Promise

The Unfulfilled Promise

A/N: Place your name in _____

 

     I raise my arm to check on my wristwatch. "Aish, she should be here by now."

     Again, I repeat my action. It's been 15 minutes.

     A double pats land on my shoulder from the back. I turn immediately and a view of someone I've been expected come into my sight.

     A girl, wearing a very lovely floral shirt with a pair of dark brown jeans, curves a smile on her lips. "Sorry..." She tucks a strand of her straight and long black hair behind her ears. "I've got some problems at the cafe just now. I'm very sorry."

     With that smile she's wearing, how can I keep on being mad with her? "It's fine. Can we go now?" I reach out my hand and she grabs it unhesitatingly.

     "Where are we going?" She questions.

     "Let's take a walk at the park."

     "But, it's already dark."

     "Doesn't matter." I flash a grin and pull her towards the park. Only few people are here at this hour of the day.

     We walk through the night with our fingers intertwine, accompany by the sound of the lake flowing and crickets singing. The path brightens by the dim light of the street lamp.

     I sneak a glance at her. Having her hand in mine, I feel as if she belongs to me. Adrenaline flows inside of me. She's the most beautiful girl I've ever met, next to my mother. She understands my busy schedule, and more importantly, she's always there when I needed someone, despite her busy life as a high school student and work part time at the cafe. I'm thankful to have her as my girlfriend, though she's not the 1st, but she's the best and hopefully the last one. 

     I begin the conversation, "How's work?"

     "Aren't I the one who supposed to ask my idol boyfriend, how he's been up too these few days?" She loosens her grips.

     I don't try to catch her hand back. My smile fades as I see hers too. Guilty is conquering me. I know I did wrong. I abandoned her for almost a week. No text. No call. I should at least give her a short text.

     "I was on tour... with my group members..." Words are hardly coming out from my mouth even though it's the truth. "Around Japan."

     She stops her pace and crosses her arms across her chest. "Really? Now you tell me? Why didn’t you just wait 'till the end of the year instead?" She says, sarcastically.

     "____. Forgive me... it's a last minute plan. Our manager told us at the 11th our. I'm very sorry."

     “If it’s not because of twitter, I wouldn’t know if you’re still alive or not.” She stares deeply into my eyes before a long heavy sighs releases from her thin lips. "I'll accept your apology, with one condition."

     I raise my eyebrows waiting for her to finish her sentence.

     "Promise me you'll inform me the next time you have to go abroad or anything that makes you leave me."

     "Hey," I pull her closer to me. "I did not and will never leave you. You hear me?" I pause. My voice changes to a more serious tone. "Don't use that word again."

     She blinks in surprise before nodes her head several times. "Okay, whatever. Promise?"

     I kiss her cheek, which result her to be blushing. "Yes. I do."

     "Good. Now, let me go and let's have something to eat." She pushes me and rubs her stomach.

     "Of course." I giggle. "Where do you want to eat?"

     "Can we go over there?" She points to a stall that's quite far from where we stand. It’s across the road at the exit of this park.

     "Definitely." We get back with our pace.

     It's very pleasing having her right next to me. She clutches her arms around mine and rests her head on my shoulder.

     "You're very different tonight." I smirk.

     She pouts and hit my arm lightly, before back to her previous position.  "I don't know why but I kinda miss you, so much." She murmurs.

     "Yup. Me too." I don't fix my eyes on her this time. The stars in the sky are becoming the witness of my words. “I’ll try my best not to ever leave you. Alright?"

     "I know." ____ changes back to her original personality.  Being bubbly is what she's good at and what attract me. "Can we hurry up? My stomach's grumbling like crazy." She quickens her steps and wait for me at the side of the road. "Hurry!" She waves at me. 

     I snicker seeing how excited she is when it comes to food. No, she's not fat. No matter how much she eats, she still has that good silhouette. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say how lucky she is. She works for it. Doesn't matter how hectic her day, she'll make time to exercise.

     ____ wait for me so that we can cross the road together.  While walking towards her, an old lady stands next to her. I watch them closely when I notice my girlfriend's trying to greet her. I don’t know if that lady is a friend of her or she’s just trying to be friendly.

     I’m getting nearer to them. I thought ____ would still wait until I come to her, but instead she wraps her arm around the old lady’s shoulder and turn to her left and right. I can tell that she’s helping the old lady to cross the road. Without waiting for me, she brings the old lady in her arm and with a warm smiles she gives to me, she crosses the road.

     I’m less than a metre from them but they’re already in the middle of the road. I thought I’m able to catch up with her but then my foot suddenly rooted to the ground. My heart pounds so fast when a loud honk sound along with a very bright light catch my attention.

     The skidding car fails in attempt to brake before hitting them – hardly. In a blink of an eye, the old lady already tumbles at the other side of the road but unfortunately for ____, she’s lying, writhing on the road. The car driver, drives off from the scene as if nothing’s happened.

     I run to her. “No!”  Kneeling besides her, I rest her head on my lap. Shaking her body to avoid her from closing her eyes. “Wake up, ____. Wake up.”

     One of the customers at the stall quickly calls an ambulance. While others storming to us, circling ____ and me in the middle of the hard rough surface of the road. Two to three people are trying to check on us and they’re talking to each other. But I give no attention to any of them. I can listen to their mumbling but I am attentive to none of their words.

     “Sun...gyu?” She struggles to say my name. Bloods are flushing out from the back of her head like a river. My lower limbs can feel the warmth of the blood. Her pretty blouse screws by the bloods and torn at some part.

     My lips tremble frantically, noticing her face becoming more and more pale. No words are coming out. My uneven breath fills the silent between us. There’s nothing I can do for her at this moment except for dripping out tears from my eyes as if it’ll never have another chance to flow out again. I hold her tightly in my arms.

     Her bloods stain my shirt and jeans. I don’t care about that. The girl I love is dying in front of me. She reaches out her hand try to cares my face. I pull her hand closer. “Help will be here soon. Be strong. Don’t go… Please…” My hoarse voice can reach her. She heard it. A smile is forces on her lips.

     “I… I…” She wants to say something but the coughs prevent her to do so. More dark red fluids are cough out from . “I am… so… tired.” Her eyes are drooping. “I want to sleep. Can… I?” She makes an effort not to close them, by looking up at me.

     “No, no, no. Don’t sleep.” I wobble her weaken body harder, to keep her stay awake. “You have to wait ____. The ambulance is here.” The siren sounds from the ambulance ease me a little. A doctor and a paramedic rush to ____. Another paramedic is carrying a stretcher. They lift her up to the stretcher, get her into the white truck and drive to the nearest hospital.

     I sit next to her in the ambulance, entwining my fingers with hers. “We’re almost there. Hang on okay?” I wipe my tears away using my shirt’s sleeve.

     The doctor who is sitting right opposite of me, reads her heart rhythms and then check on his wristwatch. His expression is not what I wanted. He stares at _____ for a moment and then back at me. He purses his lips and says, “Pray for her.”

     At this moment, I’m not sure if she can survive. She doesn’t have much time anymore. The truth is ripping my heart apart. It hurt so much.

     “Sungyu...” She pulls the machine that’s helps giving her the oxygen needed from her face. I shift closer to her. Our distance is just an inch from one another.

     “I… love… you.” She murmurs to my ear. Slowly. Her grips on my hand loosen.

     “No, you can’t go now. How am I supposed to keep my words?” Again my tears are coming out. “I promised that I wouldn’t go away from you, but you’re the one who’s trying too.”

     No answer is coming from her. She’s still breathing but it’s getting fainter. ____’s heart rate are getting slower.  

     Beeeeep. A long high pitch sound is heard inside the truck. The doctor checks her pulse. “Nothing.” He notifies. Promptly he does a CPR on her. I just sit there, watching the doctor tries to save her and pray.

     Sadly, my prayer is not being answered. My love is gone. Forever. I sink my head to her chest, crying my heart out. “Don’t leave me, please…”

    I can’t believe that ___’s gone. Just a second ago, she was laughing happily with me and now, she’s dead. She’s no longer in this world. She won’t tell me about how her day was. She wouldn’t appear in front of my house. She won’t laugh at my silly jokes. She wouldn’t cry on my shoulder and she wouldn’t react to my sarcasm anymore. No. She wouldn’t do any of that any longer.

    “I’m truly sorry.” The middle aged doctor put his arm around my shoulder. The ambulance truck parks in front of the hospital. They turned off the siren. Before they continue the procedures that they need to do, I say my last words to her.

     “You’re my everything. My love… my joy… my pain… my promises.”  I give her, one last kiss on her now cold forehead and this will be the last time I see her.

     “Goodbye ____.”

 

 

 

 

Thank you for reading you <3 Don't forget to upvote, subscribe and leave a comment! XD