CHAPTER TEN

Marriage Trap (HIATUS)

YOONA’S POV

 

                The closer I get to the place the more I wanted to swing the car around in a tire-squealing one-eighty turn and head back to Paris where I belonged.

                The last time I was in Korea was six years ago. Because of those overwhelming happenings in my life I was forced to leave the country to recover from my grief. But I needed to be back to gather the pieces of me in which I’m still puzzled.

“I’m back,” I told the person I’m calling.

                “Really, Are you staying for good?” she asked in excitement. “Do I have to tell our other friends?”

Well, I can’t blame her if she’s that excited. I’ve been away for too long. And they’d understood my decision.

“Okay, slow down. Where are you now? Are you at work? I’ll come to meet you.” I said. I decided to come to her workplace.

“I’m still at school. I’ll wait for you since the kids will soon be dismissed.” She answered. She’s a music teacher. She loves kids.

I can’t wait to see her.

 

***

 

“I’m here already. I’ll just wait for you here at the parents waiting area.” I told Seohyun over the phone.

As I waited for Seohyun I looked around the place. Parents were all around fetching their kids. Then, I saw a little girl, maybe she’s five. She caught my attention. She’s on the brink of crying. Maybe no one’s going to fetch her I think. My heart melts at her sulking face. I should approach her.

“Hello there, little one. Your mom’s not here yet?” I said.

She just stared at me. From the moment I saw her face, I felt familiar. I just can’t point out who that person is.

“Right, how rude of me. I’m Yoona. And since you already know my name can you tell me what’s yours. And I’ll stay here with you while waiting for your mommy, okay.” I told her.

She smiled at me and it warms my heart. I don’t know why.

“I’m Aleyna.” She looked at me. “I don’t have a mom.” she said softly. I can see loneliness in her eyes.

“I’m sorry about that. So, who’s going to fetch you?” I asked.

“My dad is supposed to get me today. But I don’t think so. He always broke his promise anyway.” she said pouting.

How cute. I want to pinch her cheeks. “Don’t be sad unnie is here to accompany you until someone gets you.”

She didn’t reply. I sat beside her in silence. I stared at her the whole time which I should stop now. Maybe she’ll think I’m strange and creepy.

An old lady approaches us panting. “Baby, I’m sorry I am late. You’re dad informed me late. Let’s go. I’ll bring you to an ice cream parlor.”

The ajumma held her little hand and walk away. But the little girl turn back and it surprised me. She hugged me. “Thank you for accompanying me today. I wish we will meet again. Bye-bye.” She waved her hand.

“Bye-bye.” I smiled at her. I waved at them until they’re gone.

“Why are you in a daze?” Seohyun suddenly popped out. That startled me.

“Huh… I met a little girl just now and she’s very cute. ” I told her. “There’s something with the little girl that reminds me of someone. I just can’t point out who.”

Seohyun just shrugged and dragged me out. “Come on we still need to meet the girls and they are so excited to see you. You don’t have to force yourself with everything you want to remember. It can wait. Just take it easy.”