Dibs and Holding Hands

M.B.B.

 

 

DARA

 

 

“Ji, just call her Dara and Dara, just call him Ji, okay?” Bom said.

 

“Okay” I said, wondering why he transferred school during senior year.

 

“So Ji, how did you know about Dara?” Bom asked.

 

“Met her on the bus” Ji said. Bom took in his explanation and believed him.

 

I was wondering why he said we met on the bus, and wondering what the blonde hair was for.

 

 “Why do you have blonde hair?” Bom asked, as if reading my thoughts.

 

“Yeah, I thought it’d be nice to change hair color since I changed school, makes me look cool” he said and shrugged his shoulders.

 

“It looks good on you.” Bom praised.

 

He did look good, I have to admit. I was silent all this time observing him, letting him and Bom carry the conversation.

 

 

Just then the bell rang, and we went to our classrooms.

 

It was just our luck that all of us were classmates.  I was seated on Bom’s right and Ji was seated in front of Bom, diagonal to me.

 

The classes went on as usual, until it was lunchtime, and we all headed to the cafeteria. Ji followed Bom and me.

 

I hung back a little watching Bom and Ji talk, wondering whether we’d exist as a trio starting today. It bothers me and is made even more bothersome that other girls were eyeing Ji and that the guys who follow Bom and I were also eyeing him.

 

Ji went ahead and got food for us. Bom stayed with me in our usual place.

 

“Oh! I forgot to ask you. What were you supposed to tell me last night?” she asked.

 

“Oh that.” I thought. “Nothing much, I was just going to ask how you’re summer went. I was just excited that you’re back and that I missed you” I said.

 

“I missed you too, especially when we were in the hospital. I was so scared and I didn’t have anyone to hold my hand.” Bom said, pouting her lips.

 

“Aisht! You’re such a baby” I .

 

“But I’m okay with things now” she said and her face relaxed. “Although far-fetched, I was sort of hoping you’d tell me you met a boy last summer” she said.

 

“Well I did” I said unsure whether to continue.

 

“Really? Omo! Has the ice princess found her prince?” she gushed.

 

“Typical Bom to think like that.” I thought.

 

“Maybe you could double date with me and Ji” she said.

 

“Oh? Have you asked him?” I asked, curious.

 

“Not yet, but soon. I think this is it Dara. He’s the one I’ve been waiting for.” Bom said, sounding sure of herself.

 

“Good for you” I said, unsure. Bom must really be into him to say that.

 

“So what does your prince look like?” she asked.

 

“He had black hair that matches his eyes.” I said, thinking of him.

 

“How’d you meet him then?” she asked, curious.

 

“The first day of summer, on the train” I said, recalling the memory. “But let’s leave it at that.” I said, as I saw Ji approaching.

 

He sat beside me in front of Bom. He handed out our drinks and the sandwiches.

 

“Too bad, no corn” Bom complained, which made us all laugh.

 

Ji was sitting beside me across from Bom. I noticed Bom would steal glances at Ji and smile.

 

Out of the blue, Ji’s hand reached out and held mine under the table. I was surprised with what he did but I tried to keep it low. I did not want Bom to know. I tried to free my hand but he only held on so I squeezed his hand hard to let him know I was angry. He did not even flinch, instead he smiled at me.

 

I was eating my sandwich one-handed and so was he. Bom did not seem to notice.

 

 

The bell rang signalling lunch was over and I quickly let go of his hand. We headed back to class, and on went the lectures.

 

I was looking at Bom who was busy looking at Ji while Ji was focused on the lesson.

 

 

I was wondering where all of this is heading. The school year has just started but I was already missing summer.