Vital

Irregularly Regular
Can I cry with you guys?

I/R 0.4 - Vital


 

Kyuhyun.

He remained his eyes closed, refusing to let them open.

Kyuhyun, wake up.

Still, he remained motionless, as if he didn’t hear him.

Wake up, before I make you.

He sighed mentally and let his eyes open. He found Heechul standing beside his bed and Leeteuk just several steps behind him. As he let his eyes wander however, he found something familiar. He rubbed his eyes to see if he was dreaming. There, crouching on the corner of the room he was in was a figure. He immediately stood up from his bed and took small steps towards it, but the figure immediately shivered as he somewhat felt that Kyuhyun was walking towards him. Kyuhyun stops.

He wasn’t able to be trained because of reasons I believe I’ve mentioned to you before you went in your task to look after Donghae.

Heechul.

Hmm?

Say, what was the real reason back then?

When what?

I am very aware of the fact that aside from wiping off my memories and knowledge when you send me to Earth (Heechul smirk at that), I am also aware of the fact that Donghae’s own reflection wouldn’t leave him for no specific reason.

You’re too smart.

Heechul.

The Lord sighs, before he flickers his fingers; and suddenly they were standing at the center of a familiar room. He looks at a small stool beside a full length mirror, where Donghae’s empty room is shown.

Another sound of flick of fingers could be heard.

The scene on the mirror shifted.

 

A seven year-old boy came skipping happily down the hallway, giggling and squealing excitedly as he made it past the maid’s quarters, before he ran up the stairs and arriving at the hallway of his parent’s room. He jumped in excitement as he knocked on the door many times loudly, waiting for either his Mom or Dad to open up.

Someone did though, but the boy didn’t recognize the man so he took one step back, only to retreat immediately as he saw his mother. “Mom!” he squealed happily, hugging her as he ran to her. The mother, however, just stood there motionless, eyeing him with a grave expression. “Mom?” he asked, but his mother was no longer looking at him, but the tall man behind. She then looked at his father; lying on the bed as if all of his worries abandoned him as he never looked that peaceful. His mother nodded her head slowly, as if it hurts her too much to do so; and the little boy could only frown in confusion as the man in white covered his father fully with a white cloth, before they leave the room minutes later. “Mom, why did they cover Daddy’s face with a blanket? Isn’t it supposed to be up to his shoulder only? He won’t be able to breathe mom.”

As the boy was about to hold the white cloth however, his mother suddenly dropped on her knees and hugged the confused boy in her arms.

“I’m sorry, Donghae.”

And he felt that a part of him had literally vanished.

 

Donghae brushed away his mother’s hands off his little figure, before lifting his head to meet her gaze. The usual spark in his eyes had already disappeared; replaced by dull, blank ones.

And that was when the boy made his first, and one of the many, fake smile.

“I’m okay, Mom.”

Hearing his words, his mother wept more and more; crying her hearts out as the immense pain, sadness and loneliness all crashed down at her at once.

She cried and cried until she fainted.

But the boy did nothing.

Donghae just stared at her, before he turned his gaze towards the bed where his father lies.

He was angry;

He was infuriated;

He felt betrayed;

And he was sad; very, very sad.

 

“Are you in trouble, young child?”

He turned his gaze towards the window; a tall, dark figure held his hand to him.

“Come, child; for I shall grant you a wish.”

Donghae blinked twice as the two of them suddenly floated into thin air. “And why would you do that?” the boy asks as they flew out of the window, never once he looked back.

“Do you want to see your father again?”

He answers without hesitation. “Yes.”

“Then I shall grant your wish.”

“You can’t do that. He’s dead.”

He heard the man chuckles darkly. “I could bring him back if you really want.”

Donghae stays silent.

“But you have to give me something in return.”

 

“What is it?”

 

The scene shifts once again; only to made Kyuhyun widens his eye in shock.

 

“Reflection?”

“Why, yes.” the man said with a passive tone.

Not really understanding what the man is saying about, Donghae just nods his head a bit.

The Demon smirked.

And Donghae screams in excruciating pain.

 

The scene shift into Donghae’s empty bedroom once again.

Kyuhyun gulped; letting the information sink in. Turning to Heechul, he allows himself to ask his unanswered question.

What happened to Donghae’s father then?

It was Leeteuk who answered his question with a grim expression on his face.

 

“We had to kill him.”

 

 

He’s just another piece in my game.

Kyuhyun fisted his hands and clutched the knife in his hand. No.

The Demon just raised an eyebrow at him. But suddenly smirk as if he suddenly recognized him. Oh. I guess those idiot lord of yours finally tells you the truth, huh? Well, talking about that little kid, Donghae is his name, was it not?

Cackling evilly, the Demon raised himself from the branch he was sitting jumps into Kyuhyun’s side, taking the boy in surprise and he lose hold of the knife. The Demon picked up the small metal and played it with his hands while walking around the terrified boy. Did you even saw his face when his wish was granted? Ha! So happy! The Demon purred, full of sarcasm. But his face when the ‘father’ that was supposed to love him instead tried to kill him is priceless!

Kyuhyun was about to take a run for it and punch the other’s face but was suddenly frozen on his spot. The Demon lifts his finger up and shook his head with a nasty pout on his black lips. He took a step towards Kyuhyun, and another, and another; until they were face to face with each other. Kyuhyun’s body trembled with wide eyes as the Demon traced his face with the knife.

Didn’t they teach you about manners? Especially.. when talking with ME???

Kyuhyun felt his eyes widened more as he felt a stab in his body.

Sweet dreams, Kyuhyun-ah.

 

 

His vision was going dark every second. His breathing was ragged; and the pain in his torso was making it difficult for him to breathe. He tried his best and blinked his eyes repeatedly to prevent himself from losing consciousness, but his attempt was in vain. Tears of pain and sadness rolled down the side of his face as he realized he isn’t going to make it.

D-Dong.. H-hae…

He coughed, and the blood came gushing out from his pale lips.

Out of his reverie, a blue bird suddenly came out of nowhere and landed on the ground in front of his eyes. He was about to caress its glittering feathers, but immediately retracted his hands as he saw blood on them. It would be a shame if the bird would have blood stains on its beautiful feathers. It tweeted, and he smiled bitterly at it.

Feeling his eyes shutting down, he used his remaining breaths and stated his final message.

T-tell Donghae.. t-that.. I’m sorry..

 

Donghae was standing in front of the class for his report, when suddenly a blue bird came inside their classroom and flew directly towards the boy. Donghae raised his hands to at least have the bird landed on something.

The moment the bird and his finger made contact, a sudden blow of cold wind hit his whole frame softly; making him shiver in familiarity. And he wasn’t aware when his tears started rolling down his cheeks.

I’m sorry..

 

 

Two men came running inside the deep forest; their boots covered in snow and dirt as they looked around to find a certain boy. They searched him four hours; but were fruitless. A sudden tweet however made them stop from their tracks and find a blue bird staring at them in a withered tree; as if signaling them to follow him.

So they did.

But they weren’t prepared on the scene they’ve arrived half an hour later.

 

And for the first time in centuries they had been living, Heechul and Leeteuk shed tears.

 

 

In the center of the Mirror Palace was a fountain.

The Fountain of Life, they called it, and it is where the life of Reflectors is born. So when one reflector born or dies, the fountain glows; signaling the whole palace and every reflector should come as witnesses.

He felt himself running towards that certain room. The spotless white robe that he was wearing earlier was now full of dust, snow and blood; earning him curious, shocked and horrified stares as he strode past several hallways.

But the majesty himself Kim Heechul is busy at the moment to care.

He commanded the guards to open the door; but they were frozen in their place at the sight before them so Heechul doesn’t have much choice but to kick the door hard to open.

Placing the lifeless boy in his arms into the cold water of the fountain, Heechul then shouted his right hand’s name and Leeteuk was there in an instant, handing his scepter to him. He raised both of his hands and with his scepter, conjured a spell.

The ceiling opened revealing its full moon.

Kyuhyun’s body glowed at the light.

 

Bit by bit, turns to glittering dusts and fly into the moon.

 


 

 

The bench creaked as he carefully sits down.

Inhaling the scent of nature, he finds himself closing his eyes and smiling.

“Ah~ I miss this!”

The guy then laughed softly and started playing the grass under his feet. Stretching his arms, he yawned and felt his eyes became teary. He wiped his eyes with his hands and decides to check his phone.

23 new messages

“Geez, what are you, my Mom?” he mumbles and ended up laughing at himself. Shaking his head lightly, he stood up from the bench and let his hands take him to the café nearby. The moment he stepped inside though, he was greeted by a bear hug.

“Haeee~!!!”

Donghae rolled his eyes and hit his best friend in the head, effectively making the other yelp and distance himself from him. “What was that for?!”

“That’s for torturing my phone, you crybaby.”

“I WAS NOT!”

“Yeah, tell that to Sungmin.”

Hyukjae pouted and turned to his boyfriend who is busy making coffee is. “Sungmin.” the guy lifted his head. “Yeah?” he asked as he stops the machine. “I’m not a crybaby, right?” Sungmin’s eyes softened in an instant. “Aww~ Hyukkie~”

“Aish! Fine, fine! I get it.” Hyukjae grumbles and rolled his eyes. Sungmin walked towards him and gave him a peck on his lips. But he was still sulking, so Sungmin turned all violent and kicked him on his groin. “Ow! Minnie-Min! Ow!” he wailed pathetically as he slumped on one of the chairs.

Luckily the café wasn’t opening yet.

“You just kicked my precious little Hyukjae Lee Sungmin! After all those five years pleasuring you using this—“

A sound of a metal cup hitting a skull resonated throughout the café.

Donghae rolled his eyes at Hyukjae’s stupidity.

“ you Lee Hyukjae. I did not need to hear that you lil’ .”

 

 

“How is Donghae, auntie?”

Mrs. Lee fights an urge to cry in front of the boy. “He’s.. far from being okay.”

Hyukjae nodded his head sadly.

After Donghae went home from his date with Kyuhyun yesterday, the boy has been staring out into space since then. His friends and his Mom were worried, but can’t do anything about it when Donghae keeps telling them “I’m okay.” “It’s nothing.” “Don’t worry about it.” and other whatnots.

To say that Hyukjae is angry was even an understatement.

So, when he cornered Donghae in the cafeteria on the 13th day of his miserable state, Hyukjae had lost it.

He punched Donghae in his face, making him fall on the floor.

“The ’s wrong with you?!” he screamed at the top of his lungs, earning all of the crowd’s attention. “Stop ting with us, Donghae! You’re always saying that you’re okay but the truth is you’re far from being okay! We’re always there; at your side, when Kyuhyun left you.” Tears started falling down his cheeks. “But all you did was to ing pretend that you’re okay and all that , when the truth is you’re sobbing inside like the stupid mothering moron you are.” the crowd’s eyes went wide at his vulgar words. Hyukjae just sniffed and glared at them, before turning back to Donghae; who just laid there flabbergasted on the tiled floor. “I always thought that we’re best friends Donghae. BEST FRIENDS. But now I just realized how wrong I was.” He harshly brushed away his tears. “You said don’t worry about you? Fine. ing suit yourself. I am so done here.”

The crowd went to their own businesses as Hyukjae strode past them and left the cafeteria.

Donghae realized that time how stupid he had been to them; they have been at his side all along, even before Kyuhyun, but now he’d wasted their love and effort for him because of his stupidity. While they keep reaching out for him, he keeps ignoring them and isolates himself in a corner. He always felt like he was alone and sad; when the truth is he is the one who keeps himself from receiving love and care.

He’s the sole reason of his misery.

And he hates himself for that.

So he cried his heart and eye out that afternoon, at his bedroom; until he heard a familiar sound.

Tap.

Kyuhyun?

Tap. Tap. Tap.

His eyes flew immediately at the mirror in front of him.

But instead of seeing Kyuhyun’s reflection, for the first time for almost a decade, Donghae once again had his own reflection back.

But where’s Kyuhyun.. ?

The door of his room bangs open.

And a wailing Hyukjae came rushing in.

“I’m so sorry Donghae!!! Please don’t hate me!!!”

He was surprised at his best friend’s sudden outburst; but he let himself being hugged.

And Hyukjae was more surprised when Donghae hugged him back; moreover with his next words.

“I could never hate you, Hyukjae.”

 

As Donghae smiled at his best friend that afternoon, somehow.. somehow it felt like more.. genuine.

 

 

“Mr. Lee?”

Donghae stopped walking and turned around. He greeted the pre-school teacher and bowed. “Ms. Bae”

The teacher smiled fondly at him. “Amber is in the office.”

“Is she hurt?” he asked as they walk towards the Principals Office. Ms. Bae smiled and shook her head.

“She’s not hurt. There was a guy that saved her when she falls down the tree.”

Donghae sighed. Amber was his nephew; the moment she came into their house three years ago, it was all a disaster. Piles of clothes and toys and food were scattered everywhere, and Hyukjae had to bring her outside the garden for him to clean up. Donghae teases Hyukjae that may be Amber was his long lost daughter. The latter just stared at the while the two of them bicker with each other; oblivious that the little girl was already doing a mess inside the house once again.

The moment the teacher opens the door, a crying Amber came rushing on him for a hug.

“Oppa~!” she sniffed and sobbed while Donghae tries to soothe her.

“Are you hurt somewhere?” the girl shook her head. Then she smiled.

“Oppa saved me.” she said and pointed towards the chair beside the Principal’s desk.

 

 

 

Brown eyes meet Jade-green ones.


Irregularly Regular

Chapter 0.4 - Vital

October 31, 2013 - Posted at 1:10 PM