Memory Lane

This One's For You

- August 1, 2018 -

-- Promotions for the new album end smoothly. With some free time on his hands, Jung Kook goes off to spend some of it alone in the city. It seems like a good idea at first, but he regrets it more and more as the day goes by; with every step comes a different memory. He finally accepts his fate as he allows the memories to flow through; but, instead of letting random scenes control his thoughts, he decides to search for the one that means the most. His destination: Banpo Hangang Park.

- Flashback -

-- They walked together around the park on a cold winter’s night. He was so nervous that he could barely say a word to her. Everything must be timed perfectly.

Girl: Are you okay? You’ve been pretty quiet all night.

JK: I’m fine. We should probably walk a bit faster, though.

Girl: Why, are you in a hurry to get somewhere? You’re not going to meet someone else later, are you?

JK: What? Of course not! I’m just excited to see the bridge is all.

-- She was still suspicious of his actions, but did as she was told. They made it to the bridge just as the moonlight rainbow began its last show for the night. She watched as the water danced and changed colors. He took this opportunity to grab the flowers that he had hidden beforehand under the bench near where they were standing. He stood behind her then reached around to show her the flowers. She accepted them with a big smile. He hugged her from behind. He stood there, holding her tightly and they swayed naturally together as she admired her gift. He moved his head closer to her ear and whispered, for the first time, the words that he came all that way to say to her.

JK: I love you.

- Return -

-- He’s slowly getting used to the sudden rushes of pain. Although he’s breaking down again inside, he manages to control his emotions on the outside. Taehyung sees him sitting on the bench and approaches him.

JK: You don’t have to follow me around. I’m fine.

TH: I didn’t follow you. I just knew you’d be here.

JK: I don’t really want to talk right now, hyung.

TH: You never want to talk. You don’t tell us anything anymore. How are we supposed to help you through this if you don’t let us in?

-- They sit quietly for a bit, both unsure of what to say next.

TH: We’re really worried about you.

JK: I know.

TH: You had us thinking that you were finally okay, but all this stuff with the song makes us think that you were just pretending this whole time.

JK: I wasn’t pretending. I really thought I was okay, too. I could finally close my eyes and not see her face; but now…I just don’t know what to do anymore.

-- The little control he had is lost and he begins to cry. Taehyung puts his arm around Jung Kook’s shoulder. Although he is happy to finally have Jung Kook open up to him, he wishes there was more that he could do.