Chapter 3: One Way Ticket

Reaching for the Stars (별에 도달)

You wake up with the deepest feeling of despair in your heart. You've dreaded for this day would come, though this is incredibly selfish of you. You roll on your bed to turn and face your bedside table. You sigh and grab the polaroid photograph you took with JongIn about a week ago at the competition. You are holding the camera, playfully smiling as JongIn peaks in closely from behind and presents a v-sign and a smile. This isn't the only photograph you have with your friend, but it's one of the few that had much significance. You the photograph with your thumb and grip it tightly. You haven't spoken to JongIn since his confession to you. However, you haven't stopped thinking about him since. Is the feeling mutual? 

You sigh and roll out of your bed to wash up. You walk into your shower and finish cleaning yourself up in about ten minutes. You decide since this would be the last time JongIn would see you, you decide to look your best. You throw on a white tank top, layered with a baby blue knit cardigan. You add a cream colored skirt and even put a bow in your hair. It's funny how JongIn had given you this bow for your birthday two years ago, and yet you still have it. Brushing the thought away, you grab your purse and cell phone and walk out the door. You stop in your tracks and look back at the polaroid of you and JongIn. You pick up the photograph before walking out the door completely.

When you approach JongIn's house, you can see multiple workers moving boxes amoungst boxes into a moving truck. You're heart sinks a little, but you swallow your pride and continue to walk up to his house. JongIn doesn't notice you at first, but when he does, his eyes widen and his jaw almost drops.

"Vi-Vivien. Hi," JongIn politely bows.

You don't greet him back. Instead, you wrap your arms around his neck, pulling him close. You bury your face into the side of his neck and tears of saddness drop down your face. You didn't mean for this to happen. You can hear JongIn quietly giggling at you. You pull away and you pretend to look mad.

"Hey, cheer up, V." He was the only one who called you that. "This may be my one way ticket to a new life, but I'll still visit you on your birthday, during holidays, and when I have free time. I'll always try to make time for you." He smiles.

You reach into your purse and pull out the polaroid. You hand it to JongIn and he's almost speechless. "I know you have to do this. It's your dream, Oppa. I'm not going to stop you anymore. Take this. Please don't forget me." 

"V, you're the last person I would ever want to forget. Don't say such things." He takes the polaroid and it was now his turn to let out the tears. He pulls you in for another embrace and only this time, he was the one to cry on your shoulder. You've never seen JongIn like this before. You can't imagine all the feelings that have been building inside of him over the past few weeks. He pulls away and stares at the polaroid one last time. "I'm such a photobomber" he laughs. You smile and place a hand on his cheek. Then you hear a car horn go off and it's JongIn's new manager waving at him from across the street. Your heart stops for a minute as you can't believe the moment has come. JongIn is leaving you. And you don't know when he'll be back. 

"Hey, don't cry anymore, okay? I'm doing this for us. I'll make you proud and I won't ever forget you. You'll always be in my thoughts." He closes his eyes and kisses your forehead. He emphasizes on "us" and this somehow makes you a little better. 

"D-don't worry about me, Oppa. I'll always be here to support you. Go out there and live your dream." He nods and hugs you one last time. You don't ever want to let go of JongIn again but you know you have to. You find it difficult when you touch JongIn's hand for the last time before he leaves. You place both of your hands around your mouth and you're crying uncontrolably now. All this time you thought you would be the one to leave. You weren't prepared enough to see JongIn go like this. 

"Goodbye, Vivien!" JongIn yells from the car. You look up and run to the window his leaning at. You only had one chance left. You grab his face in your hands and push yourself so that your lips touch his. His hand moves to your face, your eyes still closed. "I love you, Vivien, I love you so much." You wanted to tell him how you felt. You wanted to tell him how you felt the same way towards him. But you stutter as you feel the car begin to make its way down the road, carrying JongIn away from you. 

You run as fast as you can to keep up with the car. You wanted to tell him that you love him too, but at this point the car was too far. You stop running and you try to catch your breath. That's it. He's gone. You wipe your tears away as you continue to watch the car, carrying JongIn, drive away; leading him to his new and desired life.