Part 1

A Not-So-Perfect Wife

 

 

 

 

I scooped the rice into the bowls and set the dishes on the dining table. Satisfied with the look and smell of the food, I called my husband for the dinner.

"Coming!!" He replied from upstairs.

"New recipe, I guess?" He came in like a blink of seconds and ruffled my hair before pulling the chair.

"Yes. And I hope it turn out well", I smiled nervously.

Jong In sat in front of me and he tried one of the dishes. I stared at him without blinking to see his reaction.

He scrunched his nose and quickly made his way to the sink. I moved closer and helpfully patted his back.

"Is it so bad?" I asked nervously.

My husband nodded sincerely. He gargled his mouth with water several times.

"I guess we have to order Chinese food again tonight", he said to me. My heart sank while looking at the dishes. My effort went to a waste again. I am not a good cook. To be exact, I am a terrible cook.  Jong In is so picky when it comes to food. It was really hard to cook something that matches with his liking.

"I'm sorry, Jong In".

Jong In looked at me while wiping his mouth. He patted lightly my head without saying anything. It has been one year since we got married, and but my cooking skill has still not improved yet.

Jong In called the usual Chinese food restaurant to order.

"Sweetheart", he called.

"Sweetheart, do you hear me?" He asked again when I was not replying.

"Yes?"

"What do you want to eat?" He asked.

"Anything, Jong In", I replied sadly while throwing my ‘master piece’ into the dustbin.

 

 


 

I was busy typing on my laptop when my husband called me from our bedroom.

"Five minutes, Jong In!" I replied asking him a bit more time to finish my report.

After five minutes, I entered our bedroom and froze looking at him tidying his clothes.

"Why are you unfolding back your clothes?" I asked.

Jong In furrowed his eyebrows while nagging to me.

"I have told you many times to not to fold my shirt like this", he said while showing to me the shirt that was folded by me.

I raised my eyebrow.

"You should do like this. Button the top button and the third button.
Lay the shirt face-down on the folding surface...."

I did not hear the rest of his nag. This is another one habit that he has. He did not like his clothes were not folded in his way. It was not my fault anyway. He loves to see all his shirts folded in the same size. Seriously, I have got no time to do that.

"Do you understand?" He looked up at me.

I let out a sigh.

"Jong In, there are too many steps! I could not remember it!"

"You are not paying attention to me right, that is why you said it was hard!" he said while folding another shirt.

I bit my lower lip, offended by his words.

"It's okay. You can continue back your work. And I'm sorry for disturbing you", he said but not looking directly at me. He put back his shirts into our shared spacious wardrobe.

I felt like wanted to cry as I closed the door. Everything seemed wrong in his eyes. Maybe it was really my fault because I am not a neat person.



 


 

 


"Sweetheart, please put your towel outside!" Jong In yelled from the bathroom.

I ran a little bit from the dress table to the bathroom.

"I'm sorry!" I entered the bathroom, taking the wet towel while smiling sheepishly to him.

After a while, my husband came out from the bathroom. He changed into a light blue shirt to get ready to go to his workmate's house.

I put the lip balm on my lips and noticed him walking closer to me.

He put his hands on his waist. 

"Is there anything else that I forgot?" I asked him worried that I might do another mistakes.

He chuckled, "Nothing. You look beautiful".

I smiled at him.

"Whose wife do you think?" I asked playfully.

He laughed a little.

"Of course my wife", he replied and then kissed my cheek lightly.

 

 



 

 

"What is your friend's name?" I asked him when we were walking to her apartment.

"Sora", my husband answered shortly.

After a few times pressing the door bell, a stunningly beautiful woman opened the door for us and she smiled happily.

"I'm sorry, it is too noisy inside. Welcome Jong In. Oh, is this your wife? Welcome". Her voice was silvery and melodious.

I smiled at her, noticing how beautiful she was with long and wavy hair. We entered the apartment and there were a lot more of his friends inside. 

I looked at the variety of food and felt someone walking closer to me. It was Sora.

"Why are you just looking? Come on, let's eat", she smiled while asking me to serve myself.

After taking the food, I sat beside Jong In who was busy chatting with his friends.

"It is so delicious", Jong In complimented the taste of the food. I nodded, agreeing with his words.

Another of his friends, Chen who sat in front of us said, "Sora cooked all of the food. Isn't she great?"

Wow. She is just a perfect woman, she could cook well and she was also beautiful.

"Sora, it is tasty!" I complimented her.

Sora smiled shyly and said, "It is nothing. I am sure you are a great cook as well".

Jong In choked listening to Sora. I quickly handed him a glass of water.

He laughed a little, "No".

All three of us looked at him.

"She can't cook, Sora". 

My smile fell at that instant. It was such an embarrassing moment when your husband told your darkest secret to his friends.

Chen hit Jong In's lap playfully when he noticed my expression.

"Jong In, I am sure she can cook something right?" Cheb asked him.

"The only thing that she can cook is rice, I guess", Jong In replied.

Seriously, I was really offended by his words this time. I felt a pang in my chest as they all laughed at the same time.

Sora encouragingly patted my lap and said, "Jong In, it is also hard to cook rice you know. You have to know the right amount of water and rice".

I put a faint smile on my face. Deep inside of my heart, I was really sad because I was not doing well my role as his wife.


 

A wife should be good at cooking.

A wife should be creative at tidying their house. 

A wife should not be forgetful.


All those words were echoing in my head and at the right moment all I want was to go back home.

 


 

It was Friday, a new day and I was ready to do my mission. I looked at the new message on my phone from my boss.


 

I know that you have asked a leave today but could you meet a special client for a while? I promise you, it is not take too much of your time. You are my best staff, right?

-Boss-
 

 


I sighed a little.

"Sweetheart", a deep voice called.

"Sweetheart", my husband called me. He was busy with his tie and I put my handphone on the table and moved closer to help him.

"Why are you always zoning out?" He asked while untying back his tie and gave it to me. I chuckled and put the tie around his neck. He kissed my nose from time to time.
 I groaned at his playfulness. 

"Kim Jong In, don't disturb me. I will strangle you. I swear".


He laughed.

"Are you not going to work?" He asked while eyeing my fast hands.

I pulled his tie upwards and said, "A little bit late, I guess. I have to meet a client outside the office this morning".

"Okay, thanks", he said while looking himself at the mirror.

"Take care", he said while kissing my forehead. I smiled widely and bid goodbye to him.

After a while I received a call from my boss saying that I have to meet the client in less than thirty minutes.

Oh my god! I have not ironed my blouse yet!

Frantically, I searched my favourite green blouse that was bought by Jong In last month but it was not in my drawer. I saw it in the neatly folded Jong In's shirts. Without thinking, I pulled the blouse roughly and all Jong In's shirts on top of the blouse fell on the floor. I cursed myself for not being careful. Jong In must be really mad at me. I planned to fold back his shirts when I came back home as the time was running out.

 




I parked the car beside Jong In's car at the garage. He came quite early tonight. I took the bags from the back of car. As I opened the door of my bedroom, I gasped looking at my husband who was folding his shirts.

"I am sorry Jong In!" I said while holding his arm.

He did not react with my words it meant that he was so angry. I gulped my saliva waiting for his response.

"Where have you been?" He asked while looking at the shopping bags on my hand.

"Emm... I ." I stuttered a bit not wanting to tell him what did I do today.

"You have time for shopping, but you didn't have any time to tidy back this mess!!"

I flinched at his sudden outburst. My eyes started to water as I tried to explain to him.

"It is not like what you think, Jong In".

He glared at me and moved my hand from his arm, "You know what. You have not changed your habit at all. I am tired of this. I really cannot stand with you anymore".

He stood and left me dumbfounded in the room. After a while, I heard the sound of his car's engine. Unknowingly, I felt tears falling through my cheeks. I sent a message to him before grabbing my car keys to make my way out of the house.