Tulip

The beginning of a new chapter

"I am really starting to regret not letting your leave Korea when I had the chance."

"Aww...I'm hurt," Daehyun whines on the kitchen counter. Youngjae slams a fork onto the surface of the table in front of him.

"Then get a job," he says, "or I'm kicking you the hell out."

"You're making me live as a homeless person on the streets?" The older boy drops his head on his folded arms, "how cruel."

He watches as several wrinkles appear between Youngjae's narrowed eyes.

"Water, I pay almost twice what I normally do for it because you insist on taking such epically long showers on the hottest setting every freaking night," Youngjae rants, "I also, pay almost twice what I used to for food because you seem to be raiding the pantry 24/7 and leaving nothing for me to cook with..."

The blank look he gets in return fills him with utter annoyance.

"Yah! Jung Daehyun, are you even listening to me?!"

"We're out of red bean buns," is the reply he gets as Daehyun seems to snap back into reality.

The younger stops for a moment, looking at the boy at the kitchen counter, "what?"

"You mentioned the pantry right?" Daehyun says in an oblivious tone, "we need to stock up on red bean buns because we're out."

"You weren't listening to me at all were you?"

"What? No-I mean yes, I totally was," the older babbles a bit, "you said something about the pantry and the 24 hour convenience store?..."

A vein seems to bulge from the side of Youngjae's forehead as he squeezes the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger. The guilty moocher sits tensed in his seat with his eyes wide when he realizes that Youngjae has on his "I will murder the next thing that moves" look.

"That's it."

I am so dead, thinks Daehyun.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

He sighs, staring down at the newspaper on the table with a frown. How on earth did Youngjae expect him to find a job in a week? His "raging incompetence" made it seem barely possible if not impossible.

"He won't really kick me out will he?" He says to the vase on the counter holding several fake tulips, "I really don't want to leave him."

One of the tulips faces him a little droopily, dead to his questions since it was never alive anyway. Daehyun ignores it and focuses instead on the more optimistic looking yellow tulip.

"I'm sure everything will work out," he speaks again and sighs, more to himself this time before picking up the newspaper again and looking through the job listings. Living with Youngjae sure did beat going to America, and he wasn't sure if he could even return to his parents house.

He didn't want to have to keep relying entirely on Youngjae anymore, even though he had pretty much had everything taken care of by the younger. Admittedly, Daehyun felt a little guilty for living off Youngjae's food and freeloading in his home for the past couple of weeks. It seems like he'd been reliant on Youngjae in one way or another ever since they first met. Food of course, was one of the big things. Companionship was another thing, though he'd been hoping that went both ways.

In any case there was no way he would have survived until now if the other wasn't there. Maybe it was time the other needed him too.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Youngjae sighs and rubs his temples with his fingers. There was a reason why he'd been putting off looking at the bill for this month. It had almost given him a heart attack when he'd seen the neatly printed numbers on the bright white paper pulled out from the waxy envelope.

"That bastard..."

Boy was he going to have Daehyun's head tonight.

"Don't think about it now Youngjae," he says to himself in order to lower his rising blood pressure, "it's not the end of the world..."

"YOOUUNGGJAAEE!!!!"

He jumps at the loud noise and suddenly feels a pair of strong hands on his shoulders, "Youngjae!"

Said boy hisses in anger as he whirls around, "what?! You ing scared me."

"Sorry sorry," Daehyun grins as he pats Youngjae on the shoulder, "I thought you heard me coming in."

"I was looking at the bill you idiot," Youngjae snaps, "and why the hell did you shout-"

"I got a job."

He stops, blinks, looks up. Youngjae can't believe his ears, "what?"

"I got a job," Daehyun blurts out happily, "isn't that great?"

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes it was great, it was beyond great. The cash that would be rolling in from Daehyun's job was great, even though it was only part time.

It was hardly surprising what kind of job his housemate had managed to nab with his raging incompetence. He was stupid, clumsy and tardy. But good looking, too good looking for Youngjae's liking. Funny how he hadn't thought of putting it to use before, the pay was amazing.

"How do I look?" Daehyun asks as he stands before Youngjae in a checkered button up shirt and tight black jeans that hugged his legs.

"Good," Youngjae says as he looks the sandy haired boy up and down, "really good."

Oh god he sounded like a ert.

He coughs, "I mean you look smart, it should definitely leave a good impression."

"Really?" Daehyun smiles, "you really think so?"

"Yeah," Youngjae grins back before moving behind Daehyun and pushing him towards the door, "now go, or I'm going to be pissed when they fire you from your first high paying job because you were late."

"I will bring you bacon!" Daehyun says out loud as he's pushed out, which sounded like a funny thing to say.

"Yes please do," the younger replies, watching the older move down the driveway.

Leaning against the doorframe, he feels like a mother watching her son fly the nest, earning independence under the sun's rays and finally not being so much of a burden. It's a nice feeling, albeit a little odd.

Also Daehyun's pants are really tight.

"Jesus," he swears as finally looks at his watch, "I'm going to be late for the lecture."

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Daehyun snickers under his breath as he waits at the bus stop. The plan had totally worked.

Operation "look cool in front of Youngjae" had been a success and he felt great.

It must have been the pants, he decided, he'd chosen them specifically for the occasion and had caught the younger's eyes just as expected. For once, Youngjae hadn't looked at him like he was just some annoying freeloading slob. Maybe it was even possible to make the brunette start thinking of him differently.

"Just you wait Yoo Youngjae," Daehyun chuckles to himself, "I'm going to show you just how cool I can be-"

"Excuse me?"

"Huh?" He blinks as a gruff voice returns him to the real world.

"Are you going to get on the bus or not?" An annoyed looking bus driver looks at him through the entrance of the bus. It seems to have stopped right in front of him for some odd reason.

"Oh," Daehyun drops the arm he'd been holding out to wave down the bus and gets on, "yeah, sorry. One stage please?"




-------------------------------
First chapter up! I know its short but its still only a sort of introductory chapter, the others will be longer I promise. Hope you enjoyed it. XP