Neverland

Peter Pan

Striding back to the playground - or our so-called Neverland - I sat myself back to the swing. But this time, Baekhyun put his hand on my shoulder, pushing me until the swing is moving slowly. Then he sit on the swing beside me and starts swinging himself.

 

A comfortable silence enveloped us. Only the creak of rusty iron was heard every time the swing moving back and forth.

 

“Hey, Peter..” I called him, fixing my eyes to the sand below my feet.

 

“Hmm?” he hummed in response.

 

“Remember why we named this place Neverland?” I kicked a stone near my foot. My lips unknowingly curved into a small smile.

 

He chuckled. “Of course. It’s me who named it afterall..”

 

My mind wanders off to past by itself.

 

-Flashback-

It’s a day before the play. I was practising my line with Baekhyun. After a while, he sat himself on the swing and starts swinging himself back and forth. He stomped on the ground harder, making him swing higher.

 

“Ah, I don’t want to grow up!” he groaned.

 

“Why?” I asked him, while swinging myself slowly on the swing beside him.

 

“Because becoming an adult is troublesome.” he stated. His swings slows down and now he match my swinging rhythm. “If only I was Peter Pan. I mean, for real. And Neverland is real.” he gaze to the sky. Rolling his script, he use it as a telescope. “I wonder if somewhere out there, a place called Neverland actually exist?”

 

“Then why don’t we make our own Neverland?” I beamed. “ A place where we don’t have to grow old.. Just for us. Sounds fun right?”

 

He tapped his finger on his chin. “That’s a good idea!” he gleamed. “Then how about here? This playground is our Neverland?”

 

I clapped my hands in acceptance. “And so you can still be Peter Pan.”

 

“And you can still be Tinkerbell!” he grinned and lying on the sand ground. “When we become Peter Pan and Tinkerbell, we can stay friends forever right?”

 

I lay beside him and hummed in response. “Can we still be friends after we grow up?”

 

He sat straight. “Of course. Then, how about we make a promise?”

 

“What promise?”

 

“Follow after me, okay?” he inhale. “We, Peter Pan and Tinkerbell promised.”

 

“We, Peter Pan and Tinkerbell promised.” I mimicked his word.

 

“That we will stay friends forever..”

 

“That we will stay friends forever..”

 

He then spit on his hand and offer a handshake with me.

 

“Eww, that’s gross.” I snickered.

 

“But this is how they done it in Peter Pan movie!” he whined, defending himself.

 

Hesistant, but I finally mimicked his gestures and shake our hand.

 

“Then, what should we play now… Tink?” he raised his eyebrows in playful manners. “Shall we have a race? Who can swing the highest, gets a wish!”

 

“I’m on… Peter!”

 

Both of us laughing like there’s no tomorrow.

-End of flashback-

 

Ending my own imaginary movie, I glanced at Baekhyun who have a foolish smile plastered all over his face while swinging slowly.

 

“Hey Peter!” I smacked his shoulder. “What’s with that creepy smiles?”

 

He rubbed his damaged shoulder. “You’re still feisty as ever, Tink..” still with a smile on his face, he gaze blankly at the sky. “Just remember how happy our childhood was..”

 

Baekhyun glanced at his wristwatch. “My lunchbreak is almost over. I have to go back to office now. Need a ride?”

 

I shook my head. “Got my own car. I still want to be here a little bit longer anyway.” I smiled at him. “Ah, and thanks for the lunch..”

 

He throw his gummy smile - the same as I always remember. “Anytime, Tink.. It was a great nostalgia. Thanks for reminding me again. So, see you again?”

 

I nodded and waved my hands to him. “Drive safely.”

 

As Baekhyun drive away, I continued my flashbacks. The part when I fall in love with Baekhyun.