Mia: Mirror

Soul-Mates

“It's like you're my mirror

My mirror staring back at me

I couldn't get any bigger

With anyone else beside of me

And now it's clear as this promise

That we're making two reflections into one

'Cause it's like you're my mirror

My mirror staring back at me, staring back at me

 

You are, you are the love of my life”

Mirror- Justin Timberlake

------------------------------------------------

“Argh, why do I have such bad luck with girlfriends?” Kai roared as he stomped through my house and plopped down onto the couch next to me.

I was in the middle of reading one of my favorite books, Dear John, but I set a bookmark and pushed it to the side giving Kai my whole attention. It wasn’t anything knew that Kai let himself into my place; we’ve been best friends since we were born. Our parents were best friends and had bought a house right next to each other to be able to raise their families together.

At first my brother was born and then Kai’s older sister a year after. Of course our parents tried to push them together but they only stayed at good friends, nothing more.

Around 5 years after Kai’s older sister was born, his mom was pregnant with him, and my mom with me.

Our parents were absolutely joyous, excited that their second kids were born in the same year. As toddlers they would always put us together. They would treat us like we were twins, making us wear matching outfits and all that stuff. Heck even our names are similar.

People would think that as we got older we’d grow to dislike the forced closeness, but it is quite the opposite. Kai, his real name is Jongin but according to him only his parents and I are allowed to use it because everyone else makes it sound 'uncool', and I both grew closer and eventually became best friends on our own accord; even Kai’s good group of friends, who called themselves EXO, were my good friends. As the years pass I became more mature. President of my school, I absolutely enjoy helping people and making friends. Kai matured into a very handsome and cunning young man. He’s the school’s heart throb with his looks, personality, and amazing dancing ability.

People would always mention that we’d make a perfect couple being childhood friends and all…

…but things never ended up that way.

“Did you get dumped again?” I shift in my seat, unfolding my legs to let them dangle off the couch. Kai shook his head.

“No. I dumped her this time…I caught her cheating on me,” Kai gave himself a face palm as he switches himself to a laying position, putting his head on my thigh.

I sigh, and pat his bangs in comfort. It hurt me every time he had his heart broken. Why couldn’t he just save himself from the pain of these unfaithful relationships and turn to me?

“You’ll be fine. The Kim Jongin I know is a toughie,” I play with his hair in an effort to console him. He cracks a small smile.

“Eventually, but this time I thought she was the one,” he sighs and pokes at the couch.

“Is Jongin over? I thought I heard his voice!” My mom calls out from the kitchen. She walks into the living room to see that her assumption was correct.

“Hi Mrs. Lee,” Kai sat up and gave her a bow, before he places his head back down onto my lap.

She looks at us, “Aw, look how cute you two are…” she sighs “if only you two were a couple!”

I chuckle, “Sorry mom, Kai’s already rejected my confession twice!”

Kai blushes and scratches his head in embarrassment.

“I know. Those two times were the only two times that she locked herself in her room crying for a whole day,” my mom teases.

Kai’s expression changed into a guilty one.

“MOM!” I pick up the book and cover my face with it, in an attempt to cover my red cheeks.

“Fine, I’m going to work on the garden now to give you two some alone time!” Mom laughs as she makes her way to the back yard.

There was an awkward silence for a while until Kai cleared his throat.

“Sorry…”

Flipping a page in my book, I replied without averting my attention, “Don’t. Don’t apologize. You didn’t do anything wrong by rejecting me. I can’t force you to love me,” My throat burns as I speak.

“But I do love you.”

“As a friend.”

“I’m sorry…” Kai looks away.

“Jongin, stop apologizing…please,” I plead as I flip another page.

He closes his eyes and lets out a sigh, “Mia…how did we end up like this?”

I lower my book a little to glance at his face, “Like what?”

“Like, more than friends but less than lovers…” he glances at me.

“You mean best friends?” My chest tightens.

“No, more than that...”

“Soul-mates?” I throw out the silly idea with a chuckle, not expecting Kai’s answer.

“Yeah, soul-mates,” Kai repeats liking the sound of that word.

“What are you talking about? We aren’t even lovers,” I immediately reply.

He thought about it, “Do soul-mates always have to be lovers?”

“Well…no, I guess,” I answer him honestly.

“See! We’re soul-mates who have been brought together by the Fates for 19 years!” Kai makes a dramatic gesture in the air.

“You mean the Fates, called our parents?” I laugh at his silliness.

He laughs, and his head bobs on my thigh, tickling me, causing even more laughter. We just stayed in that position, laughing whole heartedly for a good minute about stupid things.

 Moments like these…I cherish the most.

Kai finishes off his laugh and his face turns serious, “Can I ask you something?”

I have a feeling that it would be something touchy, but I nod.

“Yeah, go ahead,” I ushered him to ask.

I’m prepared.

“Do you still love me?”

My breath hitches in my throat.

“Yes,” I reply.

“I mean, like more than a friend…” he mumbles and sits himself up.

My heart stops.

My attention is focused on my book, but I could still feel his stare.

I swallow my nervousness and gave him the truth,

“Kim Jongin,” I lock my eyes with his, “I have loved you, I am in love with you, and I WILL love you. As a friend, as a lover, as the person I cherish the most in my life, now and til after forever…

…with all my heart.”

It was embarrassing but I couldn’t lie to him. I had to let him know.

My whole body heated up and my heart felt like it had been set ablaze. I quickly switch my attention back to my book as I catch a smile on his face.

Kai closes his eyes again and leans his head onto my shoulder, tangling his fingers in my hair.

“Thank you,” he whispers.

I suppress the sob in my throat and push back the tempting tears.

“No problem…soul-mate…”

As I hear his soft snores I chuckle. Focusing my attention to the page I left off, and scoff at the irony as I read the next part out loud.

“…I finally understood what true love meant...love meant that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be.” 

Nicholas Sparks, how do you understand me so well?

I continue to read, but my vision starts to blur.

The tears I held back for so long eventually broke through.

I hope, and wish…

…with all my heart…

that one day,

 soul-mates, would have another meaning for us.