up side

amour n'oublie jamais

 

 

“Oh!” was all that escaped my lips. I dIdn’t know what to say. I wasn’t expecting that news. Any attempts I might have started of flirting with Ji at this time seemed pointless.

 

Dongwook or Seven, because of his jersey number, was a member of the basketball team, and who is the captain now as Ji informed me.

 

I don’t remember talking to him before but maybe Byul knew him. I don’t know what happened these last almost 2 years, but hanging out with the popular crowd was not my thing, and Seven was really popular. To say that I am shocked that he is my boyfriend is an understatement.

 

I don’t know how to react to this news. Should I be happy? When I think of the Seven I know, no happy feeling comes to me. I haven’t even thought about him before. Sure he is good-looking and is quite nice but I don’t feel any connection with him but maybe the eighteen year-old me who knows him does. Because I wouldn’t be with him if I didn’t love him right?

 

 

But when I look at Ji, I feel my skin tingling as if a current is passing from him to me, like all the times before.  The sixteen year-old me always thought of him but I don’t know about the ‘me’ now who can’t remember.

 

I used to think how his eyes hid depth and sadness that I want to know; how he rarely smiles but when he does, it’s a gift so rare and beautiful; how he runs faster than all the boys.

 

I used to think he was just testing himself if he could be better than everyone else but he doesn’t seem to care about the fame or prize. I think he runs because he is running away from something.

 

 

 

 

Ji was still holding my hand and my hands felt comfortable in his. A strange sadness fills my heart, that he was here and near to touch only I already have a boyfriend, of whom I don’t have any idea about.

 

But I don’t want to cheat on Seven, not even amnesia is an excuse. Just thinking about Seven makes me dread seeing him and explaining about the amnesia and forgetting about him, while I remember all the things about Ji.

 

No matter what I feel for Ji, it must have been all in the past. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be with Seven now. But maybe it’s not too late for Ji and me to be friends; to correct whatever it was that has gone wrong.

 

Maybe forgetting has a bigger purpose for me; that I could start over with a clean slate.

 

“You know the up side to this?” I asked.

 

He looked at me, his eyebrow rose as if asking “what?”

 

“I have forgotten that you were the bane of my existence. We could be friends you know?” I said, trying to smile at him.

 

“Yeah, we could” he said, attempting half a smile. But I felt like I hurt him somehow.