--

And I Confess That I'm Only Holding On By a Thin Thin Thread

"Kim Jongin was the man standing on the corner of the street, waiting, for something, for someone. He didn't quite know who, but he knew why. He needed someone to fix him.
Kim Jongin was the man who stayed after-hours in the dance studio, practicing the moves over and over again until he finally got them right, until they were engraved and etched into every corner of his mine, shining at him when he closed his eyes. It was his entire life, the passion that drove him to keep going.
Kim Jongin was the man who stayed strong when he was hit by the car on his walk home on the crowded streets of Seoul. He stayed strong, smiling through the pain and joking with genuine humor and heartfelt laughter, until he found that he couldn't move his legs. The color drained from his face and he spoke in a panicked voice when he begged the doctor to fix it, to cure him the right way. He finally broke down when they told him that he couldn't dance anymore.
Kim Jongin was the man who needed to sate his pain. Once released from the hospital, no one could stop him from leaving cuts on his legs, which he blatantly stated were beyond useless now. No one could stop him from taking more than the allotted amount of pain killers, because no one knew how.
Kim Jongin was the man who only smiled when his previous doting nurse at the hospital, Do Kyungsoo, would sing in that heavenly voice of his on his weekly visits to Jongin. The visits were personal, and weekly knocks on his door became daily. Jongin was happier then. Kyungsoo was always encouraging him, telling him that he would never dance again if he never tried. Jongin stopped hurting himself then. Kyungsoo quit his job to be the struggling man's personal care-taker. Jongin stopped taking so many painkillers then.
Kim Jongin was the man who fought to get his legs back. Within three years, he could walk without crutches. Within another singular year, he could dance smoothly to simple dances. After two years, a grand total of six years of hard work, Jongin was almost the dancer he used to be.
Kim Jongin was the man who blamed himself for not noticing that Kyungsoo was looking thinner and paler, even though Kyungsoo had hid it from everyone, including his beloved former patient.
Kim Jongin was the man who cried like he did years before over his own disabilities at Kyungsoo's funeral. He tried to read his obituary, but ended up sobbing too hard to read, hand covering his eyes as the lips that had done nothing but smile for the longest time took on a drastically different shape.
Kim Jongin was the man who couldn't live with any other, always proclaimed himself as "taken by an angel", though now it seemed more literal than anything. He became a famous dancer, and he thanked Kyungsoo. He won awards, and he thanked Kyungsoo.
Kim Jongin was Do Kyungsoo's until the very end."


Obituary written by Zhang YiXing, roommate and dance instructor.