The Forbidden One

DePiction

Word Count: 3299

 

In a small village named Forbid Lane, there’s a boy who is a little different from others yet he’s being isolated from the other children and criticized for being different. He’s known as the Forbidden One.

 

The chief of the village is known for his intelligence and good leadership qualities. And because of his little paranoia, the whole village believed him and followed to hate and fear of the innocent boy. No one cared to know of his real name after being called the Forbidden One by the village chief. The boy’s parents tried to protect their one and only son from any insults and harm from the village people for as long as they live. Unfortunately, just when he reached the age of 20, their life spans were cut short, leaving their son alone.

 

Absolutely no one went to visit his humble house to see how he was doing. No one cared to know how they can help after the sudden death of his parents. Instead, some heartless villagers even thought of chasing him out of the village since his parents are no longer there to protect him.

 

Yong Junhyung was born with the spirit of a wolf. No he’s not a werewolf neither does he change at full moon. He’s a normal boy with normal hands and legs. His senses, abilities and feelings are similar to a wolf’s. And the only different thing about his appearance is his eyes. His eyes are yellow. Specifically, his eyes are like wolves.

 

His parents did have some money left for him in case he needed it for emergencies. Like now. But those savings aren’t going to last. He has to start looking for work. At least to prevent him from dying from starvation.

 

One day, Junhyung went out. Out to the village. His hair was down and his fringe covered most of his eyes. Not everyone knows how he looked like. They could only recognise him by his eyes. Just like Harry Potter known by his scar. But this is no wizard-hero story so let’s just scratch that comparison.

 

Junhyung walked with his head low, trying hard not to attract any attention. He passed a small hut where the village chief would usually have a talk with the other superior people in the village.

 

“I bet he ate his parents after they died. He’s a wolf for goodness sake!” the chief said. The others nodded dumbly, just agreeing to what the man said. Junhyung clenched his fist and continued walking normally. The conversation went on about how they should throw him out of the village or maybe even kill him for the ‘safety’ of the villagers. He hated this one ability. His high sense of hearing. No matter how far he went, he would still hear them. His mother would always close his ears whenever they hear any insults. It would never work as he could still hear them but he would pretend that it did.

 

Junhyung looked for any work around such as being a woodsman or carrying heavy logs or anything. Any work that he could earn money from. But from place to place, he was turned down. Its either for the reason that he didn’t look up at all or that they found out he was the Forbidden One and would just reject him straightaway.

 

Finally, when the sun is almost setting, he went to small eatery at some corner of the village. He asked politely if there was any work he could do. The lady tried to look at him when he was looking down but was kind enough not to force him to look up.

 

“Can you wash dishes?” she asked.

 

Junhyung nodded quickly, hoping he will get this job. After much thinking, the lady nodded. “Okay. You can help by washing the dishes behind.”

 

Junhyung smiled small and bowed to the lady continuously, thanking her. The lady said she couldn’t pay him much because she too is in need of money. Junhyung said he was okay with it and thanked her again for accepting him. Since it was nearly sundown, the lady told him to start early next morning.

 

 

The next morning he started his work. Everything went well but Junhyung knows sooner or later, the lady might find out that who he is. The lady is very kind and sometimes even let Junhyung bring some food home. It was about after 2 weeks or so that he realised the lady had a daughter.

 

Junhyung was just washing the dishes at the back of the eatery which is also at the back of the lady’s house since the eatery and her house is side by side. He sensed someone watching him. Initially he didn’t want to look up, knowing where exactly the figure that was staring at him was. But it became quite uneasy for him while he’s working, he looked up slightly, peeking through his fringe. There, standing by the window, stood a girl with long curly hair, looking at him.

 

She didn’t noticed that Junhyung had seen her but turned when suddenly her mother called.

 

 

“Hello,” Junhyung heard someone greet him from behind. He stopped his work and looke dover his shoulder carefully. It was someone wearing a cream coloured dress. It must be the girl, he thought.

 

He turned back to his work after returning her little greeting. She walked around and went to sit infront of the big pail of water where he was washing the dishes.

 

“Miss, I don’t think you should sit here. The water might splashed onto you,” Junhyung said politely without looking up.

 

She chuckled softly. “It’s okay.” Junhyung couldn’t force her to go in so he just continued working.

 

She too didn’t disturb him. She just sat there and looked at him. It was until her mother called her in that she went inside and never go out again. The next day, the same thing happened. And again for the following days. They didn’t talk but the presence of someone being there for a long time, instead of running away, while he work made Junhyung happy.

 

One day, while he was working and she was looking at him work, he heard a cough. A soft one but very audible to his ears. “Are you sick?” he asked.

 

She smiled although he couldn’t see. “Maybe,” she said. Junhyung frowned at her reply but just let it slide.

 

“I never got to know your name. My name is Hyerin,” she said.

 

“Junhyung,” he answered simply.

 

She nodded. “Junhyung ssi, can I ask you a question?” she said.

 

“What is it?” he said.

 

“Why are you always looking down? I saw you from the first time you work here but you never once looked up.”

 

“You might not be sitting here if I had looked up,” he said.

 

“Oh? Try me,” she challenged him.

 

“Okay, but you have to promise me something.”

 

“Sure. What is that?”

 

“You can’t tell your mother,” he said, stopping his work.

 

“Tell her what?” she asked confused.

 

“You would know later. Promise me that,” he said. He was quite surprised how easily both of them talked despite them not knowing each other.

 

“Okay you have my word. I promise,” she said. Junhyung was still having doubts since he didn’t know her that well but if she broke her promise and he loses his job, then it means he’s not fated to work there anymore.

 

Junhyung looked up slowly, at the same time capturing the girl’s face. She looked beautiful but slightly pale and weak. Hyerin saw his eyes and was slightly shocked since she didn’t expect it. But then she smiled.

 

“Your eyes are unique..” she said in awe. Junhyung looked down and smiled slightly. That was the first compliment he had heard about his eyes.

 

“Thank you,” he said shyly. Hyerin just smiled and tried to peek again at his eyes but he looked down to continue his work.

 

Since then the two started talking more freely and getting close with one another. It was the first time for Junhyung to talk to someone other than his own parents.

 

“Junhyung, can you do me a favour?” Hyerin asked one day.

 

“Hm?” he looked up, raising his eyebrow.

 

“Can you.. bring me around the village one day? When you’re not working,” she said.

 

“Why?”

 

“I just feel like walking around the village… But my mother won’t allow me to go alone,” she said, moving her gaze to the dishes in the pail instead.

 

“I could..if she allows it,” Junhyung replied.

 

“I’ll go ask her then,” Hyerin said with a smile on her face. Junhyung nodded and Hyerin went off to the front part of the eatery.

 

Her mother agreed after a few constant pleads from Hyerin. The coming weekend Junhyung was given a day off and he went to the Hyerin’s house to pick her up. The lady reminded Junhyung again and again that Hyerin has to be home before sundown.

 

Junhyung himself hadn’t been around the village actually. His parents were quite protective of him because of the views villagers had of him since he was born. But Junhyung is highly intelligent; as one of his wolf abilities. So he can quite know very well where to go around the village. His sense of smell is also better than normal human beings which made it easier for them to find a good eatery and stop by. He tried to make no eye contact with any of the villagers and only look at Hyerin whenever he looks up. But there are some times that a lady or a man that would notice his eyes and looked at him judgingly.

 

Hyerin found herself slowly falling for the man just by how protective he was of her. He wasn’t holding her hand at first but after the incident where a villager carrying a big log was about to hit her and Junhyung had pulled her to his side quickly, his hand never left hers.

 

They were just minding their own business, walking around, enjoying each others’ company. Little did they know someone was observing them from far. Someone that had wanted to be in Junhyung’s position for a long time. Someone that knows the one walking around with Hyerin all these while is the Forbidden One. Jehan.

 

Their little outing turned to a weekly thing and Hyerin’s mother didn’t mind because Hyerin seems happy with Junhyung and Junhyung seems like a harmless young man despite the rumours she had been hearing. Despite her knowing from the start that he’s the boy the villagers call forbidden.

 

But one night is all it takes to make everything go wrong.

 

Junhyung had sent Hyerin home before sundown and went home. He just finished his dinner when there was an angry series of knocks at his door. frowning slightly, he went to open the door.

 

There stood the village chief along with two other guys slightly older than him. Upon seeing him, the chief took a step back quickly as if scared that Junhyung might attack him.

 

“May I help you?” Junhyung asked politely.

 

The chief cleared his throat and spoke. “I, I mean we, want you to get out of the village. You are to leave the village today.”

 

Junhyung blinked a few times. “B-but.. What did I do? I didn’t do anything wrong.”

 

“You are making the villagers live in fear! You being born is the most wrong thing you could do! For the safety of our village, I want you to get out,” one of the guys said.

 

Junhyung was speechless. He didn’t even hurt anyone. Where can he go? Why should he even leave when he did nothing wrong?

 

“If you don’t want to leave, we’ll have to imprison you. Or if you retaliate, we might even kill you like how we kill those wild animals. Get out of the village while we’re being nice,” the chief said.

 

“We’ll giving you until midnight to leave. Which is just in matter of hours. Get out and don’t ever come back.” With that the three of them turned and left.

 

Junhyung sat on his bed, still in daze by what he was demanded to do.

 

“Omma.. Appa.. Nearly everyone hates me here. They don’t want me here and I can’t keep ignoring that fact. I’m really sorry but I just have to listen to them this one time. I have to leave this village. Leave our home. The home that the both of you painstakingly raised me up in. I’m really sorry for being a disappointment for leaving and listening to what the chief said. I just… I just don’t know what to do anymore,” Junhyung said, looking around the house. A tear fell onto his cheeks as he closed his eyes, taking a deep breath.

 

He packed his things and sat down for awhile. He has to see Hyerin one last time.

 

He wore a hood over his head and walked to the far end corner of the village quietly. Junhyung knocked on the door and the lady opened it. He took off his hood but not looking up and the lady recognised him immediately.

 

“Oh Junhyung-ah. What are you doing here?” she asked.

 

“Sorry Mrs Park. But erm.. is Hyerin asleep yet?” Junhyung said.

 

“Hyerin? Oh she’s not asleep yet. Why?”

 

“Can I see her for awhile? Just a for awhile I promise. I know its late but I really need to see her,” he said almost pleading. She hesitated for awhile but eventually agreed but reminded Junhyung not to be long since its late.

 

“Hyerin dear? There’s someone here to see you,” Mrs Park said, opening her daughter’s room door. she stepped aside and invited Junhyung to go in.

 

“Oh Junhyung-ah.. What are you doing here?” Hyerin asked with a bright smile on her face. Mrs Park closed the door to leave the both of them.

 

Junhyung looked up and Hyerin and gave a her a small smile. He saw her sitting up weakly on the bed and sat next to her. He already know that Hyerin was sick but it could be cured. Which is why Mrs Park needed the money.

 

“Couldn’t wait to see me tomorrow?” Hyerin teased. Junhyung wanted to chuckle but it didn’t come out like he wanted. He could only smile.

 

“Hyerin-ah..” Junhyung said, taking her hand in his. Hyerin just waited for him to continue.

 

“I… I like you. I really really like you,” Junhyung confessed, looking down at their hands. He bit his lower lip, waiting for Hyerin to reply. She smiled but he couldn’t see.

 

“I know its sudden and all. But I-“

 

“I like you too. I really like you too Junhyung-ah,” Hyerin said. Junhyung looked up and her and now he saw her smile. The confession was pure and simple. It was the first time Junhyung had felt love for someone other than his parents.

 

“But.. Hyerin-ah.. I’m.. going somewhere,” he said slowly.

 

“Oh? Where?”

 

“Out of this village,” he said.

 

“Why… You don’t like it here?” Hyerin said sadly.

 

“No.. Its not that. Its just.. I want to see other places. You know I like to explore right? I want to see how its like in other villages,” he said quickly.

 

“Oh… But you’ll come back right?”

 

Junhyung nodded hesitantly. “I’ll bring you around other villages too. So you have to be healthy okay. Rest well and take care of yourself. I’ll be back and bring you around.”

 

Hyerin’s smile was back on her face and she nodded. Junhyung looked at her for some time and leaned forward. He was about to leave a simple kiss on her cheek when suddenly her door flew open with a bang.

 

Both of them were startled and turned to the door quickly.

 

“Chief! I told you he was here! And he was just about to hurt Hyerin! I told you he’s dangerous!” Jehan, who was at the door with other bunch of men, said. The village chief was also there and his eyes showed fear and anger at the same time.

 

Before Junhyung could do anything, he was dragged by many men out of the room.

 

“I wasn’t! It wasn’t like that! I really wasn’t going to hurt her! Please! Please listen to me!” But Junhyung’s cries were only heard by Hyerin and her mother. Everyone else was busy trying to drag Junhyung out.

 

The clueless Hyerin was so shocked seeing Junhyung being dragged out as such and she used her whole strength to stand up to try to defend Junhyung. She know herself that Junhyung wasn’t going to hurt her. Her mother tried to stop the men but to no use. Seeing her daughter trying hard to get up, she helped her and they quickly went outside to see where the men were taking him.

 

Much to their surprise, the men were tying Junhyung to the place where they use to carry out death sentences. Junhyung pleading, begging to be let go and he would leave immediately but all of them paid no attention. When they were done tying him, Junhyung could be seen shaking in fear.

 

Every villagers’ eyes were on him. Some are happy they are finally getting ‘peace’ back. Some changed their view on Junhyung when they saw how scared and how he was crying to be let go but no one could help him. They finally saw him as a normal child that had lost both his parents but its too late.

 

Mrs Park tried to help by telling the chief to just let him go. The chief had considered Junhyung’s pleads for a second, thinking he might be wrong seeing that Junhyung pleaded and cried just like a normal human being would. But that consideration only last awhile until Jehan said that its just an act so that he could earn symphathy.

 

Hyerin by the side was pleading to her mother to let her go to Junhyung for one last time. She know the decisions made by the chief could never be changed by a normal villager. Her mother pleaded the chief once again and this time he allows it because it doesn’t hinders his decision to kill Junhyung.

 

Hyerin went to Junhyung who was still shaking and cheeks stained with tears that he can no longer shed. He knows its pointless to beg anymore and he can’t even cry. All he could feel was fear.

 

“J-junhyung ah…” she said softly, cupping his cheeks in her hands to make him look at her.

 

“Saranghae,” she said with a shaky voice.

 

A single tear flow down his cheeks. That was all he could give. He just looked at her, not knowing what else to say.

 

“I don’t want to die..” he said really softly, only to her. Hyerin pursed her lips and shut her eyes, letting her tears fall.

 

“Don’t worry. I’m going to die too,” she tried to smile. She heard the men and behind her telling her to go back. She did what Junhyung wanted to do before the men had burst into her room and closed his eyelids for him by sliding down her hand over his eyes gently.

 

“Close your eyes. It’ll be over soon,” she whispered. Junhyung’s lips still quivered from fear but tried to relax after feeling her touch over his eyelids. Hyerin didn’t have the strength to leave him and her mother pulled her away gently before the men could drag her like how they did with Junhyung.

 

Junhyung kept his eyes closed and tried to breathe slowly as those are his last breaths. He tried to shut off the talks and noises around him and just focused on the faces of his loved ones in mind.

 

Breathe in… Breathe Out… Breath in…. .....

 


I think this is like the longest onehot I've EVER wriiten. Sorry for some grammatical or spelling errors. I'm seriously too tired to check now. I'm sorry if it doesn't make sense coz it sounded better in my head :/ I'll try to improve in the other 7 stories!

And for the previous oneshot, if some of you don't really understand what actually happened to Yoseob, one of the comments below explains everything perfectly. So I'm going to borrow hehehe the comment and paste it here for all of you to see :)

 

[SilentOne43  on Aug 19, 2013 00:28:40 says about chapter 1
I think his son died when he got sick and because he love him so much that he lost his mind and thinking that the doll is his child...]