes when they look at each other, which both sides missed.

It wasn’t that long before EXO had to go for standby, and the girls had to get ready their stuff, the five girls who were still blushing picking up their cameras, and the admins preparing their notebook to jot down the notes of EXO’s actions that would fit the pictures taken for the scrap-photo book that they were working on together with SM. The translator and graphic designer as well as coordinator stayed at the back of the mosh pits so that the translator can help the other two while she waits for her turn to help with translating later on, the other two looking at the sets and themes so that they could come up with the design for the sketchbook and the coordinator could prepare the advertisement for the scrap-photo book.

Oh yes, I forgot to introduce them. As you know, the five girls are the photographers, Alice, Jessica, Stephanie and Isabella are the admins, Regina is the coordinator, Cindy is the translator and Natasha is the designer for the site. They worked hard as the concert went on, each of them enjoying the music as they worked. It was just as though the concert started for only 3 minutes when it ended, much to everyone’s disappointment. But they knew the boys had to rest, so when EXO went backstage immediately after the concert to rest and change out of their stage clothes to more comfortable clothes, the fans more or less quietly left while the group looked through their work in silence so that once everyone leaves, they could prepare to go to the back where EXO would be resting.

They got to the waiting room exactly 10 minutes after the boys did, and when they did arrive, the boys weakly smiled at them before they dropped their head backwards again, against the chair support as it to rest their heads. The girls moved to their respective bias-or friends as they would like to call it now- and the patted them on the shoulder, giving a short massage as they complimented them again, thanking them for their hard work. EXO too gave back the thanks for the fact that the girls did work hard during the concert as well. The girls took a final group photo of the boys before the picked out Alice’s phone to take a commemorative photo of both groups together, even though it was though, considering the big group they had. But as EXO turned to give their last goodbyes to their friends, Luhan gave a different goodbye, being as bold as he was.

“Hey, let’s keep in touch; I wanna talk with you whenever I’m free.” He finally said after 2 seconds of hesitation, passing Marilyn his phone as a small hint of wanting to exchange numbers. Marilyn blushed and nodded her head, taking out her phone and giving it to Luhan in exchange, keying in her phone number into Luhan’s phone. They returned each other’s phone and Luhan gave her a quick and small peck on the forehead when the others were not looking, before he turned  to walk out, giving Marilyn a bright smile as she flushed a red much brighter than before, if it was possible.

As that was going on, the others, meaning the other four, also timidly exchanged numbers, and the friends shrugged their shoulders as if to say ‘why not?’ and also exchanged numbers and their kaokaotalk and line accounts like the other 5 pairs did.

And that was the first time they met. For the rest of the time between their first meet and their second, it was all messages, phone calls even with the high overseas call prices, with each other, and even without checking, it was sure that the 5 pairs made more contacts than the rest. Who knew where that extra time came from? Without knowing, their feelings for each other increased despite the increased distance and decreased time talking to each other.

But then again, it was good, because it just showed the two leaders on each end-Kris and Alice- another reason to prove their conclusion. What conclusion, no one knows except for both groups.

Time passed, and it was finally the school holidays for the 5 photographers who were studying in University. That also meant the continuation of their project for the second scrap-photo book since the first scrap-photo book that apparently sold so well that just the selling of the book adds up to half the amount that SM gets from selling EXO official merchandises. And that only meant one thing in their minds. Meeting their ‘loved ones’, though they didn’t really think of them as ‘loved ones’ because they prefer to not admit that what they feel for the guys were more than friends.

This time round, the theme for the book was simple: Daily life of EXO. But somehow, it was difficult to carry out. Why? Because that meant that they had to follow EXO around, and because that meant a continuous change of background, it was difficult for the photographers to keep changing the camera settings to fit the background, and it was difficult to find a theme colour for the design of the book. Not only that, who can concentrate when you are so close to the one you have feelings for, and seeing them every day, but yet not an official couple? See? That’s how difficult it was. But then again, nothing is impossible for them.

The very day the group started their holidays, the 5 photographers flew over to Korea for the reason of work, having to have as many pictures taken as possible to send over back to Singapore for the admins to write out the small comments, and the rest to finish their work.

Before they left, they had called EXO, and if you only listened to that one conversation, let me tell you, you will puke rainbows and cheese because it is that cheesy.

“Noona, I miss you... Make sure you come to us immediately when you arrive yea?” Tao said in his accented Chinese to Lauren, who was older than him by a year.

As soon as they touched down, they were met with EXO’s manager, who brought them to a car that was similar to EXO’s. They were told that they were going to EXO’s practice. When they reached the building where EXO was already practicing, they all filed out of the car and went into the building quickly, avoiding the hands of the sasaengs who were situated outside the building, taking along their bags containing the necessary items for professional photographing. They ran from the car and fled into the building, which doors had, been open seconds before they got out of the car by the manager. Luckily, the sasaengs fans did not bother them much, and they, together with their equipment were safe, thank god.

So anyways, they were guided to EXO’s practice room and they went in quietly, seeing as EXO was still practicing their song, or to be specific, a new song for their comeback. The five of them quickly made their way inside and quickly set to work. Of course, since it was a new song, they were privileged, and it also meant that the photos might not be used, but then again, by the time the book is out for selling, they would have made their comeback already. The photos were inspected and the ugly ones were deleted. Once EXO was done with their practice they all sat down, of course, after lying on the ground in exhaustion, and the five brought the water bottles and towels to the boys, letting them rest before they started chatting again.

~~

Days passed with practice, prerecording variety shows, schedules, photo shoots, and many other different activities that any idol would do, including EXO. Photos were taken and sent back to Singapore via email, and the five lived in a hotel close by EXO’s dorm, which was where they would spend their time other than out doing activities and at the hotel for sleeping and bathing. They had gotten so close that there was absolutely no reason to question their feelings.

It wasn’t long before the five of them were having the last day in Korea with EXO. And this time round, the managers, happy with the progress that both EXO and the five made with their work, allowed them to spend the last day the five are in Korea however they want. So off the five pairs went, leaving the rest of EXO home to sleep, play or go out shopping.

As they were out spending the last time they might meet together, the five girls made up their minds-finally- to confess to the boys. The boys on the other hand, were planning to give presents to the girls with a special craving of their confession. So as the sun was setting, they all went to a park that EXO was familiar with, and they split up across the flower fields to have privacy.

It wasn’t long before you could see 5 silhouettes of couples by the setting sun. In the air, you could sense a sense of love, with a bit of humor, maybe coming from Amy.

“Well, I love you too, so there is no running away now.” She said softly as her confession after Kai gave her the necklace with the craving: K&A. Kai and Amy. Sweet, is it not?

Hours later, as the plane flew off and above their heads, the five boys looked on until the plane was out of sight with their lovers. The five girls had promised to come back to Korea after they graduate from University, which was ending in another year.

Back to the present, it was clear that that one year had passed, much to the boys’ happiness, for the fact that they missed their lovers oh so very much. Even the usual messaging and calling wasn’t satisfying enough, said by Sehun, who pouted everyday to see his Irene noona, who was technically older than him by a year, but you could say 5 months.

Looking back at the café, you could see the 5 couples smiling happily as they softly chatted of their weekly happenings. When the 5 girls arrived, they got a job in CeCi, a very famous fashion magazine. And so, the girls had decided to stay close to their work place, which was luckily close enough to EXO’s dorm, which they visit frequently during their and EXO’s free time. Other than that, the 5 couples had set it so that they met every Sunday in the morning until it was time for lunch, or that any of them had a schedule.

But otherwise, you could say that this relationship between both groups all happened because of that one conclusion that the leaders had made without their knowing: that they were experiencing the love symptoms.

Of course, yet again, Baekhyun would be the last one to speak, and this time round it was a sentence that everyone agreed on, and it was one peaceful one, with nothing but love inside.

“I say, the love symptoms really did a big favor for us right?”