Fateful Coincidence

Fateful Coincidence

My name is Ji Eun. I am a second year student in my high school. I describe myself as an average girl like most people are.  Currently single. I have a boyfriend a few years back, but the relationship between us were already over. And right now my ‘ex’ already got a new replacement.

 

Hmphh… Talk about liking me like he was going to die if I left him.

 

But who cares? I’m so much happier this way.

 

….At least that what I think.

 

Right now, I was in a middle of my class, glancing to the wall clock hanging just above the blackboard thinking when my teacher ever going to stop. I tilted my head to a side, one hand supporting my chin, try to look interested to what Ms Kwon was saying. 15 minutes more before the class end.

 

I let out a sigh.

 

Suddenly….

 

“Song Ji Eun-ssi!”

 

My name was being called out. I startled and dropped my pen while focusing to in front of the class but still answered her call nevertheless “D-de Sunsang-nim?”

 

Instead of replying to my answer, the teacher called another name.

 

“Jung Hana-ssi”

 

My best friend. Looks like she being called too. I had been friends with her since kindergarten. A gorgeous girl that always be with me and supports me if anything arises. I saw her standing up at her place. She gave a quick glance to me, questioning a reason. I just replied her with raising eyebrows.

 

“Both of you. I want these books and items to be on my table before leaving the school ground.”

 

I slumped my shoulder downwards. Just great. Why does it need to be today when I would be busy with the club activities? I sighed inwardly. “Dde, arasso…”

 

It was 5pm when I finished my club activities. Most of the students were already went home leaving the school corridor almost empty.  Hana already went back because she need to go to her part time work today leaving me by myself to return this books. I slung my bag onto my shoulders, and went to the teacher’s desk to picked up the books.

 

The ray of light shone through the glass window pestering my shadows on the wall as if there was another person accompanying me in this deserted hallway. I fasten my pace. This shadow was so much longer than my height indicated that it almost dusk, and I am really late.

 

I better send these book quick!

 

I halted in my tracks as I reached the top of the stairs. To be descending the stairs with a condition like this was really not my favor. Especially when my eyes were blocked and I was not in a stable condition. At this time, I really hope that the teachers’ room was on the same level so I don’t have to bother myself using the staircase.

 

I took a step down the stairs, leaning to the wall behind me to make extra support…

.

Safe.

 

That was a good start. Not as difficult as I thought it would be. Feeling much confidence, I walked down, one step at a time. Reaching the fourth step, I finally lose my balance….

 

Woah!

 

The books which once in my care were now scattered and slid down the stairs where most of them already reached the bottom. I held my breath. Thankfully for me since I managed to be able to stabilized myself or else, my fate was the same as the books.

 

Or maybe worst.

 

 “Ahh…. This is so lame.” I whimpered in frustration. “THIS is one of the reasons I don’t prefer to held back at school alone... “ I descended the stairs while bending down to pick up the books, “…How I wish that this time there is a nice person that willing to help me out so I can go home a bit early. Oh my knight in shining armor~…” My rambling went on and on as I picked up the books. My thought was totally engrossed of picking the books and my never-ending rambling which made me unaware of around me. But then, I snapped back to reality when I saw a pair of feet stopped just in front of my face and a big hand lowered to pick up a book that I was about to collect.

 

Slowly I traced my gaze upward to see the feet owner. Seeing a boy whom now standing in front of me, I hastily jolted to upward position.

 

“It’s you!” I half shouted to the boy. He gave me a questioning look. Maybe a bit shocked too.

 

I clasped both of my hands to my mouth, regretting the sudden accused. Realizing that he got some of my books in his arms, unconsciously and nervously my hand rose to tucked my strand hair to the back of my ear, eyes looking down.

 

“I heard noises…” His deep, hoarse voice made me flinched.

 

“Ahh.. dde… Sorry to cause a commotion. I thought I was alone.” My pulse was racing. I felt nervous out of a sudden. What was this person doing at this hour? Did he heard my rambling? What really was happening to me? Gulping my saliva down my throat, I, then, looked up, “Thanks for picking them up. Could I have the books back?” I extend my hand with opened palm.

 

“Are that the books that you need to bring?”

 

He avoided my request. Let alone my extending hand that was hoping he would returned the book that he picked up. His gaze was fixated on a pile of books that I stacked near the wall. Without waiting for my answer, the boy walked past me and bend down to pick up the pile. Was he going to bring all of that? I knew that I did wished for someone that could help me just now, but never thought he was the one that will come. His mere presence made me scared.

 

“Where should I bring these?”

 

“Umm…. You don’t have to act like this. It’s okay. I can manage this. It’s my job anyway.”

 

“Where should I bring these actually?” His voice sound demanding right now. I swallowed my whimper down my throat.

 

“T-to the teachers’ room”

 

He walked a step in front of me while I followed him behind. It would be rude if I just let him send the books by himself when it was supposed to be my job. However, I really don’t like this awkward situation I was in right now. The silence started deafening my ears.

 

Talk. I need to ask question! But what should I ask?? This kind of silence is really is frustrating!

 

I raised my head, took a peek of the back of this boy in front of me. I never thought we were in a same school. I had met him before. A few days ago. At one alley behind a convenience store that I always go. That time, it seemed that a very intense fight just occurred. This guy was still holding a half beaten boy whom spilled some blood the lips. Then the beaten boy was tossed to the tarred path like a garbage by this guy. I never knew what had happened, but it must be serious. I shivered. Just remembering that situation gave me creeps. That time this guy was like a starved lion trying to find his prey. And right now I was alone with him in this deserted corridor.

 

I want to go home~!

 

Out of a sudden my nose had  direct contact with a hard back. “Ouch! What the-…!” I was a verge to protest for his sudden stop but I stopped myself midway. “Owh, we’re already here.”

 

He shot a look at me but I gave him a confused face.

 

“Open the door. My hands is full right now.”

 

It was the demanding voice again. “Ah.. Dde. Hold on…”

 

We went in the room to see Ms Kwon was still doing his work at her work desk. She thanked both of us for bringing the books and we went outside. Closing the door behind me, I cleared my throat and face him.

 

“Kamsa hamnida. I need to go home now. Anneyong!” I dashed away before he able to say anything.

 

Never thought that I would regret about it later.

 

 I had a sudden urge to go near the class window when I heard some faint voices from outside. I squinted my eyes. There I saw him again. The mysterious boy that had been in my mind after that staircase incident. I stood near the window fixing my gaze to the boy while my hand unconsciously placed on the cold glass.

 

Who are you, really? Why do I feel like I am enchanted to you?’ I sighed inwardly.

 

I was supposed to be scared of him because of the incident that I saw at the back alley. Because of that incident, my perception had changed. And right now I felt that I want to know better about him. Deep down in my heart, I secretly hoped that the back alley incident is just my misunderstanding.

 

A sudden tap on my shoulder brought me back to earth. I turned around. There was Hana, holding a box of strawberry juice in her hand.

 

“You want some?” She offered the juice which I gladly accept and took a sip. With both hand clasped behind her back, she leaned her body closer to the window. “ What were you doing just now? Ah…. You watched the boys right?”

 

“Ya… sort of like that.” I gave the juice back to her. “Do you know them?”

 

“Wae? Do you like someone among them?” Hana winked teasingly. I could feel my face warm. She faced the boys direction again. “I don’t know much about them, but at least I know their name. They’re quite famous in this school too.”

 

I felt my eyes to pop out when I heard it “Jjinja? Why didn’t I know about that? Why are they famous?”

 

“Don’t you think they sort of have a cool guy aura among them?”

 

“Yup… sort of…” Then something struck to me. “Hana-yah” I held both of her shoulders. She looked shocked with my action, but her eyes soften a second after. I gave a pleading look and pointed to one of the boys under the tree. “Since you do know them…. That boy. The boy who sits at the edge of the bench. Who is he?”

 

I could see my best friend gave a puzzled look with my behavior. “That guy? He’s Bang Yong Guk. He’s the same age with us. His class is just above us.”

 

I fixated my eyes to the boy again. Seeing no reply from me, Hana tapped my shoulder again.

 

“Do you like him?”

 

I just raised my shoulders. Do I really like him?

One more step and I would ended in this boy arms. It probably would be nice if I did, but my pair of feet managed to make an emergency brake before it would happen. And Yongguk managed to stop himself from colliding me also.

 

“Ah… Gomawoyo…” I bowed my head a little. Hearing no response from him, I raised my head and stared into his eyes. “Umm… Thank you again for helping me last time. I really appreciate it very much.”

 

He smiled. Omo! I could see his gum. That’s kind of cute.

 

“It’s nothing. You did asking if there anyone that could help you with that also”

 

This time, I blushed. Never thought he still remember me and my rumbling. Aiguu…

 

He was at urge to say something more when there was an arm slung over his shoulder.

 

“Yo, Yongguk, let’s go buy some lunch.” A mischievous looking boy interrupted our conversation that was just started. Such a disturbance…

 

Wait… what was his name again?

 

Oh yes. Kim Him Chan.

 

Yongguk turned to face me again. I could almost see his face changed. Maybe it was just me, but he seemed feeling apologetic and wanted to talk to me about something. But his words being cut off by Himchan again.

 

“Who’s this girl?”Both eyes stared at me.

 

Instead of Himchan’s, I stared into Yongguk’s eyes. “I’m Jieun. Song Jieun.” I gave a soft smile. “You better go to the café quick before the meal finished. Anneyong, Yongguk-ssi” I bowed my head a bit to both of them and walk away.

 

Well done, Jieun. Although being interrupted, at least you know that he knows your name now,’ I whispered to myself, with a curved up lips.   


 

Outside, the sky was dark. The rain already poured down about half an hour ago when I was still struggling to finish the club activities. I closed the zip on my bag and slung onto my shoulder. Taking a deep breath, I tried to console myself.

 

I had not seen Yongguk for the whole day today! This was the first time after the incident.

 

Did he come to school today? Was he sick?

 

I strolled along the quiet hallway. It seemed like I was the only one in the school right now. Turned left, I stopped myself at the staircase for a while before went down. It might be just a coincidence, however, since that day, I had become a person who could spot him in a crowded room. And somehow my feeling felt complete the minute I manage to take a sight of him.

 

I wonder if he did see me whenever if saw him…

 

Sometimes, I would even made an excuse to walk in front of his classroom just to take a glimpse of him if I hadn’t seen him anywhere.

 

This was definitely not stalking. I was just observing from afar.

 

And this kind of observing gave me credits too. Like Hana said before, he really  gave a cool type aura – the namja effect – especially when he was with his group of friends. With neatly trimmed hair, just like a person whom entered the national army, he really was a definition of a handsome guy. When he was in a focus mode, he had a fierce face, but when he smiled, he was so cute like a kitty! He also don’t talk too much.

 

He is soooo my type. A feature of manly-handsome-mysterious man.

 

Am I crazy? But I starting to like him now.

 

Seeing him was just like a new routine for me now.  I don’t feel at ease if I couldn’t meet him at least once for a day. The feeling was like I was feeling right now. Frustrated and empty.

 

I really want to be friends with him, at least. How nice if he really do notice my existence around him. To have him acknowledge me and say my name. Chatting openly like how I saw him treat his fellow friends.

 

I let out a heavy sigh…

 

It was still raining outside. Staring out to the path in front of me, I couldn’t help but to wonder what if still at school right now. Would he become a gentleman and a romantic guy if he saw me without an umbrella? It could be nice if he offered to share the umbrella. Then we could happily walk under the same shelter to our home….

 

Scratch that. This wishful thinking of mine would never happen. I knew he already acknowledge my presence now, but to act sort of like that would take so much miracle to happen.

 

Especially when this guy was a kind of shy-type!

 

Inhaling a deep breath, I opened my red umbrella and holding it over my head.  I better reached home quick. As some says, ‘the best way to deal with bothersome thing is sleep. This could help  you to ignore it when you were exhausted.’

 

It may because of the weather, but it was waaayyy to bothersome right now.

 

And that because my head was filled with his image. Arrgghh!

 

 

The distance between my house and the school was not that far. It only took around 20-30 minutes of walking. The inviting sweet smell coming from the bakery intrigued my senses. It must be great to have a warm pastry with a cup of hot choco at a time like this. Just thinking about it was so mouth watering.

 

‘A quick stop never hurt, wouldn’t it?’

 

And so, I decided to get into the bakery…

 

I was about to took my umbrella that I put in the umbrella holder when I saw a guy standing not too far from the bakery’s door looking up into the gray sky. He was wearing a dark blue sweater and a cap that hid about half of his face. For some reason, this guy looked awfully familiar.

 

I stood there watching the guy while trying to figured out. At the time I was about to give up, the guy turned.

 

Bang Yongguk?!

 

And it seemed that he noticed me standing here too. I didn’t know the reason why, but I do feel my feet glued to the floor. Not like I was going somewhere when he walked towards me.

 

He stopped himself one step before me. “Jieun?”

 

“Anneyong Yongguk-ssi” I gave a smile. “You looked troubled. What’s wrong?”

 

“It’s raining. I didn’t bring any umbrella with me. And that store already out of stock.” He looked towards the sky again. “ I was thinking of getting wet”

 

“Where do you live?”

 

“I need to take the train. It a station apart from here” He explained.

 

“You can use my umbrella then”

 

Suddenly he looked troubled. Again. I did know that kind of feeling. The feeling of don’t want to burden anybody. “How about you then?”

 

“My house is near. Looks like you have to walk me home first then.” I winked to him “If you don’t mind?”

 

He showed the troubled face again. I held back my chuckle and picked up my umbrella, and handed to him. He stared into my eyes.

 

“Don’t get the wrong idea. You’re the taller one here. So naturally, you’re the one who should held the umbrella, right?”

 

At last, his face soften and gladly took the umbrella off my hand. And we stepped into the rain under the same red umbrella.

 

I regarded this umbrella as not too big but not too small. However, sharing an umbrella with Yongguk was a different issue. It was kind of difficult to move without bumping into each other and getting either of us sprayed by the rain in the same time. I couldn’t help to blush every time I felt his body heat as we bumped.

 

I was a few meters more before we reached my house when I accidentally stepped on a puddle of water and slipped. That time, I closed my eyes tightly and got ready to face the impact, praying in the same time that it won’t hurt so much.

 

But all I felt was a pair of strong arm snaking around my waist and a frantic deep voice. “Woah!”

 

And also the cold rain that dropped onto my face.

 

I slowly opened my eyes to meet his eyes. Our face was so close that I could see his pupil widening (and his hot breath too!) His deep gaze sending shiver all over my body and I could feel my stomach tied in a knot. Yongguk pulled me up and helped me steadied on my feet.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

And I just answered with a simple nod.

 

Thankfully it was still raining, or else he would hear my thumping heart whom about to burst from my chest.

 

 Reaching my doorstep, I turned myself to face him.

 

“Do you want to come inside for awhile? I could make some hot tea to warm us up. And as a thank you about before…” I paused. “My parents will come back a little late today, so maybe you can keep me some company and we can have a little talk too.”

 

Please do say yes. This was such a good opportunity for us to get closer.

 

Instead of answers, I could see his lips twitched and smirked at me. “Are you that innocent?”

 

Huh?’ I tilted my head to a side and gave a puzzled look.

 

He then took a step forward, closing the gap between us. “Are you sure Jieun?”

 

This was odd… “Why not?”

 

He lifted his hand to caressed my cold cheek.“Because I am not very sure myself if I can contain myself  when you seduce me with clothes like that, in an empty house.”

 

I looked up, staring him in the eyes. Yongguk was grinning like idiot right now.

 

It took some seconds for me to realized what he was talking about. I looked down upon myself. The white uniform that I was wearing was damp and clingy to my body like a second skin. Even I could easily see the color of my skin and my purple bra strap. Hastily I covered my front body with my bag.

 

“Andwee!!”

 

I felt my face warm. It probably red right now.

 

I heard him chuckled. His back was facing me right now. “Maybe you can consider it as a gentle warning?”  He said it over his shoulder. “Thanks for the offer. I going to borrow your umbrella for today. Anneyong”

 

My gaze followed him until his body disappeared from my sight. I went into my house and slumped on the floor as I closed the door behind me.

 

He definitely not a good boy. Neither he was a bad boy. I didn’t even know where to classify him as. But right now, I think I was fallen for him.

 

 

-End-

 

Hi my dear readers! How was the story this time? This was my first attempt of writing such a full-fic from one person point of view. For me, I found it quite hard to express the feeling. I couldn’t take out the fluffiness enough.

But that’s way my point of view. I would like to know your thoughts too. Please do review me. A simple ‘Love it’ or ‘Hate it’ will do.

Till then, Anneyong~