The Project

First Love

Hyukjae has been banging his head for the last two weeks to think of a way to finally confess his feelings to Donghae. This has been going on for too long.

He had a feeling that if he didn't come clean with his feelings to Donghae soon, he would never have the guts to do it.

The only problem at the moment was that he had no idea how. Many ideas came to mind, but he was too scared to actually go with any of them. He found out he was definitely not so confident when it came to a certain brunette.

Every good idea that came to mind had shivers running down his spine and all blood rushing to his face. And oh boy, did he feel like the biggest loser possible! He was popular, right? He wasn't supposed to get all shy and flustered over thinking of confessing his feelings to someone.

Ugh, but Donghae wasn't just anyone. He was smart and he had the most beautiful, deep brown eyes he had ever seen and he had his head spinning just by thinking about him. He was perfect. And Hyukjae was scared he was a bit too perfect for him.

He was determined he had to do it, though. It was their senior year, which meant it was his last chance. In just a few months they would graduate and go on their separate ways, probably never seeing each other again. The thought made Hyukjae cringe.

It was now or never. And he didn't like the thought of the latter.

So even if he felt like dying every time he thought about confessing, he had to do it.

After a few more days passed and he still had no idea how to ask Donghae, he was so frustrated he decided to ask one of his friends.

"Hyung, what is a good way to confess to someone?" he blurted out, while walking to his next class with his best friend.

Junsu turned to look at him and raised an eyebrow. "Woah, Hyukjae, do you like someone?" he asked amusedly, instead of actually answering the other boy's question.

"Uh, no." Hyukjae was fast to decline. "I'm just asking." He was blushing. He knew Junsu would see right through him anyway, he was one of the few people who could read Hyukjae like an open book. He was even surprised he had managed to keep his crush on one Lee Donghae a secret from him for so long. He knew Junsu wouldn't make it a big deal if he found out he liked another guy, he didn't care about things like that, but he wasn't ready to answer his questions yet. "You know... hypothetically." he added.

"well... hypothetically.." he began slowly, a sly smile on his lips, proof that he didn't buy a single word Hyukjae said, "there are a lot of ways you could do it. It depends on the person you would be confessing to. If you could give me an example it would be way easier for me to answer your question. Hypothetically, of course." The smile tugging at his lips had turned to a teasing one and his eyes had Hukjae already blushing like a school girl. Should he tell him? He knew Junsu could actually be of great help to him. It's not like he was a player or anything, but he definitely had more love experience than him. 'Oh, god, I'm such a loser.' hyukjae thought, reminding himself of his practically zero experience when it came to things like that.' Oh well, here goes nothing.' he sighed as he decided to come clean to his friend.

"Lee Donghae." he said, more like whispered, not wanting anyone else to hear the precious name. It came out barely audible, he wasn't sure even Junsu heard it. He hoped he did though, because he wasn't sure he had the courage to repeat it. He felt himself blush even more as he waited for any sort of reaction from the boy beside him.

Junsu's steady pace faltered for a second and Hyukjae could tell he was not expecting him to say a guy's name. For that one second his mind filled with fear that his friend would maybe not except his choice, that he would yell at him that he's out of his mind and that he had to come to his senses and find himself a girlfriend instead. He feared Junsu would look at him with disappointment and disgust and that he would tell him they couldn't be friends anymore.

All those fears died down though, when he heard a light chuckle. A light and hearty chuckle coming from no other than the guy next to him, his best friend since kindergarten. He let out a breath he didn't know he was holding, suddenly realising how stupid he was for thinking even for a second that Junsu was going to treat him  like this in the first place. He felt like slapping himself for not trusting his friend as much as he should.

"Oh, so this is the one who's got you all gooey and blushing like a school girl." he teased. "I gotta give it to you though, he is most certainly cute even from a guy's point of view. I think I had Literature with him last year." He kept on, the teasing smile never leaving his face.

Hyukjae just kept blushing, not knowing what to say to that. He knew Donghae was nothing short of beautiful and perfect, but he hadn't expected for Junsu to say something like that with such ease. Hell, Hyukjae was blushing when he only thought about the brunette, let alone if he had to actually voice his admiration.

Junsu chuckled at the sight of his best friend acting this way. It was unusual, but in a good way. He couldn't help but be happy that his Hyukjae had finally found someone. And he was even happier to be able to deem that someone as worthy of his friend's affection. He may not know that Lee Donghae personally, but what he knew about him and seeing the boy's face, he could already tell he was a nice person. Donghae was the type not to get into trouble, he knew him as one of the smart kids in class and he had that nice-guy presence around him.

"Okay, okay, I promise not to tease you anymore." Junsu finally decided it's time to stop and get serious about the matter at hand. He genuinely wanted to help as best as he could.

"So, why don't you start by telling me all about him and how did this all start?" Junsu continued, being extremely curious as to how his best friend got his adorable little crush.

"Well, to be honest I don't really know him that well." Hyukjae began, a little shyly. "I can't say we've talked all that much." He continued with a small frown adorning his features. "He does smile at me in the hallways, though." He added quickky, and a small smile crept on his face, as if that was some great accomplishment.

"What?" Junsu asked, a disbelieving look on his face. "What do you mean? Then how the hell do you know you like the guy if you haven't talked to him? How do you know you like him as a person?" Junsu was quick to bombard him with questions.

"It's not like we haven't talked at all." Hyukjae tried to defend himself. "We talked a little bit at Chemistry last year, but he's extremely shy and I was an idiot so I didn't press any harder to try and get close to him." He trailed off, ashamed of his own stupidity.

Junsu sighed dramatically, trailing his hand down his face in a mix of desperation and secondhand embarrassment. Sometimes he wondered how it was humanly possible for someone as popular as Hyukjae to be so timid.

"Ah, Hyuk, what will you ever do without me?" He clicked his tongue. Hyukjae may be smart and a straight A student, but when it came to love, he was the most clueless guy Junsu had ever seen. He had only had one girlfriend in his entire life and Junsu wasn't even sure it counted, as the two were close friends beforehand and had broken it off claiming that they certainly weren't made to be a couple after barely a week and a half of being together.

“Listen to me, Hyukjae. I’ll assume you’re not that big of an idiot and you already know that the guy probably doesn't even have the slightest idea that you like him. Unless he is a psychic.” Junsu laughed teasingly. “Which he most likely isn’t.” He decided to add hurriedly, in case his friend was dumb enough to actually take it as a legit suggestion. 'Better to be safe than sorry.' He thought.

Hyukjae grunted. Junsu wasn't of big help. He had figured that part out on his own already. He just didn’t know how to approach Donghae and make a move. For Christ’s sake, he didn’t even have a move. He was so pathetic and he knew it. Who would have thought the most popular and loved guy in the entire school would be scared less to confess his feelings to someone. And oh god, how shocked would everyone be if they were to find out that this someone was in fact a guy. Hyukjae was willing to bet his whole collection of original One Piece figurines that this would be the school's most scandalous gossip during the whole year.

"Look, Hyukjae," Junsu continued his lecture after seeing the dejected look on his friend's face. "There is a really easy way to get out of this situation and you know it."

"What is it?"

"You just have to get to know him first, stupid." Junsu exclaimed.

Oh.

"Ugh, yes I know that, but how do you expect me to go about this?  Like, I can't just go up to him and be 'hi, do you remember me? We were chemistry lab partners a year ago. Do you wanna hang out?' That would make me look so dumb." Hyukjae grumbled with a confused expression. He really had no idea how to approach the adorable brunette.

"Well, yeah, maybe not like that." Junsu replied, deciding that his friend had a point. That would be too weird and most likely would creep the other boy out.

The two had stopped in front of their classroom when suddenly the boys felt two arms wrap around their shoulders and a girl with slim body and light blonde hair jumped inbetween them.

"What are you two dorks whispering about? " the girl asked with a cheeky smile on her lips.

Hyukjae was just about to tell her it wasn't any of her business, but apparently he wasn't fast enough.

"Hyukjae here," Junsu began in a fake whisper, leaning towards the girl as if he was going to tell her some big secret, while said boy started frantically waving his hands in Junsu's direction to indicate he didn't want the girl to know. But he knew it was useless. "has a crush." Junsu giggled, while Hyukjae slumped his shoulders in defeat.

The girl chuckled as well and turned her head towards Hyukjae with gleaming eyes and something resembling a smirk on her lips.

"Aww, Hyukjae, that's so sweet. Who is the lucky guy?" She asked slyly, waiting for the realization to hit the poor boy on her left.

Hyukjae blushed like a tomato and fixated his eyes on the floor which suddenly looked like the most interesting thing he's ever seen until the blonde's words finally sank in.

"Wait, what?" His head shot up and stared at her in a way that only made her more certain that she had guessed right.

She just chuckled again and shook her head.

"Ah, Hyuk, you're no fun. I thought you would at least try to deny it first." She faked a sigh.

"B-but how d-did you know?" Was all Hyukjae could ask in a stutter. What if he was way too obvious about his little crush and everyone knew already?!

"Oh well, there had to be some reason you and I didn't work out. And, well, since it wasn't me, then it had to be you. I just figured you liking guys was the most reasonable option." She said with a proud smile on her face as if she had just deducted the biggest mystery of mankind.

"Oh no, Hyo, I think you got that part wrong. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with you being crazy." Hyukjae was quick to shot back.

Hyoyeon laughed and patted Hyukjae on the shoulder.

"Nah, I'm so fabulous everyone wants me and you all know it. You just don't understand me." She replied over-dramatically with a flip of her hair which accidentally hit Hyukjae in the face.

Hyukjae chuckled while ruffling Hyoyeon's hair, who grunted, mumbling something about Hyukjae trying to take away her fabulousness by making her hair messy.

To people who didn't know them well it often seemed like the two were constantly bickering and throwing insults at one another but in reality that was just how their friendship was. They both knew each other for long enough to know they didn't mean any of it. It was just the way they joked around.

Hyoyeon was Hyukjae's friend ever since first grade. They were so alike, Hyukjae considered her a sister. They had similar personalities - both being outgoing and making friends easily- and they both shared a passion for dancing, which was in fact how they met. Their parents had signed both of them up for dancing classes after school and the two had hit it off immediately.

So once they grew up, they easily came to the conclusion that if they're such good friends then they would certainly make a great couple. But, oh well, it didn't really work out that way. It was weird since they did it all the time when they were just friends, but they both realized even the simplest skinship such as holding hands was gross and weird for them when it was supposed to have more meaning than that in a friendly way, let alone for kissing. They tried. It was a chaste kiss, their lips barely touching, none of them making a move. It was an exact replica of one of those idiotic jpg drama kisses that everyone laughs at. The awkwardness in the air between them in that moment had been unbearable. When they had broken it off they both laughed it off and Hyoyeon had gone all 'well, nope dude, that ain't going to work out.' To which Hyukjae could only nod in agreement.

They quickly went back to being just friends without fussing over it all that much. There was always someone to remind them of those times, but they would just shrug it off and call it one of their 'weird phases'.

Soon after that Hyukjae had met Donghae at Chemistry class and from then on it was all over. He hadn't looked at another person - and specifically not another girl - ever again.

"Hey, Earth to Hyukjae!!" Hyoyeon shouted in his ear and waved her hands in front of his face, successfully bringing him back from his trip down memory lane.

He pushed her hands away wanting to make a remark about her almost gouging his eyes out.

"So, you didn't tell me who the guy was." She said with a pout on her lips.

"Ew, stop doing that. It's disgusting." He and Junsu both made gagging sounds at her.

"No, it's not. Everyone tells me I'm super-duper cute when I do it. You're aw- wait, no! Do not try to distract me and change the subject, Lee Hyukjae!!" She raised her voice like a mother scolding her child.

Even though he considered Hyoyeon his best friend - along with Junsu of course; the guy wouldn't let that title be taken away from him by Hyoyeon - he was scared to tell her. It was stupid. He knew he could trust her. He wasn't scared of telling her, but more of what she might do with that information. Hyukjae wasn't entirely kidding when he said she was crazy. In fact, he wouldn't put it past her to run and search for Donghae to tell him just how much Hyukjae liked him the minute she found out who he was.

"You promise not to tell?" Hyukjae asked hesitantly, knowing that no matter the answer, she would manage to get the name of the pretty brunette out of him.

"Oh my god, of course, Hyuk. Who do you think I am? Gossip girl?!"

"Haha, very funny. Well, I would say you're not the best at keeping secrets." Junsu noted.

"What? What are you talking about? I'm great at keeping secrets!" The girl almost shouted, taken aback by Junsu's sudden accusation.

"Yeah, right. Remember that one time I skipped school and I told you to tell Mr. Kim that I was sick and you just went there and started blabbering about how sick I was and not at all skipping school to go and play video games at a PC room." Junsu growled. Apparently he was still mad about that.

"That's not the same thing! I am just a bad liar." Hyoyeon tried to defend herself.

"Okay, okay, I'll tell you. Just promise not to scream it to the whole school afterwards." Hyukjae gave up, just wanting it to be over soon.

"Gee, I promise. Now tell me!" The girl demanded, eager to find out who this guy was.

"His name is Lee Donghae." Hyukjae finally said, waiting for a sign of recognition from his friend which never came. She seemed to be in deep thought, probably scanning through her brain to put a face to the name.

"He has brown hair and the most adorable big chocolate brown eyes." Hyukjae said dreamily. "He's around the same height as me and wears glasses." Hyukjae decided to help freshen her memmory, a small smile tugging at his lips at the mere thought of the other boy.

"Oh, oh, oh!" She finally exclaimed with her pointer finger shooting upwards and a bright smile lighting up her whole face. "I know him. Wasn't he your lab partner in chemistry last year?"

"Yeah, that's him."

"I remember thinking you two had a lot of chemistry going on, pun intended." She giggled at her own joke.

"Yeah, so Hyukjae here was just asking me to give him some advice on how to confess to him." Junsu butted in, wanting to get this over with soon and get inside the classroom already, as the bell was going to ring any minute now.

"Oh, well why don't you just ask him out and see how things work out from there?" Hyoyeon suggested, Hyukjae could tell she was way more excited about this than she should be.

"Yeah, Miss Matchmaker, it's not that easy. It would be too weird. I mean, we haven't even talked properly." Hyukjae practically whined the last part.

"Ugh, Hyukjae, you and your stupid shyness are going to be the end of me, I swear." Hyoyeon - much like Junsu earlier - exclaimed in an overly dramatical manner, holding onto her neck like some old lady.

Just then the first bell rang, indicating that the students should head into their classrooms.

"Well why don't we get together after school and we'll figure something out. I will not forgive myself if I let your stupidity get the best of you and let you die a loner. It can be out secret mission. We'll call it the 'Getting Lee Donghae to Like You' project." She beamed at Hyukjae and then sprinted towards her classroom, not leaving the boys a chance to reply.

They both stared after her for a moment after which Hyukjae shook his head, knowing that once an idea got stuck into Hyoyeon's head it was basically impossible to make her drop it.

So he figured he might as well go for it and that she could actually help. Nothing could go wrong, right? 

 

.

.

.

A/N

well let's just say that i changed quite a lot of things about this story, sue me!

Beware, this is not proofread!! I just decided that if i did, i would just end up rewriting the whole thing.. just like what happens every ing time i decide to re-read a chapter

i know i haven't updated this or anything else for that matter, but in my defense I've been trying to balance both work and college + my constant mood swings.. it's not easy to write. I just wanted to say sorry to everyone who had been waiting for an update and to thank those who didn't unsubscribe, it means a lot <33

please leave a comment if you liked it or not. I feed on comments. You wouldn't want me to starve now would you? xdd