Ruined (Kaiminzy)

A Doda Special

The cupcake pan looks lovely with the brownie batter that he had made earlier on. Resting on purple decorated paper cups after cooling, Jongin decorates the last few cupcakes with pink frosting, yet another favourite colour of his girlfriends’. He definitely has the talent to decorate the desserts, who knew that baking is so much fun and easy; not that he will ever admit to his guy friends, EVER! Sticking out his tongue out of habit, he rolled out the pink fondant to spell out the remaining letters of his girlfriend’s name in large dollops. Z-Y, that was easy. Exchanging the pink frosting with blue, he draws patterns on the letters of his lover’s name before changing to a yellow frosting similarly to the words, Happy B-day. To add on, he sprinkled small edible pearls, crumbs and some other decorations to give the muffins some colour and pattern. Minji will love it! That savouring taste, the lingering smells and of course the awesome that follows afterwards. It’s the perks of having a birthday only 4 days apart. NOT!

He had his share of surprise from his girlfriend, a wonderful birthday carefully planned out with the sweetest gift of his favourite, customized Dr Dre headphones meant for him alone, a detailed colour combination that represents both their colours. Yet, despite the great gift and surprise he got, he ruined it all when he forgotten about her birthday because of an overseas schedule that took place on that special occasion. Yes, she understood, Gong Minji is just cool that way, but what kind of boyfriend is he to even let something as important as that slipped from him? ‘It’s okay, you were busy’ was all she replied when he apologizes with a belated birthday message.

In hopes to make up for a forgotten celebration, Jongin decided to find a present for her during his trip, one that he hopes is a rare find. Searching every nook and cranny for a special gift, he end up settling with a custom made Classic Cursive 14k Gold Necklace that has the letters of her name designed, cut, polished and chained, similar to Carrie Bradshaw’s in and the City, a show his girlfriend enjoys watching during her free time. He even called the delivery company to send the gift to their shared home, specifically during the times when he is there to collect the parcel without the presence of his lover. Everything went perfectly well until their poodles decides to tear the parcel and scratch the gift box with their sharp teeth during a fight. The kids were reprimanded of course but the ruined box that contained the necklace however, is beyond repair.

It’s almost two weeks past his girlfriend’s birthday now (due to the delivery of the necklace) and he thought he is able to surprise her by baking some muffins with a birthday message on it when she get back from her overseas schedule later that night. Looking back at the mess on the countertop of the kitchen now, he let out a string of curses at how those perfect boyfriends in movies made it seem easy. The perfect tweaking done in those scenes to make baking effortlessly done manage to fool him, BIG TIME! His brownie that he hoped turned out perfect is disfigured and crumbly but to make it all worst, the taste was bland and lacklustre that it belongs in the bin. Then again, being the smartass he is, he thought the coloured fondant is able make the brownie stay in place and help portray his message despite the taste but his decorating skills is almost close to none. Some letters are illegible (M that looks as a mirrored N and a Y that looks as an X) and those decorations he hoped to cover his mess probably look worst that what his 6 year old nephew is able to do.

Groaning in frustration, Jongin looks at the time. He still has a couple of hours to try the second batch of brownies before his girlfriend is back. Calling Kyung Soo hyung, he hopes to get some emergency help before time runs out but just as he waits for the call to get through, he heard some shuffling followed by a familiar husky laughter. Frozen in his spot, he ignored the panic voice of his hyung’s from his phone (Jongin? Are you there? Oh god, did you faint? I’m coming over!) before he heard the engaged line. He breathed in the addictive scent from his girlfriend who was already hugging his stiff body from the back as she lays her head comfortably on him.

“Thank you jagiya,” she mumbled her words through the back of his shirt as he slowly relaxed from her presence, “you’re too sweet, it’s adorable!”

Slowly pulling her hands away from his waist, he turned to face her and pulled her back into his embrace. Resting his chin on the crown of her head, Kai took in the scent that he loves. As he let his senses took over his body, he enjoys the hug and he temporarily turns a blind eye to the mess that he had just made in the kitchen earlier.

“You look extremely cute in my purple apron though,” her husky chuckles filled the silent kitchen.

 Jongin almost immediately break away from her as he stared at himself and blush in embarrassment. He was supposed to look chic and cool after baking but he looks nothing as those dashing men giving the best surprise to their partner in movies. Damn him for believing the entire nuisance the media portray of a perfect boyfriend!

His eyes widen when he saw Minji reaching for the cupcake of brownie that hold the letter B. Bewildered, Jongin shout a loud NO but he was too late when a small piece of the horrible cake he bakes enters his girlfriend’s mouth. His hands were on her cheeks by the time she was chewing and he saw how her expression changes in a mere second from bliss to confusion and then settles with a frown before she swallows the brownie.

He leaned his forehead onto hers, still holding on to her cheeks, he expects her to lash out at him for wasting the ingredients to bake a failed brownie but before he comprehends the situation, he heard her laughter yet again. Opening his eyes slowly, he felt a soft peck on his lips that he deepens almost immediately because of her absence from his side for the past few days. Pulling away to fill oxygen into his constricted lungs, he saw the bruised and rosy lips that he had caused from the kiss.

“I miss this,” Minji whispered to him and he smile instantly but just before he gets to gloat, she continued, “Your brownie tastes bad, but I love you nonetheless for trying.”

Jongin laughs at his failed attempt as he responds, “I love you too babe, happy belated birthday,” he wishes, distracting her with a kiss as he secretly took out the customized necklace and brought it around her neck to secure it. As the kiss got heated, he found himself trapping her body to the countertop before moving his lips to her neck to her sensitive spot but before he goes further, a frantic series of knock was heard at the door. The panic voice that was heard through the door confirms his hyung’s presence and he groans at the interruption. Leaning his head on Minji’s shoulder momentarily to gather himself from showing a tent in his pants, he lets out a huff before stomping to the door and opens it.

“JONGIN, YOU’RE FINE!” Kyung Soo shouted at his face.

“Yes hyung, I am,” he replied, wincing at the loud voice of his hyung.

“OMG! I WILL KILL YOU IF ANYTHING HAPPENS! MINJI MIGHT KILL ME FOR LEAVING YOUR PATHETIC SELF ALONE IN THE APARTMENT PROBABLY DOING SOMETHING STUPID AGAIN!” his hyung blabbers as he enters the apartment and push Jongin aside.

“Hyung… she is here…” Jongin trails his hyung but his voice was drowned by another loud shout of his hyung.

“Hi Minji!” his hyung greeted his girlfriend happily before turning to face him but it was not long before he turned back to Minji, “OH MINJI!”

Jongin sighed in frustration as he heard his gibberish and loud hyung disrupting his moment with his girlfriend. Crossing his arms to show his annoyance, he saw a laughing Minji behind his hyung as she mouthed out, ‘I love you’ along with a heart made with her arms over her head. Seeing how she is touching and admiring the necklace after noticing its presence on her, he quietly shuts his hyung’s endless rant as he watches her with a loving gaze.