When I Saw You

First Love

Life in high school was nothing close to simple and easy. Well unless your name was Lee Hyukjae - or Eunhyuk as how everyone called him.

He was smart, popular, athletic, coming from a rich family, outgoing. He had tons of friends and even more people who wished they were his friends. He was kind-hearted and always nice to people. That’s probably the biggest reason as to why he was so loved by everyone. The list of his undeniably impressive qualities was so long, that it made him appear flawless in the eyes of the whole population of his school.

Hyukjae never craved for the attention everybody was throwing at him, though. He wasn’t trying to impress anyone when he had gotten into high school. He expected to just enjoy a quiet and normal school life there, but gradually he became everybody’s favorite. His schoolmates constantly praised him for his good looks and talent in sports, he started getting letters from girls, pushed inside his locker, in which they confessed their undying love for him and even some of the teachers seemed to give him special treatment sometimes. He never asked for it, but it was just how things were and he was used to it by now.

Little did all of Eunhyuk’s schoolmates who practically worshipped him know that Hyukjae had a tiny bit of a problem; a problem no one except him knew about.

His seemingly perfect life wasn’t really all that perfect. He had one secret, one thing that has been haunting him ever since that one moment.

He was a senior in high school and with his enormous popularity, good looks and all the girls who were squealing every time they had a glimpse of him, you would guess he’d had more than a dozen of girlfriends by now. Well you guessed wrong.

No matter how hard he tried, he just couldn’t feel attracted to any of the girls he knew.

 Another thing about him that not much people knew about was the fact that he was the so called ‘hopeless romantic’. He was looking for a girl who was going to make his heart race the second he laid his eyes on her and who was going to send butterflies to his stomach by the mere thought of her. That was the kind of feeling he was so unyieldingly looking for.

But that’s when his not so little problem kicks in.

It was in the beginning of last year. He had chemistry and the teacher had oh-so-kindly paired everyone for lab exercises. He had paired them alphabetically and that’s how he met him. Lee Donghae.

The moment he had sat next to his lab partner and glanced at him for the first time he felt dizzy, even though the room was not spinning. He felt how his heart stopped and then began beating so quickly, it was going to explode. He could hear it beating loudly in his ears and for a moment he had thought everyone else in the room could hear it as well. His hands had become sweaty for no apparent reason and he had wondered if he was okay.

In that one moment in which their eyes met, it was all over. Hyukjae had been so drawn to the big deep chocolate brown eyes looking back at him, he had lost touch with reality. The butterflies in his stomach refused to stop their rapid movements and he couldn’t comprehend what was happening to him.

It wasn’t rational. He had been so far gone into the overwhelming emotions that he was yearning to experience and he felt for the first time in his life, that he didn’t want it to ever end.

The teacher’s voice had slowly pulled him back to the noise filling the classroom and he had realized he was staring at the boy who was sitting next to him looking back at Hyukjae ever so awkwardly. He had probably been weirded out by the way he’d been staring at him. 

And Hyukjae felt like he should say something to wash away the dumb first impression he’d already made.

He had managed to make his lips curl up in somewhat a shy smile, even though he still felt dizzy just by looking at the guy’s face.

“Hi.” He had mumbled, while trying to control his erratic breathing.” My name is Hyukjae.” He had extended his hand, wanting nothing more than to feel any kind of physical contact with the boy, as if he wasn’t sure he was even real.

“Hey.” The guy had caught his hand with his, squeezing it lightly. The moment they touched, he had felt the electricity traveling to every cell in his body; the feeling of the boy’s warm and soft hand in his had made him incredibly happy even though he didn’t know why then. He had had the sudden feeling he didn’t ever want to let go of it, but after a second thought he had decided that probably wasn’t the best way to go. ”I’m Donghae.” He had heard the boy reply.

‘Lee Donghae’ he had repeated the beautiful name in his head.

He had managed a small smile before finally freeing Donghae’s hand from his grasp.

 

And that was it for Hyukjae’s care-free life. From then onwards he seemed to be completely and undeniably under the spell of the cute brunette with whom he exchanged a few shy smiles and short conversations during Chemistry.

Now, in the present, he was fully aware why he had that mind-blowingly strong reaction towards a certain Lee Donghae, but back in the days he was nothing more than confused. He didn’t ever think he would find himself attracted to another guy, so when it happened – it hit him hard.

He spent most of his time in denial, which was something Hyukjae now realized was stupid, though probably normal.

During all that time until now, he never tried to do something to win the other boy’s affection or anything of the sort.

He wanted to, oh yes he most certainly did. But he was also scared; scared because expressing his feelings for the brunette equaled announcing his by far biggest secret to all of his friends and schoolmates, and even worse - his parents.

But at the same time he felt like dying every day that passed in which he couldn’t get close to the one he wanted to be with every living second of his life. His heart clenched both with adoration and pain whenever he got a glimpse of that chocolate brown hair he had learned to recognize from a mile away somewhere in the school grounds.

He craved for his happiness and there were moments in which he just wanted to scream to everyone in the school just how much whipped he was by that one Lee Donghae.

Another issue for him was that he didn’t even have the slightest idea whether the other felt remotely the same way he did.

Donghae always smiled at him whenever they passed each other in the hallway and sometimes even offered a small greeting but nothing more. They barely even talked at all during Chemistry, since the other seemed to be rather shy as Hyukjae had come to notice. 

Donghae would always blush and look away in that adorable manner that had Hyukjae’s heart doing flips whenever he tried to start a conversation with the other or simply smiled at him.

For Hyukjae though, none of that was any sort of confirmation of Donghae’s feelings. He was used to people always paying more than enough attention to him. There wasn’t a minute in which someone wasn’t greeting him in the hallways, there wasn’t a person not to smile at him as they saw him.

Donghae wasn’t just anyone though. Ever since he first laid his eyes on the other, he had become the only person to get his whole and entire attention. He was always looking to get a glimpse of him in school, just to see his face for a second; he felt light whenever the other gave him one of his shy smiles and he always smiled softly back at him.

No one else ever managed to get Hyukjae’s attention as Donghae did. And that was only more proof of just how whipped and powerless in his infatuation with the lovely brunette he really was.  

He was well aware that he had to man up and do something about it. Soon. He knew that if he wanted to be happy, he had to at least try and see for himself whether Donghae would return his feelings or not. He knew that there was no one else who could make him feel the same way the adorable brunette did. Donghae was his own confirmation that love at first sight was real and he was experiencing it right now. He didn’t want to miss it because he knew that if he did, he was going to regret it.

But Hyukjae wasn’t confident to try and do something to win the other. He was a coward when it came to Donghae and he wasn’t sure if he was ready to face the probable rejection that could follow if he confessed his feelings. 

 

 

A/N

First part is up! 

Sorry I didn't post it sooner, but I wanted to edit it, since it was kinda roughly drafted. 

I'm not sure yet, but this may turn into a three-shot depending on how it turns out after I edit the second part.

Anyway, the second part will be up soon ;)

 

Comments are always appreciated