Keep You Safe

Keep You Safe

Looking into the mirror, satisfied with the simple black top and denim jeans on you, you gave a text to Kris and Tao that you are leaving the house now. It was really hard for you to meet your boyfriend Kris. Putting aside his busy schedule, both of you knew it was impossible for the relationship to get exposed. Nonetheless, the thought of being able to meet him after months brought a subtle smile to your face as you looked at your reflection in the lift. With a second glance into the reflection, you were glad that you did not put on much weight during the months. You sensed butterflies in your stomach as you stepped out of the lift, those beautiful kind. Perhaps, only getting to see your beloved once every few months had brought the butterflies and kept the romance sweet and soft like cotton candy.

 

You hailed a cab and gave a text to Kris and Tao again, 'Reaching in 15'.

 

'Alright. Me too. Flying over to see my babe now. Dragon flies fast.' You could not help but to smile to yourself as you read the reply from Kris. You always . Behind his aloof image hid a little boy. A little boy that had grown too tall. Flashbacks started forming in your mind as the car drove down the streets. A relationship that had started back three years ago, every single frame with Kris and you in it, you held them so dearly close to your heart. So did Kris. You remembered the first time when you met him. You looked into his brown pupils, you were captivated. Behind the deep eyes, hid untold stories, and a tinge of despondence. You were drawn to him immediately, because you and him, were so similar. You were jolted back to reality when the cab came to a stop. 'Monday Cafe' greeted you as you looked out of the window.

 

You pulled out your phone as you crossed the road. 'Reached'. Before you could hit the send button, you felt a strong pull on your arm from behind. Too fast for you to give any form of response, you fell to the ground as your elbow scraped against the rough granite pavement. Your first response was not attending to your pain, but to look up. Two teenage girls were looking down as you meet their eyes. 'Stay away from Kris, or you will get hell from me.' Understanding the situation straight away, you were not terrified. Suffering in silence was never part of your personality. As you got up, you stood a head taller than the two girls. Though smaller in sizes and younger, the anger in their eyes were unyielding. When you were about to mouth the words, you held them back. Yes, you could easily show them your prowess, whether in words or fists, but you held all of those back. You faltered your steps as one of the girls pushed you in the shoulder. Your stare grew stronger; your right fist clenched tighter.

 

'YA!' A shout broke through from behind the girls. You saw Tao came running toward you, throwing a concern look at you while shooting a death stare at the girls. You did not know which came first. The next moment, he was standing right beside you, shielding you from the girls with his muscular right arm. 'What do you think you are doing?! Get off, and stay away from her!' Sensing the situation turning ugly, the two girls scurried off. That was the first time that you saw that side of Tao.

 

'Are you alright?! What did they do to you?!' Tao exclaimed.

'I'm fine. You came before they tried to do anything.' you replied calmly as if nothing had happened. Afraid that Tao would caught your scraped elbow, you slid it behind your back.

'Then what is this?' He caught you trying to hide your elbow, and was shocked to see fresh blood oozing out from your wound. It was darn painful, but you could not reveal the pain. When you looked into his concerned eyes, you more you knew you could not reveal. At the moment, you realized, the butterflies in your stomach were dead. Pain overwhelmed your mind and body, not too sure whether it was caused by your scraped elbow or heart. You felt , and defenceless, with your armor dropped to the rough granite pavement.

'I'm really fine. I'm not that weak.'

'Let's get this treated. Look at the blood!'

'No. I mean, I will head home now and do some wash up and treatment. I will be alright. I promise... I don't wish to let Kris see me in this state. I promise I will be fine, alright?'

'Fine. Call me when you reached home?'

'Promise. But... please don't tell Kris.'

Tao nodded his head, and heaved out a sigh. He knew that you were more worried about Kris finding out that his fans are threatening you than your injury itself. You were always contended to know that Tao and you held this special connection, just like Kris and you. Many times, the two of you left things go unsaid, but Kris and you knew them clearler than any others. You hailed a cab quickly and left Tao alone behind before Kris arrived.

 

'I told Kris you had stomachache and left before he could even reach. Where are you now?' Tao texted you a message when you were grimacing in pain in the cab. 'Thanks. I will text him. Reaching home soon', you replied.

 

You dropped down into the couch once reached home. After a few minutes of rest, you stood up and walked to the sink. 'kkk' you swore under your breath as the cold tap water ran down your wound. The blood stained the towel as you wiped your wound. You felt stupid as you looked at the stained towel. As much as you felt that you did not deserve whatever that had  happened, deep down you knew you had expected this ever since the day you agreed to become Kris' girlfriend. However, reality still managed to hit you really hard. You started to wonder, whether are you really able to handle all these, whether are you really able to sallow these sufferings down, and for how long? The love you had always wanted, was different. Destiny caught you off-guarded, and when you immersed yourself in the sweet rush of romance, the bitterness came seeping in. You looked down onto the wet floor of your tears. 'Is this how love looks like?' you asked yourself.

 

After cleaning and treating your wound, you picked up and phone and sent a text to Kris.

'Boy. Sorry for leaving early. I think I ate something wrong and my stomach was in pain. Resting at home now'.

'Aigoo, are you alright now? :( I really wanted to see you though, but there's always a next time:) Pinky promise?'

Feeling a little better after reading his text, you sank deeper into the bed. As much as you wished he was beside right now, you could not bear to make him worry for you.

'Not pinky, but bluey promise:) I'm fine. Need to get some rest now. Big love:)' you sent him the text before  drifting off to your dreamland.

 

You were woken up by your ringing phone. It was Kris.

'Hey. What's up?' you said with your dry voice.

'Babe. Stay at home. I'm coming over right now. Bye.' He hung up the call even before you could utter another word.

 

When you got your senses back, you headed to the bathroom to get a quick wash up, and put on your pull-over. You are not letting Kris finding out about your wounded elbow, you are not planning to get the cover up exposed. Trying to make things more natural, you decided to turn on the TV and get his favorite drink prepared. A habit whenever Kris popped by your house.

 

The door bell rang and you went to get the door. A stern Kris was looking back at you. Taken aback, you stood motionless for a couple of seconds. Trailing behind Kris' back as both of you stepped back into the house, you felt a clench in your stomach.

 

'I've prepared your drink.' you smiled as you were moving into the kitchen to get the drink.

'I am sorry.' Kris grabbed your hand before you could make the move.

'What...I don't get you? Kris?'

'I'm sorry about my fans. Tao has told me...what happened this morning. I wasn't there to protect you. I wasn't there to stop them from hurting you... I wasn't there to keep you safe.'

'Kris...'

'I can't give you anything. I can't bring you to the movies. I can't take you for a walk on the streets. I can't dance with you in the rain. I can't protect you from my fans. You were hurt because of me. I know the reason why you didn't fight back. I know you were trying to protect me. You shouldn't have done that. It really hurts me to see you acting like this.'

'Kris. No...you don't have to give me anything. You don't have to. I know it hurts you to see me in pain, but it's my duty to keep you safe too. I'm stronger than many other girls, I know how to protect myself. Isn't this the reason why you fall for me? Kris...yes I do crave for the many things we are unable to do, but not doing them doesn't make our love any much lesser... and you've given me so much so much...'

'Silly.'

'You love silly. I know you do, like you always do.'

 

Kris embraced you into his arms. With your eyes closed, you smelled the familiar scent of cologne, you felt the familiar touch of chest and arms, you felt happiness, and a subtle smile escaped from your lips.

 

And yes, you felt the butterflies fluttering their wings once again in your stomach, those beautiful kind.

 

 

 

There's no need for armor and weapons

when the prince comes riding in his white horse,

to keep you safe.