CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Marriage Trap (HIATUS)

“Code blue!” the nurses rushed forward as they took her vitals.

“Her eyes aren’t responding.”

“Blood pressure’s rapidly dropping.”

“We’re losing her pulse.”

“Start CPR, Now!”

“She’s not breathing.”

“Start compression.”

 “I’ve got good radial pulse.”

“We’ve got airway established.”

“Blood pressure’s still too low.”

“Get a CT scan, stat, and call Neuro.”

“Yes doctor,” a nurse replied as she rushed out.

The staff quickly prepared Yoona for transport, and then rushed her out the door.

 

***

“Why the hell can’t I get any answers!” Siwon roared at the receptionist.”

“Im sorry sir. If you’ll please just have a seat, the doctor should be out shortly” the woman have nerves of steel. He wanted to jump across the desk and strangle her.

“Come on, Siwon. You won’t get anything terrorizing the staff,” Taeyeon said and tugged him away from the desk.

“Why can’t anyone give us information? It’s been hours. Yoona’s still in surgery and her Dad’s currently fighting for his life. You’d think they’d tell us something at this point” Yoona’s dad has been shocked of the news about her accident and couldn’t take it that he suffered from heart attack. For now his life is also in danger. Mr. Im has only short to live. The time he made the deal with Siwon, he knew he has only short time to live. His heart was already in worst condition.

“I know but you have to remain calm. Mr. Im’s in danger too. We have to have faith in the doctor’s here.

Siwon grumbled as he started pacing the room. He needed something, anything to get his mind off what was going on. He didn’t know what he’d do if something happened to either her wife or Mr. Im.

“Choi Siwon?”

“Yes, I am here.” Siwon rose from his seat an obvious tremble is evident. A doctor approached. Fear and anger struggled for a stronghold inside him. the news had to be good.

“I’m Dr. Lee. I operated on your wife.” Total silence greeted his words. “First I want you to know that Yoona is alive as well as the baby she’s carrying,” he said. A tear slipped down Siwon’s cheek. The girls released a collective sigh of relief.

“She’s in critical condition and we’re monitoring her in the ICU. I don’t want you to give false hope. It doesn’t look good right now. And the good news is that the baby’s not affected from the accident.”

“Can I please see my wife?” Siwon asked

“Yes, but only for a short visit. No more than two people can be in his room.”

“Thank you,” Siwon said before following a nurse through the double doors leading to the intensive care unit.

 

***

It’s almost a year and yet Yoona was still unconscious. Though she’s unconscious, she gave birth to a healthy baby girl through cesarean section. Yoona’s father did not make it. After two weeks from the attack, he passed away. Siwon arranged everything for the funeral since Yoona’s the only family left for Mr. Im. No wonder he insisted Siwon to marry her precious daughter.

While waiting for Yoona to gain consciousness, Siwon became very busy managing the two companies. He hired a private nurse to take good care of their baby. Siwon was left devastated to his situation but he needed to move on for his daughter. He’s hoping for Yoona to wake up.

“Yoona, please wake up. Are you not tired of sleeping?” he jokingly said. “Our little girl has been waiting for you. She needs you. She’s almost four months. I named her Aleyna and she looks like you.”

“Siwon, are you not going home?” Tiffany asked. The girls were also the regular visitors of Yoona. They were there all throughout. If not for them Siwon would have given up.

“You need to go home first. Go see Aleyna. Don’t worry we won’t let Yoona be alone. Will just be here if ever Yoona wakes up.” Jessica said demanding Siwon to go home.

“All right, I’ll go for now. I need to see my daughter also. I’ve been busy these days. So, I guess I should go. Update me if there’s any progress on Yoong’s condition.” Siwon left.

***

With a huge effort I wench my eyes open and incline my head a few inches.

. What the hell—

I’m lying in a dim room, on a metal bed. There’s a panel of buttons to my right, a bunch of flowers on the nightstand.

With an inward gulp I see an IV drip in my left hand, attached to a bag of fluid.

This unreal. I’m in a hospital.

What’s going on what happened?

I mentally prod my brain, but it’s a big, stupid, empty balloon.

I try peering around the room for clues—but my eyes don’t want to peer. They don’t want information.

Feebly I flop back into the pillows, close my eyes, and wait a few moments. Come on. I have to remember what happened.

Im holding on to my one fragment of memory like it’s an island in the ocean. A few more memories are coming back to me now. Slowly, slowly, in patches.

I was out with the girls. At the dodgy club with the pink neon ceiling. We went there out of an impulse. I was angry to my dad on insisting me to settle down. That’s it we argued. But none of it explains why I’m in a hospital.

And I still have no idea what I’m doing here. Now that I think of it, where are all the doctors and nurses? What if I was dying?

“Hello?” I call out. My voice sounds like someone dragging a grater over a wooden floor. I wait for a response, but there’s silence. I’m sure no one can hear me over that thick door.

Then it occurs to me to press a button on the little panel. And a few moments later the door opens. A nurse enters and smiles at me.

“Hello, Yoona!” she says. “Feeling all right?”

“I’m okay. Thanks. Thirsty. And my head hurts.”

She brings me a cup of water and helps me up. “Drink this.”

“Thanks,” I say after gulping the water. “So… I’m guessing I’m at the hospital?”

The nurse smiles. “Sorry. Hospital it is. You don’t remember how you got here?”

“No.” I shake my head. “I’m a bit hazy to be honest.”

“Do you remember anything about the accident?”

Accident…accident…

“I don’t think so.” I shake my head.

“I’m Sulli.” She takes the cup from me. “You’ve been here for quite some time. Almost a year.”

“Really?” I said surprised.

“Well, you seem fully coherent now. I’ll get the doctor. Is there anything I can get you?”

She head out and I look around the silent room. Still dazed. Where are they? I have been anxious to get home. I’ve been in a coma with an IV drip and everything. But obviously no one cares.

“Oh dear!” Jessica says as she enters the room. She saw me wiping my eyes. “Are you in pain?” she hands me a tablet. “the nurse told me to give you these. This will help.”

“Thank you very much.” I gulp down the pill. “But it’s not that. It’s my life.| I spread my hand hopelessly. “I can’t remember anything.”

“You don’t remember anything before the accident?” she asked.

“I don’t know. All I could remember is that we with the girls went clubbing. I invited you because I was pissed and annoyed with my dad insisting me to marry.”

“Yoong, that was three years ago,” she frowned. “OMG, you’ve got to be kidding me. You have amnesia.”

“What? Amnesia? What do you mean three years ago? The nurse told me I was in coma for almost a year. And before that I can’t remember anything.” I said confused.

 

***

 

“What do you mean? Tiffany asked.

“She only remembered the event from three years ago but not onwards.” Jessica replied.

“Let’s leave it like that. Let Yoona remember by herself. Don’t force her. It’s not good for her to be bombarded with info.” Taeyeon suggested. “Let Siwon decide on what he’s going to do with the situation concerning that they are not in good terms with one another and this add up the complications in their relationship.”

“We better visit Yoona in her room. She’s probably wondering why no one is present there.” Hyoyeon said.

“Let’s go girls.”

 

***

“Does my Dad come here often to visit me? He seems very busy to not be here now that I am awake.” Yoona asked.

The girls stared at each other it’s as if I’ve said something wrong. She looked at them curiously.

“Umm…Yoong your Dad had a heart attacked the moment he learned that you got into an accident. He was suffering from a heart disease already and that’s the reason he insist on you to settle down.” Yuri said seriously.

From her tone and their expression something serious happened to her Dad. She had a bad feeling about this.

“Where’s my Dad? Is he okay?” tears started to fall from her eyes.

“Sorry Yoong. You shouldn’t be hearing this kind of news considering you just recover from coma but you need to know. You’re Dad died two weeks after your accident. He did not make it.” Taeyeon said apologetically.

“No…nooo. Daddy! It can’t be. Tell me you’re joking. Right? Yoona is already hysterical.

“Yoona calm down.”

“Can someone go get the doctor to calm Yoona.”

 

***

 

Siwon went to the hospital to check on Yoona. He was busy dealing with the clients when he learned that Yoona has awakened and learned that she went hysterical.

“Siwon it’s good that you’re here.” Taeyeon said.

“How is she? Has she gained her memory?”

“That’s the problem there. We have a difficulty telling her on the death of her dad. But we can’t do something she had the right to know it. I don’t know about your situation. I can’t decide on that. It would be best that you’re the one to talk to her. You have to tell the truth. She’ll eventually find out.” Taeyeon explained.

“I don’t know.” He paused. “We end up so badly that I don’t know what to tell her. She might not accept it.”

“You’ll have to think of your daughter. She needs a mother.” Tiffany said.

“Well, I don’t want to force her to believe or to accept everything. The last time we talked she was not happy of being pregnant. And it would too much for her if I we give much information. I decided to let her remember everything. I won’t force it. I’ll tell her when the time comes. For now I’ll let her mourn for her lost father. Im not that cruel to bombard her with shocking news, it won’t do her any good.”

“If that’s what you think is the best then we respect your decision. But I don’t really think that’s the good idea.” Taeyeon explained.

Siwon sighed. “Just trust me on this. She’ll remember eventually. Just not now I think.”

“All right. I guess. We warned you on this.” Taeyeon said seriously.

“I’ll take responsibility of my decision. I am giving her the freedom she asked from me.” Siwon stand. “I guess I have to go. She’ll wake up soon. I don’t want to be seen. She’ll be curious of my presence.

“Don’t you think it is a good idea if she’ll see you? It may trigger her memory.” Jessica suggested.

“I have already decided. It is best she will not see me. I have to go. Take care of her.”

“Yeah whatever that’s your problem when it gets complicated. We warned you.” Jessica said icily.

 

***

 

The room is quiet and dim when Yoona woke up. Her thoughts are all cloudy, like a bomb site after the blast.

There’s as faint knocking at the door and she look up.

“Hello? Can I come in!”

Hi, Jessica unnie. Come in.

Jessica entered and sat on the sofa. “Hey, Yoona, I don’t want to bring this up when you’re feeling so ill and everything, but…” She twists a strand of hair, looking awkward.

“What?” Yoona look at her in surprise. “Tell me.”

“Well, it’s just that no one’s told you.”

“Told me what?”

“Personally, I think you should know sooner rather than later.”

“Know what?” Yoona feel a beat of alarm. “What, unnie? Tell me!”

For a moment Jessica seems to debate herself, then gets up. “Wait here.” She disappears for a few moments. Then the door opens again and she reappears, clutching a baby. She’s wearing overalls and she gives Yoona a sunny smile.

“This is Aleyna,” she says, her expression softening. “This is your daughter.”

She stares at them both, frozen in terror. What’s she talking about? She can’t be a mom.

“Jessica what are you talking about? She stares at her in suspicion. “Is this really my baby? Don’t tell me this is another shocking news I would be receiving. How would I have a baby I am not even married. Unnie you are joking. Where did you get her? You return it to her parents. They are probably looking for her.”

“Yeah I’m just joking. I saw this baby at the corridor. I borrowed her from her parents of course.  I want to see how you react knowing you have a baby. And I can tell from the expression of your face. You’re horrified. I’ll have to return this baby.” Jessica smiled and exited.

Yoona just shrugged and smiled on childish act of Jessica.

 

***

 

“Nurse have you seen Yoona? She’s not in her room.” Yuri inquired. She was worried that she might leave without telling them.

“We are so sorry Ms. Kwon. But we haven’t noticed. She’s just probably in the hospital garden. She’s always going there.” The nurse answered.

“Okay, thanks. Sorry for the interruption from your work.”

“Girls, look here’s a note I found from the drawer of her room.” Sooyoung waves the note she’s holding.

“What does it says?”

Unnies and Seohyun you are probably finding my whereabouts now but you don’t need to search for me. The moment you read this I am already boarding my way to where I wanted to be. I don’t want to tell you where I will be going and you don’t have to worry I will be fine. I just want to get over everything what’s happening to me. I hope you would understand my decision.