Leaving

New Boy Next Door

 That night a loud sound woke Yunho up. Still with his eyes closed he got up and searched for the light-switch to turn the lights on. While he did so the sound become higher and he started to distinguish voices.

He opened his eyes to search for the origin of the sound and, after the blindness of the sudden excess of light passed, he went to his window.

Immediately he recognized Jaejoong's voice. There was more than on e person screaming inside the blond's house. Most certainly Jae's parents. But the sound came muffled and he couldn't quite understand what was being said. Actually if he wasn't sleeping with his window open and if his room wasn't the only one turned to Jae's house he wouldn't even wake up from the sounds.

The yelling was going on for a while and Yunho was growing worried. Checking his clock he realized it was very early, few minutes before 6a.m. Why were they arguing like that at such hours?

He didn't have time to start conjecturing explanations cause at that precise moment he saw Jaejoong running out of his house, slamming the door behind him, wearing nothing but a t-shirt, sweat pants and slippers.

The blond kept running away of his house and in a matter of minutes was out of sight.

Yunho didn't hesitate and quickly changed his clothes and threw another change of clothes and a pair of snickers into a backpack.

Careful to not wale his parents or his sister he snicked out of his house, went to get his bike and was off to search for Jaejoong.

Why was he so angry? Maybe he's parents want to move again? Where did he go? That stupid jerk, didn't I tell him I had an extra room at my house? Why run away? Jaejoong-ah, where are you?

Yunho's mind was filled with thoughts as his body moved almost automatically and drove the bike through the so familiar streets of the neighborhood.

He was reaching the outskirts of the neighborhood when he finally found a blond messy head of hair picking out in the middle of tall grass. What is he doing sitting in an abandoned garden?

“Hi.” Yunho quickly but silently approached the blond and startled him with his greeting. The other seemed embarrassed to be found in such state. His nose and cheeks were flushed red. He was trying hard not to cry.

“Hi.” Jae simply said.

“Sneaking out to avoid our appointment?”Yunho asked. Jae looked at him confused. “He agreed we would go to the city today, right? But apparently you're ditching me. Good thing I caught you.” The brunette explained and kept talking while smiling. He wasn't gonna force Jae to talk about what happened but he couldn't just leave him there either.

“Oh right...”

“You know is really stupid to go out of the house in the clothes you sleep in. You may think of yourself as a fashionista but this is a bit to much.” Yunho kept joking but only managed to earn a nod from Jae. He threw the backpack at Jae, told him to change and got up and turned away to give the blonde some privacy.

“My father saw the papers.” Jae started and Yunho hang on to his every word. “He came home late yesterday and went to check me in my room and saw the school admission papers I had in my desk.” Yunho quickly understood that was the theme of their argument. “I heard noisy in my room so I woke up. He asked me what those papers were and I told him. It was no secret after all. I was gonna tell him and mom today anyways. But he quickly said, without giving it another thought, that we wouldn’t be here by the time school starts. We're going back to Busan.” the blond made another pause and Yunho could here the sounds of him changing his clothes. “I snapped and screamed at him that I'm tired of moving around because of his work and told him that a good father wouldn't make a son go through that. He screamed that a good father does his best to give his family all he can and that it is why he works so hard at his job and it's why we move around so much.” another pause. “From that the arguing got bigger and bigger and I stormed out of the house like a madman.”

Jae passed the backpack back to Yunho and thanked him for the clothes. They looked a bit big in the slightly smaller boy but he looked good never the less.

“You know I was serious. You can stay here even if they go.” Yunho said in all seriousness looking deeply into the older boy's eyes.

Jae smiled softly:

“I might just take that offer.”

A long silence followed. But this time it wasn't awkward. It was comfortable. Both boys had their minds full of thoughts. The silence was welcomed.

Yunho was the first to say something:

“Why were you sitting here?”

“Oh... I figured my parents would come looking for me. I was trying to hide.”

“I could see your blond hair shinning in the sun from a mile from here.” Yunho pointed Jae's bad hiding skills. The other laughed:

“Jiji does that a lot. Thinks it's hiding very well but I can see it from the other side of the house.”

“Yes, like a cat. Your definitely unpredictable like a cat.” Yunho agreed.

Jae chuckled and got up:

“We should go. That trip to the city will have to be done another day.”

Yunho could see how dark Jae's expression became when he talked about going back home. He didn't like to see the other like that.

“Not necessarily.” Yunho mumbled and grabbed Jae's wrist, pulling the blond alongside him.

 

 

 

“Are you gonna just leave your bike there?” Jaejoong asked as Yunho kept dragging him away.

“It's not like someone will steal it. If you didn't notice the rest of our neighbors are mostly elders. Don't worry bout it.”

“But... but where are we going?” Jae asked, stuttering a bit, as Yunho pulled him into the bus that had just stopped in the bus stop of that street.

Without answering, the brunette bought two tickets from the bus driver and walked to two empty seats at the back of the bus, followed closely by Jaejoong.

“We are still going to the city aren't we?” the blond asked and Yunho answered with a positive nod. “I should warn you I don't have any money with me.” Yunho rolled his eyes disregarding what the other just said. “At least we should warn someone we're not going back home for a while.”

“Hmm, right. I forgot my phone. Let's just call them from a payphone once we arrive.” Yunho suggested