Chapter 1 - Fall From Grace

Heir of Hearts (Co-author Needed)

 

Fall From Grace
_______________________________________________________________________________
                                   "Stay with me, My Princess."

The girl was on barefoot, rushing through the woods, her scratches and wounds long became numb. Her companion was nowhere in sight, and all she could do was hope that her friend was right on her tail.

Eunji-eonni.

Her chest ached, and soon enough her legs had failed her. The wounds had become too unbearable, there was blood everywhere. She panted and winced, gathering her remaining bit of energy to retreat into the shadows.

“Naeun-yang!” A panic loud shriek called from behind. The girl instantly recognized the voice as her friend’s. She breathed out a short sigh of relief, her friend was alright. Perhaps not save, but doing alright.

A painful feeling snapped her out of her gratitude. It was dark, very dark. The night sky was not accompanied by a single star. And for that she was blinded by darkness, it was a miracle how she could make it this far into the forest. Hot liquid ran down her slender legs, imprinting stains on her white dress. It probably did not matter anymore, seeing how her dress was already covered in mud and soil. The color red would just add more ‘it’ factor to her dress. Perhaps more blood the better? It was royal.

“Naeun-Yang! Agasshi!” Her friend called again, sounding more desperate than before. The wounded girl wanted to respond, to come out in view. But her pain was too much. She was too weak, she just couldn’t.

Girls, ladies, women. We are never weak my dear, we can never be weak. Especially in the presence of men.

Especially girls like you.

 Naeun closed her eyes, absorbing the once beautiful memory. She remembered the words and the moment so clearly. Poise and with affection, those were how her mother delivered the advice to her. The girl was once mesmerized by it, admiring it as the wisest sentence ever.

But not anymore.

Now she had fully understood. No one was perfect, not even her wise and loving mother. If she had been right, surely this would not have happened; if she had been right, she would still be there for her daughter.

She was wrong, so wrong.

It angered Naeun, how she was strip from her own title, how she had been casted away like no one, how she had been dishonored and stepped upon, how she was no longer who she was for the past 19 years. Enraged but devastated, distressed and yet frightened. Her emotions, how she felt at that moment…Were all too confusing. No one could understand her, simply no one. And she knew that.

A Princess is always a Princess.

Another lie.

Were this what her life had been built upon? Lies?

Naeun smirked. If these were real, then let them be. Her life was now nothing but a show, and the show must go on. The former Princess did not shed a single tear following her dethroned of title, and she was determined to let that continue.

Countless hours of studying, perfecting poises and manners, losts and tears……Just for this?

Empty promises.


"Noona, yepeota!" The princess jerked a little at her little brother. The boy had just burst into her room without any knockings, much to the maids dismay.

"Jaewoo-ah, how many times must I tell you? Do not enter a room without knocking," She lightly scolded the boy. Jaewoo's smile faded and was now replace by his infamous 'duck-face'. His lips were curled together and he looked ridicolously bored, "Oh Noona, It's just you, nothing special."

"What do you mean by that huh? Huh?" Naeun pinched his cheeks." What did you eat Jaewoo-ah? Your cheecks are all puff up and chubby. It's must be those moist chocolate cake right? Get any chubbier and you won't even be fit for the next ball."

The boy wriggled his way from his sister's touch, running across the room and jumped on to the King-sized poster bed. He rubbed his sore cheecks and whined, "I eat healthily! Noona is the one who keeps pinching me and, oww..." He rubbed his cheeks again.

Naeun giggled at the adorable sight. It still amazes her how her 6-year-old baby brother was growing so rapidly. Seemed just like yesterday that the cry of her newborn brother chimed through the whole block. He came into this world at dawn, moments before the sun rose. The girl remembered that day ever so clearly, it was magical and depressing.

Mother.

"Naeun noona," Jaewoo called, suddenly sitting calmly on her bed.

"Hmm?" She responded.

His playful eyes slowly melted into concern and perhaps, even fear. Naeun sighed mentally; she knew what her brother was afraid off, even if the matter did not concern him at all. Decisions were to be made and it would determine her fate in life. Which would it be? The bright and clear path that her parents had opened for her or the new estranged path that has yet to promise any future? Whichever it was, she was still scared.

But she could not show her feelings, her fears were to be unknown from the public, from her royal family, from her maids and knights. Only she would know what her true feelings were, may it be fear, anger, or devastation. No one should know her real heart. No one.

Naeun gracefully made her way to her bed and took a seat beside the young prince. Her wrist brushed through Jaewoo's hair, "What is it, hmm?" She asked, looking at him with affection.

"Everything is okay, right Noona?" Jaewoo asked.

This boy is too smart for his own good

"Deh," She answered, giving the prince a smile, "Why wouldn't it be?"

Jaewoo reverted his gaze from the older girl, swinging his feet back and forth before continuing, “Then...Why do we need to have this meeting?"

It was not really a meeting, more like a gathering actually. Gathering of doom for her matter. But surely, the little boy did not need to wreck his brain for a term, and he was just 6. Repeating, just 6.

“Step-mother just want to see us Jaewoo-ah, is that so wrong?” She retorted.

“In these clothes Noona? Cheongmal?”

Repeating, too smart. “Yes, it is nice to be all dolled up and beautiful. Don’t you think?”

“Aish Noona. I don’t like dolls, they are for girls. Girls have cooties!” The prince said, his face scrunching to an unpleasant expression.

Naeun narrowed her eyes, her hands preparing to tickle her brother, “What did you say? Cooties? So I have cooties too huh? Huh?”

The boy grinned, jumping off his sister’s bed, “ Uh’uh. All girls! You, step-mother, Woori Noona and Eunji Noona too!”

“Why you little…” The girl started chasing her brother. Even though she was dressed in heavy attire, she was still very fast when it comes too running.

And apparently, her brother too.

The two royal siblings were literally running around the room, giggles and laughter filled the air. They did not even realize that the door had been open, and a figure had walked in. The anonymous lady travelled further into the bedroom, her face looking very much annoyed in the scene in front of her.

The younger of the two siblings noticed the girl first. His running halted, making his sister capture him. Naeun noticed that her brother was staring on something, and her eyes followed the boy’s line of gaze.

She gulped.

Standing just a few feet in front of them was a girl dressed in a beautiful gown. Her gown’s length was just like Naeun’s, so long that it almost touches the grown. The upper part of it was laced with translucent pink fabric and the rest flowed down in a striking velvet colour. It also had many small silver coloured stone that shimmered on the gown.

It was shining, it was mesmerizing, it was simply beautiful, and it was hers.

Yes, Naeun remembered the velvet dress ever so well. It was a dress that had been tailored for custom. She remembered how her father curiously asked what she would like for a garment. What she really thought a true princess should wear. She reluctant answered her father, listing down all the features and details she had dreamed of for a perfect gown.

Her father surprised her in the next few days following his question. It was at dawn, and her father called her to his room. When she stepped in, Naeun was met by the exact replica, if not an even better version of her dream dress.

“Do you like it Naeun?” Her father asked, his eyes lighted in excitement. The Queen, Her Royal Highness Lady Im Soorim let out a soft giggle, shaking her head at the sight of her husband’s rare childish antics.

“It’s still early, my King. Why don’t you let Naeun prepare herself first? Our poor daughter is still……Doozy, if I may say so myself.”

“Gwenchana, Ommonim. I’m fine.” Naeun gave the Queen a soft smile. Her mother on the other hand, let out a sigh, “Come here Naeun.” She called.

Despite being mesmerized by the gorgeous dress, the young princess still walked closer to her mother who was sitting on an oak sofa in the far end of the room, “Please take a brush too my princess.”

Naeun followed her mother’s words. She stopped in front of a dresser and took out a beautiful egg shell color hair brush, before making her way to the queen. The older woman smiled, she motioned her daughter to sit beside her, and she did.

“Aigoo, poor girl. Your father was so excited he didn’t even let you shower, did he?” The queen questioned as she let out a small giggle. Her hand skillfully brushed Naeun’s silky black hair. It didn’t took much effort as her hair was already smooth, just a few strands out of place.

The King grinned, one that Naeun would remember as a match to her future baby brother. “I’m sorry my dear,” He spoke, leaving the dress as he made his way towards his two favorite girls. He took a seat beside Naeun and smiled sheepishly, “Jagiya, you’re right. Naeun really should shower first.” He teased.

His wife’s eyes narrowed, “Don’t !” She said as her hand lightly slapped the King’s shoulder. Naeun laughed, this side of her parents was never known to the outside world. Being a princess was definitely special, but being the daughter of Son Changwoon and Im Soorim was what she was grateful for the most.

To the outside world, her parents are these two royalties that had poker faces that matched each other. It was always important to keep their feelings in check and gain control whenever they were meeting the world. They should never know how their leaders truly feel, or else it would be a sign of weakness, a nuisance.

But to her, there was no need for a mask. They did not need to veil their real selves as she was their sole and blood. Their daughter. If it mattered, Naeun thought that she was the one who always held back from being lively, or perhaps, she wasn’t covering anything, that was just her true self. The head of the Kingdom Hearts, her parents, they were of course, not without responsibility and integrity. The bold and serious personality of a leader had been encrusted in their minds ever since they were small. They were one of those who had been trained from small, and they were to do the same for generations to come.

Starting from Naeun.

“I was kidding, jagiya.” The king reasoned, “You’re over acting,”

“It’s not even funny, right Naeun?” Her mother asked, placing the last bit of strands of hair in place. It always amazed Naeun how her mother had kept her appearances looking good. This one thing was also important to a lady of a kingdom. While men were credited for their leadership, the people looked for a role model who was both beautiful in and out. Her mother definitely mastered the latter. Naeun did not know how everyone felt about her mother, but she adored her mother for both of the criteria.

Her mother was truly a role model. The role model.

“Ah? A…Aniya. It’s…Not funny?” Naeun answered, hoping her words would not hurt either one of her parents. Truthfully, even the girl herself was confused. Who did her answer favored to? She had no clue.

“Stuttering again? We should have that fix soon.” The Queen said, her warm eyes started to look a tad serious.

The king turned his head to his daughter, ignoring his wife, “You are going to wear that dress this evening, we are having a coronation ceremony.” He stated, a smile lit upon his face, “And I want you to be the most beautiful girl out there tonight. It’s an important day for you, my dear. You do know what that means, right?”

“Iye,” She paused, taking a few seconds to form her answer smoothly. She did not want to disappoint her mother again, “I do remember father, it’s the coronation for the Crown Princess.”

“Which is you!”

“Yeobo, stop being so childish!” The older woman warned, “You’re a king, do act like one.”

“Aish, we can joke around once in a while. No one knows, don’t be so serious.”

The queen shook her head, “My husband,” She murmured.

“I heard that.” The king narrowed his eyes. The girl who was stuck in the middle let out a tiny giggle, which ultimately stopped from what would have been a……Childish fight between the two royalties.

“Ahrasseo. You should go and get ready. We’ll have a rehearsal after breakfast.”

The queen nodded, “Your father’s right. I’ll ask maid to bring the dress to your room. She’ll help you with it.”

“My maid ommonim?” Naeun questioned. “I think Eunji-unnie cannot carry that dress, it’s so big.”

“Eunji?” The king asked.

“Hyerim, Jung Hyerim. Her personal maid yeobo-ah. How can you forget?”

“Oh, her,” The man said, his eyes widen as he realized who the girl mentioned was, “No, no, no. Of course not. I’ll ask another maid to bring it down.”

“Or her teacher perhaps?” The lady suggested, “Ms Seo could easily help Naeun into her dress.”

“But there are no classes today,” Naeun stated.

“Cheongmal? Maid it is then.” Her father decided firmly. “Off you go. Your mother and I will see you at breakfast.”

Naeun nodded and gave her parents a nervous smile, she then walked out of the room and set her path to her bedroom.

“Naeun-yang!” A voice called from behind. Naeun turned her heels around and she was greeted by a relief smile, “I am sorry for being late princess. I swear I went to your room at dawn but you were not there,”

“It’s fine, Eunji-eonnie.” The younger of the two said, “Father and Mother called me to their room. The matter is not over; I’ll see them at breakfast.”

The young maid blinked, “Ah, I see. Let’s get ready then, shall we?” She chirped.

“Deh.” Naeun answered, and the two girls made their way to her bedroom.

She indeed had breakfast with her parents. She did practice for her coronation and by night, she regained the title Crown Princess Son Naeun. The girl was to be the next in line for the throne. Many had thought that her future was sealed; she was schedule to take on the throne the moment her father stepped down.

She was crowned in that velvet dress, the one which she had loved so much, even until now. But she was no longer the one wearing it. Truthfully, she had outgrown the dress a few years back. The dress that she was seeing, though surprisingly similar in details, was definitely not the same dress she wore years ago.

“Running? Seriously Naeun, as a princess I thought you knew better.” The lady in red, Princess Go Woori spoke.

“Woori noona,” Jaewoo muttered.

“Eonnie,”

“Look at you two!” The oldest snapped, “All sweaty and dirty, just, yuck. Ugh.”

“Is there a need for you being here eonnie?” Naeun asked, taking her hands off her the prince's shoulders.

“Please, I have no intention to be here what so ever,”

“Then why are you here noona?” Jaewoon questioned, cocking his head to the side.

Her fan snapped so loud it almost broke.Woori pursed her lips tightly, “Why you little-”

The Crown Princess interrupted, “Enough, Eonni. I trust you did not come here willingly. Is it about the ceremony? We will be there in 10 minutes.” Naeun said calmly.

Woori eyed her step-sister with annoyance and hate. She turned around and stepped out of the room.

“Should we go now noona?” Jaewoo asked.

Naeun bent down to his level, “Why don’t you go to your room first? The maids will continue fixing you up,”

“But I already look good, don’t I Noona?”

“You do Jaewoo-ah. But this is a special ceremony, and you know that we must look our best, right?”

“Yes noona,” The boy sighed.

“Then go to your room, okay? We’ll see each other later.” She smiled reassuringly.


“Why do you need to see me, Step-mother?”

The Queen turned, she eyed Naeun for a moment before taking a seat on one of the couches, “Come, sit.” She ordered.

Naeun’s mother, the former queen used to say the exact same thing to her. But somehow, this was different. There was no warmness in her voice, just strain and……Fake. Nevertheless, the princess followed suit, the Queen was in a good mood, there was no need to ruin it.

“I thank you my dear for stepping down.” The older lady started, “It was very wise of you to do so.”

“Not without your proposal, of course.”

The Queen smiled, “I’ll have none of that. It was your decision, and must I say, I’ve never been so proud of you.”

Proud of me? You would not even like me.

“Thank you.” Naeun answered shortly.

Shinyoung reached for a cup of tea. She took a sip with her legs crossed and continued, “As you, and all of Hearts already know, my daughter Woori is now Crown Princess, thanks to you, of course.”

Naeun remained silent.

“So you see, you along with that brother of yours no longer have any ties to the royal family.”

“That is not true,”

“Are you really sure about that?” The Queen questioned, “Let us have our memories freshen up, shall we? I am the Queen, and my daughter Woori is now Crown Princess. Where do you and your brother fit in?”

Naeun’s hands clenched into a small fist, but she was careful not to let her step-mother see it, “We still have our titles, Jaewoo is still the only male heir to the throne.” She argued.

Shinyoung looked at Naeun as she spoke, her face was motionless as ever, “You are right, aren’t you? I’m afraid I’ve miscalculated that. Jaewoo is the only male heir.”

“Correct.”

“Then where do you fit in? Surely, my daughter is more important, now that she is the Crown Princess.”

The young girl fell into a shock. The woman in front of her was unbelievable, how could she do this? “Kajima, don’t…Don’t do it.”

“Don’t do what?” She hissed.

“Don’t, please. I beg you step-mother. Don’t do it, Jaewoo still needs me!”

The Queen's right hand went up and held her face, a smirk appeared on it, “I am not that heartless. You must know, since the first day I stepped into this place, the only one who I hated was you and only you. Your brother does annoy me, and he is a threat to me, but not as much as you are.”

“You wanted the title? I gave it to you! What I want now is to be with my little brother. Don’t do this, please. He deserves better.” She begged.

“That is why I called you. I may hate you, but you are right, that boy is pity in disguise. Losing a mother at infancy, and having his unstable father fell for death soon after, what a pity boy.” She spoke, almost in a sarcastic tone.

“So, I was thinking......I’ll give your dear brother everything he needs. I’ll train him as a real prince and he will have respect with him. He may not be the successor to Hearts, but I am ready to open the best path available for him in the future, under one condition,”


Her breathing became heavy. She no longer felt any pain though she knew she was indeed in one. Her vision was hazy, all she could see was darkness.

“Agasshi, we’ve found you.” A voice taunted between the ruffling sounds of the leaves. Naeun smirked in her head, she was teasing herself.

I thought you would have survived longer, Naeun-ah.

“Hyung-nim, is she dead or something?” Another voice, slightly raspy asked.

“She’s not you idiot!”

“But all those wounds! And her eyes are not even open,”

“Who cares? It’ll be easier anyway, we don’t have to do so much dirty job.”

“Good point,” The second voice laughed.

The older man let out a lustful smile, “Naeun-agasshi, I don’t know if you can hear me or not, but if you can,” He stepped closer to the petite body, “Forgive us, it’s our job.”

“And, we pretty much had no choice,” The younger interrupted.

“We promise it’ll be quick though,” He said to the girl. She could feel them inching closer and closer, but she did not have any strength to run anymore. She was doomed from the start, running away from them now seemed like such a foolish idea.

Because either way, she was going to die.

The girl gave up; she had now accepted her fate and was now waiting for everything to end. She felt a cold metal, a knife cutting through her flesh. Maybe it was the two men, perhaps her clouded mind got better of her illusion. She couldn’t distinguish any of them anymore, everything was too painful.

“Naeun-yang!” Naeun knew that voice all too well, it was Eunji. Her loyal maid and best friend. One that she would soon leave behind.  And at the very moment she heard her voice, Neun felt something roughly ripped from her. She no longer felt the heaviness of the two men, but her pain worsen. It was a roller coaster. One moment she was numb, and the next she was scorching in pain.

“You’re bleeding Naeun-yang! L-goon chaebal! Help her!” Her maid shouted, desperateness filled her broken voice.

L-goon?

In spite of her lack of conscious, Naeun could still hear a commotion going on nearby. She heard the sound of coughing, and definitely punching.

What’s going on? Eunji-eonni, won’t you tell me?

Before her mind could register, her body was suddenly lifted. She felt so airy, so light. “Go to my house, quick!” Eunji shouted from behind. Naeun now knew what was going on. She was being carried by this anonymous knight, and she let him be. She wasn’t usually vey trusting, but what more could she do now? Her world became darker and darker by the second, and soon, she would lose even that tiny bit of conscious that she had tightly held onto.

“Stay with me, my princess.” The lad whispered.

And that was the last thing she heard.

_______________________________________________________________________________

(A/N).

-Wipe sweats- My ultimate goal for this chapter is for L to show up at the end, which surprisingly took me 3000+ words, hahaha. I don't promise the rest of the chapters will be this long, considering I took quite a few days to write this chapter alone. But I will do my best (or something closer to it, lol). So, how was it? Do tell me your opinion. Comment and Suscribe please, you don't need to upvote, because I know my writing is not that worthy. But if you still want too... Teehee :D

P.S: Oh, and was reading this confusing? I'll explain it: The chapter opens in present time, Naeun and Jaewoo's chasing and running is a flashback. The one with Naeun and her parents is a flashback of her younger years (a flashback in a flashback then?) Then Woori's appearance is in the same timeline as Naeun and Jaewoo's chasing/running as well as the scene where Naeun meets her step-mother. The final scene is a continuation of the opening scene. Got it? Or is this more confusing? LOL.

( h a r l e q u i n. )