1

|• Sleeping Sun •|

|"Sleeping Sun"|

 

 

|||

 

His name- Yong Junhyung, a very simple man. He works as a librarian in an almost ancient library in London. Junhyung usually just cleans up the dusty shelves of the beloved books becauae it was rare for anyone to walk into there. He loves them all, for they were the final remembrances of his grandfather, who practically raised him since birth.

 

Junhyung pushed his glassess higher up on his nose bridge, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration in the silent library. He was caught up in the story— it was a unique one— a man fighting for his loved one in a fierce battle on horseback. Junhyung could almost feel the rush of wind through his hair as the horse galloped with all its might. He could almost smell the lost scent of pine trees and the clear blue skies that hovered above.

 

The door to the library opened, startling Junhyung from his book. He was surprised.

 

"Welcome! How may I assist you?" Junhyung smiled warmly. The visitor took his cloak off and hung it up onto the coat rack. It was a young boy.

 

"Hello," He bowed. "I would like to look at some books... If I am not disturbing you...?"

 

Junhyung nodded and stood up from his seat swiftly. The boy was adorable from top to toe. His large eyes were pitch black and sparkled with mischief. He had soft features and his hair looked like silk. Junhyung swallowed thickly and walked forward.

 

"And what types of books are you interested in?" He asked softly, his dark brown eyes made contact with the stranger's black ones.

 

"I like mysteries... Especially kidnap cases, murder cases and things of that sort..." The boy said, venom dripping with every word. He ran a finger across the spine of a dusty leather book. Junhyung shuddered unconsciously. He led the boy to those books with a nod and pointed to a few of his favorites, explaining a bit about the story as the boy listened intently.

 

Junhyung returned to his desk with a sigh, dropping down onto the leather seat in a lazy matter. He closed his eyes and listened. He could hear the boy's quiet steps in the corner, the sound of pages turning and the sliding of a leather book back into the oak shelves.

 

When the boy's footsteps got too loud, he opened his eyes in time to see the boy step towards him with a small black leather book with gold lettering. Junhyung knew that book. A kidnapper wrote it- he wrote all of his victims' stories and how they died. Well, it was a legend that the actual kidnapper wrote it. No one knew who it was really.

 

Junhyung looked the book over when the boy passed it to him. He stamped the slip inside and slipped the due date reciept into the book's center.

 

"Your name please." He said.

 

"Yoseob. Yang Yoseob." The boy said confidently. Junhyung froze. He wrote the name and gave the book back to the boy. His name was extremely familiar. He just couldn't place where or when he heard or saw it before...

 

The boy wore his coat again and held the door knob. He turned around and faced Junhyung. "Good night. Take care..." He smiled wickedly and Junhyung could only nod in reply.

 

|||

 

When the grandfather clock by the door rang eight times, Junhyung shot up from his chair. It was time to go home— but it was an empty one. He had no one left. Well, except for his girlfriend. But his girl belonged to an aristocratic family; distant relatives of the king himself, for her mother was the King’s cousin.

 

Junhyung wore his coat over his brown knitted vest and then wore his cloak over that. A black scarf covered his nose and he slung his bag to his side.

 

With the quiet jingling of keys, the door was locked and the lights of the small library were turned off. The clock continued ticking in its never-ending pace.

 

Junhyung looked down the street. It was already dark and everyone returned to their small homes, the only sign of anyone's existence were the faint glows of light inside brick homes.

 

He walked slowly, wrapping his scarf tighter around himself, as the wind blew cold gusts towards him. Small snowflakes scattered over the skies and the frozen ground beneath. It was the right choice not to take his horse to town today. He would have slipped on the icy streets.

 

He kicked a small rock in his path and turned the corner of the street to a hidden, dark road that went towards the woods. As soon as he was under the trees, he stopped in his tracks— he had heard the crackling of leaves behind him. He turned around and looked for a sign of anyone.

 

He heard a low chuckling echo through the woods; his skin prickling in anxious fear.

 

"Hello?" He called out. "Anyone there?"

 

No one answered his question,the still silence hanging in the air like a cold, cold blanket.

 

Junhyung walked forward again, shaking his head at his 'stupid' intuition and gut feeling. He shook off the feeling that someone was following him, because that was highly... Impossible. He wasn't a noble of any sort; he was just a simple librarian with looks that made most of the girls squirm in their seats.

 

He worked at a saloon as the bartender on weekend nights, earning just enough to get by. He hated it there, however, for he preffered the silence and peace of the forest rather than the loud bustling streets of London's outskirts— small bands playing loudly in the streets, flirty girls trying to get a hold of the first male they found attractive and the children running around. Oh how Junhyung despised those children; filthy, stupid and plain annoying to the eyes and ears.

 

Junhyung hurried his steps, seeing his little log home with the candle lit by the door. A white mare stood at the post, tied firmly.

 

Looks like Hyosung snuck out to see him again. A smile graced Junhyung's lips as he swung the wooden door open and was greeted by the beautiful smiling face of his lover.

 

"Hello, love. Welcome back home..." She whispered, kissing his nose. He chuckled and swung her in a circle.

 

"I see you've snuck out again— do you realize what you father could do to me?" Junhyung said jokingly. Hyosung chuckled and pouted playfully.

 

"Well I missed my Junhyung so I went out to see him." She chuckled. "My father can send an army to find me but I won't care at all."

 

Junhyung kissed her lips softly. "I love you..."

 

She grinned and pulled him to the kitchen. "I made you dinner!"

 

"Will you join me?" He asked her.

 

"Well... I can't join you tonight. I must head home. You came home pretty late you know- I was worried that something had happened to you!" She said sadly.

 

"It's alright. I don't want your father getting angry anyway." He smiled a bit. Hyosung nodded and kissed him again, hugging him tightly.

 

"Eat well, alright? I don't want you getting sick in this horrible weather!" She reminded him softly. She pulled away and kissed him once more on his heart shaped lips before slipping on her cloak and walking quickly to the door.

 

Junhyung followed her and watched her mount her horse. She waved goodbye before taking a well worn path back to her parents' manor. He blew her a kiss and waved. He watched her until even the sound of her horse's hoofbeats faded into the silence.

 

He loved her so much it was almost painful to see her leave all the time.

 

He entered his home again with a heavy sigh. He sat at the table with a sad look in his eyes. Junhyung wanted nothing more that a fairytale story- exciting, breathtaking and mysterious. He layed down on his bed, closing his eyes in an effort to dream of something- anything- that his imagination would allow.