....:...

pulchritudinous

She sighs for the umpteenth time and settles her backpack on her shoulders. It was heavy as hell today and she hated Wednesday classes. The teachers always gave them too many assignments from too many books. Meaning the rest of her night would be spent with her nose in The Wonderful World of Ancient Incantations and Worldly Trades. Also known as the hardest class in the entire school.

Even though it's no ordinary school, Kyungsoo thinks it can't be much different then normal high school. Save for the headmaster having a wicked cause of the grumpies that he takes out on unsuspecting Tree Trolls, most of the time by lighting them on fire. Kyungsoo would feel bad if the Tree Trolls didn't always try to steal her beanie on her way to class.

She drags her feet through the throngs of teens aching to get home just as bad as she is. She doesn't stop and blows off Baekhyun when she tries to get Kyungsoo's attention. Baekhyun is annoying but tolerable. Except when Kyungsoo has a pounding headache. Right now she's just not in the mood.

The bus stop ahead of her seems crowded and she sighs again. There's nothing exciting about being squished on a bus with antsy kids and sweaty elderly. Kyungsoo looks up at a laughing group of girls in front of her only because they're making the headache worse if anything. But then she sees her.

Kyungsoo thinks she is definitely the school's prettiest girl at the moment. She laughs precariously and brushes her hair over one shoulder, smiling when their eyes meet. And Kyungsoo forgets how to breath. Forgets how to respond and most importantly how to control the fiery blush creeping onto her face.

Kyungsoo just gapes and forces herself to look away. Out of the corner of her eye she can see that the girl is already back into deep conversation again. She sighs at her own inability to keep control around a pretty girl.

Ten minutes later finds Kyungsoo on a packed bus. Well mostly packed save for the empty seat next to a girl in the back. Kyungsoo can see that it's the same girl from moments before on the street, and she still can't breathe.

But by some miracle her feet move her down the aisle quickly before she's standing in front of the stranger. "Excuse me?" Kyungsoo says and flexes her hands by her sides. "Can I sit here?" She gestures to the seat occupied by a lone backpack. "Oh yeah! Sorry." The girl smiles and moves the bag into her lap.

They're shoulder to shoulder now and it really isn't helping that Kyungsoo can smell the other's fruity perfume. It's quiet save for the muffled sound coming from another student's headphones a couple seats up. Kyungsoo looks out the window and can see the girl's reflection, and she must be dreaming cause she's looking right back at her.

"You're a grade 4 aren't you?" She asks and Kyungsoo turns to her not to be rude. "Yes. And you're a grade 2." Kyungsoo doesn't usually associate with the underclassmen too much. That could land you a serious swirlie in the abandoned bathroom in building 4. "I'm Oh Sehun." Her hand looks incredibly soft when she reaches out for a handshake. "Do Kyungsoo." 

Their hands touch and sparks fly behind Kyungsoo's eyes and goes slack a little. She can't tell by the blank expression whether Sehun felt it too, she hopes she's only hallucinating or something. Maybe she botched a charm earlier and it's some weird after effect.

"Wow." Sehun pulls her hand away and stares at it like she's been burned. "I'm sorry." Kyungsoo apologizes quickly in case she did something wrong. "That was beautiful." Sehun sounds breathless and Kyungsoo can see her neck starting to turn red. It's awkward now. She definitely feels the air change.

The bus screeches to a halt and it snaps them both out of their trances, caught staring at each other with no blinking. Kyungsoo's eyes burn now.  "This is my stop! I'll see you tomorrow?" Sehun asks and hurries to collect her stuff and get up. But she runs off the bus before Kyungsoo can fathom an answer.

 

Kyungsoo stares at the much taller girl hanging over Sehun across the cafeteria. Sehun is laughing but the tall girl looming over her looks intimidating even from here. "Are you paying attention?" Baekhyun snaps from the across the table and hits Kyungsoo in the forehead. In return making her choke on the half-swallowed piece of apple in . Baekhyun just rolls her eyes.

"Professor Zhang is totally going to fail me." Baekhyun slams her head down on the textbooks on the table. They do nothing to stop the pain in Baekhyun's face now. "You should've done the project." Kyungsoo laughs and ruffles the others hair. Baekhyun just groans and slams her hands on the table, "Who the assigns grade 5s to plant and dissect a Roman Spell Trap?" 

Two periods later and Kyungsoo is never happier to get out early. She tells herself she's excited for the new documentary set to record at home. She tells herself she's excited to get out of the uniform and sit in her underwear and eat all the junk food she can afford.

But she knows that's not why she's really excited when she sees Sehun walking to the bus stop, this time alone. She looks sort of out of place in the crowd without her giant friends flanking her. Her shoulder length pink hair bounces in small curls in her ponytail and Kyungsoo is jealous. She could never get her hair to do that.

Kyungsoo stands close behind her, maybe a little too close. But damn she can smell her perfume again and Kyungsoo bets it'd taste just as good as it smells. She leans forward on her toes a little and inhales. She rocks back onto her heels when she catches a male student giving her a weird look. She's once again been caught being creepy.

This time there are plenty of empty seats but Kyungsoo moves to the empty seat in the back. "Can I sit here?" Kyungsoo asks though if Sehun's smile is any indication she already knows the answer. "Of course, Unnie." Kyungsoo scoffs and takes a seat. "Don't call me unnie, just Kyungsoo." It makes her feel older than she actually is. "O-okay, un- I mean Kyungsoo!" And Sehun's blushing again.

It's quiet once again and Sehun slips headphones into her ears. Kyungsoo just briefly glances over and sees the song title and artist flashing on the screen of her phone. Kyungsoo taps her and Sehun takes one headphone out. "You like Girl's Generation too?" Sehun nods and Kyungsoo admires her curls once again. "Wanna share?" Sehun offers up a headphone.

Kyungsoo takes it but this time avoids their fingers brushing. Last time was weird enough without it happening twice in the same week. The tune to Genie blares out and soon Sehun's feet are tapping on the bus floor to the beat. Kyungsoo loves this song but she isn't really paying attention to the words.

She's looking at Sehun's captivating smile, pink lips pulled over perfectly white teeth. The second chorus is ending and Sehun looks over through half lidded eyes, her smile taking up half her face. "What? Is there something on my face?" Her head tilts to the side and Kyungsoo draws a blank.

"You're beautiful?" She hadn't meant it as a question but she guesses it's better than nothing. There's no taking this back now. There's no mistaking the bright red splotching Sehun's face. "W-what?" Sehun almost drops her phone on the floor. Kyungsoo catches it before it falls and it unplugs the headphones. The ending to Genie blares and echoes around the dead silent bus.

They're both frozen until an elderly lady yells at them to shut it off. They both bend to pick it up and bump heads along with fingers. And there's that instant spark again. They both pull back and Kyungsoo now has ahold of Sehun's phone. The bus stops and it's Sehun's stop. The younger grabs her bag and bolts off the bus without a word.

Kyungsoo doesn't realize what exactly has happened until the phone in her hand buzzes and vibrates. She quickly ends the call from someone named Yeollie and sinks into the oblivion the seat is offering. This is so embarrassing. More embarrassing then that time Kyungsoo summoned a Truth Rose instead of a Death Tulip, and the damn thing spilled Kyungsoo's biggest secret to everyone in class.

The secret being that Kyungsoo was absolutely and 100% confirmed lesbian.

 

"I don't know, Luhan. How am I suppose to return her phone if I have her phone?" Kyungsoo rolls onto her back and presses her own cellphone closer because she can barely hear her cousin as it is. She keeps staring at Sehun's much smaller phone above her head, clutched so tight in a fist her knuckles are discolored. "Look through the contacts for a house number or something?"

Kyungsoo sighs because maybe her cousin wasn't the person she should've called. "Maybe a home address that way you could take your creepy little crush quest to her in person." Luhan is laughing and Kyungsoo wants to punch her through the phone.

"Give it to her Monday." Luhan just keeps talking as Kyungsoo admires the jewel stickers that smell out 'Oh' in small sparkly letters, on the back of Sehun's pink phone. Kyungsoo can imagine the color pink being Sehun's favorite color and she smiles. "I had a college friend once who took a phone to the police and they handled finding the owner."

"Luhan, I'm not going to the police. That'd be a total waste of time. And I can't give it to her Monday because I mortally humiliated myself yesterday." Kyungsoo rolls onto her side to look out the window at the imposing storm rolling in. "It'll get better. Listen sweets, you gotta calm down. She's probably more embarrassed then you anyways." Luhan chuckles but this time it doesn't sound as mocking.

"You're so much help. I gotta go." Kyungsoo can hear the front door slam and she knows her parents are home. Kyungsoo isn't suppose to associate with the human half of the family, or so her mother lectures every chance she gets. "Parents home?" Luhan sounds disappointed and sad and Kyungsoo just feels terrible for her parents lack of respect or family values. "Yeah. Goodnight, Lulu."

 

Sunday afternoon Kyungsoo gets woken up by a phone ringing with an unfamiliar ringtone. At first she thinks she's still dreaming until the rings are accompanied by vibrations against her leg. Kyungsoo grabs the phone that was left abandoned in the sheets and looks at the screen. It's number that flashes as 'work' and Kyungsoo's stomach bottoms out a bit.

She sits up and answers it. "Kyungsoo? Do Kyungsoo?" Sehun sounds somewhat panicked on the other end. "Yeah?" Kyungsoo looks at the clock and inwardly groans. "Thank God! I thought I dropped my phone on the street." Sehun instantly sounded relieved. "You kind of ran off without it. Don't worry I've kept it safe."

"Thanks you so much." There's some muffled music in the background and Kyungsoo can barely make out the English song. "No problem. So are we exchanging at school or what?" Kyungsoo wanted to suggest they meet up today. Kyungsoo would really like that, like a lot more than she probably should. "Can we today? My aunt owns a shoe store on 85th, you could come by?" Sehun sounded nervous.

"Sure." Kyungsoo was wide awake at the prospect of getting to redeem herself from the other day. "Good." Sehun sighed and Kyungsoo wished she could feel the other's breath through the phone. Kyungsoo pulled a face at the thought and muttered a quick, "Good. Can't wait." And hastily hung up.

 

Sehun looked up at the sound of the bell above the store door softly jingling. Kyungsoo smiled and held up the phone. When she was standing in front of the register she slid it onto the counter. "No." Kyungsoo answered an unspoken question and Sehun looked taken aback. "No, I didn't go through your phone." Kyungsoo smiles just a little harder.

"Oh." Sehun blushes and shoves the phone into her jeans pocket. Kyungsoo would be lying if she said Sehun's didn't look amazing in them. 

Sehun wiped her hands on her apron and heads for the women's section in the back of the store. There were no patrons in the rather deserted store. "So about what I said," Kyungsoo started and followed Sehun maybe a little too closely again. "Oh." Sehun changes colors again and Kyungsoo giggles.

"It's true you know. I think you're beautiful." Now was Kyungsoo's turn to turn pink in the cheeks and neck and ears and arms. Sehun stopped pulling out an empty box from a shelf and turned, her hair flipping Kyungsoo in the face. But she didn't mind it too much. Baekhyun always wiped her with hair on purpose. She's become immune to it.

"You do?" Sehun peers up through parted bangs that hang from a loose ribbon clip. There's stray hair coming out of the clip and Kyungsoo sweeps it behind her ear again. But she doesn't remove her hand instead she moves it down to cradle Sehun's cheek. "Don't you?" Kyungsoo asks.

"No. No one's ever told me." Though Kyungsoo laughs because that sounds completely absurd. But when Sehun's face falls Kyungsoo quickly backpedals. "Really?" And Sehun nods with somewhat misty eyes. Kyungsoo steps forward and pushes Sehun against the shelf of high heels two sizes too small to fit either of them.

"I think you're breathtaking." Kyungsoo should be embarrassed but she can't bring herself to be. Sehun smiles but it still doesn't resemble the one she had that day on the bus while listening to Girl's Generation. "You're being way too nice." Kyungsoo never took her to be so low on self-esteem. Sehun carries herself with confidence at school.

Sehun's hands slip down to Kyungsoo's waist and she clutches at the fabric of the older's graphic tee. "Why?" Sehun asks and looses eye contact. "Why what?" Kyungsoo can smell a different perfume today but this one smells just as good. "Why do you find me beautiful?"

"You're really nice for starters. You have impeccable taste in music and perfumes. And I really like that shade of pink on your lips." This sounds nothing like what Kyungsoo had planned. "But I also like how easy you are to be around. Your face is really nice too." They both giggle.

It happens fast. One minute Kyungsoo thinks Sehun will start crying and the next Sehun is kissing her. Kyungsoo nudges Sehun farther into the shoe shelf and her hands move down to Sehun's back pockets, sliding her hands inside and gently kneading. Sehun pulls away and looks embarrassed again.

Then Kyungsoo initiates a kiss and the force behind it knocks some boxes from the top shelf. Sehun acts on reflex and suddenly the shoes are suspended in mid-air by a small whirlwind of air. Kyungsoo looks at Sehun's hand where the wind is coming from, "Wow."

Kyungsoo never pegged her for an Wind Element. But she also never pegged Sehun to actually be this accepting this easily. "Wanna go out?" Kyungsoo asks and nuzzles against Sehun's cheek. "Yes." Sehun sounds breathless again as the shoe boxes crash to the floor away from them.

 "I'd love to."

 

-----------

I re-read after a firned pointed out i left some 'hes' and 'his'. So i fixed it. If you see any that I overlooked again can you please tell me? I'd appreciate it greatly.