Getting to know you

All tied up

"The chicken rice is the best! Unless you want the beef stew? Okay, let's get that!" Before she let him answer, Jessica yanked Jonghyun along, leaving Krystal and Heechul staring after them. Heechul glared darkly at Jonghyun's back and muttered something illegible before chasing after them. Krystal had no choice but to follow through the crowd.

Heechul caught up with them and squeezed himself between Jonghyun and Jessica. "So, best friend bonding time after school?" He gave his signature smile, making many girls stare with dazed eyes. "I was thinking of showing Jonghyun around, since he's new and all..." She looked away from Heechul and beamed at Jonghyun. "So, free after school?" Jonghyun gulped as he looked at Heechul's devil face. His face was actually quite scary when he did that. "Err, I think I'll pass..." Jessica's face hardened for a moment, obviously unhappy."Why not? You're free, aren't you?" Jonghyun looked from one scary face to the other. This was obviously not his day. "Maybe Krystal can show me around instead? Get to know her better..." Jonghyun awkwardly slung his arm around Krystal's shoulder. She froze in shock. Jessica's face hardened even more into a frown while Heechul's face lit up slightly. Krystal understood the situation. "F-fine by me..." She stuttered a little, completely aware of the minimum distance between them. Trust me... She thought and looked at Jessica. Jessica's face softened and she smiled. "Fine, get to know her all you want. But you're stuck with me for now!" Jessica slung her arm through Jonghyun's and resumed their original path. Heechul gave Krystal a grateful smile before catching up with them. "So as I was saying, where do you want to go? Starbucks, or the new mall?..." Krystal shook her head, smiling. What a two-sided love triangle.


People cleared the path for them, like they always did, throwing them looks. They closed the gap behind them as they walked pass, and then followed them, whispering and screaming.

Or rather screeching. Their terrible laughter sounded like screeching to Yoona and Yuri's ears. Many average people would want the earlier paragraph to happen to them, but they had no idea how it felt. The chances of feeling popularity or the opposite was 50/50. As we all know, they were the latter. They were constantly teased everyday, girls saying they were ugly and not the least bit y, while the boys just bullied them about... Well, everything.

They sat at their usual place, near the dustbin. Or, rather they sat on the floor beside the dustbin. Many evil people, especially girls, would "accidentally" aim their trash off course and a lot of rubbish would fall on Yoona and Yuri's heads. Mostly Yuri's head, because the elder would see the smirks on their faces and know what would happen. They were just so predictable. Yuri would have a slight satisfaction whenever they repeated the same tricks. Seems like they were too stupid to think of new taunts.

"So we meet again..." They ignored the voice, until they realised that there was no one else around. Their heads shot up. "You?!" Their eyes widened. "What are you doing here?" Yuri demanded. Minho rolled his eyes. "Stupid as she looks... Firstly, as you can see, I have an empty tray of food and rubbish in my hand," he waved it in the air. "Secondly, I transferred here. Didn't you hear me earlier, or were you both not listening? Quite impossible, all the girls had to be listening..." Yuri "tried" to suppress an eye roll. "Of course, I didn't realise." Her voice dripping with sarcasm. Something about him just brought out her bad side. Yoona looked at her unnie with big eyes. "Actually, I should be asking you what you are doing here, sitting by the dustbin. Pathetic..." He conveniently ignored her words,shaking his head in mock pity. Yuri clenched her fist in anger. Yoona put her hand over Yuri, and she calmed down immediately.

"Where is that boy? Don't tell me he ditched me..." Minho muttered and looked around. Jonghyun was no where to be seen. He stood there for a while. "On, and what are you doing here? Sorry, I wasn't listening..." A voice snapped him awake. Yuri and Yoona were standing, Yoona looking at him with big, curious eyes while Yuri looked at him, lifting a perfect eyebrow. Minho just noticed how Yuri's features were almost perfect, those eyebrows that looked like they were plucked, the hazel brown hair that matched the dark, almost black eyes perfectly. His eye shifted to Yoona. This was the first time he looked at the younger sister properly. Her eyes were a dark chocolate brown, lighter than her sister's, but her hair was darker and had a wave to it, unlike Yuri's straight hair. It looked so soft, that touching her hair would probably feel the same as touching a feather. Those doll eyes were large, eyelashes long and thick, like she was wearing mascara. He gladly admitted that Yoona looked better than her unnie, and he definately agreed that Yoona was much seemed like a much better person. As if anyone would like someone as annoying as-

"Yah! I asked you a question, I didn't ask you to stare at me and my dongsaeng, gaeguli!" His eyes widened. "Gaeguli? Who are you calling gaeguli you-"~ BRING~RING~BRING~RING~They fell silent and felt in their pockets. Minho took out his latest iPhone. Yuri took out the disposable phone that she shared with Yoona to contact their umma who worried herself sick about their safety.

"Yah! Kim Jonghyun, where are you?... No hyung? Who cares about not saying hyung? Anyway, where are you? I've been waiting for the longest- ... Jessica? Who's that?... That's no excuse- YAH KIM JONGHYUN!" Minho looked at the phone which said "call ended" and cursed, breaking into a run.

"Yeobosaeyo? Annyeong umma!... Neh... Araso... Neh... Araso umma... Dongsaeng, umma wants to talk to you!" Yuri passed the phone to Yoona and turned back towards the dustbin. Her earlier smile (caused by hearing her umma's voice) disappeared as she frowned at the empty space where the gaeguli (frog) once stood. "Psh, rude..." Yuri turned back to her beautiful dongsaeng and smiled as she gazed at Yoona's talking face lovingly.


The shrill bell rung, announcing the end of school. "Alright class, you are released." Everyone stood up and left. How disrespectful, not even greeting the teacher. But it was like an everyday thing. Come in, go out, come in go out, missing out all the normal greetings. Sheesh, what a school, and Jonghyun wasn't used to it. Wether or not it was a art programme school to boost your speciality and wasn't compulsory, greeting were a basic thing everyone should do.

Enough on that. Jonghyun felt someone tugging at his sleeve. "So, which place you want to see first?" Krystal looked past him, at Jessica. Jonghyun turned and looked too, spotting Jessica staring their way. "You sure you want to do this?" Krystal whispered. "We'll, there's no back out now, is there..." He sighed. "Any place is fi-" "YAH KIMJONGHYUNYOUCOMEHERE!" They spun around and saw Minho charging towards them, like an angry bull. A skinny angry bull.

"Do you have any idea how lost I've been? You're the one who said we'll go together! Then you ditched me and-" "Why are you so angry in the first place?" Jonghyun cut Minhi off, slightly confused. "Well, certain things happened, and you made me wait by the dustbin and get embarrassed by some annoying sdjdjsmnciendmdmdjsna..." He ended mumbling the last part, cheeks slightly pink. Jonghyun shook his head and rolled his eyes, dragging Krystal away (sneakily), leaving Minho mumbling like a crazy person by himself.

"So where first?" He asked a shocked Krystal. Who wouldn't be a little muddled up after suddenly being dragged away by someone, especially after leaving a seemingly deranged elongated-looking boy, who was probably still talking to himself. "Err, I'll show you the music rooms first, since you take music..." Krystal muttered something like shouldn't have agreed, Jessica and owe me. She stalked off, leaving Jonghyun to follow.

 

Once they stepped inside, Jonghyun eyes grew big and dreamy looking. It was a musician's paradise. There were all kinds of instruments. Although it was the instrument room, it wasn't musty, nor was it dusty. The white marble floor was sparkling clean, instruments similarly clean. They were all silver colored, none rusty, none had paint scratched out, all perfection.

They also had a wide array of traditional and wood instruments, all in tiptop conditIon.

"So this is where all that money goes..." Jonghyun mumbled, admiring the pearly keys on the piano, seemingly afraid to touch them and spoil the perfectness. "Go ahead..." Krystal murmured. "It's meant for all of us to play." Jonghyun looked at her with happy and excited eyes, before sitting down on the chair. He gingerly pressed down experimentally on a key.

It was so beautiful. 

The sound, it was rich and loud, clear. When the key slid down, it did not screech against each other. It was silent owls wings.

Just hearing it gave Jonghyun the jolt of desire to play, and he did.

 

And that was the moment Krystal saw the real Jonghyun. And she felt it. She heard it.

 

She understood it.

 

The melody, notes stitched together, forming a long roll of music, she saw the colours, love, honesty, joy. The colour of music played out. It didn't tell a story, it wasn't something that could be said.

 

It was something expressed. And Jonghyun expressed it. He played about the overwhelming feeling of love. Not sad, not happy. But just, love.

 

And through this few minutes listening to him play, she learnt something. Krystal learnt about Jonghyun. He didn't say things, he expressed it. The whole process didn't need words, it just needed him and music. And that was real composition of music.

 

Krystal wished it wouldn't end, but even beautiful things had an end.

 


Hehe, those waiting for Donghae,

 

Wait. :) don't worry, he will come in the next chapter. Probably. >.<