Part I

Bad Luck

            Sunny morning. The sun shone warmly. The wind blew breezy. Pleasant morning. But, Chemi did not feel excited at all. She was walking toward the bus stop. She should go to the campus that day. It should be a great day for her because she could meet up with her friends at there, discussing about the tasks that must be collected in the near future, and could steal time to hang out for a while with them in the a café or even just eating at a roadside cafe that was located not too far from Daejoon Park. Why it sounds boring, huh? Her mind thought. It’d be a great time for me like always, but why I have no passion today?

            She had passed Daejoon Park. She did not realize that the front pocket of her backpack was not sealed. Her wallet was already sticking out, and finally, it fell down without her knowledge. Chemi kept walking toward the bus stop. Well... I hope today will be a great day, she hoped.

 

***

 

            Kiseop’s routine activity was jogging in every morning and so that day. He decided to come to Daejoon Park to had some work out. Apparently, the park was pretty crowded by the people who also did the same. After having some work out, Kiseop took a rest for awhile on a park bench while watching the people passing by in the park.

            A short-haired girl grabbed his attention. Her face was grave, but could not erase her beauty appearance. Indeed, her face was very good looking. Yaaa... Kiseop ah, what are you doing?! His mind scolded him, and tried to take his eyes off  from the girl.

            Suddenly, a rectangular-shaped object was sticking out of her backpack stole his attention. Kiseop looked at the girl for a moment and finally he knew that the girl did not know her wallet was falling.

            When Kiseop would pick up and returned the wallet to her, a man already got it, and then ran away. Realizing that he had a bad intentions, Kiseop immediately ran towards him.

            "Give me the wallet!" Kiseop said sternly after successfully blocking the man.

            "What do you mean?" The man asked, turning to face him with an innocent look.

            "Don’t pretend you don’t know what I mean! You've just picked up the wallet that fell on the road. Instead of gave it back to its owner, you took it for yourself! That's bad, you know? Give it to me! I'll return it."

            Suddenly, the man attacked him. Fortunately, Kiseop could attack him back. He even locked his hands that intended to hit him. The man winced in pain. "Give me the wallet or I’ll call the police to arrest you!" he threatened.

            With the trembling hands, he handed the wallet to Kiseop. And when Kiseop loosen his hands from him, he ran away. "Bad guy!" he scoffed, then stared at the wallet in his hand. I hope she's still in the park, Kiseop hoped and started running back to Daejoon Park.

 

***

 

            Her cell phone was ringing and its ringtone was her debut’s song of which titled No No No No No. Chemi took it out of her jeans pocket and immediately press the answer button. Who is calling me at this time? Her mind asked. She had been at the bus stop that crowded by the people who waited for the bus, just like what she did.

            "Why do you call me, Hara yah?" she asked to the person on the other line.

            "Do you bring my book?" her friend on the other line asked her back.

            "Yes, I do. Calm down," replied Chemi in a lightly voice.

            "I couldn’t calm down. You're the person who always forget anything easily, Chemi yah! Why don’t you check it again if you really do bring my book. Just to make me sure."

            "Yaaa... you’re so annoying! All right, I'll check it out. Wait a minute." Chemi put her cell phone to her shoulder by her ear, while she opened her backpack and started looking for the book. "I bring it. Really I do, Hara yah! You know, now I'm... oh, my God!" Chemi was surprised to see the front pocket of her backpack was opened. I was robbed!?

            "What’s wrong, Chemi yah? What's wrong with my book?" said Hara after hearing Chemi shouted in surprised.

            "Your book is okay. The pocket of my backpack..." It was empty. What thing that I put in there? Something valuable? Is that important?

            "What’s wrong?"

            "I'll tell you later. Bye!"

            Click!

            Chemi was silent. She still thought what she might put into the pocket. Gosh, why am I so forgetful like this?! She grumbled in upset while clutching her head with her hands. I put the money and cell phone in the pocket of my jeans. So, what thing which I put into it? What thing?

            Chemi’s eyes accidentally stopped at the man who seemed to be looking for someone in front of the entrance gate of Daejoon Park which was located not too far from the bus stop. He looked nervous. What’s wrong with him? Her mind asked. Wow, the wallet in his hand looks so nice! Maybe it will be given to someone whom he’s looking for. Ummm, wait! I think I've ever seen that wallet. Suddenly, she realized something.

            That's my wallet!

 

***

 

            Where is the girl? His mind asked while looking for the owner of the wallet. If I’m not mistaken, she's walking toward the bus stop, right? I’ll go there then! When he was about to ran to the bus stop, the person whom he looked for was already in front of him. He detained his pace not to hit the girl who was shorter than him.

            "That's my wallet, right?"  she asked at him to make sure. "And you took it out of my backpack?"

            "Yes, it's your wallet. But, I didn’t take it. Really!" said Kiseop, returning the wallet to her. "I saw it fell from your backpack when you passed through this park. Don’t think bad about me!"

            The girl looked at Kiseop sharply. She took the wallet and immediately put it into her backpack and this time she did not forget to sealed it. "Should I believe your word?"

            "Yaaa... do I look like a bad guy?"

            "Yes, a little bit, I guess." Then, she glanced at her watch. "Oh my God! I'll be late," she cried, then ran toward the bus stop. The bus that she waited for was already there.

            "Yaaa... you didn’t even say thank you to me?" cried Kiseop when she ran. There was no answer from her because she had boarded to the bus. Damn! His mind shouted in upset. This is the first time I am treated bad by the girl. Am I not looking good today?

 

***