Chapter 23

Found Lost Love

EunBi followed her sister into the house after a long day at the hospital for her monthly checkup. Her mood was alright in the morning when she woke up, but when her eye doctor announced something that she didn't want to believe right now, her mood came crashing down. She sighed and walk up to her room, she slide down her door after closing it and stared at the wall. She knew this day would come soon, she knew her eyes was never in a good condition and was getting worse. She wrapped her arms around her knees and buried her head into it.

She bit her bottom lip as the words JungKook said to her last night flashed through her head. Every time we get closer and more comfortable with each other, something has to happen pull our friendship part and place is back at the starting point. She lift up her head and leaned it against the door. Every time. She thought.

After sitting on the floor for a while, her body started to ach, she pulled herself up and crashed into her bed, thinking maybe a nap could help her feel more better. She turned and tossed and couldn’t fall asleep at all, every time she closed her eyes she would think, “Ah, this is how it feels like not being able to see things,” and it made her feel small and empty. She sat up and took a deep breath, she had been prepared for this day to come years ago, but right now she couldn’t get it into her head, she wouldn’t believe she was really going to lose her visions soon even though she could see perfectly fine right now.

EunBi grabbed her phone from her nightstand and look at the time, it was only five in the afternoon, but her mind was already filled with thoughts that could happen in the future, something that could possibly happen months later, tomorrow, or even minutes later.

None of the thoughts were pretty, they were all awful. She could feel her heart no longer beating to live but for time to pass, but the time was passing so slow she can’t help it but continue to wonder about her future, wondering how awful and dark it would be. She wouldn’t be able to see anything, everything would just be black, it was worse than just black and white.

She tossed her phone onto her pillow and covered her whole body with her blanket. If everything’s going to be black, why not get used to it first? She thought and breathed heavily under her blanket.

 

//

JungKook wiped the sweat off of his forehead with his wet shirt, he wasn’t feeling as tired as he would usually, he felt energetic and could probably dance for another two or three hours non-stop. He smiled and glanced over at all his dead hyungs, he couldn't help it but smile even bigger watching them struggle to get up from the floor.

He walked over to his bag and took out his phone, he hasn’t seen EunBi the whole day, since there wasn’t much schedules, plus EunJoo had already said she was taking a day off today. He pressed the home button, and just when he was about to unlock his phone, Jimin called him. “Pass me some water.” JungKook eyed the water bottle in front of his and rolled it over to the boy that was still lying on the floor. He turned his attention back to his phone, he tilt his head at his phone as if something was trying to stop him from unlocking his phone to text EunBi, but he shrugged and unlocked it anyways.

JungKook found their conversation and looked at the time and paused, wondering if it would be a good idea to text her right now, since it was already quiet late. His brain split into two different sides, one team says yes to texting her, and the other says no. He hates when his head does this to him, because that means the decision was all up to him.

He didn’t know if EunBi would be sleeping already or not, if she was, he didn’t want to wake her up, but at the same time he wanted to meet up with her somewhere and just enjoy their time. He puffed out his cheeks and typed out the message but his finger stopped before he could click send. What if I wake her up? He thought and moved his finger away from the button. He sighed and sat down on the floor, everyone was packing up and ready to leave. “JungKook, what are you doing? Are you not going to leave?” Jin asked. JungKook glanced up at him and thought for a few seconds. “Nah, I think I’m going to stay here for a while.”

Jin nodded and waved goodbye before leaving the room with the other members. JungKook blinked at his phone. I guess I have to send it even if she’s asleep, since everyone’s gone. JungKook thought and pressed the send button. He placed his phone on top of his bag and walked started to practice more for a while.

It might also be a better idea to ask her to come when everyone’s already gone, they could spend time alone and make more memories together, like what they used to do when they were friends before.

 

//

EunBi opened her eyes after a long but not so relaxing sleep, she was still not in a good mood. She rubbed her eyes and picked up her phone to check the time, but something else caught her eyes. There was a text message sent from JungKook few minutes before, she looked at his name and smiled a little. Even though it’s only been a day not seeing him, she still missed him as if it’s been a year. She unlocked her phone to read the message.

 

Come to the practice room!!

 

EunBi raised her eyebrow at the message, even though the company was just a few minutes away from her house but it was quite late and dark to go outside, alone.

 

Are you still there?

 

She stared at her phone and waited for him to text back. Minutes passed but he still didn’t reply, she let out a silence groan. She hated when he never replies it makes her feel like she was the annoying one, and most of the time she would just forget about it, but this time she was waiting for him patiently, because she wanted to see him as well.

She let out a loud sigh as more minutes passed by, she wasn’t going to wait anymore but she was also not going to go yet, so she called him to make sure he wasn’t sleeping in the dorm. EunBi prayed that he would pick up and tell her he was still at the practice room.

“EunBi!” JungKook shouted over the loud music playing in the back. She pulled the phone further away from her ears, she didn’t even need to ask if he was still at the practice room anymore, because of the loud music playing she was hundred percent sure he was still there.

EunBi heard a few mumbles from the other end but she couldn’t hear any proper words. “Can you turn the music down or turn it off?” She asked and waited. Soon the loud music was gone and it was quiet and peaceful.

“Are you coming?” JungKook asked. EunBi looked over at her closed curtains, there was nothing shinning in besides the small street lights. “It’s late,” she said but her body got up and walked over to her closet.

“Okay then. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.” EunBi pulled her phone away from her and giggled quietly, his voice sounded so disappointed it made her mood just a tiny bit better. “I didn’t say I wasn’t going, I just said it was late.”

JungKook let out a small laugh, EunBi can just imagine him laughing at himself for being tricked. “Don’t go yet, I’ll be there in a few minutes,” she said and hung up.

Eunbi changed into a more comfortable outfit and quietly opened her door, trying to not make a single sound. She glanced down the hall and made sure her sister’s bedroom light was off and it was absolutely quiet downstairs. She gripped tightly onto her phone and tiptoed towards the stairs, it wasn’t her first time sneaking out the house in the middle of the night to see JungKook, she used to do this a lot when she was little, but it wasn’t technically sneaking out, it was more like walking twenty steps away from her house, but she knew how to not make any noise.

Before leaving the house, she grabbed a bag of crackers from the cabinet and headed out the door as fast as she could. Thinking of JungKook made her mood better and got her mind off of her problems. She skipped down the street and twirled in circles, she felt like a little child. If she had a time machine, she would go back to her childhood, when JungKook and her were best friends and pause it there, she would enjoy the freedom they used to have, sneaking out in the middle of the night, getting into troubles with their parents, and all the other things they did together.

 

EunBi arrived at the front of the company a few minutes later, she went inside and greeted the lady that was at the counter. The lady gave her a surprised look but smiled and nodded her head at her. EunBi made her way up the stairs, there were still some people in the company, she greeted a few people but continued to walk toward BangTan’s practice room. The light of the practice room was still on and there was a faint sound of music playing from the closed door, she smiled and fast walked over. She giggled a little and peaked into the room from the outside. She frowned when she saw only JungKook in there. She opened the door, the loud music was louder than usual. She shook her head and walked into the room. JungKook stopped dancing and turned off the music, he smiled and eyed the snack in her hand. EunBi followed his eyes and chuckled when she realize he was looking at the food in her hand. She tossed it over to him. “You should play the music quieter next time, it’s way too loud.”

JungKook gave her a soft smile and sat down on the floor, he patted the empty space beside him and ripped open the bag. EunBi plopped down next to him and watch him finish the bag of crackers in a second. “You should’ve told me you were hungry, I could’ve brought more food,” she blinked at the empty bag.

“I actually have more food in my bag,” he laughed and stood up. He came back with his bag and sat back down.

EunBi watched him pull out all the junk food out of his bag with a few toys he got from the fans. She looked at all the food in front of her, surprised. “You bring all these food with you all the time?”

JungKook nodded and took out more, he tilt his head and put some back. “I’m not in the mood of eating these though,” he said and stuffed more back into his bag. EunBi looked at him and let out a small laugh. “Why’d you take them all out then?”

“I was going to eat them, but then I didn’t feel like it after taking them out,” he said and zipped his bag closed, leaving just one bag of cracker and a toy.

EunBi picked up the toy and laughed at it, it was the smaller version of Crocodile Dentist. She covered but continued to laugh at it. “Why do you have this in your bag?”

JungKook opened the bag and grabbed the crocodile away from her. “Cause it’s fun!” he said and started pressing down the teeth. EunBi watched his finger move from on teeth to another, but it didn’t take him more than five teeth to cause the crocodile to close its mouth.

EunBi giggled and took the crocodile away from him. She was even more nervous playing it than watching, and the sound of JungKook munching made her even more nervous, there was only four left and she didn’t know which one to pick. “This one,” Jungkook pointed at the the one at the very back. She looked at him and decided to trust him, but she regretted it right when the crocodile closed its mouth on her finger. She turned and slapped JungKook’s arm playfully, he held onto his arm and gave him and a painful look, but smiled after. He popped more crackers into his mouth and restarted the game.

They continued on playing the game as the time slowly passed by, they were so concentrated EunBi had forgot about the time and JungKook had forgot about his stomach growling. After the last game, JungKook laid down and started to roll around, screaming in hunger. “You have a bag of junk food to eat,” EunBi tilt her head at his bag, but her hands were still playing with the crocodile.

“No, I want pizza,” he sat up and looked over at EunBi, but she didn’t spare him a glace. He took the toy away from and grabbed his bag and her hand. “What are you doing?” she asked and followed his footstep out of the practice room.

“Going to go eat some pizza, with you,” he turned around and smiled and let go her.

“With me?”

“Yeah, with you,” he smiled at her again and walked down the stairs.

 

The two of them headed out the company door and towards the restaurant JungKook recommended. There was barely anyone on the street, and most of the stores were closed, EunBi didn’t believe it when JungKook told her the restaurant they were going would still be open at this time, but as they got closer to the more popular place, they began to see more and more people. EunBi shoved her hands into her pocket and looked straight ahead, and JungKook pushed his hat lower and pulled his hood over his head. They could feel the eyes focusing on them as they walk down the street, and to lessen the pressure they were receiving from the stares, EunBi decided to start a conversation. “Why were you the only one left at the practice room?”

“I was practicing, and waiting for you,” he said but mumbled the last part. EumBi glanced up at him and shook her head with a small smile on her face.

 

//

The two of them sat quietly at the table waiting for JungKook’s order to come. JungKook watch EunBi’s eyes grew tired, he smiled at the different sauces beside him and grabbed the spiciest one and put some on his spoon. He moved the spoon to . EunBi opened without any hesitations or asking any questions.

JungKook in his lips, trying not to laugh. EunBi frowned as the taste slowly came out, her eyes shot open and started eyes teared up. “Jeon JungKook! What the hell was that?” He burst into laughter and pushed the container towards her. She stuck out her tongue and started whining. She finished her water and JungKook’s as well.

“That was not nice,” she said, still feeling the spiciness on her tongue. “You were falling asleep,” he said and started laughing again.

“Stop laughing!”

“Your face was priceless.”

“Shut up. It was spicy okay?”

 

The order came a few minutes later, EunBi watched the hungry boy finish his pizza quickly and ordered for more. formed into an ‘o’ as the fourth slice of pizza came. He looked as if mama Jin hasn’t fed them for days.

JungKook stretched his arms out and finished the last bit of his drink. “You got money?” he asked EunBi. She shook her head. “I don’t either.” Her eyes grew big and looked at all the empty plates in front of her. She sat up straight and glanced over at the waiter that was walking towards them. “What are we going to do? Just tell them we can’t pay?” she panicked and looked through her jacket pocket to see if she has at least a few dollars.

JungKook let out a chuckle and pulled his wallet out of his bag. EunBi rolled her eyes at him and let out a revealed sigh. “Can you stop playing around with me?” JungKook didn’t answer her but continued laughing. “What if I said ‘no’?” he smirked and paid for his own meal. EunBi let out a quiet groan and put on her jacket.

 

Once they were done, they headed back onto the street. Jungkook pulled his hood over his head and instead of looking forward, he was looking down at his shoes. EunBi walked just slightly ahead of JungKook to make sure he wouldn’t bump into anyone or anything. She felt like a guide dog, how ironic, since she would be the one who needs one soon.

She spotted a couple walking just a few feet away from them, they had their hands locked and was smiling and laughing, looking just like the normal happy couple. The sight made her jealous, she wonder when would she ever be able to walk on the street, holding JungKook’s hand without having people staring and saying things about her, she wished they could be like the normal couples and just enjoy their time without people looking at them from every direction.

“JungKook!” A girl voice screamed from behind. EunBi paused and turned around, so did JungKook. A few teenage girls came rushing towards them, they stopped in front of JungKook and gave EunBi a weird look, but soon turned their attention back to JungKook. “Can I have your autograph?” one of them asked with the best puppy dog look she could make.

JungKook stood there and stared down at the paper and pen she was holding, he didn’t really want to stand here and waste the time when he could be spending them with EunBi, but he also didn’t want to hurt the fan that was standing right in front of him. His mouth opened but couldn’t manage to say anything.

“Sorry, but we’re in a rush right now, we have to get back to the company as soon as possible,” EunBi said to the fan and slightly pulled JungKook away. The girl looked at EumBi, nothing besides an ‘oh’ came out of , JungKook and EumBi bowed at her and quickly walked away.

JungKook laughed quietly as they fast walked down the street and turned into an empty street. “THey probably really thought you were one of our stylist noonas,” he turned around and pointed at her. “Noona.”

Before she could reply, he grabbed her hand and started running down the empty street. “Where are you taking me again?” she screamed as she tried to keep up with him. “Park! Park! Park!” he repeated. She closed her eyes and sighed, she was tired and wanted to go home, but JungKook was the opposite.

She glanced down at their hands and smiled, even though it wasn’t the way how she wanted to be holding his hand, but it was better than not holding it. She gripped tighter and followed him.

 

//

EunBi’s jaw dropped as she watch the tall teenage boy ran towards the playground, it was her first time watching a teenager running towards a playground. She stood still and watched him climb onto the top and slide down the slide, then she glanced down at the bag he had dropped before running away. She felt like screaming at him to come back and stop being a child, but at the same time she could resists the smile he had on his face, he looked so happy running around by himself she didn’t want to ruin his mood. She picked up his bag and walked to the bench, like a mom looking after her crazy kid, crazy big kid.

She watched JungKook swing back and forth on the monkey bar, and that made her worried. “JungKook, be careful. Don’t fall, I can’t carry you!” she said. A few seconds after she said that, she felt a sudden vibration, but it wasn’t her phone. She looked at JungKook’s bag and searched through it, and without looking at the caller ID she picked it up.

“Jeon JungKook, where are you?” the leader asked. “Oppa!” she said. “JungKook doesn’t want to go, he’s playing on the playground right now.”

“Oh, SuNi? You’re with him?” The others still called her SuNi, it was only JungKook who called her EunBi. “Yeah, he made me come out.”

“Oh, that kid. Well, can you tell him if he’s not in front of my face in two seconds, I’m going to block the dorm door so he can’t come in?” EunBi laughed and agreed to do so, and hung up.

She shouted what the leader ordered to JungKook and waited for him to come back, but instead of hearing either an ‘okay’ or seeing him walking towards her, she heard him scream as if he was falling down.

She stood up and rushed towards the playground as fast as she could, hoping that he didn’t hurt himself. “Jeon JungKook, where are you?” she looked around the playground but JungKook was nowhere to be seen.

“Underneath,” he said in a painful voice. EunBi become more worried and lowered her head, she spotted his head hiding behind a wooden frame-like thing, she rushed over and looked over from the other side of it. “Are you okay?”

He popped his head up and smiled at her, he looked perfectly fine. “Did I scare you?” She collapsed down onto the ground and let out a revealed sigh. “Did I actually?”

“Yes,” she said and looked up at him, her heart was still in beating quickly in the shock mode. “Sorry,” he apologized and looked at her in the eye. EunBi shook her head and looked into his eyes as well, and that’s when her mood suddenly dropped back down to the bottom. She couldn’t imagine not ever being able to see his eyes looking into hers like this, or seeing him smile, or watching him enjoy his free time, or him. She broke away from the eye contact and her dry lips.

JungKook dust off the dirt on the wood. “Doesn’t this look like my room window? In Busan?” EunBi looked up and nodded without even looking at it properly. JungKook looked at her, he didn’t know why she was quiet all the sudden. “After the day I told you that we weren’t friends anymore and told you I was embarrassed to be seen with you, I would always sit beside my window and wait for you to knock on it, but you never came.”

EunBi let out a weak laugh. “I was always standing beside your window too, but I was just too scared to knock again.” JungKook quietly apologized again.

There was a long silence between them, they both have their head rest against the wooded frame and looking into nowhere. EunBi slowly lift her head up and looked at the frame that JungKook said that looks his room window. She looked at it carefully and realized it really did look like his window. She reached her hand and knocked lightly on the edge of it and watched him slowly lift up his head in surprise.

“I have something to tell you,” she said.

“Good or bad?”

“Bad, I guess.” JungKook nodded and waited for her to speak.

“You know about my eyes right?” He nodded again but stayed quiet. “Well, I went to the hospital today and my doctor said it was getting worse even though I can see perfectly fine.”

“And?” JungKook asked. He had a feeling where this conversation was leading to.

“And she said if I want to get a surgery, she told me to go somewhere else.”

JungKook didn’t say a word and looked at her, not staring, just looking. “Are you going to go?”

“I don’t know, I still haven’t made my decis-” JungKook lean over and cut her off with a kiss. She felt her eyes tearing up, she knew telling him would hurt him, but if she leaves without telling him again, it would hurt him even more.

JungKook pulled back and looked down, he didn’t want her to see his watery eyes and make her feel bad for him. “Don’t go, please. Don’t leave me again.” He tried keeping his voice as steady as possible, and tired keeping his tears in his eyes. EunBi look at the top of his head, she was thankful he wasn’t looking up because she could feel tears rolling down her cheeks.

They both knew how much they didn’t want to leave each other again after how far they have come, after all the new memories they made, and after finding each other again.