October 24th, Saturday

If I Ain't Got You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rougly a year after they arrived at Area 39...

L.Joe is sitting by the window, watching the rain falling. He's always sitting in the same place at this cafe, cornered himself in his own thoughts, slowly observing his surrounding, it has been his habit every Saturday. The day when he always had evening coffee with his sworn brother, Niel. 4 PM is the appointed time. L.Joe look at the big clock in front of him, hanging above the slightly out of the place African statue. It's already 5 PM. He began to feel uneasy. Every time a figure with creamy hair passing by, his head is raising, but he always disappointed about what he saw.

"Waiting for Niel again?", Woohyun pull the chair to sit in front of L.Joe.
"Ah, hyung... what are you doing here? you should be in the kitchen", said L.Joe.
Woohyun owns this cafe along with his friend Sungyeol, he's the chef and Sungyeol is the barista.
"It's okay, not many orders in this rainy day. People are busy cuddling with their beloved ones back in their homes aren't they?", Woohyun look at L.Joe with mischievous smile.
L.Joe chuckled.
"Hyung... why haven't Niel showed up?", L.Joe asked the stupid question to Woohyun.
"You called him already?", he asked.
"Yeah, he didn't answer. I texted him. He didn't reply. It's not the first time though...", said L.Joe while gazing to the window.
"Maybe he stuck in traffic right now. Had no time to see his mobile", said Woohyun.
"Maybe... or maybe he doesn't want to meet me right now?", L.Joe smile, try to hide his anxiety.
"Yah... what's wrong with you two?", Woohyun squeezed L.Joe's shoulder.
"I don't know... sometimes I feel like, I'm the only one who always try to keep it together", L.Joe said.
"Go get a vacation together, you both need it", said Woohyun.

L.Joe smiled, he took the cup of coffee in front of him. He sipped it slowly.
"How could we have a vacation, we can't even afford to pay this month's rent", said L.Joe.
Right after they arrived at Area 39, Dongwoo gave them his place to stay, but then after L.Joe got a job as a waiter and Niel slowly got his small shows as singer in cafe after cafe, they decided to rent a place of their own. It's not easy as L.Joe's fees aren't much and Niel's job is not a consistent one, but they promise to each other that they will work hard for this new life they chose to had.

"You can always eat here for free if you want", said Woohyun to his beloved dongsaeng.
"Thanks, hyung... what you and Dongwoo-hyung gave us once we arrived at this city is more than enough . We don't want to be dependent on you guys", said L.Joe.
"Ah... L.Joe-ya... it's alright. You're still young, don't be so hard on yourself", said Woohyun.
L.Joe just smiled shyly. "Thanks, hyung", he said with his soft voice.
"Sungyeolie, would you bring another coffee for me?", asked Woohyun to Sungyeol who's busy making coffee behind the bar.
"Alright... there you go", Sungyeol gave another cup of coffee to Woohyun.
"Um, hyung... do you know where's Niel may at?", asked L.Joe to Sungyeol, since he's the closest to Niel.
"Isn't he had an audition today?", said Sungyeol.
"Ah, really? another audition? he didn't tell me anything", said L.Joe quite pissed.
"That's what he said yesterday night, though... I don't know if he had another plan", said Sungyeol.
"I already asleep when he back home last night. We didn't spoke this morning as I must go to my morning shift in hurry", said L.Joe.
"Just wait for him. He will come", said Sungyeol as he back behind the bar to make some orders.

L.Joe put his hand on the window, slowly erasing the rain's condensation, hoping that he might find the figure he's been waiting for in the hazy street beyond. He sighed and lay his head on the table. Woohyun just looking at him, didn't quite know what to do. He used to see L.Joe with Niel laughing merrily in his cafe everyday, to see that L.Joe is alone today waiting for Niel in agony is just sad.
"Maybe he took a shelter from the rain somewhere", said Woohyun, still try to comfort L.Joe. It's almost 6 now, the sky is getting darker.
"It's okay, hyung... I'll just go home and sleep", said L.Joe, walking out from his chair. Woohyun grabbed his hand.
"You two will perform today!", said Woohyun.
"Just forget it, you can perform. Sunggyu-hyung can perform, Dongwoo-hyung can perform. Anyone but us. It's not a problem, huh?', said L.Joe.
"Yaah... L.Joe-ya... at least play the piano while I'm singing... okay?, just wait longer", Woohyun try to bring L.Joe back to his seat.
"I don't want to perform today. This !", L.Joe yelled. He created an awkward situation right away, the customers turned their heads all at once, glared at the loud voice that breaking this cafe's quiet and comfy atmosphere. Woohyun bowing apologetically to them. He sighed at L.Joe that still look very upset.

"Sorry... I...", L.Joe went back to his seat. Saturday is also the scheduled day for him and Niel to perform at this cafe. But now, what he could do without his other half on the stage. Because for L.Joe, it's always a good time every time he played the piano for Niel, escorting that voice with notes from his hands, there's nothing more accomplishing for him. Now just raindrops heard. L.Joe closed his eyes to calm himself down. Finally the doorbell rings.

"Anyeong", a high voice came after. L.Joe look at the door. It's Niel.
"I'm sorry, hyung... I don't bring umbrella, so I have to take a shelter for awhile. But this rain just won't stop!", Niel put off his wet coat. And drag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter