Let It Go - Idina Menzel

Musically Inclined

It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No line, no road, no rules for me
I'm free

Jonghyun couldn't help but smile as he watched Elsa run up her staircase made of ice. Now that was someone who didn't give a single what people think, he thought to himself as he read the Korean subtitles on the movie.

A sudden weight on his shoulder, however, has him looking over at his boyfriend, whose head was resting on his shoulder. "I wish there was a Korean version to this," Taemin sighed, turning his head slightly to get more comfortable.

"They're working on a dub, you know," Jonghyun replied.

"Yeah, but dubs . You'd know all about that, dork," Taemin retorted, digging his fingers into his the older's side and earning a few giggles--that was Jonghyun's ticklish spot, and they both knew it.

"Yes, yes, I'm an anime nerd, I know," Jonghyun pouted. "Are you going to watch the movie or not? This song is pure gold, I can't believe you're missing it."

"I know it's good, I'm listening! I just wish I could understand it."

"You know, for someone who idolizes Beyonce, you sure are picky about foreign songs."

"Beyonce is different. Beyonce is always different. Beyonce is her own class of fabulous. You know this, Jonghyun."

"Yes, yes, we all know about your crush on Beyonce."

"You have a crush on her too, Jjong."

"I'm gay, Tae."

"So am I, but everybody's in love with Beyonce."

"....."

"I win."

"Just watch the damn movie."

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Later, after Taemin had fallen asleep (during the movie, no less) and Jonghyun had carried him to bed (after the movie was over, of course), Jonghyun sat down at his desk and opened his laptop, quickly messaging Kibum and googling the Korean translation of the lyrics to the now-famous song.

puppyxjjong90: hey bum i need your help

It wasn't until Jonghyun had found a quality translation (on the fourth link, dammit) that Kibum replied.

bumbumki: oh god whatd you do this time

puppyxjjong90: nothing! i think.

puppyxjjong90: im translating a song and doing a cover for tae. i need your help with the lyrics

bumbumki: why not ask minho? he's the better songwriter

puppyxjjong90: the song's in english

bumbumki: there's plenty of quality english-korean translators out there

puppyxjjong90: it's let it go from frozen

bumbumki: jesus christ why didn't you say so sooner

bumbumki: of course i'll help. lord knows that boy needs some real artistic exposure

puppyxjjong90: im gonna pretend that wasnt an insult

bumbumki: lemme know how that works out for ya

puppyxjjong90: at least i can use a hashtag properly

bumbumki: it's an artistic decision!

puppyxjjong90: totally artistic# # of you

bumbumki: do you want my help or not dickface

puppyxjjong90: fine fine i'll shut up. what does 'storm' mean?

Finally, after hours--no literally, hours--of bickering with Kibum over instant messaging and once face-to-face through the app's webcam feature (Jonghyun wanted to try out the rhythm--let's just say it was a bad idea, as dealing with Kibum face-to-face is a lot harder than dealing with him through messages), Jonghyun was setting up his recording equipment in the guest bathroom--AKA the room farthest from where Taemin was still sleeping. He hadn't checked his watch since the movie ended, nor did he want to. Kibum had said he was going to bed once Jonghyun finished the song, but the older man was just getting started.

It took him five tries to get the song just right--as usual, he kept editing and crossing things out, being sure to reference his notes from the argument discussion with Kibum to make sure he didn't erase anything important to the song. (It didn't help that he had to work from the edge of the bathtub, either). 

Finally, though, just as he could see the orange-tinted light of the sun beginning to glow through the window, he finished, saving the song to his iTunes and leaning his guitar against the tile wall before stretching his arms over his head. He didn't check the time when he climbed off the bathtub onto the fuzzy green mat, nor did he check it when he curled up on his side and closed his eyes, planning to get at least a few minutes of rest before Taemin woke up.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

"Jonghyun?" Taemin called as he wandered through the apartment. He was starting to get worried--he had just woke up and his boyfriend had somehow managed to get lost during the night. Finally, unable to take it anymore, Taemin dialed the number of his boyfriend's best friend, biting his lip as he waited for the other to pick up.

"Kibum!" He said as the line picked up. "I can't find Jonghyun, and I was wondering if you-"

"Your idiot of a boyfriend is probably asleep in the guest bathroom," the obviously annoyed blond's voice came through the phone before the line cut off, signaling that the diva had hung up. Taemin blinked at the phone, not really sure of anything anymore as he walked to the back of the apartment and into the guest bathroom.

"Holy ," he whispered, his eyes widening at the sight of his boyfriend curled up on the floor like a cat, surrounded by his recording equipment. "What the hell...?" He muttered, taking special care not to step on Jonghyun's fingers as he made his way to the sink, where the older's laptop was still open and running. Taemin woke the screen up with a few taps of the spacebar, and his eyebrows furrowed as he noticed it open to a new playlist in iTunes that only had one song in it.

The playlist was untitled, but the song said "frozen for my love <3<3<3" so Taemin knew it was his boyfriend's work. He rolled his eyes as he clicked play, sitting down on the toilet seat when he saw the song was almost four minutes long.

His boyfriend's clear voice rang through the bathroom, and Taemin immediately recognized the sound of the English words in the song from the movie. He thought at first that Jonghyun had just covered the song, but his eyes widened almost comically when the music went on and the lyrics became Korean. Taemin covered his mouth as he slowly realized what Jonghyun had done for him.

This explains why Kibum was so pissy, he suddenly realized. And why he knew where Jjong was. Jonghyun must have contacted Kibum the night before for help on translating the song, since the blonde was essentially the couple's ONLY English-speaking friend.

The bathroom was obvious: Jonghyun hadn't wanted to wake him up. When the door to this bathroom was closed, nothing could be heard even from the other side, and certainly not from the main bedroom on the opposite side of the apartment. 

On the floor, Jonghyun began to stir, rolling onto his back and rubbing his eyes, and Taemin set the laptop back on the vanity so he could kneel on the floor and pull his boyfriend into a sitting position. "Tae, what-" Jonghyun began, but he was cut off as Taemin threw his arms around the older. The brunet smiled and returned the hug, resting his cheek on his boyfriend's shoulder and allowing his eyes to flutter shut as he listened to (and silently critiqued) his own recording continue playing.

"I totally butchered that high note. It's way flat," he whispered.

"You're too hard on yourself. I think it's perfect," Taemin replied with a grin as he allowed the song to loop and play again.

(Needless to say, it wasn't even a day before the song was at the top of Taemin's Most Played list.)


Here we go, finally! I came up with this idea at 3am last night (when I was trying to go to sleep cries) and I finally wrote it down tonight. I managed to put in a lot more parts that are supposed to be funny than I originally meant to, so I hope I made it more interesting OTL.

I actually have a lot of ideas for these, I just never have time to write/post them. But for tonight, I do actually have time to write and post another chap of DwaD, so stay tuned if you're interested in that~

Any and all comments are appreciated, even if I don't reply right away ; u ;

~AA

P.S. here's the movie clip I based the first scene off of, here's demi lovato's version (which I listened to a lot while writing it), and here's Hyorin's version (in Korean). I'll try to post links to all songs I use for these, so that all the artists get proper credit and such~