FINAL

Never Say Goodbye

In the new semester of a new college year, Jonghyun and Jaeyeon were both walking to school together. Schoolmates who were around them were green with envy.

Jonghyun was really handsome.

And Jaeyeon was extremely pretty.

Both of their personalities were also very outgoing and nice. Hence they got themselves the nickname "The Couple Made In Heaven".

"Jae," Jonghyun said while looking at Jaekyung, "Its another nice spring semester. Don't you think? With all the beautiful flowers blooming."

"Yeah," Jaeyeon smiled and looked at the trees which were beside them. They were the few nice pink flower trees which the country had. "Its sure pretty, oppa. And its soothing."

He gave her hand a soft squeeze. "But you're still the prettiest. Much more prettier than the trees here."

Jaeyeon turned around and hit his head lightly, sighing. "Oppa! Stop being so cheesy. Its so unlike you to say this everyday. You've been telling me cheesy stuff every day in the past 2 weeks."

He forced himself to laugh. "I just want to make you feel loved every single second."

When they reached the school gate, Jonghyun planted a kiss on Jaeyeon's forehead and looked at her, observing her perfect facial features.

"You only have 3 months before you'll completely lose your vision. You can take the operation. But the risk is high either and it'll affect your vital organs if it doesn't go well."

There was someone who was looking at them from afar. His heart was hurting as he saw their interaction. *I can't bring myself to see Jae hurting.*

He walked towards the couple and waved, "Why are the two of you getting so touchy outside the gate? I'm getting utterly jealous here. If only I had a girlfriend."

Jonghyun looked at him and he scowled, "Onew hyung. You totally ruined my small moment here with Jaeyeon!"

"You know me. I ruin everything." Onew laughed while scratching the back of his head.

Jaeyeon then smiled and looked at the duo who were bickering. "I shall get going before I'm late!"

She gave a small peck on Jonghyun's cheek and waved to the two of them, walking away from the scene. She was in the Mathematics and Science faculty, while Jonghyun and Onew was in the Music and Technology faculty.

Jonghyun and Onew looked at her back view as she got further and further.

"Have you told her," Onew asked Jonghyun. He knew about Jonghyun's worsening condition.

Jonghyun shook his head and sighed, "I can't bring myself to tell her so. I haven't done so."

"But your operation is in two days time," He protested, "Jonghyun, its not that Hyung wants to nag at you but what would happen to Jae when you're not in school? She'll still find out right?"

"I'm n-not sure," Jonghyun replied, as he walked to their faculty block. "Because I don't want to leave her, knowing that she's sad. If I'm leaving, I don't want her to feel sad. I still want her to feel loved, and happy."


 

--


 

THREE DAYS LATER


 

Jaeyeon received a message from Jonghyun the previous night that he wouldn't be coming to school because he was gravely sick.

She told him that she wanted to visit him at his house, but he said he didn't want to bother her.

Instead, since Jonghyun wasn't coming, she was meeting up with Onew instead. *Shall ask Onew if he wants to meet Jjong oppa later.*

"Jaeyeon-ah!" Onew shouted as he ran over. She waved back at him and chuckled when she saw him trip over an invisible item. *Silly, but cute Jinki oppa.*

Actually, Onew knew you before Jonghyun and became your first friend in college. He let you talk to him about your problems and he was the one who introduced Jonghyun to you.

"Oppa, good morning!" She smiled, as she controlled not to laugh.

*She still doesn't know about it apparently,* He thought to himself. He straightened his clothes and laughed dryly, "Good morning, Jae."

"Do you know what's wrong with Jonghyun," She asked, looking away while biting her lips.

Onew nodded, "But I'm not obliged to tell you at first. Now, I think you should know about this."

Jaeyeon looked at him curiosly as he began talking about Jonghyun's condition.

-Flashback-

2 months ago:

Jonghyun was in the music composing room with Onew, as they were participating in an external competition.

Jonghyun was feeling extra uncomfortable with his eyes that week and he didn't know why. He would usually shrug it away. But that day, his eyes had so much discomfort that he almost couldn't take it.

"What's wrong," Onew asked as he saw his dongsaeng shaking his head while rubbing his eyes, "Is it your eyes?"

Jonghyun shook his head and sighed softly, "I don't know. But its getting utterly uncomfortable recently."

-

2 WEEKS LATER AT THE DOCTOR's:

"Jonghyun-ssi," Dr Heo spoke, as he frowned at Jonghyun's report. "I'm sorry to tell you but, you would only have 3 months of vision left."

Jonghyun's eyes widened as he heard the doctor's words to him. *H-how can this b-be?*

"There's a way to cure, but,"

"What is it, Dr Heo," Jonghyun asked, with a tinge of desperacy.

"There's an operation, you can change for a new cornea with this. But there'd be a high risk for this operation. Because its near your brain, it may actually affect your vital organs." He explained, "There's a 50-50 chance of success and failure in this operation."

"I'll do it," Jonghyun stated, "I'll do it, despite the high risk. I understand that." *For Jaeyeon's happiness.*

-Flashback END-

"How can this be," Jaeyeon asked, still stumped from the news that landed out from nowhere. *How can this be happening to Oppa?! And he didn't tell me anything.*

"He didn't know how to tell you and he didn't want you to feel sad at the end," Onew explained, "He wanted to have good memories with you and make you feel loved all the time."

"Bring me to where Jonghyun's having his operation," She said coldly. "I'll cut school today."

 

~~

 

The two then flagged a taxi to go down to the hospital where Jonghyun was at. On the way there, Onew looked at Jaeyeon as she was biting her lips, trying hard to control her tears from flowing out.

*My heart is hurting as badly as you too. Seeing you cry.* He thought. He always had hidden feelings for Jaeyeon but he wouldn't allow himself to show it.

He pulled Jaeyeon closer to him and allowed her to lie on his shoulder. "Just sob it all out, Jae. You'll feel better."

 

~~


When they reached the hospital, the sky was dark and eminous looking. They went to the operation counter and asked the nurses where Jonghyun was taking his operation and ran there immediately.

When they arrived at the door of the operating theater, they realized that Jonghyun's parents were sitting outside, looking very solemn.

"Abeoji, Eomoni," Jaeyeon greeted. The two adults looked at her, and also with a worried expression.

"Jaeyeon-ah," Mrs Kim said, "I'm guessing that you know about it already."

"That irresponsible son of mine," Mr Kim muttered, "He doesn't want to inform you and whatsoever."

He looked at Onew and forced a smile, "Thank you, Jinki." Onew shook his head as a gesture of responding to Mr Kim's 'Thank You'.

"How long has he been in there?" She asked Mrs Kim as the two of them sat on one of the chairs. Mrs Kim sighed, "Around 5 hours. He's been in there since dawn, and we are rather worried because the doctors told us it would end in around 3 hours. But..."

Jaeyeon held onto Mrs Kim's shoulders, and gave Mrs Kim a comforting smile. "Jonghyun's a strong guy!"
 

~~
 

It has been another 2 hours since Jaeyeon and Onew arrived at the hospital, but Jonghyun wasn't done with his operation.

Mr and Mrs Kim went off for their meals, whereby Onew stayed with Jaeyeon.

Thoughts were running around in your mind wildly. "Jae," Onew started. "Don't worry about Jonghyun. I know what you're thinking. Because he would know that you're here and he would be more determined than ever."

Jaeyeon nodded, "But... its been 7 hours since he was inside there."

Before he could reply her, the doctors came out of the operation room. "May I know if anyone of you knows Patient Kim Jonghyun?"

Jaeyeon stood up immediately and ran over, "I'm his girlfriend. Is he fine now?"

The main doctor nodded, and said, "His surgery is successful, but we still have to see if his body readily accepts the cornea to determine if its 100% successful."

"Can we visit him now?" Onew asked, after the doctor finished his sentence. "I'm his friend."

The doctor nodded and walked away. They then followed the nurses, who then brought them to Jonghyun's room.

Onew sent text messages to Jonghyun's parents, while Jaeyeon went inside the room to talk to him. And apparently, he wasn't awake yet, because of the surgery.

Jaeyeon's eyes teared as she sat beside his bed. She reached out for his hand and held it tightly. "Oppa," She cried, while saying, "It's going to be our anniversary in 3 days' time. And it's going to be your birthday soon."

"Stupid Oppa, why didn't you want to tell me," She continued, with her face full of tears, and hiccuping, "I want to share the ups and downs of your lives with you, like how you did with mine. I don't want only me to be happy."

Onew stood outside and looked at Jaeyeon, who was crying so badly. He felt so useless for not being able to fully comfort you. And he knew he wasn't the one who could make you totally happy.

*Jae, I'm so sorry,* He thought sadly, *I'm so sorry for not being able to do anything for you. Though I keep telling myself that I love you, at times like this, I feel really useless. I'm sorry, Jae.*

After a while, Jaeyeon wiped away her tears and walked out of the room, allowing Onew to go inside. He looked at her, with his worried expression. "Jae, are you--"

"I'm okay, oppa," Jaeyeon interrupted and gave a dry laugh, "Don't worry."

Onew then walked into the ward, looking at Jonghyun, thinking about their pact two days ago.

- FLASHBACK -

2 DAYS AGO

"Hyung," Jonghyun started, as he was eating lunch with Onew, "you like Jae, right?"

Onew choked on his Orange juice as he looked at Jonghyun. "What makes you say so?" He replied.

He shrugged, "Just got that kind of feeling from Hyung." He then laughed dryly, "In the future, if you ever want to challenge me for Jae, just come. I wouldn't mind if its Hyung."

"But," He laughed dryly, "Seriously. I won't give Jae up, hyung. Unless... my operation fails or something."

"If so," He smiled sadly while looking away, "If so... I want you to be there for Jae. You're the only guy I believe would be the best for her."

"Promise?" Jonghyun smiled brightly as he looked at Onew, while showing him his pinky.

"What? Are you still 3? Pinky Promise?" Onew laughed, while slapping his shoulder, "But, promise."

- FLASHBACK END-

 

~~

 

PRESENT:

"Jonghyun-ah," Onew called out, with hope that he would wake up suddenly, "Please wake up faster. At least for your parents and Jaeyeonnie. She's really..."

He looked outside and saw Jaeyeon dazing away. "Really devastated," He completed.

Onew sighed, "Without you, Jae would never be complete. Even with me, I don't know if I can give her the happiness that she needs and got from you."

He added, "So, please wake up soon, Jonghyun-ah. You still have your dreams, your family, your friends and your love - Kang Jaeyeon."

 

~~

 

Jonghyun's POV

Where am I? I looked around as I saw a very beautiful scenery behind me. A very pretty looking girl was walking towards me. She was wearing a white dress, and had white wings.

Was she an angel? I pretty much asked myself that question for a lot of times.

"Hi," She introduced, "I'm Al. My full name is Kim Aeri. But I ended up here after I died."

My eyes widened at her words. Am I dead? Am I .... Really D-E-A-D?!

She chuckled, "No, dumb. You're not dead. You are just in coma and you've been in that condition for 3 days already. As in 3 days in the human world."

"Today's my anniversary with Jae," I whispered to myself.

"I'm going to let you listen to some things that your loved ones left you," She smiled, "And it'd then be the time to let you go."

I nodded excitedly.

Firstly, she started off to let me listen to what Onew hyung and Jaeyeon told me. Like what Onew hyung mentioned, Jaeyeon sounded so devastated. But how in the world did she know?

Then she allowed me to hear my parents.

They were the same. They were acting to be determined. They were determined to make me wake up.

Lastly, it would be the ones whereby Jae came and talked to me.

"Jonghyun oppa," Her angelic voice spoke, "It's our 2 years' anniversary right now. You're gonna graduate next year right? So wake up faster and achieve your dream, though you may not be able to actually accept the cornea. But right now, I'm contented that you're still here with me. That your heart is still beating and you're still breathing."

She continued, "I know it is currently hard on you. But please fight the obstacles that you're facing to make you sleep like that. I miss you a lot but we're going to give this some time, okay? I'll wait until you wake up."

"And," She chuckled, "Jinki oppa confessed to me just now. I rejected him, but we're still friends. He's outside right now and we're still good friends. I can't believe this but so many things happened in this week that you're sleeping."

"But remember," She ended off her sentence, with small sobs in between, "I'll always be here for you when you need it. I want to share all your ups and downs with you, like how you allow me to share it with you. And all these is because I love you a lot, Jonghyun. I'm determined to live with you till the end of our time on Earth and let's live till we're 1000! I love you, oppa. And happy 2 years anniversary."

"So," Al looked at him, "You actually do have a choice if you want to go back or not."

"What's wrong with my condition," Jonghyun asked.

"It's serious and it has something to do with the rest of your life, but," Al replied, "I'm not obliged to interfere with issues in the human world."

"But," She continued, "More often or not, I would break the rules here for people like you, who can't make choices that they want."

 

~~

 

Author’s POV

Jaeyeon looked at Jonghyun, as his fingers started to twitch a little. “Jonghyun oppa?” She shrieked happily.

She quickly pressed the button to call for the doctors as she went outside to tell Onew about his condition. Similarly, Onew was as happy that his dongsaeng was going to wake up.

When the doctors were helping him, Jaeyeon and Onew were waiting outside, hoping to hear for some great news, instead of a false alarm or something. After a short while, the doctors came out, while smiling. “Great, he had woke up. He would be transferred to a normal room soon.”

The duo then heaved a sigh of relief. *You finally woke up, Jonghyun oppa.* She smiled as she walked to the ward that Jonghyun would be transferred to.

 

~~

 

Jonghyun opened his eyes and saw Jaeyeon and Onew looking at him. He sat up slowly and smiled, “Hey.”

“Jaeyeon-ah,” He muttered, “I’m sorry. I really am.”

She gave Jonghyun a gentle hug, and shook her head. “No, I understand how you felt back there. But promise me that you would share all ups and downs with me now.”

He nodded, “Promise.”

Jonghyun then looked at Onew,  giving his hyung a look, but then smiled, “You were the one that told her right?”

Onew looked at the former, and nodded, while looking away. “Sorry, I just wanted --.”

“Nope, hyung. I’m the one who has to thank you for breaking the news to her.” Jonghyun said sincerely. “I didn’t have the courage to do so. But you did it on behalf of me. I really thank you so much. And I’m rather glad that I’ve Jaeyeon to look at once I wake up.”

Onew laughed sheepishly and walked out, saying, “I shall leave you two to talk, while I go and call Abeoji and Eomoni outside.”

Jonghyun looked at Jaeyeon lovingly,  saying, “Today’s our anniversary right?”

She nodded, and smiled back at him, “Yes. I’m really happy that you have waked up.”

He then sighed and softened at her smile. “I met an angel earlier. I heard whatever you said, and whatever the doctor said. My surgery was a success but if the cornea is not accepted by my body, I will still be blind, am I right? But she gave me a chance – if I wanted to stay, or if I wanted to leave the world.”

“But then I thought over again,” He continued, “I don’t know if I’m ready to leave you, my family, and my friends. Most importantly, the dreams that I want to achieve and let everybody that I love… I haven’t achieved those yet. And I wasn’t ready to say goodbye to you.”

Jaeyeon stared at her boyfriend, while having tears brim at the edges of her eyes. “O-oppa”

Jonghyun stared back at Jaeyeon and gave her his sweetest smile, “Goodbye is such a tough word to say. To think of it, it’s easy, but when I have to do it, it would be so hard. Thinking that my parents, that Onew hyung out there, and you would be so devastated, it makes it so hard, that I can’t make it leave my lips anymore.”

Before he could continue speaking,  Jaeyeon leaned forward, and gave him a kiss. Jonghyun’s eyes widened at his girlfriend’s actions. She never made the first move before, because she was too shy. But at that moment, she actually… kissed him first.

The long kiss had a mixture of longingness, love and the feelings that the two had. The feeling was perfect and they felt like they were fated to be together for life at that very moment.

Jaeyeon pulled away, while Jonghyun stared at her. “Jae?”

She looked at him and tilted her head, with curiosity over what he was going to say.

“I love you,” He whispered, while planting a soft kiss on her fore head and pulling her into his arms for a gentle hug. He totally missed having her in his arms like that, though it had only been a week. “And I don’t think I would ever want to bid farewell to you because saying Goodbye is probably the hardest word in the world that I can ever say to you.”