First Day

Runaway Daughter

The next morning as Seul Mi was walking towards the building, she thought if Min Young got the job. She forgot that Min Young had said for them to meet after the interview. Then again she was late yesterday and Min Young must have gone home after waiting. She would find out if Min Young got the job whilst she’s actually in the building.

 

She took a deep breath before entering the lobby. She walked over to the reception desk and walked around to sit on the chair. She got ready to start work. The temp receptionist from yesterday told her everything about the daily work, what has to be done and what you have to do. The phone rang next to her. She looked at the time. Her working hours has just started.

 

“Hello, Kim Asia Enterprise, how may I help you?” she put on a cheery voice.

 

“Can I speak to Han Seul Mi please?” the caller asked.

 

Seul Mi jerked back on her chair. This person knew her? And it was a guy? Hold on, she thought back to the voice. It sounded familiar. “Hyun Joong? she cried out.

 

“The one and only,” he said in a sing-song tone.

 

“Why are you calling me?” she asked calming her nerves down.

 

“Just to see if you talk politely on the phone,” he answered.

 

“Where are you?” she quickly scanned the lobby. She couldn’t see him.

 

“Look behind you?” he said. She whirled around with her chair to face him. “Hi,” he waved at her.  She caught her breath. He looked drop dead gorgeous with his navy blue suit. His hair was parted at the side and wavy. And his smile just made her heart melt.

 

“Hi,” she greeted back. She was feeling hot all of a sudden. Both of them were smiling at each other. “Do you check up on every receptionist of yours?” she teased.

 

“No, just one particular one,” he replied, laughter could be heard in his voice.

 

“Don’t you have work to do?” she quickly questioned him when she saw that workers that just entered glancing at them every five seconds.

 

He looked down on his expensive Rolex. “Yes, I do,” he said. “I’ll see you later.”

 

He turned to leave. “Wait,” she called out. He faced her once again raising an eyebrow questioningly. “Did a Park Min Young get the job?” she asked.

 

He narrowed his eyes in confusion. “Oh,” he said when he remembered the girl who looked like her. “Yes. She’s working as my secretary.”

 

“Okay,” she turned to get back to work.

 

He shook his head. She was one minute flirting with him and the next she shows she wants to get rid of him. He found her strange. He went back up to his office. On his way he saw Min Young already seated at her desk outside his office. She was getting ready to start work.

 

“Good morning, sir,” she sang out flashing a wide grin.

 

“Morning to you too,” he said working straight past her.

 

He got to his desk and took off his suit jacket hanging it up on the hook. He sat on his chair and then pressed the intercom for Min Young. One minute later Min Young was tapping lightly on the door.

 

“Come in,” he directed. The timid Min Young walked in slowly and stood in front of him. “Is Min Ho in yet?”

 

“No, sir,” she replied.

 

“When he turns up tell him to come straight to see me,” he informed her. She nodded. “Get the Shinwha file for me and something hot to drink,” he dismissed her. She was just about to go through the door when he called her back. “How do you know a Miss Han Seul Mi?”

 

Min Young was taken aback. She didn’t see that coming. “We met yesterday,” she answered. “We were both looking for a job.”

 

“Okay,” he waved her to go. He only asked her because his curiosity got the better of him.

 

He got back to work when she handed him the Shinwha file and his tea. Shinwha Min Hyuk was a hard man to bargain with. When he went to Korea two weeks ago he couldn’t even get an appointment. Rumors had it that his daughter ran away. He never saw Min Hyuk’s daughter. She wasn’t even on any magazines or newspapers.

 

He wandered what happened. He heard that she was a pampered spoilt rich kid. So why would she leave all her fathers wealth? That got him thinking.

 

---------------

 

Seul Mi was having a great time working as the receptionist. She had many people talking to her and some flirting with her. She was nervous at first when she came in but the small talk with Hyun Joong drained all the nervousness out. He was a great guy, she had to admit that. One thing was that she wanted to know about him trying to buy Shinwha Enterprise. She had to know what was going on.

 

“Seul Mi!” a voice called from behind her. She turned around to be face to face with Min Young. “Oh my God! You got the job too!” she squealed.

 

Seul Mi stood up. Min Young hugged her taking her by surprise. “Errr… Hyun Joong told me you got the job too,” Seul Mi said as she gently pulled back. She wasn’t used to this.

 

“You know him? And you’re in first name basis?” Min Young gasped. She didn’t let Seul Mi answer as she carried on which Seul Mi was relived from. “Did you know he’s so gorgeous? I can drool over him forever!”

 

Seul Mi laughed. “You like him?”

 

“Yeah-uh! He is drop dead gorgeous!” Min Young sighed lost in her dreams. Seul Mi didn’t know if she should tell her about how she knew Hyun Joong. “Do you want to go for lunch?”

 

Seul Mi checked her watch. “Yeah, I got an hour.” She got her bag and jacket. She turned to go but bumped into someone. “Oof!” she cried out.

 

“Sorry,” Hyun Joong quickly apologized. He held her hand to steady her. “You okay?”

 

She nodded. She then looked at Min Young who was already drooling over Hyun Joong and wasn’t noticing him eyeing Seul Mi only. “I’m off to lunch with Min Young,” she said even though she didn’t have to explain to him, as he probably knew.

 

“You could join us if you want,” Min Young blurted out making Seul Mi’s eyes widen.

 

“I would love to,” Hyun Joong took the offer. He then saw Seul Mi’s face. “That is if you don’t mind,” he added. He looked straight into her eyes daring her to object.

 

“No-no,” she rushed on not wanting to give him the satisfaction. “Let’s go,” she walked off first leaving the other two. Hyun Joong was quick to catch up to her pace. Min Young walked alongside him.

 

“Where are we going?”

 

“It’s not an expensive restaurant,” Seul Mi came back with. “It is only a café.” She eyed him suspiciously as why he was keen to join them. She then looked away when she saw Min Young watching her. “If you want to go elsewhere then please do,” she added haughtily.

 

He smiled knowing well that she wouldn’t mind if he did just that. He shook his head. “I don’t mind. It’s not every day a guy gets to have lunch with two beautiful women,” he said staring straight at Seul Mi who was avoiding making eye contact. Min Young blushed. Seul Mi ignored him.

 

They entered a small café that was round the corner to the Kim Asia Enterprise. The café was half filled with busy people. They found a round table by the window. The cafétheme was an old Texas style. It was one thing Seul Mi liked about the place. The other was that the owners were great people who let her have free food sometimes when she was broke.

 

“This place is cosy,” Hyun Joong commented when they took their seat. He was examining the place. Seul Mi took the opportunity to steal a glance at him. But her gaze lingered on his mouth. She wondered if she would ever kiss them again. She then snapped out of her trance cursing herself for thinking that way only to see Hyun Joong staring at her with a smile on. She looked away blushing furiously for getting caught.

 

“It is,” Min Young agreed still goo-goo eyed with Hyun Joong and still not noticing anything between them.

 

Mrs. Maguire, the owner came to their table. “Seul Mi!” she squealed. Mrs. Maguire was a woman age fifty-two but she looked like she was just on her forties. Seul Mi got up to hug the woman.

 

“Darcy,” Seul Mi said. “Aren’t you meant to be resting?” she scolded narrowing her eyebrows.

 

“I’m only here for this afternoon,” she explained.

 

“After the incident I thought your husband might have locked you up in the bedroom,” Seul Mi stated. She then remembered that she wasn’t alone. She turned to the other two who were staring at her confused. “Darcy, I’d like you to meet my friend Park Min Young and my boss Kim Hyun Joong. Guys, I’d like you to meet Darcy Maguire the owner of the café and a good friend of mine.”

 

Hyun Joong stood up just like gentleman and took Darcy’s hand and shook it. “Nice to meet you, Ma’am. It is a pleasure meeting a beautiful lady.”

 

Darcy giggled like a little girl at how charming he was. “Seul Mi, you found a man already?” she whispered.

 

Seul Mi went crimson red because Darcy didn’t say it that quietly since Hyun Joong and Min Young heard it. “He’s my boss,” Seul Mi gave warning look with her eyes for her not to say anymore.

 

But Darcy wasn’t looking at her. “What a shame!” she sighed, eyeing Hyun Joong up and down. “You two would make a great couple!”

 

“Darcy!” Seul Mi gasped not believing she was hearing it. “Can I have some tea, please,” she emphasized the word please. Darcy got the message and went to get them their lunch after they ordered. Seul Mi shook her head sitting herself back on her chair that was opposite Hyun Joong. “Don’t mind her,” she told the other two.

 

“How do you know her?” Min Young asked curiously.

 

“I came here many time to have lunch and I got to know Darcy after the third visit,” she said. “I then stopped coming when I became broke. I came back a week ago and she asked me where I was. After that she gave me free food.”

 

“That was nice of her,” Hyun Joong said.

 

“I’m going to go to the kitchen to see her husband,” Seul Mi said shortly after. She was trying to get away from his stares. She got up and walked through the double doors.

 

Just as the doors closed behind Seul Mi the front door opened. In came three men starving to eat. They looked around. They noticed a Korean couple sitting by the window. They chose to sit at the table next to the double doors. The caféwas now filled with customers. It became very busy after all it was lunch hour. People had to shout over others to talk. Waiters and waitresses were going from one end to the other.

 

A waitress standing just in between the table and the double doors was taking the three men’s order. Seul Mi came out of the kitchen with a big grin on her face. She made her way to the table. Hyun Joong noticed her coming. She didn’t look at him. She was stopped at her tracks her smile disappearing when she heard a familiar voice.

 

“We’ll have one bacon sandwich, beans on toast…” Donghae carried on making the order. She turned slowly to see the three men she was hiding from right in front of her. But none of them were noticing her.

 

“Hey, Seul Mi!” Hyun Joong called.

 

Seul Mi froze.