Money on Trees

An Assassin's Eyes

"What the hell?" I spat at him, rage overflowing anything else I might have felt at bring crowned king and married to this idiot. Jonghyun looked taken aback, like he truly believed he had just done me a favor. 

"Do you know what you just did, brat?" I asked him, vibrating in fury, but I didn't let him answer, because I had a better answer than he would ever have. "I have a brother. A brother, who, frankly, can't take care of himself. He needs me. My parents are gone. Any relatives, aunts or uncles or cousins, there is none. I'm all he's got, and I was doing fine. Sure, what I do to pay the bills may not be exact legal, but he needs me. I need this work. I need to be able to do what I do, for my life and his life, becuase as sure as hell my employer knows about my little brother, and I'm as sure as hell he wouldn't think a second longer about wiping him out to get back at me because I've suddenly turned royal!" I was in his face now, spitting, not caring what he thought, what his reasons were for this. I know they were for himself, and I know they weren't for me. 

"So now my life is at stake, my brother, the only family I have, is at stake, and everything I care about is about to be destoyed, all thanks to you. You, a palace-raised, selfish idiot who only thinks for himself and what he can do to get himself higher on whatever delusional war we have going on in your head.  You don't know how the real world works, do you Prince? It's all about balance. Balance of money, balance of food, balance of work and attitude and being careful. It's about the balance of life, and death. And if you upset that balance, something happens. You lose the house. You starve. You lose your job, and turn homeless because jobs don't ing grow on trees. Money doesn't grow on trees. 

"And I had a balance. My work was enough to put food on the table and money in the landlord's pocket, but not much more. It was enough to live, and to have enough on the side for maybe an orange every few months, if we're careful. But no. You don't live the way that most do. You have everything handed to you on a silver plate. You don't have to work. You don't have to worry about taxes and bills, because you're the one collecting them. You're the one using them on chocolate, and velvet, and ing silver tassels. You don't know what it means to struggle. To worry. To feel like everything you love, everything you care about could be ripped out of your hands in a day. 

"You took that all away. You took it away, for whatever you think is what rules the world. To make me helpless. To make me tame, so that you feel you have control over your piece of the world. You want to get back at me, fine. Whatever. But this is not the way. This is not the way."

Jonghyun's jaw is locked tight now, rage flaring in his eyes, and he begins to speak, but I cut him off. "I-"

"No," I snarl. "Let me finish." 

"And the worst part is that I don't hate you. I don't. I feel bad for you. I feel bad. Because I know that I sure as hell won't be staying here, a king, and I know that you will be a horrible king if these are the kinds of decisions you make. I know this kingdom will be at the most vulnerable, and I know the people will suffer. I know this because I know the world. I know the real world. And I know you're gonna have to grow up, real quick, or you're gonna have to face a uprising that you're not gonna know how to deal with because you don't know how to deal with anything.

"And that's not all. I pity you for who you are. This selfish person, this person that only thinks about himself, who only thinks about himself and how the world revolves around you. Well, let me give to us piece of advice. It doesn't. It doesn't, and it never will. The world won't bow down to you on it's knees because you can order deaths, or threaten people, or guess lucky names, or look down on people twice your height. So, Kim Jonghyun, I wish you the best in your pathetic life. Becuase I know that you're not gonna go up in this game inside your little mind; you're gonna go down. Down, down, down, until you hit the bottom."

And I leaned in, not knowing the words until they left my mouth, not caring. He hurt me, he made an idiotic move, and he needs to know what he's done. Ad now he's just standing here, and I realize I need to get home, so I turn and walk across the room, towards the hidden door. Disgust. I feel disgust for this person in front of me, and I do not hate him, but I do not want to be near him. 

As I lifted the hatch to the door, and it swung open without a creak, I looked back at him.

"And I'll see you there," I said, and the door swung shut behind me, and I was gone.