Chapter 3

Conflicted Feelings

For some odd reason unknown to Taekwoon himself, he seemed to have done a lot better with Minji by his side physically, cheering him on in the stands. He felt a little guilty that he hadn't given a thought to Jiyoung, but she probably caught a ride with one of the soccer players, anyway.

Gosh, he felt like a just saying that. What kind of guy just lets his girl get away like that?

His teammates had told him to rein down Jiyoung a little bit, but he couldn't bring himself to do so. She was a free spirit, a wild horse, and Taekwoon wasn't the type to hold a girl back. He was too quiet to do so.

Jiyoung may seem all sweet and nice on the outside, but he and his teammates knew that she was a manipulative girl when she really tried. All she had to do was to flash that sweet smile of hers, bat an eyelash or two, and the victim became putty in her hands.

Except for Taekwoon. That was probably why they first started to date to begin with.

At first, they showed all the signs of a couple madly in love; mushy dates, kisses and hugs every five seconds, cute selca pictures of the both of them. But they seemed to drift apart these past couple of weeks, it didn't feel the same as it used to.

But Minji... Minji was a different girl. Taekwoon couldn't believe that he let such a girl pass between his fingers. She was the type of girl guys would get along with, someone whom he could protect. She could be all snappy and standoffish on the outside, but the Minji he knew was a complete dork and was completely into video games.

She didn't use her charm to her own advantage; it just came out whenever she stepped in the room. Her charm just came with her.

Unlike Jiyoung, Minji was quite low-maintenence. She didn't need much to keep her spirits up, and Taekwoon liked that complicated simplicity of hers. And she was always there for him when he needed her to keep his spirits up.

He almost found it unfair that he was comparing the two girls. Almost.

Jiyoung used to complain about Minji all the time behind her back to him, which he would just dismiss with a look that said 'you do realize she is my best friend?'. But Minji had supported their relationship through thick and thin, and he couldn't have been more grateful.

After thinking about it a little more, he finally made his decision. He would break up with Jiyoung on Monday. After all, she seemed to have lost interest in him, as he had. It was easier for the both of them, since they obviously weren't madly in love with each other anymore.

"Great job, Taekwoon! That was awesome!" Minji cheered, running down the steps with a water bottle in her hand. God, even the way she clumsily made her way through the soccer field was enough to make Taekwoon blush. What made him turn into a jittery schoolgirl overnight? He felt like the  elementary girls that would crowd around the corner of the school playground, blushing at the cutest boy in their grade.

Were girls really like that? He figured, since he had three noonas. But they weren't always honest with him, so he kind of had a skewed vision of a girl's heart.

"T-Thanks..." He stammered, blushing and looking down at the ground. They started to walk out the stadium into the cold night. Sitting by the bus stop, they sat in comfortable silence, just the way Taekwoon liked it.

Tonight, though, it was eating him up on the inside.

"Are you alright? You look really warm..." She sounded genuinely concerned, pressing the back of her hand against his flushed forehead. Her hand was a little cold, so he naturally flinched at the contact.

He was even more surprised when he grabbed her hand, pulled her towards him and kissed her.

==========================================

My heart started to beat erratically when I felt Taekwoon's lips. The butterflies increased exponentially in my stomach as he cupped my face in his large hands, his lips started to move gently against mine, coaxing them to kiss back.

I had been waiting for this all along, but why didn't it feel right? I pulled away from him gently, not wanting to look standoffish. We seemed to be the only ones at the bus stop now.

"T-Taekwoon..." He shushed me by brushing his thumb across my bottom lip.

"Minji-ah... I don't know how to say this, but... I love you." My eyes widened. He loved me?

"B-But... What about--"

"Jiyoung? I don't have feelings for her anymore." His eyes seemed to glaze over, any emotion that he had for her was long gone. He seemed to have gotten over her a while ago. How did I not notice this? Even though I didn't like Jiyoung and Taekwoon together, seeing him act like this broke my heart.

"Taekwoon... I love you too, but... please break it off with Jiyoung first before you come to me. I know you don't love her anymore, but I don't want to see you like this." I said, cupping his cheek and turning his face towards me. "Okay? I don't want us to become awkward." He nodded and smiled a small smile, but his eyes were forlorn and filled with confusion.

"Gosh, Minji, you are... I don't know how I didn't see you for the longest time. I wonder what it would've been like if I confessed to you earlier." He sighed, running his hands through his short hair.

"Definitely wouldn't have been like this, that's for sure." I giggled, and he shot a soft smile at me. It was his way of laughing along, and I didn't mind it. I got up and reached a hand out to him.

"Ready to go home?" He grabbed my hand and intertwined his fingers with mine. I thought of how our hands perfectly fit together, and flushed. Thank goodness it was dark.

We walked home in silence, and when Taekwoon dropped me off at my house by the bus stop, he gave me a peck on the cheek. "I'll see you at school." He whispered, and walked off.

I put a hand to the cheek that Taekwoon kissed. "Taekwoon... what is this feeling?"

Unlocking the door to my house, I was in a state of euphoria. He confessed to me! But what if it was his post-game happiness that made him like that? My heart was crushed at the possibility. I didn't realize I was wearing my feelings on my sleeve until my mom looked at me.

"Honey, what's the matter? You look like a lovesick puppy."

"I don't even know, Mom. What if someone has kissed you, but they are drifting away from their girlfriend? What am I supposed to do? They are technically still in a relationship..."

"It's Taekwoon, isn't it?" My mouth hung agape as she smiled in victory.

"H-How--"

"I always shipped the two of you."

"Mom!"

She laughed. "But seriously, all jokes aside. I think you need to give it some time. Boys like Taekwoon might need time to sort out their feelings. It might've been just something else." My heart sank a little.

"Don't worry, I won't let him hurt my poor little Minji! OMO, my baby had her first kiss!" She gushed happily, hugging me and twirling me around the kitchen. I giggled. "Mom! I'm going to go shower."

"Okay dear. Do you want something to eat?"

"I'm not hungry."

"Alright, I made some noodles, they're in the fridge if you want some." She called after me as I trotted up the stairs.

After I showered, I plopped on my bed and looked up at the ceiling. Today... was an eventful day. I finally realized my feelings, and I guess Taekwoon did, too. I touched my lips and smiled.

I guess I wasn't a kiss anymore...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

School passed by in a blur. Exams, friends and sleepless nights just melded together like a hazy dream, but soon it was Friday again.

I hadn't had the chance to talk to Taekwoon since that day, and the rumor mill had been spinning like crazy. Apparently the 'Star Couple' (Taekwoon and Jiyoung) had broken up, and both genders were equally as excited to take a shot at winning their affection.

I, as usual, didn't care.

"Omo, Minji-ah, didn't you hear?" YuRah asked as she sat her tray down next to mine at lunch. I sighed as I closed my book.

"Only a hundred and one times. Like, what's so great about it?" I said, looking at her. She shrugged.

"Keeps the rumor mill spinning, I guess. Have you heard from Taekwoon at all?" I shook my head sadly. I only told YuRah because I knew she wasn't going to tell a soul, and she was definitely keeping her promise.

"Don't worry! He'll come around." She smiled, scooping up a bite of ramen and I felt a little better.

Lunch was otherwise uneventful until the cafeteria came to a hush. I looked up to see Taekwoon staring straight at me. I felt the wrath of his fangirls boring into my back, and I felt small.

"Come with me." He whispered, grabbing my hand and dragging me out of the lunchroom. I struggled to get out of his hold, but he was persistent. It wasn't until we got to the rooftop that I finally succeeded. "YAH, Jung Taekwoon, what does this mean?"

He cupped my face in his hands again and kissed me passionately. His mouth moved against mine, and I tried to mirror his actions, hoping that I was at least kissing him back right. Pulling back, he leaned his forehead against my own, trying to catch his breath.

"Do you know how long I've been wanting to do that?" I shook my head, and he kissed my nose. Pulling me into a hug, he cradled me back and forth. I felt protected in his arms.

"Minji, I've loved you since we walked into this high school together. You loved me for Jung Taekwoon, not the national soccer player Taekwoon. I didn't feel this way even around Jiyoung, and when we kissed that night after my soccer game, I realized that I loved you. So... will you be my girl? For as long as we live?"

"Yah, Jung Taekwoon, are you proposing to me now?"

He looked thoughtful. "Proposing to be your lawfully wedded boyfriend." I groaned.

"Oh my God, Taekwoon. Just stop it."

"So? Will you?"

In that instant, I knew what my answer was going to be.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Yes!"

======================================================================

And... BOOM! The End~

Please vote, comment, subscribe and rate if you liked it/loved it. If you hated it, well... just do it anyway ;D

Love you all, and have an awesome weekend! <33