♥ Despairing Dive [Review Rec]

[On Glory's Edge] The Archives
REVIEW REC 83.3
Despairing Dive
by ZeroPrincesses
 
Featuring: Infinite
Type: Oneshot
Status: Complete
Genre: Angst, Dark, Slice of Life
Main Characters: Myungsoo, Sungyeol, Sungjong
Main Pairings: Myungjong
Rated: None
Warnings: Slight Violence

review found here
DESCRIPTION
A moment of despair slapped into Myungsoo's life, twice; once when his mother passed away, and another when he realized the true meaning of love and friendship.
RECOMMENDED BY FLAMZFOX
 
Reason for Recommendation

It is so rare nowadays that we see a story that is truly beautiful in the way that it writes realistic fiction. It seems as though in our writing we've forgotten that the real world has stories and conflicts worth telling as well. The ability to take something simple, relatable, realistic and to turn that into a story worth reading is a brilliant talent. Too many people become caught up with trying to make something beautiful that in the end they make it too complex and it because forced and unrealistic.

In this sense, Despairing Dive is like a breath of fresh air that allows us to read something simple and realistic for a change. The relationships and conflicts that this particular story revolves around are written so well that you can't help but feel connected with it and suffer with the characters involved as well. In fact, many of you might find yourselfs in the role of Myungsoo...the unrequired love.

Suitable For

I suggest this to any fans of romance and realistic fiction. It really is a good read for pretty much anyone. I do warn those of you who tend to like more fantastical stuff or dramatic prose that this might not be your cup of tea. Despairing Dive really does tend to focus on the more realistic events of life (hence, slice of life) so it will not be the most enjoyable to you if you go for magic or horror or things of that sort.

Also, if you are one for romance fanfics where the people always end up together, stay far away. I don't want to give any spoilers, but perhaps this is not right for you if to you everything should be perfect in love.

That's all, hope you enjoy it!

 

EXCERPT
“Myungsoo, let’s get lunch,” Sungyeol interrupted. There’s my chance. My head slowly turned to see Sungyeol’s smiling face as he held onto Sungjong’s hands under his arm.

“S-sure,” I managed to say after taking a couple of minutes to digest the image. I have seen him do this a thousand times yet every single time my heart aches. I can never do that to Sungjong. I always hide behind a cloak of disguise and lock my heart up.

“Myungsoo, let’s go. We will never make it back in time if we don’t leave now!” Sungyeol exclaimed as the corner of his bottom lip covered his top. He then looked back at Sungjong, who had downcast eyes. He was biting into his lips as he tried to pull away from Sungyeol’s tight hold.

I could sense the fact that he was turning red from the other end of the room. “Sorry. I’m not hungry. Why don’t the two of you go?” I suggested with a fake, forced smile – that didn’t seem as it is.