Lethe

Lethe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Let’s go for a drive.”

“A what?”

“A drive! You know, we get in a car and one of us drives to somewhere and–”

She rolls her eyes. “I know what a drive means, dip. Why are we going for a drive, where are we going and when are we going?”

“Where are we going? Anywhere, really. Anywhere you want… or I want. Don’t worry, you’ll be back home before the sun sets” A beat passes. “And is it safe to say I’ll pick you up in ten or are you going to hurl me out of this universe for not giving you enough time?”

The corners of twitch. “You missed a question. Why are you dragging me out for a drive?”

“Does it really matter?” There is humor in his tone yet she easily sees past that, easily sees the seriousness and the deeper meaning behind his out of the blue plan. “We’ve been so stressed lately and there’s a lot of things to do and damn it, we need a break or else I’m gonna go crazy with all the papers we ha–”

Sooyoung shakes her head and laughs despite herself. “Be here in exactly ten minutes or I’ll change my mind.”

She can almost imagine him narrowing his eyes at her. “Give or take two minutes.”

“A minute.”

“Fine.” The brunette hears the shuffling of keys and the hurried footsteps thudding on the wooden floor. “I’ll see you in nine to eleven minutes.”

Sooyoung smirks as she hears the dial tone, ending the call and stuffing her phone back in the pocket of the brown knitted sweatshirt she’s wearing. In all honestly, she really can use a break right now. There is only so much political science terms and note taking and summarizing she can do.

There aren’t much people in the library at the moment. Many of those who are there are buried in piles of papers and books; their laptops shining bright on their tables. The rest are asleep; their arms folded on the tables and their heads using them as makeshift pillows, taking advantage of the cold air conditioning units and the fact that they can sleep in the library.

Glancing at her watch and noting the time he has left to come get her, Sooyoung hurriedly but properly fixes her things, stuffing her notebook and pens and index cars into her bag. She’s grateful she’s chosen to leave her laptop at home, making it one less possession to fix. Sooyoung shoulders her bag, moving her long, chocolate-colored locks to the side, and pushes her seat back. She gets up, pushes her chair back and place and walks off to meet with him.

What exactly he’s eaten to suggest going on a drive out of the blue but she takes his word for it. It might just be what they need. It nearly surprises her how coincidental it is that she has no more class left for the day… up until she remembers that he knows her schedule. That lucky dolt.

Sooyoung reaches the lobby of the building, sitting herself on a vacant bench before she glances at her watch again. Five minutes. She smirks. It really must be his lucky day. She crosses her long, slim legs before her, plunks her bag on her lap and her lips settle in a thoughtful pout. Where will they go? She’s sure that this ‘brilliant’ plan of his is last minute enough that he hasn’t thought of where they’re going.

Her phone beeps. I’m here.

“He’s early.” She’s amused. Where exactly is here?

Really, there’s a lot of places that can be ‘here’ – in a classroom, on a rooftop, on a street, in a cafeteria.

Back parking.

She gets up, walks out the door of the building and turns left once she reaches the stone path. There are only two parking lots in the vicinity anyway; one in the front of the building and one at the back. Her strides are long and quick yet she slows down soon enough as soon as she catches sight of all cars parked. She whips out her phone again.

What car are you using?

The reply is quick. The Lexus.

You , I can see three Lexus cars in the parking lot.

Sooyoung does not get a reply. Instead the door of one of the parked Lexus opens and Kris’s head pops out; a grin on his face as he reaches a hand out to wave. She rolls her eyes yet hurries anyway, making her way to him and his car.

“Where are we going?”

He arches an eyebrow; a look of mock hurt on his face. “No hello?”

“Answer my question and you’ll get your hello.”

“With all the honesty I can answer, I really don’t know where we’ll go.” K

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter