Wendy

Peter Pan

I look up to make sure that I am in front of the right class. 10-1. Yep, right. This is my class back then, when I met Aeri, my first best friend after years sticking with Baekhyun. I still remember those innocent glint in her eyes when she offered her hand for a handshake, asking me to be her friend.

 

-Flashback-

Another new academic year. Separated from Baekhyun, I entered my new class for the new year. 10-1. I glanced at a piece of board indicating the room’s name. Yep, right. 10-1. Entering a half-full class, I make my way to the corner at the far back of the class. Seating myself on the seat near the window, I propped my elbow on the table, I throw my gaze outside the window. Until a tap on my shoulder steal my attention.

 

“Hi!” a girl beamed cheerfully. She wears the same school uniform with me, but her looks is somewhat unfamiliar. But I replied with a smile anyhow.

 

“I’m new here.” she explain. Well, that explains her unfamiliar look. “Is this seat occupied?” she pointed the vacant seat beside me. “Mind if I sit here?”

 

“Nope. Go ahead..” I nodded, moving my belongings under my table.

 

“I’m Shin Aeri..” she offered her hands for a handshake. A wide smile plastered all over her face.

 

“Jung Hyemi..” I shake her hand, replying with a small smile.

 

“Ah, Hyemi? That’s a beautiful name..” she gaze dreamily. “Then, Hyemi, since I’m new here, will you be my first bestfriend?”

 

I was startled for a second. Since I never had any other best friend other than Baekhyun, I was kind of taken aback and not know how to react.

 

But seeing those hopeful and innocent eyes of hers, I finally smiled and nodded. “Sure!”

 

It was lunch time. I was chatting with Aeri when Baekhyun approaches us.

 

“Hey, Tink!” he greeted me. “How’s your first day? It that we’re in different class this year.” he pouted.

 

“It’s great so far. Oh, and by the way, Pete, this is Aeri, my new friend. Aeri, this is Baekhyun.” I introduced them to each other.

 

“Ah, you’re Hyemi’s new friend? Well, since you’re Hyemi’s friend, then you’re my friend as well.” Baekhyun offered his hand for a handshake.

 

After exchanging handshake, Aeri squinting her eyes at me and Baekhyun. Looking at us with accusing, yet playful eyes, she stated “You two are lovers, aren’t you?”

 

Baekhyun burst into laughter. “Of course not.. She’s my best friend. Right, Tink?” he nudged my shoulder.

 

For some reasons, my heart clenched painfully at Baekhyun’s statement. Even though I know, that it was true. I let out a fake smile, hoping that no one can read my eyes.

 

“But what’s with those nicknames? Pete, Tink?” Aeri asked, still curious.

 

“Well, it’s just something we have ever since we’re young. Peter Pan & Tinkerbell, that’s how we called each other.” Baekhyun explains. One of his hands rested on the back of my chair casually. A gesture that maybe he did unconsciously, but making my heart rate increases by a few bars.

 

She looks at us with sceptical eyes momentarily before she proceed chomping her bento lunch. “Okay then, I’ll let it pass for now..”

 

While Aeri’s busy munching her lunch, Baekhyun leans to my ears and whispers “She’s really cute..”

 

My heart freeze for a moment. But regaining my composure, I smacked his shoulder, “Did you just checking my friend out?”

 

He stiffled a laughter, “Can’t help it..”

 

Deep down in my heart, thousands pieces of shards piercing my heart. ‘Because you are just his Tinkerbell, Hyemi.. Because you can only have him until his Wendy come..’

-End of flashback-

 

A drop of unwanted tear escaped my eyes, as I proceed to the last place. Where my Peter Pan united with his Wendy, and Tinkerbell lost her gleam.