Chapter 1 - Don’t Don

Off My Mind

 

‘Don’t you dare, Henry.’

I jumped a bit when I was about to reach for the laptop on the couch. I cowered slightly from the intense glaring of the owner of the voice.

‘But…but hyung, I’m just--‘ I stuttered in my broken Korean and sighed inwardly.

‘But what? I’ve told you many times to just ignore the antis! They don’t know talent when they see one. Pshh~ stupid people~’ Heechul said.

I smiled at that, and deeply grateful that the Super Junior members are treating me nicely and giving encouragements to me when their “Only 13” fans are protesting outside the dorm besides those on silent protest outside the company.

‘Yah, are you afraid? I thought nothing can bring you down? Seems like you’re a chicken after all, huh?’ , Kangin suddenly appeared on the doorway, just coming back from his schedule.

I smiled meekly in answer, Kangin-hyung is always like that. Acting all tough guy who don’t care for anything when he’s the one who scared the antis away everytime we were going out for Don’t Don performance. I wouldn’t know if not for Ryeowook-hyung telling me about it.

That evening, we were all gathered at the backstage of Musicbank. I can vaguely hear some fanchants calling out “Only 13”. I gulped nervously while waiting for my part.

‘Hwaiting! We are Super Junior!’ We all called out before going on stage. As I was watching on the side, I saw many ELFs holding placards showing their support for their biases and also some…well, bashing me, to put it politely.

My spirits that was high started to go down the drain but then I caught sight of one particular banner saying “Henry Lau, fighting! Don’t you dare give up! Ignore all the antis! We’re here for you^^  WE LOVE YOU!”. It was put right in front of the stage, where it seems the fans have managed to hold it up despite being surrounded by the “Only 13er”. My spirit rose up as I strode confidently on stage for my solo part.

 

Kyuhyun-hyung caught my eyes and give me a thumbs-up pointing to the banner, the first ever, that supports me. I smiled at him and played my part to perfection, ignoring the jeers from the antis calling me off and some even turned off their lightsticks.