It was summer once

You were me and I was you
 

 

 

 

It was hot because it's summer. Soojung is in line with Hyeri to buy a lemonade because it's too hot their throats feels too dry.

 

"Is he really going to take summer class here?" Hyeri started, "It's not like our school is near from where he is born. He has to take a plane."

 

"He said his mom were planning to spend their vacation here. He said he'll take advance classes for his course so she let him." Soojung said as she checks the counter as to why the line looks like not moving at all.

 

"Are you really sure.." Hyeri pauses, "I know we've talked over this, but you know, someone you met online still.."

 

"Trust me. He's nice."

 

"Fine. Fine." Hyeri checks the counter too, "What is wrong with their service today? They're so slow!"

 

Soojung just shakes her head.

 

 

 

 

 

Jongin is not really that dark like what he told her over on the phone countless times when she would ask him if he is really dark.

 

She recognizes him immediately, black tank top, blue jeans, black converse and a BWCW white cap.

 

Jongin looks at her direction as she entered the cafe then smiles.

 

"Jongin-ssi?" she called tentatively.

 

"Why are you being formal now? You called me stupid on the phone once. Or maybe twice?" Jongin answers and laughs.

 

Soojung feels like laughing too, so she does. Jongin sounds so Jongin, no doubt about it then. "Well," She starts but then didn't continue and just shrugs.

 

"Lunch? My treat as I promised."

 

Soojung simply nods, smile never leaving her lips.

 

 

 

 

 

"We have one subject together." Jongin said and grins.

 

"So?" Soojung shots teasingly.

 

"You can do my homework. Heh." Jongin keeps grinning and pokes her right cheek.

 

"You lazy ."

 

Soojung thought that the first meeting will be awkward. No, not really, with Jongin's constant jokes out of the blue. Soojung got to know Jongin more that day, she learns Jongin really loves to dance, by that then she means, Jongin will suddenly move his arms in step and once even turning around when they passed by a store playing 'Wolf'. Also, he prefers rapping than singing. He looks like a kid when he smiles and looks very intimidating, almost scary, when serious.

 

First day of summer class is hot. She's taking Jongin where his classroom for his first subject is, "Here we are. Goodluck Jongin. Study well!" Soojung turns to leave and notices Jongin walking beside her. "Where are you going?"

 

"Taking you to class?" Jongin answers.

 

"What?"

 

"I'm taking you to your class."

 

"Eh? But-"

 

"No buts Soojung." Jongin starts to walk.

 

"Jongin-"

 

"I said no buts-"

 

"But my room is this way."

 

"..Oh."

 

Soojung laughs at Jongin. Jongin doesn't look like he minds, he just pokes her cheek.

 

 

 

 

 

It was one lunch when it starts.

 

Soojung is on her way to the cafeteria with Jongin for lunch. Jongin is talking animatedly about his dogs that he regrets not bringing with him because Soojung told him she likes dogs ("but we don't have one because my sister is allergic to dogs and cats. I really want one though, ever since I was a kid!") when Jongin suddenly stops abrubtly staring ahead.

 

She follows his gaze and a woman in late 40's was standing not far from them. She walks towards them and kisses Jongin's cheeks and looks at her from head to toe, eyes scrutinizing and Soojung just feel like hiding behind Jongin.

 

"Dear, I thought the school you're going is more, more.. outstanding than this.. university."

 

Jongin visibly swallows. "Mom, this is Soojung, she's a good friend."

 

"Hi. G-Good afternoon Mrs. Kim."

 

Mrs. Kim stares at her again. Then smiles, "Hello." and turns back to Jongin, "Jongin, let's eat dinner at the Japanese restaurant I passed by on the way here. Your school's cafeteria is.. well.."

 

Soojung is quite sure Mrs. Kim is judging her school and probably thinks the food in the cafeteria is far from edible. Soojung is pretty sure too that the Kyungsoo guy that is working part time for a school scholarship at their cafeteria makes great food, but she knows better not to say anything, so she stays silent.

 

"Mom.."

 

"Soojung can come, of course."

 

Soojung thought it was a bad idea.

 

And it is.

 

Jongin's mom doesn't like Soojung, she just knows because her smiles at her are strained and too fake to not notice and everytime she's talking to Jongin, she'll be interjecting and ask Jongin questions about school.

 

So Soojung ended up not talking at all.

 

 

 

 

It was summer too when Soojung first met Jongin. Not personally yet, but through Jongin's mistake in typing an e-mail address. Soojung accidentally read a message of Jongin's application to an Art-centered university and she immediately replied that Jongin got the wrong e-mail. Jongin starts to question her on how her e-mail is almost the same as the university's  and Soojung patiently explains how.

 

Jul 07,  4:01PM  fr: kkmjong

You can't copy my e-mail, okay? It'll be plagiarize!

 

Jul 07,  4:02PM  fr: krystal

I'm not someone who plagiarize! And It's 'plagiarism", you idiot.

 

Jul 07,  4:02PM  fr: kkmjong

You didn't call me idiot, did you?

 

Jul 07,  4:03PM  fr: krystal

Oh. I did.

 

Jul 07,  4:05PM  fr: kkmjong

Okay. I'm done with you.

 

Jul 07,  4:05PM  fr: krystal

Mkay, Bye.

 

It's not the nicest conversation on first meetings but Soojung had fun talking to someone who shot back at her insults. Some days later, Jongin (as she knew later on their conversation) messages her again.

 

Jul 10,  6:39PM  fr: kkmjong

Yo.

 

Jul 10,  6:44PM  fr: kkmjong

Hey.

 

Jul 10,  6:51PM  fr: kkmjong

Hey!

 

Jul 10,  6:59PM  fr: kkmjong

Are you ignoring me?

 

Jul 10,  7:02PM  fr: kkmjong

YAAAAAAAAAAH!

 

Jul 10,  7:03PM  fr: krystal

W H A T

 

Jul 10,  7:03PM  fr: kkmjong

hahahaha! i just want to annoy someone and you know what, you're the first person that came to my mind. LOL

 

Jul 10,   7:04PM  fr: krystal

So you messaged me to annoy me?

 

Jul 10,   7:05PM  fr: kkmjong

Yep.

 

Jul 10, '11   7:05PM  fr: krystal

I'm so touched. Really.

 

Annoying messages continues on starting that day, Soojung is not really annoyed and she can feel that Jongin is too. Soojung thinks, she started caring for Jongin on one raining summer day.

 

July 26,  7:52PM  fr: krystal

Ya. kkamjong.

 

July 26,  7:59PM  fr: krystal

So, you are ignoring me now?

 

July 26,  8:07PM  fr: krystal

Ya. You can't do this. I am the only one who can ignore you. You can't ignore me!

 

July 26,  8:11PM  fr: kkmjong

Sorry Soojung. I didn't mean to. My mom won't give me my phone.

 

July 26,  8:11PM  fr: krystal

Why won't she?

 

July 26,  8:12PM fr: kkmjong

She thinks I'm sick because of using so much of my time with my face buried on my phone. 

 

July 26,  8:12PM fr: kkmjong

Take note, handsome face, okay?

 

July 26,  8:12PM  fr: krystal

Eww. Handsome doesn't suit you okay so stop.

 

July 26,  8:12PM  fr: krystal

and I'm not worried.

 

July 26,  8:13PM  fr: kkmjong

Pft. I AM HANDSOME. Many girls are head over heels for me.

 

July 26,  8:13PM  fr: krystal

Not me.

 

July 26,  8:22PM  fr: krystal

YA. I TOLD YOU THAT YOU CAN'T JUST IGNORE MEEEEEE.

 

July 26,  8:25PM  fr: kkmjong

Sorry. I drank my medicine. It's so bitter eew.

 

July 26,  8:25PM  fr: krystal

You're really sick, aren't you?

 

July 26,  8:25PM  fr: kkmjong

Just a slight fever. I'm fine.

 

July 26,  8:25PM  fr. krystal

Sleep.

 

July 26, '11  8:25PM fr: kkmjong

What?

 

July 26, '11  8:26PM  fr: krystal

Go to sleep. Rest.

 

July 26, '11  8:26PM fr: kkmjong

Don't tell me you're worried? >:D

 

July 26,   8:26PM  fr: krystal

(no message)

 

July 26,  8:27PM  fr: kkmjong

YOU SENT ME A BLANK MESSAGE! HA! YOU ARE WORRIED! >:D

 

July 26,  8:27PM  fr: krystal

(no message)

 

July 26,  8:27PM  fr: kkmjong

Fine. Fine. I'm going to bed. Don't be annoyed, you knew conversation like this to us is normal, right?

 

July 26,  8:28PM  fr: kkmjong

Soojung-ah.. Ya.

 

July 26,  8:28PM  fr. krystal

I know. Go to sleep.

 

July 26,  8:29PM  fr: kkmjong

Okay. Promise me you won't get annoyed with me. Like ever.

 

July 26,  8:31PM  fr: kkmjong

Soojung.

 

July 26,  8:32PM  fr: krystal

I promise.

 

 

 

 

 

"Sorry." was the first thing Jongin tells her when she opens their door.

 

"What.."

 

"Sorry for yesterday." Jongin said still finding his shoes more interesting.

 

Soojung is quite for awhile, then pokes Jongin's cheek and let it stay there as she waits Jongin to look up at her before saying "It's alright." and smiles.

 

She waits for Jongin to smile back before inviting him inside.

 

"Mom."

 

"Oh. Hello there?"

 

"Jongin. Kim Jongin."

 

"Hello Jongin-ssi, come join us for lunch."

 

"T-Thank you."

 

Jongin tells Soojung he already loves her mom's kimchi. And maybe likes his sister and father because they laugh at his weird jokes. And asks her if he can visit again. Soojung said yes.

 

 

 

 

 

Since the incident with Mrs. Kim, Jongin had been more, touchy? sweet (as bestfriends can get)? more smile-y? Though Soojung is a bit too sure there's something wrong.

 

He pokes her cheek more often, like when before he leaves for his class after taking her to her own, when they are reading in the library, when they are in line to buy lunch on the cafeteria, when Hyeri is talking about how her teacher in Advance Algebra is so handsome or like now, when they are waiting for their few classmates to finish their quizzes.

 

He also starts walking her home. Sometimes even staying for dinner.

 

She also notices how Jongin will quite suddenly when they are on one of the park's table when doing homeworks while staring ahead at nothing in particular. Soojung will ask why, Jongin will only answer i'm just tired so you finish your homework and let me copy. Then he'll smile and everything seems to get back to normal.

 

 

 

 

 

Soojung still thinks she is a bit lucky. Many people told her you can't really trust people you met online.

 

And Soojung still thinks it's funny, because those people who told her that didn't even know that Soojung suffers insomnia and it's only Jongin's awkward humming of 'Goodbye Summer' that made her eyes close.

 

 

 

 

 

It's already in the middle of summer that Soojung got to see Jongin's mother again.

 

Jongin is at their house, happily chatting and eating with her whole family when the doorbell rings.

 

"I'll get it." Soojung volunteers.

 

She stands up and go for the door.

 

"Good evening, Mrs. Kim."

 

"Good evening to you too. Is Jongin inside?"

 

"Yes. Please come in." Soojung opens the door widely for the unexpected visitor, because she doesn't even know how Jongin's mom knew where she lives.

 

Mrs. Kim's appearance with Soojung at the dining table quites everyone in the room.

 

"What are you doing here?" Soojung can say she knows Jongin pretty well. Jongin's face is a mixture of annoyance, sadness, and fear.

 

"Good evening to you too Jongin-ah."

 

"Uh.. Good evening.." Soojung's mom greets tentatively.

 

"I'm Jongin's mother."

 

"Oh. Good evening Mrs. Kim, please join us, we just started."

 

"Thank you but no, thanks. I'm only here to take Jongin home."

 

"Mom.. we've talked about this."

 

"Jongin."

 

"Mom. You promised."

 

"Jinri came and currently waiting in the car." Mrs. Kim's tone said it's final. "I don't see any reason for you to stay here with people you barely know." she added.

 

"Mom. Stop it."

 

"Jongin. We're going."

 

Jongin is silent. For a moment, Soojung thinks of holding Jongin's tightly clenched fists to make him calm down but thinks it's not appropriate to do it right at the moment.

 

Soojung watched in the sidelines as Mrs. Kim turns around followed by Jongin standing up and giving an apologetic bow to her family.

The continued dinner that night is quite. Too quite.

 

 

 

 

 

The next monday, while Soojung is starting to eat her breakfast, their doorbell rings. Her sister go and open it to reveal Jongin. He greeted Sooyeon an awkward 'good morning noona' then went inside to the kitchen where Soojung's father is reading a daily newspaper and her mother cleaning the used utensils with Sooyeon silently following behind.

 

Soojung's sister went to sit beside her while Jongin stops by the kitchen entrance and suddenly kneels, and formally bows to them. "I'm sorry about the other day. Please forgive me. I'm really sorry."

 

Everyone in the room is in shock. Even Soojung's father is slightly jaw-dropped.

 

It's Soojung's mom that pulls Jongin up and smiles, "You don't really have to be sorry, Jongin-ah. I'll get you a plate and eat with the girls, alright? Now, go sit."

 

Jongin tells Soojung on the way to school that day that he loves her family.

 

Soojung jokes and asks Jongin if he only loves her family and not her.

 

"You know I always do."

 

Soojung stops in her tracks to look at Jongin.

 

"What? You're my best friend. It's given, you silly." Jongin says and pokes her cheek.

 

Soojung is not sure if she's relieved or disappointed.

 

 

 

 

 

Summer is coming to it's end and so is their summer class.

 

They are at the library with Hyeri, where they are suppose to study but Jongin's one arm is propped on the table while he rest his cheek on his hand and the other poking Soojung's cheek.

 

"Yah. Start reading." Soojung said not looking at Jongin.

 

"Not in the mood."

 

"Come on.." Soojung encourages. "There's only two weeks remaining for our classes to end. It won't be bad to study for the last term."

 

Jongin stops poking her and looks almost sad. But then he smiles. Strained. "Right. It's ending."

 

Soojung wants to ask Jongin if she said or did something wrong because Jongin is so quite that Soojung thinks if she's not holding on the allowance strap of Jongin's backpack, she wouldn't know Jongin is with her.

 

Jongin didn't stay for dinner that day.

 

But he kisses her forehead before smiling and waving goodbye to her.

 

Soojung momentarily forgets how to breathe.

 

 

 

 

 

Final week means final exams. It's friday and the last exam is the subject where Soojung and Jongin were classmates.

 

"I think I forgot everything I studied aboit this." Soojung said.

 

"Nah. Don't think so." Jongin said and pokes her cheek.

 

Their proctor comes in with the exam in her arms and their last exam starts.

 

 

 

 

 

"Finally!" Hyeri said as they met on the front gates. "Finally exams are over!"

 

Soojung laughs, "I know right, and classes too!"

 

Jongin is just quite.

 

Soojung notices it, of course. She was about to ask what's wrong when a car pulled up in front of them.

 

The back seat's window slides down, "Jongin-ah!"

 

"Jinri." Soojung hears Jongin whispered.

 

"Your mom called me to pick you up because she will be treating us for dinner! Come on!"

 

"Jinri, I still need to walk-"

 

Soojung holds Jongin's arm, maybe a bit tightly, "Go. It's fine."

 

"No. I'll walk you. Okay?" Jongin said and turns back to Jinri, "I need to walk her home."

 

"..Oh. Then let's just give her a ride. It's fine and it's faster."

 

"No.. uhm.. Thank you but Jongin will already go with you. Right, Jongin-ah?"

 

"Soojung-"

 

"That's great! But are you sure?"

 

"Of course." Soojung knows she'll regret this. "I'm Soojung. I'm his best friend."

 

"Oh. I'm Jinri! I'm Jongin's fiance! Nice to meet you Soojung-ah!" Jinri offers a hand through the window.

 

Soojung swallows something then she gives Jinri a smile while she shakes the offered hand, "Nice to meet you too Jinri-yah. Please take care of Jongin."

 

"Oh. I will!"

 

Soojung lets go of Jongin's arm and lightly push Jongin to the direction of the car. She missed the hurt look on his face.

 

"I'll see around Soojung then! Bye!"

 

"Bye.."

 

Jongin quitely enters the car without saying goodbye.

 

Soojung cries silently that night.

 

 

 

 

 

Soojung never said, never ask anything about Jinri even she really wants to since Jongin's mom mentioned Jinri came and currently waiting in the car.

 

She didn't ask but waits, and waits for Jongin to tell something about her, because Soojung thinks if Jinri is someone important to Jongin, Jongin will tell her himself. If she's his fiance, if 'he' has a fiance, he would tell her without her even asking.

 

But Jongin didn't. And there she thought it was a silent agreement that they would tell to each other every important matters.

 

And it hurts Soojung.

 

It hurts because Jongin didn't contact her for three consecutive days now to even explain how he already has a fiance.

 

It hurts because she thought she is his best friend.

 

And it hurts because she's just a best friend.

 

 

 

 

 

On the fourth day of Jongin not contacting Soojung, she gives up and dialed his number.

 

When the call is answered on the other line, she didn't said hello, and so is Jongin.

 

She swallows something, phone still pressed against her right ear, only hearing static.

 

Then Jongin breaks it first, "I missed you."

 

Soojung wants to cry right there and then, because Jongin probably had no idea how she missed him, she swallows something again to prevent her voice from cracking, "Me too."

 

"Sorry.."

 

"For?" She asks, although she already had an idea what he is sorry for.

 

"Everything. For my mom's mean-ess, for not contacting you. For not telling you about Jinri. I'm sorry."

 

Soojung didn't answer but Jongin didn't hang up.

 

"Can we take a walk? Give me like, half an hour."

 

"..Okay."

 

 

 

 

 

Soojung hears the doorbell rings, she stands up and said to anyone in the house she'll be out with Jongin for awhile.

 

They were silent, autumn is slowly coming and the weather is not too hot anymore. Soojung thinks Jongin is like summer, he'll come and leave. Soojung wonders if Jongin will come back.

 

"I'm leaving."

 

"I know that. You told even before you got here." Soojung tries to laugh but failed.

 

"Tomorrow."

 

Soojung swallows again. "I see."

 

"Are you going to the airport?"

 

Soojung bits her lower lip. "Of course."

 

The conversation didn't involve any eye contact. Soojung didn't remember being awkward with Jongin, even that first meeting, even that time Jongin cried because he tries to help Soojung's mom to slice onions, even that one time Soojung was quite down by the vice principal because she's laughing too loudly at Jongin's weird corny jokes on the hallway, and even that one when Jongin accidentally brushed his lips on hers when he was leaning to get the remote on the other side of Soojung on the couch while watching tv.

 

Jongin stops by the swing and sits on one. Soojung does the same.

 

"Soojung.."

 

"Hm?"

 

"Say something. Please."

 

"How was this summer for you?"

 

"The best."

 

"You're not sure yet. There will be more summer to come."

 

"I know. I just know this is the best."

 

"Why?"

 

"Because I finally met you in person."

 

"That's all?"

 

Jongin is silent for awhile, "Of course not.

 

Because I met another friend that talks about her crush on a teacher the whole lunch, because I get to dance randomly without anyone saying I should stop, because I got a chance to experience what would it feel like to have a father, because I experienced to cook kimchi with a great cook, because I experienced having a good meal with a happy family.

Because I get to see you, know you," Soojung sees Jongin lifts a hand, "and touch you." and pokes her cheek.

 

Soojung can't help it, so she starts to cry.

 

Jongin stands up and pulls her into a hug. Soojung likes this. Soojung can live forever like this.

 

"I'll miss you." Jongin whispered.

 

 

 

 

 

After all the crying is done, Jongin walks Soojung back, stays for dinner and eventually tells about him leaving.

 

"That's sad. I am used to having a brother!" Sooyeon comments and ruffles Jongin's hair.

 

"Will you come back?" Soojung's mom asks.

 

Soojung wants to cover her ears because she doesn't know what she expects as Jongin's answer.

 

"I would love to."

 

It's a safe answer, Soojung thinks. It's an answer but it didn't answer if he will or will not. Soojung's mom seems to be satisfied at it enough because she smiles, "Just knock and I'll cook anything you want, 'kay?"

 

"Who will watch soccer with me now?" Soojung's dad interjects and laughs heartly.

 

Everyone just laughs it off. Or so it seems.

 

Jongin bid his goodbye and Soojung walks him to the door.

 

"Goodnight." she said.

 

"Goodnight." Jongin replies.

 

No one makes a move to walk to the station, nor to walk back inside the house.

 

Soojung feels her eyes stinging again.

 

"Soojung-ah.."

 

"I.. I promise I wouldn't cry tomorrow."

 

Jongin walks to Soojung to hug her.

 

Jongin kisses her again on the forehead that night. Long enough for Soojung to feel that Jongin doesn't want to go.

 

 

 

 

 

Tomorrow became today. Jongin's flight is at three in the afternoon but they went early at ten in the morning because Mrs. Kim said she has to take care of some papers.

 

They were seated on one of the airport's lobby. "Where's Jinri?"

 

"She already left yesterday. Family matters."

 

Soojung hums. "I think she's nice. Jinri is nice."

 

"Yeah. She's nice."

 

"I should be happy because I know she'll take care of you."

 

Jongin didn't said anything at that.

 

"I want to see you again."

 

"I want to see you again too."

 

"That's good then, right?" Soojung tries to lift up the heavy atmosphere at least a bit.

 

Jongin remains quite.

 

"You won't forget my birthday, right? I'm going to hit you if you do." Soojung tries more.

 

Jongin swallows something.

 

"You're.. coming back.. right?"

 

Jongin cries as he buried his face on Soojung's hair.

 

"What are you doing. No one is suppose to cry, you idiot. Don't." Soojung swallows back a sob, "Stop crying.. Jongin-ah.."

 

"I." Jongin continues to cry silently, "I can't."

 

"You're going to get a broken promise if you don't stop."

 

"It's fine. Break it. I broke something too anyway."

 

So Soojung cries.

 

 

 

 

 

Lunch didn't help. Soojung barely touches her food. Jongin didn't even eat if it weren't for Soojung's once in a while serving of chicken or carrot on her fork placed in front of Jongin to eat.

 

No one said anything after the lunch, but Jongin holds her hand the whole time until the passengers for Jongin's flight are called.

"Jongin. I've been looking for you." Mrs. Kim glances at their entwined hands, Soojung feels Jongin tightens his grip, "Come on."

 

"Can you go in first? I'm going on the last call. I promise."

 

Mrs. Kim didn't look impressed but sighs in defeat. "Okay."

 

They still didn't talk, though. Then Soojung just can't take it anymore. "Jongin.."

 

"Hm?"

 

"What promise did you break?"

 

"Many."

 

"Like?"

 

"When I promised I'd tell you every important things. I didn't."

 

Soojung waits as the second call from the speakers were announce.

 

"When I promise that I'll be you're best friend."

 

"Did I break that one too?"

 

"Maybe."

 

"How would I know then?"

 

Jongin is quite while it is the last call. He leans in. A mere brush of lips and Soojung knows the answer. Soojung is quite sure she already knows even before that that she stopped liking being his best friend.

 

Jongin stares at her and pokes her cheek. Soojung pokes his cheek too. "I did."

 

Jongin just smiles.

 

"You need to go. That was the last call."

 

"..Okay."

 

Jongin reluctantly and slowly lets go of her hand and it feels more painful.

 

He looks at her one last time before finally going in.

 

It was then that Soojung realizes there are so many things remained unsaid. Be it from Jongin or her.

 

"Don't go."

 

 


a/n: I thought I was writing fluff. But. eeep.

I'm not really satisfied with this but, I hope this is worth enough. Thank you subbies and everyone who read! ♥