One

Love Somebody

While everyone was crowding behind the popular boys, I was instead going to the opposite direction. I wasn’t interested in any of them or maybe I already had a boyfriend to begin with. I sighed after barely making out of the crowds, and suddenly there stood my boyfriend, with his perfect smile plastered on his face, a couple steps ahead.

I waved and he came towards me, hugged me tightly until I whispered jokingly how I could not breathe. But somehow, I felt something different when he let go. Like something was wrong. His eyes looked into mine and his lips were apart, but no words came out.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, holding his arm. His fingers slowly removed my hand and I was scared. Scared of what he was going to say next. “I’m really sorry, Yunhee” He said, his voice turned weak, his eyes wandered around us.

“I don’t understand, please just tell me what’s wrong” My sight was blurry and I realized my tears came down like a waterfall. I saw his hands approaching my face but he halted, not by himself but someone else.

I wiped my tears and saw one of my female classmates. I was confused and my stomach was going insane. I stared at her for a long time and she looked nervous. “It’s best if you don’t know” She said, it sounded like a whisper. Then I noticed how her eyes were red and her face looked pale like a ghost. “But I have to know, because he is my boyfriend” I spat, I looked like an immature stubborn kid. They looked at each other and held hands.

My eyes darted to the scene they were making. “What the hell is going on here?”

“We can’t do this anymore, Yunhee. We’re over” His words stab into my heart and I felt like dying. “Fine” I acted confident with my reply, but inside I was a wreck. “But I need to have a reason for this” I continued, my fist were clenching tightly. “We’re engaged” The girl answered silently.

“What?” My voice rose angrily. “How long has it been?” I asked him, while he ignored my eyes.

“Two months” I was speechless, why couldn’t he told me earlier? Why must he hurt me like this?

But that wasn’t it, because I was suspicious of something else. “How?” I was prepared for his answer but my weak outer appearance made it otherwise. They didn’t answer and I had to asked to again to the extend I was screaming.

“I got her pregnant, alright!” He shouted back, then grabbed the girl’s hand and walked out from my sight.

My knees felt wobbly and I fell down on the floor. I was crying so hard for a long time and there was no one to save me from this heartbreak.

 

It was hard to move on from him. The memories just flow into my mind so naturally that I ended up crying once again. I found my way to at least not think of him by studying. I was caught up with all the stress getting into university and I eventually did move on. However forgetting him was impossible.

I got accepted into one of the top university in Korea and I was going to start fresh. New environment, new challenges and also new people. I smiled as I entered the university, holding the acceptance letter. I strolled around the campus and the air was great.

“Are you new here?” A voice interrupted my thoughts. I turned around, seeing a guy with red hair and pale face smiling at me. “Um, yes” I said awkwardly.

“I’m your senior, Min Yoongi” He introduced, taking my hand to shake it. I just nodded at him while he let my hand go. “I was assigned to help the juniors around, so I chose you” He said, still smiling, and few seconds later, I saw his eyes widened at something.

“Wait here” He said before dashing off somewhere. I followed his direction and saw him talking to a guy. After a few minutes, the guy trailed behind him. “So what’s your name?” Yoongi asked me, while the guy kept quiet.

“Shin Yunhee”

“Well, Shin Yunhee, this is Park Jimin” He suddenly introduced him to the quiet guy. I was surprised, literally, I couldn’t say anything after that.

“I figured you guys should be friend since you have the same course here” He explained, crossing his arms like he achieved something great.

“How did you know we have the same course?” The guy, Jimin, asked him. “I saw the paper you both are holding” He stated, pointing at them.

“How did you even –” Jimin spoke, then shook his head. “Nevermind, I need to go now” He walked away from us.

“He’s not the friendly type then” Yoongi said and looked at his watch. “You better go to your class now” He advised and waved at me as I waved back awkwardly.

I was glad I worked hard to come to this university. Everyone seems nice, well, except for Jimin. But I didn’t know anything about him yet. I approached to the first class and got the back seat of the class, then Jimin came into the class few minutes after me.

I raised my eyebrow. Didn’t he leave me and Yoongi first? I figured maybe had to go to the toilet or something.  As I slowly opened my notebook, the teacher came and gave us a talk about our course. My eyes went to the guy in front, listening carefully to teacher. I nodded unconsciously, it seemed like Jimin was a good student despite the mysterious aura he gave out.

The class ended and some students went to their own place and some had other classes. I was heading to the library since I had no class. The library was huge and the light coming through the glass windows was bright. I got excited entering that I didn’t watch where I was going, resulting of bumping into someone.

The books they were holding fell and I panicked. “I’m so sorry” I said, picking up the books. A guy’s chuckle was heard and then I heard a slap, probably on the arm. “Help her, you bully” A girl said, pushing the guy forward but I was already done taking all the books.

“Sorry, he gets lazy at times” The girls said, smiling apologetically. “It’s alright” I replied, giving the books to the guy. “Thanks, by the way” He scratched his head, his smile was unique but it was somewhat shy. The girl pushed the guy to the side, earning a groan from him. “I’m Kim Hana” She introduced warmly and pointed at the guy. “That’s Moon Jongup, he’s weird so don’t talk to him” She whispered the last part.

“Hey!” Jongup shouted, and got another hit from Hana. “We’re in the library”

I laughed quietly watching at the scene. It was obvious that they were a couple, the way the guy looked at the girl only meant one thing; love.  

“We’re first year students, and it seemed like you are too” Hana spoke, and I felt embarrassed because it was clearly seen that I was excited just because of a library. “Yeah” I answered and tilted my head when I saw a figure walking past behind them. Park Jimin.

I was about to excuse myself to talk to Jimin but somehow Jongup turned to look at what was behind him. What happened next was too fast that my brain stayed empty as Jongup pulled Hana away from me and disappearing out from the library.

“That was weird…” I muttered, and glanced at where I found Jimin. Apparently he was actually staring back at me. His expression was unreadable and I didn’t know why I couldn’t move. He slowly came towards me and I was about to greet him when he just passed by me like I was invisible and exited out of the library.

Wow, I just got ignored.

Few days had passed, and I didn’t talk to Jimin at all. But one thing bothered me, Jimin’s eyes were red sometimes and he would sleep in class which was bad. It was just the first week of university and he was like this already. I began to think whether if I should talk to him, but then again we barely knew each other and I couldn’t just barge into his life.

I met Yoongi once in a while and we talked how things were going in my studies. I fought the urge to ask him about Jimin, maybe he knew something and tell me about it. But I was afraid he would be suspicious about me.

“Have you seen Jimin around?” Yoongi asked, one of the days we came across each other. “Nope, why?” I asked, hoping I get a little information. Unfortunately, he just shook his head. “I was just going to say hi to him, I haven’t seen him for a long time” He explained and I just nodded.

Yoongi looked at me weirdly and smiled. “Maybe we should hang out some other time” He suggested. To be honest, I didn’t consider Yoongi as a senior, he was more like a friend and he did even tell me not to call him sunbae. “Maybe we should” I replied then said goodbye since I had class.

As I was about to enter, I saw Hana with someone near the end of the hallway. I halted and leaned back to get a glimpse of the person she was talking to. Her expression was upset, her arms were crossed and she looked tired. I leaned back further and I saw Jimin.

Jimin was staring at the floor, he looked so weak. As much as I wanted to watch them, I had to go to class.

For the long two hours, it felt dreadful. The thoughts of what was the connection between Hana and Jimin were so mysterious and it looked like… they knew each other.

I didn’t know why but my feet brought me to him after class. “Jimin” He spin himself to see me and gave a slight smile.

“Oh, you’re Yunhee, right?” The question gave a sting in my heart but I shooed it off. “Yeah” Suddenly I didn’t know what to say because he didn’t even know my name. I began to panic and my hands felt weak.

“Sorry” I went passed by him immediately. I mentally slap myself. He must have thought I was crazy. I wanted to just a dig a hole to hide my embarrassed self but Yoongi stopped me when he greeted me from afar.

“Did you manage to see Jimin?” He asked. I felt angry suddenly, Yoongi was the one that made me feel like Jimin knows about me. “Can you stop asking where is he, please” I said informally, gritted my teeth. He was shocked about my sudden mood. “I’m sorry” I apologized, I was already felt bad for saying like that to him. “It’s alright, it’s my fault” Yoongi said, patted my shoulder.

“But what’s wrong between you two?” He asked curiously. I held my breath before answering him. “There was nothing between us to begin with” I said, my heart was sinking. Maybe I did get interested in Jimin but I didn’t want to get my hopes to high up until Yoongi kept on talking about Jimin.

Yoongi stared at me, and he knew what I had meant. “Oh God, I didn’t know –” I stopped him with my index finger close to his face. “I’m not, I’m just worried about him” It was the truth to say that. Yoongi gave his first ever hug to me and I felt blessed to have a friend like him after a long time.

Yoongi never mentioned about Jimin after that day and I found myself getting more worried about Jimin. I spotted him a few times in the library, too absorbed in his studies. Sometimes I saw him walking with Hana, and a couple of times my heart clenched tightly.

But I still hadn’t figure out what was their relation especially Jongup was Hana’s girlfriend. I wanted to ask Jongup whenever I saw him passing by me but again, I was just a nobody to Jimin. However today was different when Hana appeared right in front of me.

“Hey” She greeted, taking a seat across of me. We were at the library and no one was at our section. I greeted her with a nod.

“So I’m having a party at my house, do you want to come?” She asked. Will there be Jimin? I wanted to ask that, but I wasn’t in the position to ask that. “When?”

“This Saturday, it’s just close friends party kind of thing” She stated, still waiting for my answer. “Um I guess?” My answer sounded unsure but she just took it easily with a smile. “Good, I’ll text you my address”

Saturday came and I was nervous what was behind the doors. I was afraid to face Jimin when I still couldn’t figure out what feeling I had for him. I didn’t want to get to close to him but he was making me curious and worried of him at the same time.

I knocked on the door and revealed well-dressed Jongup on the doorway. “Come on in, Yunhee” His eyes disappearing and his hand gestured to go in. I hesitated to go in then I saw Yoongi behind the door. “Yunhee!” He shouted happily but his smile turned into a frown. “And Jimin” I felt his body closed to mine and his steady breath near my neck.

I rushed into the house quickly before Jimin says something. I didn’t know what was going on me, Jimin was a guy that I barely know and far from someone who I could trust. A hand gripped my arm and dragged me into the living room. When I saw who it was, my lips were dried up and I was stunned. Jimin looked at my weird behavior.

“Are you alright?” His voice rang into my ears, it sounded so soft and nice. I was starting to get crazy. “Yunhee?” He spoke again, and I blinked multiple times. “Yeah, I’m alright” I replied quickly, facing at something else, instead of him.

He smiled, my eyes saw it when he did it. I tried to smile back but it was too hard. “I gotta go somewhere” I told him and he nodded off. I went out of the room as I looked back, he was talking to Hana, again.

My palm turned a fist and I was just mad.

“You’ll hurt yourself” Jongup said, he just came out of the kitchen with his drink. I released my fist and smiled weakly to him. “I know what’s going on” He mentioned calmly, now looking at the scene his girlfriend and Jimin were making.

“Let’s go to the kitchen, I have to tell you something” He went in first and I followed behind him. I wasn’t sure what he was saying but when he told me everything, it left me turned quiet for a long time. “It was the hardest time of our lives” Jongup said, rubbing his temples gently. “We couldn’t even contact him and when we found out he was going in the same university as us, we were happy”

“But he changed, a lot. Hana’s been talking to him about stuff” He said, his expression stiffened before he continued. “Seems like he hasn’t moved on”

I knew there was something wrong between Hana and Jimin, some part of me was glad that I didn’t get close to him. I knew that I would make a mistake again if I did get close to him. And some parts of me, I was sad he didn’t move on yet.

Jongup and I didn’t exchange any words after that, we both went to different friends to interact and I tried not to talk to Jimin. Yoongi would come by once in a while to make sure I was fine. I was getting tired but luckily, I wasn’t the only one. The party ended and I sighed at the thought I had to walk to my house alone.

I was about to depart from the house when I heard Jimin called me.

“Hey Yunhee”

I stood like a statue and said a tiny ‘yes’. My hopes grew big that maybe he would walk me home, and then it crashed down when I thought it was impossible.

“See you on Monday” He said, scratching his neck. I couldn’t help but to be disappointed. “Yeah, sure whatever” I replied, quickened my pace away from him. I was a fool to make things so suspicious to Jimin. And I wasn’t excited to see him on Monday.

When Monday came, I was ready to just forget about him. I told myself not to get worried or even near curiosity about his life. All I had to do was study my off and get a good job, and having a distraction was simply a no.

Getting rid of Jimin in my head was difficult since I had the same classes as him so physically and mentally he was there with me. I always hated whenever I liked a guy but he didn’t even know me and all I could do was being a creeper from a far.

And yes, I had a tiny feeling for Jimin.

I couldn’t bring myself to talk to him because I was scared that it might happen all over again like how my ex-boyfriend did to me, especially when I didn’t know Jimin that well.

“Hey Yunhee” Jongup came to my side when I was walking at the hallway. He was carrying a lot of books in his hand and a backpack on his back. “You’re strong” I complimented him and chuckled. “Yeah, I am. Maybe that’s why Hana likes me” He replied childishly and laughed at himself.

“What’s up?” I asked, after a couple of laughter. “I wanted to ask you about Jimin”

I stopped my tracks and stared at him. “Why?”

“Because you’re Shin Yunhee” He reasoned, I wasn’t impressed at his reasoning. “Can you do me a favor?” He asked, ignoring my looks at him. “Can you help him move on?”

After hearing Jongup’s favor, I didn’t know what to do. But I ended up being in front of Jimin in the library. He was surprised to see me when I came directly towards him. “Hey Jimin”

“Oh hey, Yunhee” He replied, closing the book he was reading. “So… how are you?” I asked awkwardly. I was a definition of awkwardness. He smiled and placed his book on the desk. “I’m fine, you?”

“I’m fine too” I answered. The silence hit us both and I was stupid enough to know that this was a wrong move. “How’s your studying?” I managed to break the silence and smiled. “It’s good, but I’m kinda stuck with this one part of the section” He took his notebook and flipped through the pages until he found a page filled with scribbles.

“I didn’t pay attention to the teacher that day” He told me, feeling a little embarrassed. I scanned the page and it was something I understood. “I could help you” I blurted out. Jimin’s expression turned into somewhat regretful.

“I already told Hana to teach me, sorry”

Hana.

“Oh” That word slipped from lips and it was obvious that I was disappointed. I fidgeted with the hem of my shirt and I sighed afterwards. “Well I have to go now” I said, didn’t even glance at him as my legs brought me out of the place.

I called Jongup what had happened and he apologized if it made me feel worst. It did, but I didn’t want to give up just yet. I asked Yoongi if he was willing to help me and it took several offers to let him help me. “Ok so you’ll buy the ice creams until Jimin moved on, right?”

I rolled my eyes and nodded. “Good, I need to save my money for my girlfriend” He giggled like a little kid. “Since when did you have a girlfriend?”

“Last year” He answered. He never mentioned anything about his girlfriend to me. “Why? Are you jealous?” He asked jokingly while raising his eyebrows teasingly. I pushed him off and frowned. “Of course not, why would I even like you”

“Right, cause’ you like Jimin”

I stared at him and he was smiling like a fool. “I do not” I objected angrily. “Don’t lie to me, I know you like him” He said, still smiling. I was feeling frustrated that I wanted to wiped his smile off his face. “Don’t worry, I’ll keep it a secret” He said, moving forward to the ice cream shop. “Come on, that money of yours is waiting to get out of your wallet” He yelled and laughed loudly as he entered the shop.

“What a bully” I growled then walked to the shop.

Few weeks had passed, and nothing worked. Yoongi and I tried to make Jimin busy by giving him work to do and he even joined dance club so he got himself busy as well. But that didn’t make him lose interest on Hana.

I spoke to Hana when we would see each other and she said she couldn’t tell Jimin that he should move on. She let him talk to her and mentioned about their relationship sometimes and it got her into a difficult situation, especially when Jongup wasn’t around.

I didn’t tell her anything about my feelings about Jimin because maybe it was just a crush and I didn’t like the fact I actually like Jimin.

Suddenly I was falling deeper into his spell. I began to think about him, again, almost every minute. I would like out a sigh whenever I see him talking to other girls and my heart crashed whenever he was with Hana. I was simply a mess. I didn’t want any high school love anymore; I was an independent young adult studying in university.

I wanted to change, but Jimin was a distraction. I had to do something about it. I called Yoongi for advised and I gained nothing. He kept joking around and teasing me and I hung up straight away. I spotted Jimin that day when I went to class, he was smiling brightly and he even waved me.

“Hey Jimin, do you want to hang out today?” I asked. He looked shocked at my question and I silently hoped that he wasn’t going to be with Hana again.

“Yeah, sure” He replied. “After class?” He asked, his presence slowly made my heartbeat increasing too fast and I just nodded before heading to the back.

I made my mind that maybe I wouldn’t like Jimin that much if I hung out with him and getting to know him. Maybe he had bad habits that would make me be disgusted or maybe he was someone rude and unwelcoming so I could just easily forget about him.

We made our way out of the university and I brought him to the ice cream place where Yoongi and I always went. He chose chocolate ice cream and I chose strawberry, as he insisted to pay, I reluctantly agree and went to an empty seat.

“So anything to talk about?” He asked, his face was so close to mine and I took a long look at his face. His eyes were mesmerizing, his nose was cute and his lips looked so kissable at that moment. I was too focused at his face that I forgot to answer him back.

“Yunhee?”

“Oh sorry, I was thinking of something”

“Is it about me?” I saw his lips curved into a playful smirk and I just saw a different side of him. “No” I lied, my heart felt like bursting out when he came closer to me. “You got some ice cream near your lips” He was about to wipe it but I was faster to wipe it off by myself. “Thanks” I whispered, and he leaned back.

“I heard you’re the dance club” I said, throwing out topics that popped in my head. “Yeah” He smiled happily. “I love to dance” He said, his eyes sparkled when he began to talk about dancing. I listened through the whole story. I didn’t get bored but I was just falling more for him. He was hardworking and passionate, it almost reminded me of my… ex-boyfriend.

Jimin continued to talk and I was beginning to get dizzy. Jimin reminded me so much of my ex, suddenly I felt like I shouldn’t trust him. What if we did get together and in the end he would leave me for someone else?

My face showed I was in discomfort and Jimin saw it. His hand held my arm and I looked afraid. “Yunhee, are you alright?”

My ex’s face flashes through my eyes and I was shaking hard. I stood up from my seat and ran out of the shop, leaving Jimin alone, speechless.

I thought I was done with my ex that I finally moved on. But I hadn’t. It was like a whole bunch of heavy stones on my shoulders again. How could I even think Jimin could replace my ex when Jimin himself couldn’t even move on?


So I came back with this story (probably two or three shots) after a year. You guys would realised it is a complicated story (it wasn't supposed to be that way, but it did) Next chapter would be more deeper relationship between Yunhee and Jimin so please wait for it!!

Subscribe and comment if you have any. Thanks!