Timing (age 30)

18 vs 30

“You’re timing is off…Jump on my count okay…1,2,3!”

Woohyun bent his knees, but then abruptly straightened himself. “Wait! Do we jump on three or after?” He scratched the back of his head and asked, “Before?”

“Good point,” Maeri agreed letting go of Woohyun’s hand and fixed her dress. It was heavy, bulky, nearly impossible to jump in, but Maeri was going to try her darnedest to jump. She wanted these  photos to come out spectacular so that years from now, when she and Woohyun were reminiscing and looking back through their wedding photos, he can’t make fun of her for being unable to take off from the ground. She glanced over at him, who was currently jumping up and down on the balls of his feet in his tuxedo. Maeri laughed;  although they were in their wedding grab, they looked like they were about to run a marathon rather than take wedding photos. Both of their expressions were too determined and serious.

And the photographer knew it. “Okay. How about we forget about the jumping? It’s overdone anyways,” Myungsoo suggested. He tightened his grip on the camera as he watched the strange couple in front of him slowly stop stretching. He nodded in thought and came to a conclusion, “Woohyun, why don’t you pick up Maeri and spin her around?”

Woohyun turned to face Maeri and looked her up and down. He pouted. “Do I have to? She’s heavy,” he whined, almost immediately earning a sharp slap on his head.

“You guys really didn’t change one bit," Myungsoo replied with a chuckle and a shake of his head. Maeri and Woohyun looked at each other and shrugged, not knowing what the photographer had meant. "Come on, give it a shot," Myungsoo urged them and gestured at Woohyun to pick up his would-be bride. Woohyun obliged, lifting Maeri up with a grunt. The dress added pounds to her, and Woohyun was suddenly grateful for his rigorous work-out routine or else he probably would have crumbled onto the ground. He then spun his fiancee slowly around in a circle with heavy and clumsy steps. And the both of them were fakely laughing, feigning happiness (because Maeri was afraid that Woohyun was suddenly going to drop her without any notice and Woohyun was straining). Myungsoo winced at the scene in front of him and put down the camera, not wanting to waste any film on this. "Um," he began. The couple immediately turned towards him. Woohyun dropped Maeri onto the ground, and she luckily had expected it and landed on her feet. "The laughing is nice and everything, but what if you laugh like this," Myungsoo demonstrated by laughing normally. "Instead of," Myungsoo then retracted his neck, producing a manifold of neck wrinkles, and laughed awkwardly. The couple nodded and tried again, laughing even more stiffly but with their necks sticking straight out. Myungsoo let out a groan which only grew louder when Maeri slipped from Woohyun's grip and landed on her behind. "And Woohyun, stop dropping her!” the photographer was growing irritated.

Woohyun looked at his former classmate innocently and pointed to Maeri on the ground. “Tell her to lose some weight,” he fought back.

“Myungsoo," Maeri asked sweetly as she got up from the ground and straightened out her dress. "Can we do I picture where I beat the crap out of my loving husband?” She was already mimicking choking her fiance with a happy grin on her face.

Myungsooo put his camera strap on his shoulder and rubbed his eyes. “How about we take five while I go…think of new poses you can do,” he grumbled and then walked away from the couple.

Maeri grimaced and whispered over to Woohyun as she watched Myungsoo kick a nearby tree in frustration, “I think we made him mad.”

“For what we’re paying him, he shouldn’t be getting mad,” Woohyun retorted.

“We’re not paying him anything," Maeri whispered back.  Myungsoo had know slumped under the tree with his head hanging down. She felt bad for wasting the photographer's patience. "This is his wedding gift to us.”

“Oh," Woohyun realized. "Then maybe we should be easier on him," he suggested and looked over at his friend. Maeri was already gipping onto his shoulder as she stumbled into him. Woohyun immediately gripped her at her elbows and lifted her back up. "Yah! You’re looking a bit wobbly. Why don’t you sit down?” he asked, leading her to a bench nearby.

“Yeah," Maeri inhaled sharply as she sat down. "These shoes are killing me." She then tried to bend over, but because of her corset, she could barely move. She looked up at Woohyun who was still standing in front of her with a worried expression. "Can you help me take them off? I can’t bend over. See," Maeri said with a grunt as she displayed the extent of her mobility. All she could to is lift up her feet slightly off the ground and lean forward a couple of inches.

Woohyun chuckled as he bent down onto his knees, bringing down Maeri's legs with him. “Sure," he agreed, smiling back up at her. His friend muttered a brief "thank you," and then Woohyun looked down, really seeing Maeri's dress for the first time. The beading was really intricately done, like little starbursts blooming all over the bottom. The fabric was glistening in the sun, and there were several layers which now peeked under the dresses hem that gave the skirt its voluminous poof. It was beautiful, but it wasn't Maeri. "Did our moms pick out the dress?" he asked. "It’s pretty.”

“It’s a cupcake,” Maeri mumbled as she patted down the poof around her.

“I like cupcakes," Woohyun joked with a chuckle and lifted up the skirt. He then looked down and gasped, "Geez Maeri! Why are you wearing these? They’re too small.” The shoes' straps were cutting into her flesh, and her heel was hanging over the end. Her foot was starting to turn to a slightly bluish hue from lack of blood flow. Woohyun sighed as he started to undo the straps. He didn't know how she was able to last this long without crying out in pain. But then again, giving into pain wasn't exactly Yoo Maeri's style anyways.

“They were, ugh, thanks, my mother’s," she explained as Woohyun took off her first shoe. She rolled her foot and hit it onto the ground to regain feeling into her foot. It felt as if it were being pricked with thousands of pins, but at least there was still some feeling there. "She wore them on her wedding day, and she’s been married to dad for 28 years. I thought it would be a good luck charm, that our marriage would last that long too.” She hummed happily as Woohyun pulled off the other shoe and tossed it aside.

“Our marriage might, but you’re feet won’t," he teased. He lifted one of her feet and inspected it. "We’ll have to cut them off.”

“Eh, I never liked them anyway,” Maeri responded nonchalantly with a shrug. The two of them began laughing, genuinely laughing together for the first time that day

The laughter was soon broken by a shutter of a camera. The couple craned their necks back to see Myungsoo smiling brightly with his camera once again in his hands. “I think I found a solution,” he said proudly.

And that solution was to stage nothing, just to let Maeri and Woohyun act naturally. This not only let their natural smiles shine through, but the photos reflected their relationship better, especially the shots of them whispering to each other and them chasing ducks along the pond's banks and just sitting on the bench with Maeri's head on Woohyun's shoulder. In fact, they turned out so well that Myungsoo was planning to use them for his next exhibition, with permission from his former classmates of course.


“If I don’t go for a higher price than Sungjong, I think I might die of embarrassment,” Sora lamented as she leaned back onto the counter of the auction house. Her arms were crossed over her chest as she narrowed her eyes on the young man standing in front of her.

Sungjong smirked. “Please, it’s not even a contest. I’m younger," he retorted cockily. And then he turned his head to the side as he said under his breath, "And better looking.” Maeri laughed, having heard the aside. Although she was currently the only one of the trio doing work, trying to find the painter of the painting that they had recently acquired, and the other two were busy debating about the charity auction that weekend. It was going to be different than their other auctions because not only were items up for sale, but dates as well, and Sungjong and Sora  (only with other volunteers) had been roped into it. Now Sora was starting to realize that she might be outsold by the house's recent hire, which would be a hit to her inflated ego (she had gone for the highest price in the previous years).

“He’s got a point," an older voice spoke, coming out of the backroom. Maeri jumped out of shock and turned to see Debah, her employer, coming out from the shadows of their storage room. "He’ll outsell the both of you,” she teased pointing at both Sora and Maeri.

“Me?" Maeri gasped, pointing to herself. Debah nodded as she placed some folders into drawers. "I’m going to be a part of the date auction, b-but I’m engaged!” she stuttered out a defense.

“I’m married, and I’m still doing it,” Sora argued and suddenly picked up a random antique, pretending to be examining it and being busy. 

“You’re separated,” Maeri fought back, to which Sora only responded with a shrug.

Debah then pulled herself up straight and cocked her head. “Are you saying, Maeri-ssi, that you don’t want to help us raise money for the leukemia foundation?” she challenged.

“Aaaaaah…no?” Maeri stammered in reply.

“Good," Debah responded with a smile. She then walked over and placed her hand on Maeri's shoulder. "Wear something that will show off your, ahem, assets," she instructed and gestured around Maeri's body. "We need you to at least fetch over $100. Maybe if we attach to some fancy dinner or…piece of jewelry," she mused as she bit her lip in thought. Debah then shook her head. "Oh dear, I have to plan this out,” she said in a worried voice and scurried off back into the storage room.

Maeri looked at the other two with wide eyes. “Did Debah-ssi just insinuate that I’m not going to sell?” she asked.

“No, Noona. Of course not," Sungjong responded. Maeri let out a sigh of relief, which she immediately inhaled back in with Sungjong's next comment, "You’re just not going for a very high price.”

“Ugh!" Maeri groaned, running her fingers through her hair. "I feel like a cheap hooker.”

“Don’t worry, Maeri." Sora walked over to the other side of the counter and patted her coworker's hunched back. "Maybe you could get Woohyun to buy you, and you guys can make a joint ‘donation,’” she proposed

Maeri lifted her head. “You mean I help Woohyun to pay for me so that I can sell for a higher price?”

“Eung,” Sora replied with a nod.

Maeri put her head in her hands as she thought aloud, “Not a bad idea.”

Sungjong leaned over the counter, placing his face right in front of Maeri's. “So how much is pride going for nowadays?” he teased with a knowing smiling. Maeri forced a smile on her face as she dragged her hand down Sungjong's, trying to wipe that bright grin from his face.

“Not all of us can be pretty like you.”


“Too bad you’re not pretty like Sungjong," Woohyun spoke in a raised voice as he turned a page in his book. He was laying in bed, casually reading while Maeri was in the bathroom, preparing to come to bed with him. "I can’t imagine how much some girls would be willing to pay to go out with that.”

Maeri poked her head out from the bathroom door. A toothbrush was hanging from the corner of . “And ahjummahs. They’re the ones with money," she added and foam spilled from onto her chin. She then ducked back into the bathroom to spit, rinse, and wipe clean. Shortly afterwards, she jumped into bed with Woohyun. She shyly looked up at him as she began, "Speaking of money…”

“Yes, I’ll buy you, my cheap little hooker," he cooed. Maeri oddly took that comment well and smiled as she got underneath the sheets. Because it went over well, Woohyun decided to push the scenario even further, "Hey. Does this make me a pimp?”

Maeri hummed and jutted out her chin as she seriously pondered the silly question over. “I think Debah-ssi is…or the foundation because all the money is going to them,” she answered.

Woohyun closed his book and set it aside. “So what does that make me?” he asked as he laid back onto his pillow.

“The and desperate guy," Maeri immediately retorted. She giggled and nodded. That sounds right, she thought. She then leaned over and placed a peck on Woohyun's pouting lips. "Good night, Hyun. I need to get my beauty rest  if I’m going to beat out Sungjong.”

“You’re going to have to sleep for 100 years to beat him. Ow!” Woohyun yelped in pain. Maeri had kicked him. He flipped over onto his side to give her his best wounded face, but she was just grinning as she closed her eyes.

“Night, Hyunnie.”


The following afternoon, Woohyun was in his office busily replying to his emails. He had come in that morning with over a hundred emails to respond to, and now he only had a handful left. He was so immerged in his work that he didn't notice his coworker, dragging his feet towards his desk. After feeling the hairs on the back of his neck prickle, Woohyun glanced behind him.

“Woah!" he yelped, clutching his heart. Sungyeol was only inches behind him, his hair a mess, heavy bags under his eyes, and a death grip on the coffee mug in his hands. Woohyun looked the other up from top to bottom. "Yeol, you look dead,” he commented.

“I am dead," Sungyeol replied in a hoarse whisper, tearing one hand off of the mug to rubbed his face.  He continued, his voice muffled by the hand over his face, "I died 3 nights ago when I was painting the baby’s room. At first we painted it pink because Soyeon swore it was a girl. The next night she made me go buy green paint because it was more gender neutral. And I said, ‘So is pink. I like pink. I’m a guy, so let’s keep it that way.’ Then she called me lazy and unsupportive, going on about how I didn’t care about her or the baby." He let out a deep sigh and dropped his hand. "So I got the paint.”

“So the room’s green now?” Woohyun asked, spinning his desk chair around to face him head-on.

“Nope it’s yellow," Sungyeol quickly replied. He then took a long sip from his mug and let out a content noise (almost like a moan). He slowly opened his eyes and explained, "They call this stage ‘nesting,’ but they should really call it ‘freaking the f**k out.’ “

Woohyun fiddled with the pen in his hands. His mind was beginning to fill with anxiety for his own future. If nice and polite Soyeon was driving Sungyeol crazy, Woohyun could only imagine what Maeri would be like with her hormones running haywire. “Sounds like it ,” he mumbled.

“Not really." Woohyun perked up to see Sungyeol with a slight smile. His eyes had grown brighter. "As weird as it sounds, it’s actually bringing us closer together. And it’s fun.”

Woohyun chuckled, “You have a weird definition of fun.”

Sungyeol a bit as well. “Maybe," he agreed, looking foundly into his coffee mug. But then he suddenly perked up his head. He immediately stuck his head out into the hallway. "Oh, yeobo, what are you doing here?" he asked, and when he pulled his head back into his office, Soyeon came in too, farther along in her pregnancy than Woohyun had expected. In fact, she waddled into the office more than she walked. Her belly had grown too large for her frame. Sungyeol noticed that she was having difficulty and gripped her elbows, guiding her into the room and placing her down into a chair. "You’re supposed to be home, resting,” he chided,

“Well, I got restless," Soyeon retorted, looking up at Sungyeol with a warm smile. Then she pouted, "And I missed you…but mostly I got hungry. Jagi, can we eat?”

“Wow!" Woohyun couldn't hold it in anymore. He looked the woman up and down with round eyes. "Soyeon-ah, is that you? You’re really coming along!”

And Woohyun in all of his naivete, did not know that that was the exact wrong thing to tell a pregnant woman. Soyeon faced him with shining eyes, and Woohyun was beginning to realize his mistake. “Did…you…," she stopped to snivel. "Just…say…I’m….big? Oh my gosh!" Soyeon cried as she buried her face into her hands. Her body was shaking like a leaf. "I’m a cow. I’m a huge cow!”

“No, no, no," Woohyun denied, waving his hand violently in the air. "I never said that!”

Soyeon lifted her head. Her eyes cut through him like lasers. “But that’s what you meant!" she snapped back. "And I know. I know. I am a cow.”

“I, uh, eh, ah," Woohyun stammered. He looked up to Sungyeol for help (who was happy for once that he wasn't the one to make his wife upset). Woohyun mouthed to him helplessly, "What do I do?”

Sungyeol immediately nodded and raised his hand at Woohyun to wait. He then got down on his knee, next to his wife, clasping them with his hands. He brought his knuckle under her chin and raised her head up from her hands so that they would be face to face. “But, yeobo, you might be a cow," he started with a warm smile. "But you’re the iest cow I’ve ever seen!”

Soyeon sniffed and wiped her tears. “A y cow?” she questioned.

“Eung," Sungyeol grunted with a nod. Woohyun had never seen his coworked speak to or treat someone so gently. He was impressed. "ier than a manatee, a sea cow!”And then there was the crass Sungyeol Woohyun had come to know.

But it drew a laugh from his wife. “Manatees are y? Since when?” she played along.

“They are so y that from faaaaaaaaaaaar away, sailors swore that they were mermaids,” he explained.

A smile appeared slowly on Soyeon's face, and she dropped her gaze in embarrassment. Apparently, even after all of this time with her husband, she still grew shy whenever he complimented her. “I’m prettier than a mermaid?” she asked in a small voice.

Sungyeol her cheek under the pad of his thumb. “Always.”

Soyeon then leaned forward and pecked Sungyeol on the nose. “Thank you, honey. And you’re more handsome than a baboon," she 'complimented' her husband. Then she stood up from her seat with a slight wobble. After regaining her balance, she turned to Woohyun. "Now I have to go freshen up. I’m a bit of a mess. Sorry, Woohyun-ah,” she apologized as she gingerly dabbed her red and tear-stained face.

“Don’t worry about it," Woohyun muttered soullessly. He was astounded by the quick turn of events. So he silently watched Soyeon leave his office in search for a bathroom. After the coast was clear, Woohyun looked at his coworker. "Okay, how the Hell did you do that?”

“This is what I meant," Sungyeol stated as he leaned onto Woohyun's desk, and although he was rubbing his tired eyes, he still had the warm smile on his face. "You learn things about each other through marriage and especially through a pregnancy. You learn how to handle in other in every given situation, every high and low. I’ve had a couple meltdowns myself, and Soyeon helped me through them." Sungyeol paused and turned to Woohyun. He clicked his tongue as he cocked his head. "But you and Maeri though, I don’t know what else you can learn about.”

Woohyun wondered if that was true. He certainly knew how to tick Maeri off with one word, but could he take her from crying to laughter in a few seconds like Sungyeol did for Soyeon? I have nothing to worry about. Maeri doesn’t even cry. And she doesn’t like babies, so she might not even get pregnant, he joked bitterly to himself. In spite of their 16 year friendship and knowing almost every single detail of Maeri’s life, doubts fluttered about Woohyun’s mind. With Sungyeol and Soyeon, marriage was as easy as breathing. Isn’t it the same way with her?

It is, but I better not screw this up though.

“Sungyeol, how much would you pay for Soyeon?” Woohyun suddenly asked.

Sungyeol's head sprung up, and he glared at his coworker curiously. “She’s not for sale,” he replied darkly.

“No," Woohyun denied. "I’m going to this date auction on Friday, and I have to ‘buy’ Maeri. I don’t know what’s the going rate for wives these days,” he ended his explanation with a chuckle. 

Sungyeol tossed his head back and tapped his forefinger onto his chin. He was in deep though, taking the question seriously. But then his wife walked back into the office. Then he snapped back into husband-mode, mostly in fear of offending her again. He wrapped his arm around her waist, barely. “Me? I’d pay a million dollars for her. I’d go into debt and sell my body,” he declared dramatically. Woohyun rolled his eyes at the display.

And so did Soyeon. She also gently hit his chest for good measure. “Stop it," she said with a laugh of disbelief. "You wouldn’t.”

“No, I totally would," Sungyeol denied with a shake of his head. "I’d eat nothing but ramyun for the rest of my life to have you by my side," he boasted, rubbing his cheek lovingly against hers, almost making Woohyun want to gag (but deep, deep, deep in the back of his mind, he found it a tiny bit sweet, even though it was all a lie). And Maeri thinks I'm gross, Woohyun thought and scoffed aloud. "We better be going," Sungyeol then announced, leading his wife out of the office. "See you later, Woohyun," he waved goodbye, but right before he was completely out of the office (and behind Soyeon's back), Sungyeol poked his head back in and motioned '250' to his coworker.

Woohyun laughed as Sungyeol ducked back out. "250 it is," he spoke to himself as he turned back to his computer. Then he cocked his head. "That's still a bit high for Maeri. She's not a luxury model or anything."


Even though Maeri wasn't a luxury model, when the night of the charity auction arrived, Woohyun decided to treat her like one, which would probably embarrass her. He stopped as he was picking out a bouquet at the local flowershop. Would Maeri like it? Or would she feel burdened? Ever since he had seen Sungyeol and Soyeon, Woohyun had been a bit on edge, questioning everything. Woohyun hated it. So he shook his head and grabbed the bouquet of roses. He was going to be romantic, and Maeri was going to like it (probably). But before he bought the bouquet, a familiar figure caught his sight. 

“Oh, Dongwoo, what are you doing here?”

Dongwoo picked his head up from sniffing some lilles. He waved to his ex-roommate as he pointed to the flowers. “Picking up some flowers for Boram-noona. I’m thinking about…” he said as he was trying to reach for a collection of pink flowers, but Woohyun slapped it away.

“No,” he commanded, wagging a finger in Dongwoo's face like he was reprimanding a child.

Dongwoo looked at the other with round and hopeful eyes. “B-but I really think we can work it out,” he stutters as he reached for the flowers again.

Woohyun hit his friend with the bouquet of roses (he definitely has to buy them now). “No," he repeated, and Dongwoo finally dropped his hand. "This girl wanted to break up with you because you were the wrong kind of doctor. Do you really think that can change?”

Dongwoo's eyes were fixed on the floor as replied, “Well, if I just overlook that…”

“You’re too forgiving. She’s not worth it," Woohyun cut him off and put his arm around the other's shoulders. He had no idea that his friend was this lonely, lonely enough to pursue what seemed to be a terrible relationship. Woohyun couldn't help but to feel partially responsible because with all of this planning recently, he had put Dongwoo on the back burner, and now Dongwoo was burnt and neglected.  Woohyun opened his mouth to apologize, but his phone rang in his pocket. He looked at the caller ID; it was his brother. I better take this. So instead of apologizing he said this, "Hold on, I’m getting a phone call. Don’t do anything stupid. Just don’t move." He slowly backed away from his former roommate, keeping a close eye on him. Woohyun then answered the call, "Yea, hyung. What’s up?”

“Woohyun, I need your help. Is Maeri with you?” his brother asked in a panicked tone.

“No, I’m going to meet her later why?" Woohyun replied cautiously. Then he caught Dongwoo trying to steal his own bouquet from his hands. He hit his friend with the bouquet again. "No, Dongwoo, stop it!” he reprimanded. Some stems broke and petals scattered onto the floor. Now he'll really have to buy the flowers.

“Dongwoo’s with you?! That’s even better!” Boohyun exclaimed.

“Why?" Woohyun returned his attention back to the conversation. "Are you okay?”

“I am, but my wife isn't," Boohyun answered with a deep sigh. "Her grandfather just died. There’s a gathering about 5 hours away, and Haeunnie isn’t ready for a trip that long yet.”

Ah so that's it. Woohyun gripped the flowers tightly in his hands. There goes his date night. “You want me to take care of her?”

“Just for the night," his brother tried to assure him. "We’ll be back tomorrow. And with Dongwoo, it’ll be easy. That kid speaks their language.” He ended with a laugh.

Woohyun's eyes darted over to his friend who was now trying on the flower crown displays, trying to wear all of them at once. “Yea, you’re telling me," Woohyun mumbled, rubbing his hand in his face. "Okay, I’ll do it, but you owe me, hyung.”

“I know. I know. I’ll get you a nice Christmas gift," Boohyun said. His voice sounded much more relieved now. "I’ll be at your place in 15 minutes to drop Haeunnie off.”

“You were already on your way?!” Woohyun gasped as he was trying to put the 6th flower crown on Dongwoo's head (Dongwoo couldn't read and Woohyun is a good helper).

“That’s only because I have such a dependable baby brother," Woohyun could practically hear Boohyun's grin.

“Yea whatever," Woohyun scoffed. "I’ll see you soon." He hung up the phone and put it back into his pocket. He looked at Dongwoo and sighed. Taking off the crowns, he announced, "Change of plans, Woo. We’re going to be taking care of my niece tonight.”

“Your niece? The baby?" Dongwoo excitedly asked. Woohyun nodded. "Call!”


“What?! Is everything okay?” Maeri asked as she left the busy lobby of the auction house. She had stayed at work, gotten ready there, and helped to set up. She had expected her fiance to walk through the doors at any minute with a fitted suit on and a sleezy smile on his face. But now he called to say he wasn't coming and was baby-sitting Haeun, whom she could hear garbling over the phone (or was that Dongwoo?). 

“Seems like it. Or at least hyung’s fine," he answered distractedly. "Look, Maeri. I’m sorry I can’t make it tonight.”

“It’s alright. I understand," Maeri responded sadly. She was fiddling around with a random flower display, which she was probably now ruining, but she had to distract herself. She was greatly looking forward to tonight and she didn't want to become jealous of a baby. "Haeunnie is important,” she mumbled darkly.

“You are too," Woohyun probably could sense her mood souring. "That’s why I’m sending in a replacement!”

“Huh?” Maeri gasped, dropping a flower onto the floor.

“Do you really think I’ll let any random guy buy my wifey? No way!" Woohyun joked in a semi-stern voice. He then chuckled at himself, "He’ll be there in a bit.”

Maeri began to walk back into the lobby and peered around the room. She saw no one familiar. “Woohyun, who is it?”

“It’s…Yah! Dongwoo-ah! Don’t eat the baby!” Woohyun interrupted himself.

Maeri could hear Dongwoo's loud laughter on the other side of the line. “Aw! It’s just a little nibble. I can’t help it! She’s so yummy. Yes, you are!” he cooed in baby-talk.

Woohyun groaned, “Honey, I got to go because someone can’t control themselves around infants. I love you, okay?”

“I love you too. Now go save Haeunnie!” Maeri jokingly commanded and then hung up the phone. She stretched her neck to get a better look around the room. It was crowded and in flux. It was hard to keep track of anything or anyone. People were mingling, getting drinks, checking out the 'wares' that were going up for auction. Sungjong had quite the gaggle of older women surrounding him, but he didn't seem to mind and politely conversed with them. But then someone else familiar walked right in front of her. He must be the replacement!

“Ah! Hoya!" Maeri exclaimed as she shuffled up to the other. "I was just talking to Woohyun.”

Hoya's eyes widened. “Is that so?” he asked.

“So are you here for the auction?” Maeri wanted to slap herself for asking that. Of course he was. Why else would he be here in a suit? Actually, I don't think I've ever seen him in a suit before. He looks nice.

Hoya didn't seem to mind the question. He leaned in and spoke lowly as if it were a secret, “Someone special might’ve caught my eye.”

Maeri giggled softly in embarrassment and gave the other a light shove. “Someone special,” she repeated.

“Stop playing around, Maeri-ssi," Debah suddenly came up from behind Maeri and chided. Maeri clutched her heart in fright as her boss clicked her tongue and shook her head. "Work the room. Make yourself look available," she ordered. "And for gods’ sakes, put on some lipstick.” With that she left to go talk with who looked like would be the highest bidders.

Maeri brought her fingers to her lips and pouted. “But I did," she mumbled. Maybe I look too natural. Maeri sighed and went to go fulfill her boss's demands. "I’ll see you later, Hoya." She waved goodbye. Maybe Sora has some? And as luck would have it, her coworker wasn't too far away. "Sora!" the call escaped Maeri's mind without thought. Then she remembered where she was, how inapporiate she was acting, and she noticed that Sora was currently speaking with a man. She's working the room! Maeri immediately apologized, in the sweetest voice she could muster, "Oh, sorry I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

“Trust me you’re not interrupting anything," Sora replied curtly. She was standing defensively with her arms across her chest. "He was just leaving.”

The man, however, didn't seem affected by Sora's rudeness. He slapped his knee and laughed dorkily, lips peeling back to only show his top row of pearly white teeth. Something about it seemed mechanical and fake. “Look at her! She’s such a kidder!" he said between laughs. He then put his arm around Sora, who looked disgusted, and turned the both of them towards Maeri. "That’s why I love this woman," the man said in a baby voice, grabbing at Sora's chin and pushing her cheeks up. He then laughed at the frown that quickly formed on Sora's face, which only seemed like a frustrated pout because her cheeks were squished. The man averted his attention away from Sora and extended his hand to Maeri. "I don’t think we’ve met. I’m Kwanghee, Sora’s husband.”

“Soon to be ex-husband,” Sora quickly added again.

“Oh!" Kwanghee reacted excessively and laughed. "There she goes again. So funny!”

Maeri couldn't bare to watch this any longer, Kwanghee's variety-show worthy reactions or Sora's disgruntled expression. Maeri reached out to take her coworker's wrist. “Sorry, Kwanghee-ssi," she apologized with a sacchrine voice and smile. "But I’m gonna have to borrow Sora for a second. I’m having make up issues.”

“Oh yea. I see what you mean," Kwanghee responded in a graze voice, gazing at Maeri's face with concern. But he still let go of Sora, finally. "Go ahead take her. Just bring her back, okay? Bye!” He waved at the two women until they were out of sight.

“Oh…my…gosh!" Maeri exclaimed once they reached the bathroom. She let go of Sora to rub the temple of her head. "That’s your husband?!” She couldn't believe it.

“Ex! Almost ex husband!" Sora countered. She scowled as she dug through her purse. "Why do people keep forgetting?” she grumbled. She then groaned in frustration and handed the purse over to Maeri.

"Oh thank you," Maeri spoke quietly, accepting the purse. She pulled out the darkest shade of lipstick she could find. No one could deny that she was wearing any now. She lifted he gaze to her friend who was fixing her own hair and make-up in the mirror, but she couldn't fix her usual smile onto her face. “Why are you leaving him? He seems to like you a lot,” Maeri asked as she gave the purse back and tried to apply the lipstick evenly.

“It’s all for show, trust me," Sora grumbled taking back the purse. Their eyes never met. Sora placed the purse on the countertop. "And he’s overcompensating," she admitted. Then she placed her hands onto the countertop and hung her head. "He cheated on me. With a couple of women.”

“Him?!” Well so much for even lipstick, because with that piece of news, Maeri distractedly drew a line of dark red onto her chin. 

Sora looked over at Maeri. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Sorry. I’m just shocked," Maeri quickly tried to remedy the situation, and her face. She rubbed at her chin harshly. "He doesn’t seem like your type at all. He’s so…”

“I know," Sora cut her off. She turned around and leaned against the counter. She sighed, either frustrated at herself or at Maeri. But she continued nonetheless, "And he’s the reason why my type changed. I really thought if I was with someone like that, it’d be the safe choice…I was wrong.”

Maeri stopped wiping her chin and looked up at her friend. She was always used to seeing a crass and cocky Sora, who almost seemed invincible. But now her coworker look defeated. “Sora…”

“It’s okay now," Sora interrupted with a lighter tone. The usual coy smile was back on her face. "I have someone else. And he treats me better. I just hope that he can afford me tonight. I’m looking good.” She winked at herself in the mirror, before grabbing her purse and leaving the bathroom.

Maeri stood there wondering who that someone was, and then she slapped herself in the forehead. “Hoya! That’s right!" she thought aloud. Her head then sprung up. "Wait a second…that’s right he’s probably here for her. You big dummy!” She hit herself again and then walked out of the bathroom again in hopes of finding Woohyun's replacement before the auction started. Soon enough, she found someone in the corner of the room, distancing himself from the hubub in the middle, Kim Myungsoo. Maeri squinted at the photographer. “Huh? Can’t be?”

“Everybody gather around!" Debah's call broke out. "The auction is about to begin!” Her boss then began to usher everyone into the main room. Maeri sighed as she watched Myungsoo obediently follow her call and went into the room before Maeri could ask why he was there. It could possible that he wants to pick out his own date.

"Number 14," Maeri looked down at the large pin on her chest with the number 14 on it. Whoever said that was talking to her. She looked up and saw an old man leering at her. "I'll be sure to remember that," the old man commented in a slick voice. He then winked at Maeri before entering the main room. She swallowed harshly at the thought of being auctioned off to such a man.

Hyun-ah, you better not be lying.


It wasn't going much easier for Woohyun either. From the moment he hung up the phone call with Maeri until now, Haeun had been crying. Nothing he or Dongwoo did could calm her down. She wasn't hungry. She had a clean diaper. Haeun was just upset. However, she miraculously calmed down when Dongwoo had set her down in the stroller when he was trying to free up his hands to give Haeun her toys. Then they discovered that she smiled whenever the stroller was pushed. But Dongwoo got tired of treading a path through Woohyun's apartment, so he coerced Woohyun into going on a night stroll with the three of them, despite it being cold outside. So they bundled up Haeun as best they could and hit the streets. And it was pleasant at first, until Woohyun noticed that they were being looked at strangely because they were two men and a baby. Woohyun cursed under his breath. He also didn't watch where he was going and accidentally ran the stroller into a lightpost. Haeun began crying again. Woohyun just plain cursed.

"Haeunnie, what is it? Did you get scared?" Dongwoo asked in a high-pitched voice. He was bent down next the the stroller and began to fuss with the baby, but nothing worked. "What do we do?"

"I don't know," Woohyun muttered and unbuckled his niece from the stroller and picked her up into his arms. He began bouncing her up and down. "Uncle's sorry, Haeunnie. Don't cry," he cooed at her. "Uncle loves you." She screamed. Woohyun looked at Dongwoo. "Apparently she doesn't love me anymore."

"Oh? Did you guys steal this baby?"

The two men craned thier necks around and saw Hani with a teasing grin. Woohyun would've been happier to see her, but as Haeun was screaming in his ears, it was hard to do anything but wince. "No, she's my..." He paused when the baby squealed particularily loudly. "Niece."

Hani walked up and reached her arms out. "Can I?" she asked. Woohyun handed the baby over. Haeun was already upset. What difference would it make if she was upset in a stranger's arms? But then...Haeun screeches turned into soft whimpers and her breathing became regular. She was calming down. Hani bounced the infant in her arms. “She’s beautiful," she praised. "I could just eat her right up.”

“Please don’t. Hyung will get mad if I bring back bare bones," Woohyun joked. "Dongwoo already tried.”

Hani lifted her gaze from the child. “Dongwoo?”

“Ah yes," Woohyun just realized how Dongwoo was awkwardly still crouching by the stroller, as if he was trying to get out of their way. Woohyun pulled him up by the collar and put his arm around Dongwoo. "Hani-noona, this is my friend, Jang Dongwoo. Woo, this is Oh Hani.” He introduced them, and they shook hands as best they could with Haeun in the way.

As soon as he pulled away, Dongwoo made a realization of his own. “Oh! The one that’s dating Gyu!”

“Ah yea,” Hani awkwardly responded as she jostled Haeun in her arms.

“Aw! Haeunnie looks so comfy," Dongwoo cooed looking at them. He then frowned. "How come she doesn’t do that do me?”

“Well, I have something you don’t," Hani replied. The two men looked at her in confusion. Hani giggled as Haeun nuzzled into her, demonstrating what she meant. "A chest.”

The two men went "oh" and nodded. Then Woohyun began chuckling and feeling up Dongwoo's chest. “I don’t know. It’s kinda soft, noona,” he teased.

"Yah!"


The auction was well underway, and Maeri's turn was quickly coming up, but she still didn't find out who the replacement was. And after awhile, she forgot about it and got caught up in the excitement of it all. As stressful as it was to organize these things, Maeri still loved the thrill of an auction. Especially this one. Not only where they auctioning off dates, but to appeal to a larger audience, jewelry, paintings, and even some furniture were up for biddings, all of them had romantic stories attached to them. An engagement ring from the 1940s of a war-torn couple, a series of portraits a man painted of his wife over the course of their marriage, and even a pair of rocking chairs that a couple used to sit at together side by side.

That's not to say that they date auction wasn't exciting. It was. Unfortunately, after a minor bidding war, Hoya lost out to Kwanghee, who seemed to spare no expense at buying back his wife from the other. Hoya then left the auction completely, not being able to stomach seeing the still married couple together. Then, of course, Sungjong's auction was full of surprises. Unsurprisingly, most of his bidders were old enough to be his mother, but they all lost. Myungsoo won the auction for an obscene amount of money, citing that he wanted to use Sungjong as a model. Apparently, Myungsoo was there not for Maeri, and not to find a date, but to find a muse. Odd place to do that. 

Then it was Maeri's turn.

She walked onto the stage, careful not to trip or stumble in her high heels. She had been wearing them all day to get used to the height, but now that seemed like a poor decision as her arches ached with every step. The auctioneer must have seen her struggle. He took her hand and walked with her to the center of the stage as he announced her, “Now, here we have a lovely piece. This is Yoo Maeri, 30 years-old and with a heart of gold! Spend the night with her at the town’s finest Italian restaurant. While drinking wine, she’s sure to provide some titillating conversation." Maeri still tried to smile through her cringing at that comment. "And she’s not bad to look at either," the auctioneer teased. Maeri looked at him with a amused smile. They had gotten to know each other over the years, as he worked for most of their auctions, and he always loved to . "But beware, she does have a fiancé. However, he’s not here right now, so she’s fair game! Let’s start the bidding at $50.” Now Maeri pouted. $50 was the price of the gift card that would pay for their meal. She was basically being auctioned off for free, and was the lowest starting bid of the night.

Which is probably why several paddles flew into the air. That made Maeri feel better about herself. And her self-esteem only grew as the prices climbed higher and higher. One by one the paddles began to drop out. Maeri searched the crowd to see who as still bidding. Then she saw him. The paddle that was always raised first. It was the probably erted old man.

 “$450? Really?" the auctioneer gasped in amazement that people were still bidding at this point. He cocked his head. "That’s interesting. Do I have a $475? $475! Are you sure?" he challenged the old man in the audience. The auctioneer placed his hands on his hips and gestured towards Maeri, "She’s engaged, you know?”

“And I’m married,” the old man retorted, earning a laugh from the audience. All except Maeri. Her stomach dropped. She closed her eyes and tried to calm herself down and maintain her pleasant smile. I'm going to be sold to this old man. He's going to take me, and I'll have to eat with him. And then what? This is all Woohyun's fault. He said he'd be here. He said he'd buy me. And now I'm going to be a concubine of this old lecher!

“$600.”

That voice didn't sound old at all. Maeri opened her eyes and searched for the paddle in the air. It was in the back of the room, surrounded by larger people. From her angle, she couldn't quite see who it was. Woohyun? No, it can't be...the replacement?

“Now you don’t seem so sure about that,” the auctioneer teased.

“$600!” the man said again, his voice more firm.

The auctioneer looked towards the old man, silently asking him if he'd match the bid. The old man waved him off and conceded to defeat. “Sold!" the auctioneer exclaimed. "To the handsome man in the back who looks like he’s just lost his mind. What an exciting end to our auction, everybody!" Everyone began clapping and getting up from their seats. "Oh! What are you waiting for, kid? Come claim your prize! You paid enough for her.”

Maeri watched closely as the crowd parted and her 'date' got up from his seat and began to make his way to the front of the room. “Oh Gyu. It was you,” she said as soon as the other reached her.

Sungkyu climbed up onto the stage, hands in his pockets. “Were you expecting someone else?” he jokingly challenged.

Maeri shook her head. “Uh no. Actually, I don’t know why I didn’t think of you," she admitted with an embarrassed giggle. "Of course Hyun would ask you to help. Thank you so much.”

Sungkyu smiled. “It’s no problem.”

The auctioneer interrupted them, “Come with me, sir. You just need to sign some papers and give us a check before you can start your date.”

“Oh yes, of course," he responded. He then turned to Maeri. "Hold on one moment. I’ll be back.”

Maeri nodded and told him, “I’ll be in the lobby.”

And so she waited in the lobby. After knowing that the replacement was Sungkyu, Maeri felt more at ease. So much more at ease that she was finally taking off those damned high heels and exchanging them for flats. She sat on the steps to the main room with her coat on, heels off, and she was vigorously rubbing her feet, hoping to get the blood stirring back in them again. But then she heard a clicking of a tongue. She raised her head to see the old man again.

“It’s a damn shame,” he muttered, looking her up and down.

A hand then came down onto her shoulder. She looked up to see Sungkyu standing protectively next to her. His eyes were fixed in an intense glare on the old man. And he continued to glare until the man walked away. After the man was out of sight, he lifted his hand from her shoulder. "I don’t like the way he looks at you,” he confessed.

“I don’t either," she agreed. She looked up at him and squeezed the hand near her shoulder. "Thank you for saving me.” Maeri then shoved her feet into her beat-up flats and stood up. She laughed. She was closer to Sungkyu's height with the heels on, but now with the heels off and him being a step above her, she was eye-level with his chest. She suddenly felt like a small child. Sungkyu tilted his head in confusion, but Maeri didn't indulge him. Instead she dug through her purse and pulled out a card. “This is yours," she spoke as she handed it to him. "You can use it on a date later. And don’t worry. Woohyun and I will pay you back later. I don’t think he’ll be too upset at how much you paid, especially after you tell him about the creep." She looked at Sungkyu whose eyes were fixed on the card. She sighed and said, "So, I guess I’ll see you around?” She turned around to leave.

“Wait," Sungkyu called after her, and Maeri stopped and turned around. He scoffed in disbelief, "That’s it? I just paid $600 for you. The least you can do for me is buy me a drink.”

Maeri smirked. She should have expected that Sungkyu would want immediate reparations for his empty wallet. “Okay," she gave in. Then she clapped her hands. "Oh! I know just the place!”


It's getting deeper into the night and the air is growing colder still, and yet Woohyun is outside, bouncing Haeun on his knee. The three of them (well Hani and Dongwoo) decided to stop by and buy some hotteok and coffee to warm up their insides. Or we could just go inside, he could hear Maeri's voice inside of his head say. But there was something about being outside this time of year. It was almost magical with all of the lights, and even the stars seemed brighter. The three of them were sitting at a table. 'Were' because Dongwoo recently had just excused himself to go find a restroom. But up until that point, Woohyun had noticed Dongwoo's shy glances and over-courteous behavior to Hani. He was flirting with her, which made Woohyun partially happy because that meant Boram was becoming just a memory for Dongwoo. But Woohyun was only partially happy. He couldn't put his finger on it, but something about this situation felt wrong. Then he realized it. It was Sungkyu. Sungkyu and Hani were dating, and yet...

“You know, if you weren’t dating Gyu, I’d say to go for that," Woohyun reminded Hani (and in all honesty, Woohyun would have to admit that Dongwoo was a better catch). "Dongwoo is literally the best guy I know.”

“Is that so?" Hani asked while covering . She was chewing on her bite of hotteok. She nodded as she thought and chewed. And once she swallowed, she spoke again. "Maybe I should…Gyu and I aren’t dating anymore.”

Woohyun stopped bouncing his knee, eliciting a grunt of disapproval from his niece but he didn't care. “What? Why not?”

Hani chewed on her lip, wondering if she should divulge, but she did anyway, “I think you and Maeri wanted it more than we did.”

Woohyun chuckled slightly. He'd been caught. “We kind of did force it, didn’t we?” he admitted, looking up at the other shly.

She smiled and pinched her fingers in the air to emphasize her point, “Just a bit.”

“Well, now that you’re available and so is Dongwoo…” Woohyun began to suggest, but Hani raised a finger in the air to stop him.

“Nam Woohyun! Don’t force it,” she gently reprimanded him.

Woohyun shrugged and looked back down at his niece, who was slowly nodding off. “I was only suggesting,” he spoke lowly.

“Well, I suggest that you mind your own business," Hani twisted his words. "I can handle my own love life.”

“Are you sure about that?" Woohyun challenged. "I can read people really well. Just let me…” This time he was interrupted from disgruntled whimpers coming from Haeun. And he could feel his knee grow damp. , well it's actually not quite that but...

“Concentrate on your niece instead. She needs a diaper change," Hani suggested. She leaned over and sniffed. She immediately retracted and covered her nose. "Ew! How can something so cute smell so bad?”

“Noona…I’m not very good at it. I bet that you’ll do a much better job,” Woohyun tried to use the most helpless voice he could muster and he even batted his eyelashes at the other.

Hani only grinned and retorted, “Then it sounds like you need the practice.”


“This is nice," Sungkyu said as he looked around the drinking tent. It was the one where Maeri and Dongwoo came to rescue their drunken 'husbands,' but Maeri doubted whether Sungkyu would remember that. And to be honest, that was partially the reason why she brought him there, to see if he could remember any of the craziness that was that night. Seems not. "It was a good idea to come here.”

“You’re a cheap date,” Maeri joked. It was true. In comparison to the $600 Sungkyu had spent, Maeri only paid around $20. 

“And a handsome one too,” Sungkyu retorted and then proceeded to stuff his mouth with the fishcakes.

Maeri nodded slightly as she looked over the other. She had to admit, Sungkyu cleaned up nicely. Not that he didn't look nicely otherwise, but this night he just looked better. He was in a nice suit and his hair was styled. His bangs were lifted from his face, which made the other seem all the more expressive (his eyebrows did weird things). “I do like your hair like that," she confessed and gestured to how it was styled. "You should do it more often. You can see your face now." Then she noticed the smile widening on the other's face and she grew hot. "But don’t get cocky. Woohyun’s more handsome.” It was weird to compliment a guy who wasn't her fiance, right?

Sungkyu, however, wouldn't let it drop, especially after the comparison. “But I have more charisma," he argued. Maeri shook her head. Sungkyu frowned. "I can sing better, right?”

“Nope," Maeri fought back. "He’s really good.”

“But I sing with more feeling, more soul," Sungkyu countered, placing a hand over his heart. Maeri shook her head again this time, more violently, causing her hair to fall in front of her face. "Aish! You just like Woohyun more,” he cursed, falling back into his chair.

“No," Maeri denied. Sungkyu raised his head and looked at her expectantly. "I like him a lot more,” she teased, finding slight joy in his fallen face. She then turned her attention back to the fishcake soup in front of her, which was proving difficult to eat with one hand in her coat pocket and hair fallen in front of her face. She tried to blow it out of the way, but it only kept falling right back into place. Then she felt fingers graze her cheek. After seeing her struggle, Sungkyu had leaned over the table and tucked the hair behind her ear for her.“Oh, thank you,” she mumbled and looked back down at her soup. It was a cold night, but she was beginning to feel warm. It must be the steam from the soup.

“Maeri, do you love him?” Sungkyu suddenly asked.

Maeri looked at him curiously before answering. “Woohyun? Of course!” Isn't it obvious?

“How?” Not how much or how so, but just how. How was she supposed to answer that? Did she love Woohyun? Without a doubt. He was her closest friend, her confidant, the only person she could count on for anything at anytime. And not only that, but when she wasn’t with Woohyun, Maeri felt incomplete, like a twin missing their other half. It didn’t feel right. But what kind of love was that? Would it be the answer he was looking for? And why did it even matter?

“With my whole heart," she finally answered. Maeri didn't like feeling like this, like she was being interrogated, so she turned the tables, "But what about you? Oh! Do you think you’re falling for Unnie? Is  that why you’re asking?”

“No," Sungkyu replied softly while shaking his head. "We’re actually…not dating anymore," he confessed and then resumed eating.

“B-but you guys seemed so perfect together!” Maeri stammered in shock. She really thought the relationship would work out. Hani was nice. Sungkyu was nice. Shouldn't they get along?

“Like you and Woohyun?" Sungkyu challenged, both of his eyebrows arched high on his forehead. Maeri nodded slowly, still trying to absorb this new information. Sungkyu chuckled slightly and then continued, "Hani and I want to see other people. It was mutual.”

Hani too? Maeri felt as if the couple in a drama that she was rooting for didn't end up together. She really thought Sungkyu would've been Hani's prince, and she could finally get her fairy tale ending. Maeri fixed her gaze on the man in front of her, who was ignoring her and was eating. Maeri had a sneaking suspicion that it was all his fault. Then it hit her. She sat back in her seat and smirked. “Oh, you’re still hung up on that girl from before!”

“Huh?” Sungkyu looked up in surprise.

She had him. She crossed her arms over her chest. “The one you told me about months ago at my housewarming party. You still like her,” she declared.

Sungkyu coughed and looked away. “I guess you could say that,” he grumbled.

“Eh, you should forget about her," Maeri suggested, resting her elbows on the table and her head in her hands. "There’s a lot of girls out there. Better ones.”

He chuckled, but it died in his throat as he continued talking, “But she’s kind of…hard…to forget.”

Maeri noticed only half-way what she was doing. She cleared and continued to pick the grain of rice from Sungkyu's cheek. “Sorry. You had some rice there," her apology was quiet as she flicked the grain away. She watched it fall onto the floor. "So since Unnie didn’t work out," she muttered. Then she had a of brilliance. She met his gaze again. "Jiminnie is still single!”

“Yah!” Sungkyu seemed genuinely shocked and offended by that notion.

Maeri pouted and returned to her food, grumbling, “She has a great personality. Y’all are just too shallow.”


After the hotteok and the coffee, Hani decided to take her leave. She waved goodbye to the boys and gave Haeun one last squeeze. When she was out of sight, Dongwoo turned to Woohyun and shook his head. He then left the other as he began to walk down the streets. Woohyun caught up to him, pushing the stroller. “What?” he questioned.

“Nothing. It’s just that," Dongwoo paused briefly as he turned his neck back around to look behind them. Woohyun followed his gaze but no one was there. "I didn’t think Hani-ssi would be like that," he ended.

Oh, he's smitten. Woohyun nudged him with his shoulder. “She’s great, isn’t she? I hope she finds someone soon.”

“I think she already did,” Dongwoo commented offhandedly.

Woohyun stopped in his tracks. “What? You??" Woohyun asked in disbelied. Dongwoo shrugged. "Sorry to break it to you, Woo, but she’s not interested.” He resumed walking back home, this time leaving Dongwoo behind.

“Why not?”


“Okay, I can’t take it anymore," Maeri yelped in frustration as she and Sungkyu were walking back from the tent. "I hate secrets! Who’s the girl? The one you like. Tell me. Tell me! Please!” she begged, jumping around him. And Sungkyu found it very amusing how desperately she wanted to know, but after her 15th 'please' it seemed futile. So Maeri was about to give up, pouting at she kicked the ground beneath her feet, but then she got her answer.

“You.”

Maeri looked up, still seeing that amused smile on his face. He's teasing me. She scoffed and hit him in the arm. “Yah! Stop joking! I really want to know,” she yelled.

His smile only grew wider as he laughed, “I’m not joking.”

“Then why are you smiling like that?” she challenged, jutting out her chin.

“It’s because I like you, idiot! And you’re being ridiculous!" he fought back. Maeri just rolled her eyes and stomped ahead of him. "What? I’m serious,” he called out to her.

Maeri spun around to face him but was still walking away. “Riiiiiiight," she said in a mocking tone. "Fine, don’t tell me.”

The smile finally fled his face. “I am being serious," he said sternly. "I can prove it.”

“Tsk!" Maeri scoffed. "I like to see you try.” She was egging him on now, trying to call his bluff.

“Then come over here,” he ordered, stopping where he was.

And Maeri stopped too. “No you come over here,” she demanded.

“Fine,” he spoke lowly and started to approach her.

But there was something about his serious expression that was scary Maeri, deeply. “Gyu," she warned, wanting him to stop. But he kept coming. She took a step back, when he almost reached her. "Gyu-ah, what are you…" The phone rang in her pocket as soon as Sungkyu was in front of her again. She pulled it from her coat pocket to see that it was Woohyun. She immediately pressed the phone to her ear and answered it. "Oh sweetie! It’s you!” she spoke a little too loudly, but Sungkyu got the message and backed away. He then waved goodbye and left, putting his hands into is pockets.

“It’s safe to come home now," Woohyun said on the other side of the line. Maeri had barely registered it. "I put Haeunnie and Dongwoo to sleep, so no more crying babies.” Her fiance laughed at his own poor joke.

Maeri shook her head, clearing it. “Oh is that so?" she asked. She then began to make her own way home. "You know, I wasn’t trying to avoid the baby.”

“I know. You’re just giving Sungkyu his money’s worth. He already texted me the price. Apparently, I have a very expensive wife,” Woohyun teased.

Maeri played along. “At least someone knows how much I’m worth,” she said in a semi-hurt voice.

“Yea, that creepy old man,” Woohyun joked.

“Oh, Sungkyu told you about that too?” she asked. Her heart began to feel uneasy again.

“Eung. Thank him for me, Honey, and come on home," he spoke through a yawn. "I’m getting sleepy.”

Maeri smiled and she picked up the pace of her step. “You know you can always go to sleep without me,” she retorted.

“Nu uh, not when it’s my night to be the little spoon," he cutely argued. "I know how your mind works, Yoo Maeri. I want my nice fluffy arm pillow.”

“Tsk," Maeri grunted into the phone. "Your pillow will be home in 10 minutes. Do you think you can last that long, Hyun?”

“Eung.”


When Maeri returned home, she found Dongwoo on the couch and Haeun in a portable crib in her bedroom, both fast asleep. She also found Woohyun already passed out in the bed, sprawled out on both sides. Maeri peered into the crib and spoke to her soon-to-be niece, "Did you tire him out? Hehe, good girl." She then slowly got ready for bed. She didn't know why, but she was more distracted than usual. She did her skincare routine out of order and accidentally brushed her teeth twice. But it was a long day, so she blamed it on that.

Then when she was about to climb into bed, she gently pushed Woohyun over to his side before laying down. She looked at Woohyun's sleeping and drooling face. With all of that drool, it was probably best if she didn't kiss him goodnight. Then a light filled her room. It was coming from her phone. She flipped over onto her side and read the new message she recieved. It was from Sungkyu.

"If I took things too far tonight, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable."

Maeri puffed out her cheeks and let out a deep breath. It’s okay. It was a joke, she thought. She placed the phone back on her nightstand and laid back down on her bed, placing a hand on her heart. It was a joke. It was a joke, she told herself over and over again. But why didn’t Maeri’s heart feel more at ease.