The Moment of Truth

A Stolen Glance

It was not the first time all 12 of them standing on a glamorous overcrowded stage, facing the colorful audience cheering their heart out for their idols. They have stood on different stages countless times; rehearsals, recordings and live shows. But somehow, standing there with the members on his left and their sunbae on the right; it was nerve wrecking.

 

The cruel fact was they were standing in front of the crowd as two professional groups, fighting for the title. It doesn’t make any sense but he’s not in the position to talk about business strategy; though anyone with half of the brain can see how ridiculous it was to put two of your own groups head to head. Where’s the logic in it.

 

He glanced to the side, staring at the MCs hoping they will just spill it out. The heats of the spotlights were unbearable even with his jacket already half done. The sweats were streaking down hurting his eyes. He reached out to wipe it off when his line of sight caught the picture perfect noona; composed and poise standing next to him, dressed in plain white white and blue like a school prefect. He would gladly accept detention ticket from her though.

 

When SME first explained the concept to them, he thought the idea was too generic. Then when the members were dressed in all sorts of uniforms for their teasers, MV and photo-shoots, he thought the management had taken the school uniform theme too seriously. But he changed his mind immediately the first time he saw the girls in their costume during f(x) Pink Tape teasers. He truly believes that the girls were born to do the concept and he was destined to join them.

 

He still remembers how the boys reacted, cheering, teasing and pestering him when they found out what he was up to when he went missing for an unknown schedule. But there was nothing to tell besides the obvious fact that the girls were amazingly fun to hang out with. Amber was hilarious and Luna was such a sweet girl. Few of s were genuinely jealous when he told them he was paired with Krystal and Sulli but he simply shrugged it off, not sharing the same sentiment. Sure, Kyrstal’s new reddish-pink hair was eye-catching making her stand out immediately and Sulli’s porcelain white skin made her looks like a china-doll, but he has different standards and preferences.

 

It was baffling to him when he found out that there were actually a huge numbers of KaiStal shippers out there rooting for his non-existence love story. The irony was, he does find Krystal interesting; he’s just not interested. His heart beats only for the noona who would not even grant him her attention. Just like that very moment, she’s standing so near yet it felt so far when she looked straight ahead anticipating the results announcement. 

 

“And the winner is EXO!” The over the top announcement brought him back to reality.

 

The crowd’s cheers were deafening as sparkly confetti pouring onto the stage, looking very much like gold flakes. Suho was the first to step in front for the well-rehearsed speech. The boys jumped in happiness, hugging each other to content the happiness and the adrenaline rush streaming in their veins at that very moment. In the chaotic moment, he stole another glance over his shoulder, hiding his smile when he saw the f(x) leader smiling and clapping her hands at the announcement. Bubbles of happiness blast inside him. He then took his spot when the mic ended up in his hand, sprouting spontaneous speech before handing the spotlight to Kris.

 

The rest of the idols crowding the stage earlier slowly made their way off the moment Growl was aired for their encore stage, except for the five girls; celebrating their encore together as an SM Family. The boys went crazy on the stage, dragging Amber into the picture. Luna was laughing hysterically, jumping excitedly with Sulli, while his favourite noona looking from afar with a big grin, hands locked with Krystal’s as if protecting her from the crazies. The image was indeed endearing to his eyes.  

 

They got off the stage once Growl ended. But the excitement did not simmer down. They continued their celebration with series of selca, along the corridor, posing with their precious piece to be added onto their display cabinet. He took a step back from the rest letting his hyung enjoying the scene. Only then he realized that Amber was the only one left behind. It was not really a surprise since she’s just like one of them. But he wished he could get another glimpse of her before they wrap up the day.

 

“Amber, where’s the girls?” He asked in between the commotions.

 

It was amazing that Amber could still answered him perfectly under such noise “I have no idea” she quipped before reaching out and grabbed his hand “Jonginnie come join the fun.”

 

He refused at first but when everyone else joined in, expending the group in mere seconds, he jumped in next to Kyung-soo, grabbing Sehun’s shoulder to balance himself. The supposed one photo became 20 with all sorts of pose. Amber was the acting photographer, yelling, pointing and grabbing them for a specific line-up. Sasaeng fans will go crazy for the pictures which were definitely fanservice worthy.

 

After almost half an hour frolicking in the corridor, they finally receded to their changing room. He was right behind Chanyeol who was the first to reach the door but he was having trouble opening it. 



“What’s wrong?” Luhan asked curiously.



“It won’t budge. Is it locked?” Chanyeol pouted slightly.



“Let me try” he pushed the other guy aside and tried to open it with all his might “Hey, it is lock.”


 

But before he could react further to it, the door was suddenly pulled back almost violently and followed by a series of high pitch voices and popped sound “SURPRISE!”


The room was filled with SME crews; group managers, costume coordinators, their dedicated stylists and at a corner, three girls in their casual attire stood still with bright smiles plastered on their glossy lips “Congratulations” they wished in such unison it was warm and fuzzy.

 

Amber, who initially was at the back of the pack, busy fooling around with Sehun and Kris, suddenly pushed through and stepped in without hesitation. She joined the other three girls, smiling gleefully as she bowed together with her group members. It turned out that fooling around as the Exo photographer was part of the plan to ensure enough time for the other to make the preparation in the changing room.

 

But something was incomplete. His favourite noona was not around. He did not say a word but his eyes were busy scanning the room for the glimpse of her. But before he could subtly ask someone, Luna who was chatting animatedly with Chen and Xiumin mentioned her name “Victoria unnie was suddenly called by her Glitter PD to discuss over her schedule or something. She might be late.”

 

He was glad that the other members were too busy flocking over the festive line-up of foods to notice the disappointment on his face. He dragged his feet to the long coffee table and stare at the colorful dishes. He did not move from his spot until a strong hand nudged him and shoved a paper plate into his hand “What are you doing? Are you going to stare at the food until you are full?” Lay raised his brows.

 

“I thought you like samgyupsal?” Amber slipped in next to him with a pair of chopstick, picking up a piece of one of his favorite food.

 

“I do” his reply was short as he carefully filled in his plate.

 

“It’s Vic-unnie favourite food, so she prepared quite a lot of it” Amber explained in a chuckle.

 

His head turned towards her at the mere mentioned of the elder’s name. He suspected his body had been trained to react to it “Was the samgyupsal prepared by her?”

 

Amber shook her head “Not only samgyupsal. She prepared all the dishes. I help with the black pepper sauce.”

 

“But…But how could you guys know who will be the winner?” he asked, staring straight at the Blondie, his eyes were wide opened in surprise.

 

“We did not. If we win, we’ll still invite you guys to celebrate with us” Amber winked and tapped his shoulder before she retreated to her seat, next to Kris. It was getting a bit suspicious now why the two seemed to be glued to each other recently. But knowing how friendly Amber is, he’s keeping his suspicion to himself.

 

A soft sighed escaped his dry throat before he started to dig in. As soon as the first piece of meat pass through his luscious lips, his taste buds exploded, he felt so overwhelm; a taste so similar a mother’s home cook. He took another mouthful bite when a hand landed on his arm “Hey why are you eating all by yourself?” the hand pulled him away from the table onto the two empty seats.

 

He let out a soft chuckle glancing over the food on Kyung-soo’s plate which was mountain high. They ate in silence for the first few minutes before the older guy spoke in a hushed tone “Do you think Suho is interested in Krystal?” It was almost inaudible considering the room’s decibel range.

 

He followed Kyung-soo line of sight and saw the two persons in question. Suho was talking animatedly while Krystal gave her signature quiet smile as she listened to him. “Maybe. He seemed jealous when I told him I was paired up with Krystal in the teasers”. He then returned his attention to his food.

 

“Hmm. But I think Chanlli is real though” Kyung-soo replied objectively.

 

“I’m sorry, Chanlli?” it sounded so foreign to his ears.

 

Kyung-soo pointed at the other corner of the room. Chanyeol, Sulli and Baekhyun were engrossed in their conversation. If there were such a thing of fangirl/fanboy goggles, they can actually see the pink aura surrounding Chanyeol and Sulli while Baekhyun carried out wallflower character. 

 

“You sound like a fanboy” he shook his head then added “I think you better finish off the food on your pate first before shipping anymore pairs.”

 

Kyung-soo pouted at the lack of response he’s getting but quickly smile when he stated eating again “Her foods are delicious.”

 

“Yes they are” he answered nonchalantly, refusing to become another pair in discussion with his roommate.

 

No luck.

 

“So, you are going to tell her tonight right?” he asked. Kyung-soo brown eyes were rounded up excitedly. He’s indeed a f(exo) fanboy. Lucky for him, Kyung-soo does keep secrets well.

 

Another 100 years’ worth of sigh escaped his throat as he quietly answered “She’s not even here” a short answer for Kyung-soo.

 

“Stop making excuses” the older guy spat without any sense of hesitation. Judging him.

 

He did what he normally does; huffed and smirked “I’m not. She’s literally not here.”  

 

“I’m sure her meeting will end soon and she’ll be joining us shortly” the other refused to let go, playing with his food. “Will you confess to her then?”

 

“We’ll see” a quiet reply followed before he stood up to get a cup of water, hoping Kyung-soo will change the subject once he returned to his seat. While sipping the cold drink down his throat, he reached out for his phone and checked the time.

 

Half an hour later, the room was even more crowded that earlier. Other idols had self-invited themselves and hang out with the members. Massive cross interaction and flirting were going around while he sat at his corner rehearsing his lil speech he had prepared ages ago.


“I’m going to the toilet” he announced to no one before slipping out form the party.

He did go to the gents, to check whether his hair was in order and of course to calm himself ‘you’re a man’.

 

He took 10 minutes to convince himself that he is indeed THE man he wants to be. Retreating his tracks towards the room he then saw a familiar figure clad in white tee and vintage jeans pacing in front of the door, looking kinda confused; while his heart making Olympic standard back flips.

 

 

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

I enjoyed doing this plot and currently working on the 2nd chapter.

Do share your thoughts and love ya....XOXO