King of the Hill

King of the Hill

Everyone’s eyes were on the slim figure who entered the room, an enraptured hush settling through the crowd that only moments before was as noisy as a flock of seagulls (bringing to mind that certain Disney movie but they were way too old for that, of course. This was high school, after all). Kim Jongdae was shorter than most but it seemed as if he walked on the shoulders of giants, chin out confidently as he moved through those gathered, a slight swagger to his step. His profile was aquiline, that jawline carved from marble like some Greek god. The crowd parted for him like the Red Sea did for Moses, the action quite satisfying to the acknowledged leader of the group. He lived for this attention. After all, he’d earned it.


It it were any other, normal day he’d take the seat reserved for him simply because he was Kim Jongdae and that day’s events would commence without any further discussion. However, when he approached his claimed seat he found it was already occupied, this time by a scrawny kid who looked younger than himself. Scrawny, skinny, scruffy - an alliteration of S’s seemed to suffice - all those words best described the bottled-blonde sitting so comfortably in his chair. His clothing - t-shirt, faded jeans, Converses that had the look of wear that came from actually wearing them and not buying them like that, snapback settled backwards to partially cover that faded blonde hair - was an affront to Kim Jongdae’s sensibilities. How dare this - ruffian - take his seat so nonchalantly?


“I am,” and here Jongdae took a breath, the dramatic pause rippling through those observing the interaction. “Chen.” He waited for the kid’s eyes to widen, for him to scramble out of the seat he had usurped and beg forgiveness. He’d be lenient today.


“Yeah, I know.”


That lazy, half-assed response wasn’t expected and actually left Jongdae at a loss for words - for a few moments, at least..When he finally recovered he straightened to his full height and looked sharply at the younger boy, a frown marring his fox-like features. He was very aware of the not-so-hushed whispers running through the crowd. This simply wouldn’t do; Kim Jongdae wasn’t going to lose face to some upstart, that was for sure.


He had an image to uphold after all.



“I don’t know where you are from but here we take Chess Club very seriously.”


The blonde’s lips curved into a lazy, Cheshire cat smile.


“Then play me, Chen."


No one just challenged the grandmaster; there were tournaments and formal challenges, all leading up to the privilege to offer Grandmaster Chen a game. If the challenger had jumped through enough hoops and won enough ranked matches Jongdae would consider but that still wasn’t a guarantee for a match. And now here this kid was, some newbie who didn’t even look like he was from around and who looked like he had no idea what chess pieces were, much less the difference between a pawn and the King, here blatantly challenging him to a game. He should just laugh the kid out of the club…


And yet…


That smirk, the casual slouch, the supreme confidence that reminded him of someone else he knew, that lack of respect he knew he deserved...


So much for Mister Nice Guy. He’d mop up the floor with this punk and let him slink away with his tail between his legs. Jongdae hadn’t lost a game in months and that one had been a fluke. The girl had been cute and he’d felt generous. After all, he always had a weakness for a nice . Smirking, he gave a brief nod, surprising the crowd that had gathered around them. “Fine, but get out of my chair and I’m white,” he stated, pointing at the ivory pieces. “I’m not going to take it easy on you.”


The blonde nodded, still with his own lazy smile, stretching his arms above his head as he stood up and took the chair across the table from Chen’s throne. Jongdae didn’t notice the flash of the boy’s tummy as he stretched - really, he didn’t. “I’m Hyuk,” came the cheerful reply to Jongdae’s warning.


Jongdae hummed softly to himself as the board was set. He’d take the kid in 4 moves and put him out of his misery. He confidently moved his queen’s pawn to E4 and sat back. Any amateur would move his corresponding pawn to E5 and this is what he expected Hyuk to do.


But he didn’t. Instead the moved one of his pawns to C5, the action making Jongdae’s jaw drop for a moment before he recovered. Sicilian Defense? That was not expected. It wasn’t an amateur move - it was one that meant Black wasn’t going to just play passively but was going to fight for the center. The Sicilian Defense typically led to a complex and dangerous struggle where both sides could play for a win. This wouldn’t be a 4 move win at all...


A few moves later and Jongdae realized that his fears were right. He hadn’t played a game like this in years, each move he made countered by the blonde. He rested his chin on his hand as he studied the board and planned his next move when he felt it.


When did Hyuk take his shoes off? And why was one sock-clad foot climbing up his leg and towards his crotch?


Jongdae squirmed a little, trying to dislodge the foot - only to find it creeping up his inner thigh and wriggling teasingly. He looked up and met Hyuk’s dark, mischievous eyes. He knew he couldn’t just jump up - there was still a crowd engrossed in the game. Biting his bottom lip he tried to bear it, moving his Queen’s Bishop - only to find it capture by one of his opponent’s pawns.


How had he let that happen?


Hyuk’s toes wriggled once they found their mark and Jongdae bit back a gasp.


Oh yeah, that was how it happened.


The game continued but the crowd soon found the unbelievable happening - Kim Jongdae, also known as Chen, King of the Chess Club - was losing and losing badly, each move becoming more haphazard, the boy making mistakes any amateur would make. They didn’t notice those mistakes barely covering whimpers and moans that Jongdae bit back as Hyuk’s teasing toes made him grow unbearably hard beneath the table. It was dirty...and hot….and dirty and not fair at all.


And then it happened.


“Checkmate.”


Jongdae looked down and blinked, even as he tried desperately not to lose his composure, only to find his King trapped by Hyuk’s Queen. His eyes flickered from one piece to the other, trying to seek a way out - only to realize that the blonde was right. He reached forward and turned his King on its side, reaching over to grab Hyuk’s hand. “We need to go somewhere to talk about your strategy,” he growled out, voice as strained as his pants.


“My pleasure,” purred the new King of the Chess Club. “You got a closet nearby?"