Memory

The beginning of a new chapter

“They’re calling for the passengers to board the plane now.”

“You won’t go will you?”

“I don’t know Youngjae," He smiles a little sadly, "do you want me to?”

He waits for the boy standing before him to reply, to tell him what to do and end the turmoil heaving in his heavy heart. It's terrifying, waiting, possibly for an eternity to hear an answer he might not even want.

Youngjae's soft voice breaks the mess of broken thoughts and whirling emotions he is feeling. One word manages to bring a clarity one rarely has the opportunity to experience in a lifetime.




“Stay.”




________________________________________________________________________________________________________-
Daehyun smiles as he rides the bus home, his hand holding tightly onto paycheck tucked into the pocket of his pants. Youngjae is going to be pleased. 

Perhaps he can convince the boy to get some red bean buns tomorrow, or even cook some beef. Daehyun loves beef.

After bounding excitedly up the steps to the door, Daehyun unlocks the door with his key (which Youngjae had given to him) and goes inside, peering through the entrance and peering inside.

"I'm home!"

He grows silent, the house appears to be empty, and the house owner is nowhere in sight. There are some grocery bags still sitting on the kitchen counter, but no Youngjae.

Strange, normally Youngjae would have dinner prepared already so they could sit at the dining table to discuss what they'd done during the day. Today the dining table is empty of food and cutlery, not even the table cloth has been put on yet.

"Youngjae!!" He calls, and waits. There isn't an answer for what seems like a long time.

"Coming!" Youngjae's faint voice comes from the back of the house and he hears footsteps echoing through the corridor.

The boy traipses into the living room , face red, a little flustered and exhausted, "Hey," he says, "I was just tired from carrying the groceries so I took a break in my room."

"Oh," Daehyun pauses to digest the explanation, and puts on a grin once satisfied, "I've got something for you."

Youngjae immediately raises his brow and glances sideways at him, curious but also a little suspicious. The older boy is smiling as if he is clearly up to something no good and has his hand clenched around something in his pocket. Knowing Daehyun, it's probably a fake hairy spider or something equally as unpleasant. 

"It's my paycheck," Daehyun pulls out the slip and holds it out for Youngjae to take, his glee is hard to hide.

The younger narrows his eyes as he reaches over and gently takes it, pulling it taut between his fingers so that he can read the little numbers printed on the paper. His eyes widen at the number of zeros trailing behind the first digit, he blinks to make sure he's seeing things correctly.

"It's more than I thought it would be..." Youngjae says, looking up in disbelief, "is this really only for a week's worth of work?"

Daehyun nods, "yep, since they used me for the cover."

He watches Youngjae's eyes light up while he breathes a sigh of relief, "now I can finally pay the bill."

The older boy beams happily like a child and moves closer, "so, are you proud of me?"

Youngjae stops at the question and tilts his head to one side, smiling back at him, "yes Dae, I am very proud of you."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________


The light breeze blowing through the window makes him feel a little chilly, but Daehyun doesn't mind, the wide grin plastered onto his face holds testimony to that. This feeling of true lightness is something he hasn't felt in a long time, over a month to be exact. Because for the second time in his life Youngjae is a definite part of his life, and he's certain that things are going to work out.

He remembers what he'd felt the previous month, scared and afraid to let go, all the while knowing that he was going to lose everything. Smiling the whole time made it even harder, but he'd managed to keep up the charade so the other had never realized. They'd gone through life just as they normally had, doing what they normally did, saying what they normally said.

He'd taken a lot of things for granted.

You never know what you had until you've lost it.

Even more so when you're watching yourself let it go.


________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You appear to have outdone yourself," He says, attempting to act normally in front of the younger boy. His plate is raised into the air as he asks what he always asked after the first serving, "seconds please."

Youngjae smiles as he recieves the plate, how can he be smiling? It's a genuine smile too, is it really so easy for the other to let go?

He eats as fast as he can, not so much savouring the taste as doing his best not to let his emotions slip in front of the other boy. It will be easier for the both of them that way, easier for Youngjae.

Dinner ends too soon, the washing up, though carefully done, is finished in almost no time at all. Daehyun looks at the expression on Youngjae's face and tries to read it, hoping for a sign. But the boy just watches him blankly, and they both know that it is time for Daehyun to leave.

"Let's watch a movie," Daehyun blurts out, he doesn't want to go just yet. He wants to sit with his best friend and bicker with him about a movie they've already watched many times, one last time for old time's sake.

Youngjae agrees, Daehyun chooses a cd, they move to the couch and press play.

Friendships are born and enemies are defeated, and Daehyun watches it all. The little cartoon characters move about the screen, like little clock hands ticking the time away. It brings back memories from years ago that he's almost forgotten.

A light thud on his shoulder tells him that Youngjae has fallen asleep, and he turns to look at the boy. His eyes are gently closed and he looks peaceful, captivating. Daehyun wonders if he is dreaming, if so, will he be dreaming about him?

"Youngjae-ya," he murmurs softly into the other's ear, brushing his fingers through the his soft, dark locks, "will you miss me?"

There is no reply from the sleeping boy, who is oblivious to the world, and Daehyun decides to let him rest at his side. He wishes that he could stay in this point of time forever, and never have to leave.

But the movie ends all too soon, while credits used to only bore him, now he hates them. They appear to roll on endlessly, but only seem to last for a few short seconds. Daehyun uses the the precious time they provide to commit Youngjae's warmth to memory.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Daehyun opens his eyes and sighs. The memories are flooding back.

He remembers dragging his tiny suitcase across an uninviting cold airport, wishing that he'd said more when he was standing on Youngjae's doorstep. He remembers desperately holding onto the image of Youngjae's face while waiting in an airport for a plane to come and take him away. He remembers calling Youngjae one last time, hearing the familiar voice from the other side, all the while hoping madly that the boy will tell him to stay.

He remembers the line going dead, and realizing that he will never see Youngjae again.









___________________________________________________________________________________
So I did say that I was going to write with Daehyun's point of view of the previous events, only it turned out a little more angsty than I thought it would. Still hope you guys liked it though. Will post the next chapter asap :P.
Also the song playing through my head was Block B's movie's over, in case anyone wanted to know..