Awkward Encounters With Hips and An To Match

Just Neighbors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And where do you think you’re going?” I aggressively grab onto her arm as she turns her back to me. Immediately her cold eyes meet with mine and it sent shivers down my spine.

“Someplace far from you,” Kayden pulls her arm away from my grip.

“I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to unleash all at information…emotions onto to you at once.” Kayden folds her arms responding with a perfect eye roll. “I-I couldn’t tell you how I really felt all this time because you have so much going on in your life. It’s, like, who am I to you? Where do I fit in your life, huh? Tell me what I’m supposed to do!” As I pour out my emotions, I forget that I was acting. “Um, well,” I clear my throat, “‘Young-Ji’, it’s your line.”

“Oh, yeah. Um, that was really good—like convincing.” Kayden hums lightly and sits down on the sofa signaling at a break.

“Thank you again for helping me go over the script. Your Korean has improved dramatically.”

“Thank goodness I know Chinese because that really helped, but thanks. I know you told me not to do this…”

“Which was?” I ask taking a seat next to her, eyeing her cautiously.

“Not to watch your fashion show with your friend.” I groan leaning my head back against the couch. “I know! I watched it while I was in the States. I enjoyed it. You definitely perked up as the episodes went on.” Yeah, I have changed quite a bit in the past several months. I guess I have Kayden to thank for that. If she were looking for an answer, I simply shrugged.

“Speaking of the States, how was your trip?”

“It was nice. We went to Las Vegas, New York, and more importantly, California. It was nice to be home and see my family, also, to spend some time with you know…him,” she expresses sadly. Times like these I learned to read between the lines.

“You finally spent some time with your boyfriend, but you sound sad about it. What’s wrong?”

“Oh, no. I don’t want to bore you.”

“Kayden,” I place a hand over hers. “When have you bore me? Never.”

“Alright. When we were traveling back to Korea, I thought that would be the end of his travels—at least for now, but yet again he’s gone. He’s working and I’m stuck here.”

“With me.”

“Soohyuk! No, I didn’t mean that. Don’t be a downer. Please.” Well, isn’t that the case? If you found the one good thing you’re grateful for, yet you still hate it here then I’m not doing a good job at convincing you that this isn’t a bad place. Kayden looks at me with pleading eyes and I drop it.

“Whatever.” An awkward silence fell upon us. Kayden looks down at her fidgeting fingers as I aimlessly scroll through my phone to avoid each other’s eye contact.

“Here.” Kayden stood in front of me with a box in hand.

“A gift?”

“I got you a little something for you in the States. I hope you like it.” I examine the small wrapped box in my hands as she spoke. “I was unsure of what to get for a person who seems to have everything they want.” No, there’s something I want.

I smile softly, “I’m certain that I’ll like it.” Tearing off the paper, I smile at the content inside.

“It’s a charm, it’s no big deal.” No big deal? Lifting the charm by the end of its chain, the delicate item shaped into an ‘S’ twirls around, showing off its gold, jewels, and authentic MCM designs. It’s quite expensive for a ‘no big deal’ gift. Clipping it onto my phone, I thank her.

“Thank you, Kayden. I really appreciate it.”

“You like it? Yes!” Surprisingly, she jumps into my arms. I feel her bony frame as I embrace her back. Reminder to myself: Take Kayden out to eat more often. “So,” she starts as she settles back into her seat. “What are you doing with the rema

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter