60 Seconds

Description

Do Kyungsoo is anything but a murderer. Right? Or is that just merely a lie his teacher desperately wants to believe?

 

 

There are many things you can do in sixty seconds.

In sixty seconds, you can pour yourself a cup of milk.

In sixty seconds, you can get out of bed and get dressed into that new pair of jeans you've been dying to wear.

in sixty seconds, you can finish munching on your biscuit; you can finish reading a short paragraph at the front page of the daily newspaper; you can rush into school moments before the school bell rings and the school gates close shut.

 

In sixty seconds, you can lose your faith.

In sixty seconds, your  entire world , can crumble into nothing but ashes and rubble.

In sixty seconds, you can commit a murder.

 

 

 

***

Warning: StudentxTeacher relationships. Character death.

Genre: Angst. Slight romance.

Foreword

Do Kyungsoo is 18. He's just like any other ordinary teenage male out there. Video games, girls, homework, school, occasional fall-outs with his parents. But, ordinary teenagers don't get accused of murder, do they?

 

Enter Kim Jong In. He's 27 and he's the homeroom teacher for Class 7, Kyungsoo's class.

It's another ordinary Tuesday and everything's going as per normal, dry and mundane, but suddenly, the door swings open and before Jongin can even say, "how can I help you?" one of his students, his A-Star, model student, is forced to his feet by the 2 uniformed men. Jongin hears the clinking of cuffs around his student's wrists, and he feels his mind going fuzzy when one of the burly policemen flashes his police id, hoarse voice cutting through the thick musky silence that hung in the classroom's air, "Do Kyung Soo, you are under arrest for murder."

 

Jongin runs to stop the two men, he really tries. His student can't have committed a murder. He's Do Kyung Soo, for Pete's sake. Kyungsoo wouldn't even hurt a fly, for crying out loud. Kyungsoo's the school's top model student clinching multiple academic awards every year. He's the class chair, with a warm smile and a kind heart that no-one, students and teachers alike, could resist. He's the upcoming school valedictorian; Kyungsoo was anything but a murderer.  

"You can't take him away like that!" Jongin pants, finally catching up with the two policemen after sprinting out of class. He can still hear the shocked gasps and loud babbles of voices drifitng out from his chaotic classroom. He's bewildered, confused, sweaty and angry. 

"Sorry, Mister, but I'm afraid we can." One officer gestures for the other to continue on his way. The other officer whose name badge reads Tao nods stiffly at Jongin before tugging at the shoulder of Kyungsoo, pulling him away. Jongin looks at his student pleadingly, say something, tell Teacher that you've been wrongly accused. But Kyungsoo bites down hard on his lower lip and follows behind the taller officer quietly, eyes never leaving the tiled floor.

"What proof do you have?!"

"I'm afraid that that's confidential, but if it will reassure you, we do have enough evidence as of now to warrant an arrest,"

"No, listen to me, he's my student, and I know my student. He'll never do such a thing, heck, he wouldn't even lay a finger on an ant,"

One police officer whose name tag reads Kris Wu smiles, but it's sympathetic, sorrowful even, "I'm afraid that it's always the good ones that are actually the worst of the lot."

That's it. Jongin almost explodes there and then because this is Do Kyungsoo they are discussing, and Kyungsoo is the kindest, smartest, sweetest and all in all, the most angelic student he had ever taught in his 6 years of teaching. He wouldn't commit something as heinous like murder, for crying out loud!

"I know my student," Jongin almost growls, prominent veins in his hand throbbing, "he would never do such a thing."

"More often than not, we don't really know as much of a person as we thought we originally did," Kris offers. 

 

Jongin legs almost give way and he leans his sweaty back against the wall. 

 

No, Jongin decides, this is Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo would never do such a thing. Jongin would know, Jongin is Kyungsoo's homeroom teacher. Jongin would know better than anyone else that his student would never do such a thing.

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Murder is scary.

Having your student, your model student at that, being accused of murder is scary.

But what's even more scary is when you find your faith, your resolve ebbing away,

What's scariest is when you find yourself questioning if you had ever really understood your student like how you had once thought you did.