Two

Suns In The Nighttime

It was nine PM and the night sky was clear.

“So Hansol, why are you still here?” Ha Yi asked. She was in a purple dress and her hair was up in a simple bun.

“I was planning to spend the night and return the keys to the landlady tomorrow.”

“Well alright.” Ha Yi pulled out two chairs. She sat on one and patted the other, signaling Hansol to sit down. He obeyed and sat down awkwardly.

The two of them looked at the starry night sky.

“The best thing about this part of Seoul is that there isn’t much streetlight to camouflage the starlight. And I think this is the best seat in the house. ” Hansol said softly.

“I think so too. That’s why I bought the place.” She replied. “So what does it feel like? Oh look, it’s the big dipper.” She pointed to the constellation.

“What what feels like? And it’s not. It’s clearly the little dipper.” He corrected

“Getting your wish to come true on the same day? And it’s a matter of perspective Mr. Choi, I think that it’s really big. ” She looked at him.

“Suit yourself. And oh, it feels, rather, good.”

“Yeah me too. It feels good that someone likes my jazzy singing voice.” She smiled.

They look up again.

“So, stars for you are balls of hot glowing gas that are billions of miles away?”

“Pretty much. Isn’t that the truth?” She asked.

“I know that’s what all those astronomers say but what if they aren’t?”

“But the sun is proof.”

“What about the sun?” He asked.

“It’s the biggest and brightest star. The other stars shine only when it goes down.”

“Hey, you’re wrong. Canis Majoris is the largest star. It’s also the brightest.”

“Looks like someone’s a bookworm.”

“Nah, just the son of a science teacher. I heard she’s your teacher in grade school. Does the name Mrs. Choi ring a bell?”

“Oh my gosh! No way! You’re Mrs. Choi’s son? She’s like, the best teacher of all time!” she exclaimed.

“I know. And she’s the best mom of all time.”

“You’re lucky. You’ve got a science teacher for a mother. You know all the stuff there is to know.”

“Not exactly, I mean, I still have to know more important stuff.”

“Ah. So, do you sometimes think about the stars’ identities?”

“Like? Physical? Chemical?”

“Maybe. Like, if they’re really stars. How do the astronomers know that stars are made up of hot glowing gas that are billions of miles away?”

“With Science. They study, they have telescopes, and they have the sun.”

“So, how can they be so sure? Have they ever been to a star?”

“If you attempted to travel to a star you would die.”

“How can you be so sure? Did anybody attempt to travel to a star?”

“Many have. They have all failed. The journey itself is too long that if you actually reach a star, you’d be dead.”

“Well, I think they’re just going the wrong way. Maybe there’s a shortcut. Or maybe stars are just really small. Maybe they’re made by the Tyndall effect. The phenomenon that dust scatters light.”

“Oh look, someone’s a bigger bookworm. And maybe you are right. It’s all a matter of perspective.”

“I think so too. But what if stars are not what we think they are? Like really far from what we think they are? Not dust from my Tyndall theory or glowing gas as the astronomers say they are.”

“So, tell me your craziest theory on what stars are.”

“Lighters.”

“Oh, that song. Okay, that’s just crazy.”

“Hey, Isaac Newton was accused of being crazy but he was right all along about gravity wasn’t he?”

“Yeah sure whatever. But stars as lighters aren’t really plausible.”

“Well that’s your opinion. And I have another question. Out of many for the night.”

“Okay. I’d be happy to answer all of your questions.”

“So, how does this constellation stuff get together?”

“It’s a matter of perspective.”

“They don’t look like the exact images to me. Not even wireframes or connect the dots. Now I think that’s not the real deal.”

“Like you said, it’s a matter of perspective. I think the only constellations that I can decipher are the big and little dippers.”

“How? I can’t even distinguish them, they look the same.”

“Yeah, they are the same. Except for one little detail.”

“What?”

“The Polaris. It’s the star that can’t be moved. From what we see here on earth at least.” Hansol points to the most prominent star of the constellation in the sky.

“Oh yeah. It’s really bright. For all we know Canis Majoris would have a run for its money for being the biggest and brightest star.”

“Maybe. Like what you said, I’m starting to question things now.”

“Don’t get me started on the Moon Landing.”

The two of them talked more about theories and stars.

--

“But that’s really awesome. Not everyone knows that the sun is a star.”

“Yes. It may be the nearest star, but it’s certainly not the brightest.”

“Wise words my good man.”

“What makes them wise?”

“I just thought that, it’s very similar to love. I think that a person exists for another person, but that person that another person that is existing for already has another person in his or her life. That’s why the two that were fated couldn’t ever meet, more be friends or lovers.”

“You lost me at person.” He joked.

“Okay give a concrete example.”

“You and BAP’s Zelo’s staged relationship.”

“Wait.” Ha Yi took a long look at Hansol. “How did you know it was staged?”

“For me, it’s so obvious. Your relationship is more of a touchy-feely and not really lovey-dovey.”

“You lost me at touchy.” She mocked.

“Never mind. Just you and Zelo as the example.”

“Okay. I am Lee Ha Yi. Maybe someone out there, anyone, everyone, exists for me as my lover. He or she is out there—“

“You believe in same- relationships?”

“Yes. As far as you know, you’re new to the Kpop industry. I’ve been here for years. It’s almost as gay and lesbian as anime. Though I am not lesbian, I think love exists for all regardless of gender.”

“Continue to the example.”

“Okay. I am Lee Ha Yi. Maybe someone out there, anyone, everyone, exists for me as my lover. He or she is out there. Maybe, uhhmm” Ha Yi stopped for a while. “Maybe it’s you!”

“Me?! What?”

“Stop overreacting! You’re just an example.”

“Okay. Continue.”

Maybe you’re the one for me but fate does not allow us to because of, you know, Junhong…” She trailed off.

“Maybe. But if it was me? Would you take a risk and break up with Junhong and be with me instead?”

“There’s no guarantee so no. I wouldn’t take a risk.”

“But what if it was me?”

“There’s no certainty Hansol.”

“The world is filled with uncertainty Ha Yi. As we’ve talked about earlier. We don’t know if the sun is really a star or if stars are made out of lighters. What if it was really me Ha Yi?”

“Then it’s sad. Not only for you but for me as well. I may experience love in the future, but I can’t experience love as great as yours.”

“Well, it’s okay. As long as we got to the extent that we know each other right?”

“Yeah. It’s really nice. You’re sitting beside me, at least we’re friends.”

“Friends? Really?”

“Of course, I haven’t talked to anyone as interesting as you, not even Zelo.”

“You’re still going with the staged relationship?”

“I have to. Both of us are forced into this. But I’m growing to love Junhong even more. He said likewise to me. I think this will work.”

“Okay.”

“Why the glum tone Hansol?”

“Just, nothing. Never mind.”

“What is it? You can tell me.”

“It’s just, well, I think I’m really jealous.”

“Nah, it’s an initial reaction. I’m just your ideal type—“

“No, you’re not just my ideal type. You’re my inspiration, why I wanted so hard to become an idol. You make people happy and I wanted to do the same. You’ve made me, my sister, and my mother happy on that dreaded day. Even if you don’t know the whole story, I just want you to know that you’re not just an infatuation but an inspiration, someone that I would be willing to live for.”

“But, why?”

“Well I guess that’s love for me. I have no concrete reason to love you. I don’t know you but I’ve fallen, like a shooting star.”

“That’s corny but so sweet. My heart isn’t going to take it.”

“Ah, this is so embarrassing.”

“Don’t be. But just in case that it really is you, here’s a little something.”

Ha Yi pecked Hansol on the cheek.

“You have officially made me fall in love with you further.”

“Falling like a lighter. I like that.”

“I wish stars are just lighters.”

“Why?”

“They make you happy, and besides, they’re not boring compared as stars just being suns in the nighttime.”

“Yeah, the inner mechanisms of a lighter does spark up my interest.”

“I see what you did there.”

“I can’t believe it! You saw the pun? Like—“

“The flint on the lighter, sparks, yeah. It just proves that we’re both nerds.”

“Nerd-dols, I like that.”

“I like it too.”

“So, we haven’t slept for four hours now, it’s already two AM.”

“I leave at seven later.”

“Then we have few time. You should go to sleep, I already stole rest from you.”

“It’s okay, I did the same to you.”

“But I have a free day today, unlike you.”

“I’ll manage.”

“Just sleep Hansol.”

Hansol closed his eyes and let the tiredness take a toll on him.

Ha Yi smiled at her new friend and fetched a blanket downstairs from the left-over stuff of the Choi’s. She draped the soft cloth over Hansol and patted his head. She turned off all the lights and left.

--

Ring ring

Hansol’s phone rung, He checked the caller ID, it was Jisoo. He picked it up.

“Dude, head on over, it’s already six thirty.”

“Oh right, okay I’ll be over.”

“Take care dude. What happened anyway at your house?”

“Mom, dad, divorce, properties, and all that stuff.”

“Oh, okay. Just be careful okay?”

“Sure, what happened, you keep telling me to be careful.”

“Just, nothing. I just really care.”

“Sure Mr. Mature. Bye.”

Hansol stretched and stood up, letting the blanket fall to his feet. He picked it up and folded it over, carrying it.

He went locked every door that he went through and left the key at the landlady’s mailbox next door where she had requested previously.

He went on to board the bus, feeling a million times better than he did before. Even before the subtle confession.

He felt for the gem he had picked up in his pocket.

“Hmm, Ha Yi must’ve took it. Or I left it at home. Oh well, I’d buy Sofie another one instead.” He said to himself.

Finally he reached his destination. He stepped down the bus and walked to the dorm.

He opened the door and found Jisoo waiting at the step. He had a sad expression on.

Jisoo hugged Hansol ever so firmly.

“Whoah, whoah. What’s with the bromance dude?”

“It’s just, “Jisoo was hesitating. “Come with me to the living room.”

“Okay.” Hansol followed Jisoo into the living room, the members and their two managers were glued to the TV.

“Look dude.” Jisoo motioned to the TV screen.

Lee Ha Yi also known as Lee Hi the YG Baby, was found dead in her hotel room this morning wearing a purple dress and hair tied up in a bun, no signs of struggle were found. The cause of death is still unknown and fans all over the world are weeping for the loss of yet another great young artist.

Hansol was flustered, blood draining from his face.

“It doesn’t make sense.”

“I know, she doesn’t deserve to die.”

“No, not that. It’s, never mind—“Hansol trailed off, his voice dripping with melancholy.

He directed his eyes to the television screen once again.

News Flash: It was found that Lee Ha Yi was suffering from a heart disorder and had cardiac arrest alone in her hotel room at exactly eight PM.

“This isn’t right.” He muttered to himself, he was talking to a live girl last night.

She was found dead at two AM, alone. Only two items were found in her dress pocket.

 

An amethyst star charm and a folded up paper star.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note

Okay. This was really hard to write. Really long and really tough.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

There will be a epilouge  :)