Part 1

When I Was Your Man

 Bold — phone conservation

Italic — flash back

 

 


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    “Tell me! When will you bring someone home and introduce her to me?” a woman on the other line questioned.

“Mom, you know that I’m busy with my job right now!” The man in his mid-thirty told his mom.

“All of my friends’ have grand-children, you know how envious I am when the kids runs to theirs grandmother and hugs them. I also want my grand-children to hug me!” The woman sounds like she was on verge of tears.

“Mom…”

“You are not young anymore. For goodness sake you’re already 35! What about that girl…Soo…Sooyeon”

His breath hitched when hearing the named that been long since mentioned.

“Mom I’m driving right now. I’ll talk to you later k, bye.”

“Wait—”

He ended the call, not wanting to hear anymore complains from his mother. While driving his mind drifted back to the conversation he just had with his mother ‘What about that girl…Soo…Sooyeon. Sooyeon. Sooyeon. Sooyeon.’ the named rings in his ears. It have been 7 years since he heard that names and it bring back painful memories in him that he had been trying to buried. He knows that he was the person to blame; he was the reason why she left. ‘Are you living well? Did you find someone already?’

 

Arriving at a big building, he parks his car, shutting the engine before getting out of the car. Entering the building he greeted the security guard, it been a week since he last came home, he had been living in his office busy with work, only came home to take a shower and would be leaving the next minute.

Opening the mail box, he found bunch of letters; taking a quick scan, it was mostly monthly bills and then he saw a letter that was different from the others it was a big, white square envelope. Not paying much interest to it he moves to the next letter.

Walking through the corridor he stops in front of a door ‘7B’ it read. Unlocked the door he was greeted with darkness, walking inside his hand searches for the light switch, when the room fills with light he drop the mails onto the coffee table and walks to the bedroom.

 

Walking out of the shower, he looks at the clock on the wall it was 7:30 p.m., usually at this hour he would still be behind his desk working but lucky for him he finished his work early today. He should feel happy and relieves, but somehow he felt tired and restless he just wants to go to bed already. Looking at the empty bed train of memories crosses his mind.

 

“Honey, wake up~” an angelic voice called him. But he was too tired to respond to the calling only gives a grunt “Umm…”

“Honey wake up, you said you’re going to accompany me to my friend party.” The voice became stricter.

“I have to work overtime last night and this morning, I want to sleep.” He said not opening his eyes to look at the pouting girl.

“But you promise.”

“But I’m really tired, can’t you take your friend with you? I really want to sleep.” He apologetic pats his girlfriend thigh and turned to the other side and sleep.

 

 

*Ring, ring, ring*

The ringing disturbed his thought, looking at the phone on the coffee table; he picked it up looking at the caller I.D. before answer.

“Hello”

“Hey, how are you feeling?” the voice sound too cheerful.

“I’m fine, this is so random of you to called just to asked how I’m feeling”

“What, can’t I call my friend and ask about their life?”

“Sorry, I was just surprised.” He smirked.

“……hey, as a friend that knows you more than ten years how are you holding up?”

“What are you talking about?”

“I know that you’re not the person that tell the others your feeling, but don’t act strong with me Tae-ah, I know you’re hurting”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“Didn’t you get the letter?”

“What letter?”

“Don’t tell me you don’t know anything?!”

“What are you talking about Sooyoung? What letter?”

“She is getting marry.” the voice was barely audible.

“Who?” he paused somehow getting the idea, he looks down at the pile of letters, running his hands all over the letters. He paused looking at the white envelope that he just saw just a while ago, with shaking hand he pick up the letter. The phone that was on his ear now on the floor with the ripped envelope, his eyes staring blankly at the white template in his hands.

 

 

 

 

TOGETHER WITH THEIR PARENTS

 

Jung Soo-Yeon

&

Kim Hyo-Yeon

 

REQUEST THE HONOUR OF YOUR PRESENCE AT THERE MARRIAGE

ON SUNDAY,

07/07/13

AT SIX O’CLOCK IN THE EVENING

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon with mix-expression, don’t know if he should laugh or cry about this. Looking at the name he let out a bitter laugh “Kim Hyoyeon” he know the name, the person was one of Korea’s top dancer and also his peered in college. He knew that Jessica liked Hyoyeon in college but never would he have thought that they would marry each other.

 

“Taeyeon, you should’ve meet Hyoyeon, he is totally hilarious!”

 

“Taeyeon, you should’ve seen Hyoyeon dance he was like a professional.”

 

“Taeyeon, did you know Hyoyeon won Street Jam when he was only 13?”

 

“Taeyeon, you wouldn’t guess what happen today? I got partnered up with Hyoyeon for the semester!”

 

He knows that Jessica had a little crushed on Hyoyeon because the guy can dance, she always had a thing for a guy that can dance and he is just horrible at it. He knows that she was not the type to cheat but he became jealous of Kim Hyoyeon whenever Jessica mentions his name even though he never met the guy. He almost tried to have a talk with the guy to tell him that Jessica is off limit, but the names was slowly forgotten when Hyoyeon left for the States to learn more dance techniques. Yes, Jessica did feels a little down when she heard the news but she soon recovered and was by his side again. Then how did Jessica and Hyoyeon meet again? Because when Hyoyeon came back to Korea he was already a famous international dancer and was unreachable. But then it hit him.

 

Taeyeon was late for work; his alarm clock wasn’t on so now he was running around the house, he was trying to button up his shirt with a slice of bread hanging out his mouth, a comb in his hand. Jessica was helping him tying his tie. Seeing that she was in a good mood this morning, he want to ask the reason but he was in such a rush to even say anything.

“You wouldn’t guess who I saw last night?” she said as she put on his suit, while he checks the files not listening.

“I saw Hyo-“

“Why don’t we talk about that later, I have to go. Bye.” He pecks her lips and ran out the house.                                                                                         

 

How can he be so stupid? …He couldn’t blame Hyoyeon for taking his girl because it was his fault that they turned out like this.

 

“Where are you?” the voice over the phone was furious.

“In my office” he said blankly.

“We were supposed to have dinner together!”

“What am I supposed to do? I have works to do!”

“Work. Work. Work. Is that all you think of? Do you even know how important this dinner is?!” she yelled.

“No I don’t. It just a dinner, we can do it another time.”

“There will be no other time! I will give you thirty minutes and by that time you are not home. We are through.”

“Fine then, do whatever you want” he ended the called not wanting to hear anymore argument.

 

At that time he was angry at her for not understands that all the work he did was for her, for them. And when she tried to threaten him by using ‘we’re over’ he wasn’t going to fall for it, he have heard it many times but in the end she will always come back to him. But that night she really did meant what she said, when he came home late in the night she was gone.

 

He opened the door to a dark apartment, walking inside he didn’t bothered to call out his lover’s name, knowing she would be in her apartment or her parent’s house crying. He knows what he did was wrong but she would be back in his arms again once he apologizes and make up for the dinner. Not giving much thought about the consequence he will faces, he drag his lifeless body to the bedroom and dropped onto the bed without taking his suit off. 

Early in the morning about 4 o’clock he woke up from a nightmare; he saw Jessica walking he tried to call her but she just kept on walking and soon enough she was gone. Feeling thirsty he went out to the kitchen for some water, he stops on track once he reached the kitchen; there he saw plates of food on the dining table. He went closer to observed, the foods was cold and a little burnt, thinking if Jessica cook the food he turned and see piles of unwashed dishes in the sink. Picking up the crumbled tissues on the table, it seems like she has been crying while waiting for him judging by the burnt out candle sticks. Immediately waves of regret hit him, she did all of this for him but what did he do in return? He hurts her.

Dashing to the bedroom to retract his cell phone, dialed her number hoping she would pick up, but he was sent to the voicemail. He dialed her number over and over again but every time he was sent to the voicemail, he try calling her house and her parents but to no-avail. Impatiently he walked around the room trying to figure out where she would be, he stopped upon seeing the opened closet.

“No…no this can’t be…she would not do this…No” he told himself, but slowly his nightmare was coming true. With slow step he walked to the closet, sliding it open his heart stops upon seeing the half empty closet. Her clothes were no longer there, everything that belonged to her was all gone, only the stuff he bought for her was behind.

 

After that he tried everything to reach her, her phone was disconnected; her friends didn’t bothered to talks to him and also her parents. But luckily the security’s of the building told him that that night a hooded man ran into the building with no sense of direction, phone in his ear he sounded panic “I’m here….what floor are you on?....I’ll be there soon…don’t cry…”and about an hour later or so he walked out the place with a suitcase and a woman was walking beside him. She looks like Jessica.  

 


Hey guys! Long time no see...

 

 

hope none of you guys forgot me!

Next chapter coming soon...